Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 Seahawks Depth Chart and roster moves

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Not sure I fully understand the timing of these changes. I thought the PS will expend to 12 this season and next, then to 14 in 2022 and the roster limit to 55 next season when the 17 game schedule kicks in, but the team can activate 2 extra OLinemen, (it could be any position) from the 7 man gameday inactive players this season. Of course I could be wrong on this.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls ... y-changes/

Rosters
    Teams can designate an additional player to return from injured reserve each year (three instead of two)
    Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, and a team doesn't have to replace the player on the practice squad
    Active game-day rosters increased from 46 to 48 players
    Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team)
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:Not sure I fully understand the timing of these changes. I thought the PS will expend to 12 this season and next, then to 14 in 2022 and the roster limit to 55 next season when the 17 game schedule kicks in, but the team can activate 2 extra OLinemen, (it could be any position) from the 7 man gameday inactive players this season. Of course I could be wrong on this.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls ... y-changes/

Rosters
    Teams can designate an additional player to return from injured reserve each year (three instead of two)
    Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, and a team doesn't have to replace the player on the practice squad
    Active game-day rosters increased from 46 to 48 players
    Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team)

I think we're both a bit wrong. I think this article clears up the discrepancies:

arrowheadpride.com/2020/5/5/21246410/understanding-the-nfls-new-roster-rules-beginning-in-2020
    flv
    NET Practice Squad

• Thanks for that link, it clarifies a confusing situation, much appreciated! It’s good to read it a few times as there are lots of nuances that undoubtedly JS will use creatively. The PS rules are becoming more complicated.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Kitsap for some reason that tweet did not transfer.

RB- Carlos Hyde signed by the Seahawks to a 1 year deal. Terms presently unknown (possibly up to $4 million).

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/ ... arlos-hyde

This guy is big bruising back with some ability and a recent injury history. Clearly he's a hedge against RB injuries from Carson and Penny who will return late in the season.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• BradyHenderson
    Geno Smith's contract with the Seahawks is for one year and $1,187,500, according to a source. He got a $137,500 *signing* bonus (the only guaranteed money) and a base salary of $1.05 million (the veteran minimum). His cap number is $887,500 with the minimum-salary benefit.
    12:50 PM · May 22, 2020·TweetDeck

BradyHenderson
    *Not a "singing" bonus as I initially typed by mistake. Thanks to
    @HolliWinters
    for catching that. Singing bonuses could be a game-changer for how contracts are structured, but this is just a signing bonus.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• So the contract is a new vet min. deal. That’s good!
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Anyone heard who the corresponding player to be released will be/is?
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Not official yet so no corresponding move on Hyde.

TE Justin Johnson was waived to make room for Geno.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

• Thanks John! I knew that, and have recorded that Justin Johnson was a waived injured release for Geno's signing.

Still looking for info about who the corresponding player will be for the HYDE signing which of course is not yet official.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:LOL, you cynic.

Headline: "Seahawks soon to have all TE offense, Russell Wilson to be traded."

Dude, RW is gonna convert to TE as well. Man some of these articles are so fake news. :twisted: :twisted: :rumble: :stirthepot:
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• If Russell converts to TE the team would still need 2 more guys. Just so it's clear, the supposed headline above was my creation and meant to be sarcastic.

Given the team's problems keeping the TEs healthy I suppose it's understandable why they have 8 guys on the roster.

I suspect they want to run more 2 TE sets but can't b/c they can't keep enough guys healthy.

The increase size of the PS will allow them to keep a couple of these guys there and perhaps a weakness will become a strength.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Bob Condotta of the Times reports that the deal for Carlos Hyde has a lower cap hit that initially believed:

base salary of $1.5 million with bonuses of $1.25 million (including $31,250 for every game for which he is on the active roster in 2020) that give it a salary-cap hit of $2.75 million.

Other incentives of $1.25 million mean he could make up to $4 million, which was the number initially leaked last week when the agreement was confirmed.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ssion=true

This is a good solid addition with Penny likely to be on PUP until quite late in the season.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• You're up and at em early Jammer. Top of the morning to you pard! :lol:
    Like to see we're saving what we can where we can. We need some money to spend. But I don't begrudge Hyde anything, He helps plug a nasty hole for us. He may even be a life saver if Carson isn't mended as well as we hope he is.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Thanks!

My old doggo sometimes gets me up in the wee hours as he needs to go outside. Like us all as he gets older he sometimes needs to pee in the middle of the night. He’s a good old boy. Then of course it’s tough to go back sleep right away.

I’m quite pleased with this player’s addition, he’s a tough runner and is good catching the ball out of the backfield. He will add to the toughness of the RB crew. Adding back Penny to the mix late in the season will give the running game a late boost. Pete can pound the rock with these guys.

The team still needs to sign up the draft picks, but even then with some contract rejiggering, Clowney could still get done. If he wants to be here. I’m not convinced JS is done yet, but there are now some interesting short and long term options that have been added to to the team.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• I'm the oldest dog around my place! My 2 GSs are 6 now and they usually want out around 2 or 3 but they let me sleep in til 6 this morning. As I usually start y morning chores as 6:30 there wasn't much point in going back to bed. On my second mug of coffee and figuring on a busy day. :)
    I'm seeing the picture about as you do. Sure hope your Clowney idea works out. He is an elite level talent whose presence on the field will increase the productivity of Irvin and Mayowa, plus be as good an example as could be had for our draftees. We just have to make that happen. That 3-4 sack stat is extremely misleading as to his real value.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I completely agree on the sack totals being misleading. Pressure percentages are what truly counts and there Clowney is a high level performer. The knock on him fairly has been a consistent inability to stay healthy, but his style of play lends itself to injuries.

My old boy is a border collie, and they are like having an obsessive compulsive bright 3 yr old who can’t talk, yet communicates non verbally. At 13 he’s starting to slow down significantly but he still wants to round up other dogs, neighbours cats, and give the squirrels and bunnies the rundoff, all with a big Ol’ grin, non-stop play and knows the names of all his toys. He’s very gentle with children but they’ll get herded too. Great dogs!
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Thanks Kitsap!

The first of many to follow shortly. These signings have already been roughly calculated into the OTC.com cap calculations, without the bonus $.

Several of these rookie contracts will fall below the top 51 so they won't all take much of the cap. I'm doubtful that any of the players after Parkinson will actually count against the cap except maybe RB- Dallas for his bonus $ which will be prorated over 4 years.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Bob Condotta is reporting the team has signed recently drafted WR- Freddie Swain.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Rookie TE- Colby Parkinson working out suffered a foot fracture (Jones fracture) and has had surgery (on June 2nd). He’s likely to start the season on PUP. He is another rookie who will miss training camp, this may slow his development.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• A number of sources are indicating that most of the teams are waiting for facilities to open before signing their draft picks.

Our team has signed two players of the 8 drafted. They are: WR -Swain, and TE- Parkinson.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• The recent COVID ACCOMMODATION rules changes regarding the roster and practice squad sizes will result in some significant upcoming roster manipulations and forthcoming changes.

Roster sizes for the preseason where there now will be no games played will reduce to 80 from 90. The rules about practice squad sizes and how they will be dealt with remain uncertain but will likely be significantly modified.

Finally the team still has six draft picks to sign.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:I completely agree on the sack totals being misleading. Pressure percentages are what truly counts and there Clowney is a high level performer. The knock on him fairly has been a consistent inability to stay healthy, but his style of play lends itself to injuries.

My old boy is a border collie, and they are like having an obsessive compulsive bright 3 yr old who can’t talk, yet communicates non verbally. At 13 he’s starting to slow down significantly but he still wants to round up other dogs, neighbours cats, and give the squirrels and bunnies the rundoff, all with a big Ol’ grin, non-stop play and knows the names of all his toys. He’s very gentle with children but they’ll get herded too. Great dogs!

When you’re in base defense all the time dropping into coverage due to personnel, you’re not going to get a ton of sacks. Hopefully Norton will blitz more this year but the D line isn’t as bad as PFF makes it out to be. Sacks aren’t everything but hopefully we’ll blitz more this year.
    Johnny Dimes
    NET Bench Warmer

• What’s the deal with Mychal Kendricks? I know his sentencing was pushed back again and he’s a UFA but he was just recently medically cleared to play. I like how he covers
    Johnny Dimes
    NET Bench Warmer

• He may be medically cleared but likely hasn't been assessed by the team and he may want more than the team is prepared to offer.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:He may be medically cleared but likely hasn't been assessed by the team and he may want more than the team is prepared to offer.

I actually like Reed and Ford but I wish we would’ve at least kept Woods. The D line did ok against the run but a lot of that is Bobby and KJ behind them. I think we’ll definitely have a better rush this year with Mayowa and BI but we still need to add a piece before week 1. Griffen would be ideal
    Johnny Dimes
    NET Bench Warmer

• I don’t think the team is done tweaking the roster by a long way.

If you look at the DC, there is a clear need at DT. Another capable big guy that still remains unsigned and who will realize they’d better take what they can in a good situation for them will come late. Possibly another edge rusher or outside/in type are also potential further additions.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Last I heard months ago was that they were going to wait until cutdown day and get another DT. That was before preseason got cancelled and rookies had their chance to shine and maybe bump a good DT off the roster. Who knows how much the loss of the preseason games will affect this outcome. I highly doubt they'll make a splash for someone like Griffen. Just a solid proven road grader who still has a few years left and a chip on their shoulder.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• This is a major trade. Holy Moly!!! Traded for two first's (2021 & 2022) and a 3rd (2021). Sure makes it essential that he is re-signed. I think it's a good trade, not many All Pro safeties around that are just 24. Must admit I winced when I saw what the team traded to get him. Yikes!

Adams has likely agreed to play out his rookie contract, or the rough parameters of deal has already been discussed.

The Hawks are in very good shape capwise for next season too.

There are soon to be a flurry of roster moves with the caps to 80, then the remaining deals that are likely forthcoming.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Time for Jamma to get back to work! lol.
    I'm hoping we're working the Zoom lines with Clowney.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• OTC has us at $17M+ in cap space now. How much of that is actually available for free agency? In other words, how much of it do we need to keep on hand for in-season roster moves?

Obviously there are a number of moves (cuts, extensions, re-structures) that could be done to add more space. Sure seems like there's at least one more big move in the cards.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• $17,210,353 exactly as per OTC.com

The roster page is updated with one player remaining to be cut.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• I am totally convinced there is another big roster move or two forthcoming.

I don't even count re-signing Gordon as a big roster move but it'd help RW. Several sources are saying the team is out on Clowney but somehow I doubt that is true. There are several interior DLinemen that are also likely on the radar
    as well.

If all the pieces are allowed to report and play this season (Dunbar most notably) we will see a much improved pass D.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Just noticed that myself.

Nuts!

With him on the Commish exempt list he's now not part of the team roster for the 80 number. Must admit I am genuinely disappointed by this situation. Could some cap savvy person advise what happens with his contract, is it still part of the team's cap, will it potentially toll?
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• KitsapGuy wrote:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Question answered on the cap relief. However, if Dunbar doesn't report to camp, as he is not permitted to do so, will/could his contract toll?
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Thanks Guys!

Updated now.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Some significant holes now appearing in the FO office prep work for this season. Ugh.

But with the business model posted by the Marlins this week it's looking really questionable about a season happening this year.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I don’t know about the holes Appy, the Dunbar issue certainly sucks, without a doubt; but I really don’t believe them being close to finished with the DLine. The foreseeability of the Dunbar situation could hardly be said to be reasonable as could be also said about Warmack. Dunbar’s commish list designation is under appeal and that appeal could succeed. Now am understanding the Adams move more clearly. Would like to see another WR like Gordon or ??, beyond that it’s DLine, DLine, DLine.

We all want a legit pass rusher and that could still happen before football starts. Still think capwise Seattle is a truly realistic location for Clowney to sign a long term deal. He is going to come to a realization that not many teams will much cap space to sign a good sized deal next year. He’s going to have to dial back his contract expectations. They will most certainly sign an interior DLineman before the bullets fly.

Don’t seriously think the loss of Warmack is that significant as Simmons was not bad in relief last season and the rookie Lewis is goin to be given a shot at starting at RG, and there could be depth at LG, with Iupati, and a now healthy Haynes and Pocic.

Remember Haynes? He was a well regarded interior OLineman drafted last season then lost to sports hernia surgery for most of the year.

draft profile: https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/phil-haynes
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information