O-Line

Largent80

Reaction score
I started a D-Line thread and it's appropriate for an OL one.

FA. we have Fant, Ifedi, Hunt, Iupati.

Britt is coming off a serious ACL and is slated for 9 million on his next year.

So basically this entire unit save for Fluker and Brown are in in some sort of transition.

This is a huge concern because on both sides of the ball the Hawks were almost dead last.

I think Fant is too valuable to let go, but he has expressed he wants to start at LT for someone.
Britt may not even be available up to Camp and Hunt was blown backwards more than a $20 whore in Bangkok.
Iupati is a broken dude.
Ifedi?...what can you say after 5 years?

Fortunately, there are good options in the upcoming draft in the middle rounds for G, and earlier on there are some very good Centers. I think the Hawks need to draft at these spots. Even Pocic has been unreliable with injuries. A total upgrade across the line is needed.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Re-sign Fant, start him at Right Tackle, and promise him Left Tackle once Duane is done. I feel pretty strongly that D Brown will retire after 2020. He's had some injuries, albeit minor ones, lately. He's getting up there, but, he's still playing at a high level. So I think 2020 will be a great year for him, but I'm predicting that some team success, and minor injuries will cause him to consider his future next year.

Keep Joey Hunt, an economical, functional backup for Guard and Center.

Extend Justin Britt, bring his 2020 and future hits down some with a signing bonus. I don't want to go through another new Center when the rest of the line could be in flux.

Keep Ethan Pocic who is currently on IR

Keep Fluker. He played well, and was available most of the time.

Jamarco Jones, Left Guard. He can also fill in at Left Tackle in an emergency

Phil Haynes at Guard

Creature Man, Jordan Roos at guard

Draft/Sign a Left Tackle Prospect and Guard.

Don't forget Tight Ends in this equation.

Re-up Luke Willson! That guy is INVALUABLE as a blocker, pass catcher, and all around team mate!

Jacob Hollister, what a STEAL this guy was!

Will Dissly, no brainer. LOVE this man.

Swoopes on the Practice Squad

Draft/Sign a "young" Tight End, or an Offensive Lineman/Tight End Hybrid like George Fant or Gary Gilliam...OR Jason Peters.

Cut/Drop: Iupati, and Ed Dickson. Dickson is a great guy, great talent, but he's 32 years old and has a horrible injury history the past 3 years!

Considerations:

Jordan Simmons on IR. Has injury history, but deserves a look this year.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
We need to and always draft OL and we should.

Logan Stenberg is a huge mauling guard available in the draft. 3rd round grade. He could be an anchor for many years.

Solomon Kindley of Georgia declared, and he is a stud. If we could get those 2 in the draft we are set at G for years to come.

Both are mid round grades.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Drafting OL is huge this year. It's a draft strength outside of tackle and the Hawks need new young players (obviously).

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Anyone that has watched the Hawks for many years has to ask themselves, why does our O-Line suck?...After almost 50 years of fandom and this has been a question. Even in 2005 when we had Walter Jones and Hutch on the left side and Tobeck at C.

This is always a problem.

With RW as QB, its not so much on the OL for pass plays because he is so mobile. BUT having said that, when you have a guy like Ifedi who has 5 years in that position and knowing Russ' tendencies why does he consintently stink?

Well, maybe he doesn't because of that. RW may NEVER have a top tier OL because of his skill set and our offense.

Either way, we need road graters with nasty attitudes. It's who we are.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80 said:
Anyone that has watched the Hawks for many years has to ask themselves, why does our O-Line suck?...After almost 50 years of fandom and this has been a question. Even in 2005 when we had Walter Jones and Hutch on the left side and Tobeck at C.

This is always a problem.

With RW as QB, its not so much on the OL for pass plays because he is so mobile. BUT having said that, when you have a guy like Ifedi who has 5 years in that position and knowing Russ' tendencies why does he consintently stink?

Well, maybe he doesn't because of that. RW may NEVER have a top tier OL because of his skill set and our offense.

Either way, we need road graters with nasty attitudes. It's who we are.[/quote]

It's who we want to be

AgentDib

Reaction score
Two months ago I expected a huge turnover. Since then I have revised my opinion for a couple of reasons.

1) Brown coming back so quickly after knee surgery shows that he is still very motivated to play. Unless we decide to give the position to Fant then I think Brown continues for us in 2020.

2) Britt's injury and recovery makes it much more viable that we could renegotiate his 2020 number, particularly in the form of some sort of extension. Pat Kirwan's mantra was that you only ask players to take pay cuts if you are prepared to immediately cut them if they say no. Britt probably wouldn't make more on the open market this off-season than he could make here even with a lower number.

3) Jones and Haynes looked OK in the interior in limited play and Simmons will be coming off IR. Even Pocic could still have some promise given he was apparently playing through the core injury that ultimately sent him back to IR.

I think we will keep adding pieces but that our current squad and depth is reasonably OK when it comes to pass protection. It was the run blocking that really depended on Iupati - Britt - Fluker being healthy inside and fell off without Iupati and Britt (and our RBs). I expect one of our picks to be a big run blocking guard to compete for a starting position at LG.

xray

Reaction score
Other than Brown who will be 35 next season ; there is not even one indispensable O-lineman on the roster at this time .
I hope that they rebuild that OL with players that are good to great @ pass protection ; but that would mean a change in offensive philosophy by Carroll . Do I think that happens ? Nope

massari

Reaction score
Get Britt to take a pay cut

Draft a T, C and G if good talent is there

LT Brown / draft pick
LG cheap FA vet (Iupati?) / Haynes / draft pick
C Britt / Pocic / draft pick
RG Fluker / Jones / Simmons
RT Fant

Hunt and Roos can get one last shot in the pre-season.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I found this write up.......Logan Stenberg (G, Kentucky)
He’s a pancake machine who dominates opponents with extreme physicality. I’ve not seen a guard manhandle blockers like Stenberg in a long time. He connects, locks-on and drives defender’s off the ball. He’s a punishing finisher and will hammer opponents to the turf, judo-toss them to the ground or plough them off the LOS.

He’s a pure finisher who sets the tone and batters defenders. If you like physical, aggressive run-blocking then this is the guy for you. He’s also adept at the turns and twists and good hand-placement needed to achieve easy wins where he doesn’t have to flat-out dominate with power. He allowed only one pressure in 2019.

I’ve seen some people mention a lack of mobility and athletic limitations but there was nothing glaring. Holding penalties were apparently an issue at Kentucky. That said, the Seahawks love physical run blockers with great size. Stenberg looks like one of the toughest players to enter the league in a while. For me he’s a second or third round value pick who could rise.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I am not as concerned about the center position as some if we let Britt go. I don't believe Joey is the answer, but I also believe he is functional enough if need be. His downside is physicality, not brains. He coordinates well and there were rarely any free rushers missed while he was in. He just gets over-powered a lot. Having a massive man like Ifedi next to him just naturally takes some of that downside away.

Is Swoopes to old at this point to go to the practice squad?

blazen2392

Reaction score
I want to see them build this line in the FA. Im so fed up with mediocrity on the O-line. Protect Russ and keep him upright. Sign some big names with all that cap space.

reddmmann

Reaction score
O-line is one of the hardest positions to play and even the players with the highest draft grades take a couple of years to get up to speed.

Quick fixes include: Brandon Scherff (Guard : washington), Anthony Castanzo( OT: Colts)

Ozzy

Reaction score
They need to replace guys via the draft and be aggressive about it. I'm tired of the excuse that there aren't as many good lineman anymore because of the college game. You're almost dead last. Every team is facing the same problem and yet they're all doing a better job of figuring it out. I'm also tired of the run blocking vs passing excuse. The top lines do both well. Look at GB, Dallas, Balt etc. They rank high in both. It's not the best draft for d line so attack the offensive line this draft. Bring in an outside source if you're process is broke. Do something. It's embarrassing.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
One of the Seahawks Facebook groups has a story up that Pete has said he plans no changes to our OL group! This cannot possibly be true can it?

xray

Reaction score
brimsalabim":15fqxld5 said:
One of the Seahawks Facebook groups has a story up that Pete has said he plans no changes to our OL group! This cannot possibly be true can it?
I saw that too...Carroll wants to keep the same group...unbelievable :!: :roll:

sutz

Reaction score
brimsalabim":36e8sdc2 said:
That's not a direct quote. Pete did say he would try to maintain some continuity and keep most of the O-line intact, while admitting that we'll probably lose a FA or two. Pete also talked about young guys like D Jones coming along and looking good so far, as well as injured guys like Pocic and Britt who will be coming back. Pete also said he and John are looking into the FA market and will probably add players in the draft.

This whole "Pete is an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing" meme is tiresome.

Seafan

Reaction score
Center will likely be the first OL position drafted by Hawks but I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a veteran to compete. If Pocic can get healthy they likely bring him back to camp. Britt and Hunt are likely gone.

Haynes, Simmons, and Knox are intriguing young talents who should be back to compete at interior.

Brown you bring back. Jamarco Jones is quality depth at four positions and a potential starter.

You ignore Ifedi and attempt to sign Fant before the draft.

You bring back Fluker and let him compete and if he beats out some young guy it won't matter because the young guys will get their starts anyway.

Draft the best tackle available but they likely go center first. This team should draft at least 3 OL.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Whew thanks for clearing that up. Free agency too? I know one of the Patriots guards is hitting free agency. Joe Thuney. I believe he was 2nd team all NFL?

Latest posts