Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kicker

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Kicker
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:42 am
  • I haven’t really seen anything on this board regarding the kicking game in quite awhile. In some regards, I guess that’s good. As bad as the kicking game was in 2017 and 2018, 2019 at least brought some stability. Jason Myers seemed to stumble out of the gate and brought the ire of many fans early in the season.

    He connected on 82.1% of his kicks which is a bit under his career percentage of 83.9% but that is skewed somewhat by his 91.7% in 2018 with the Jets. In 2019 he missed 5 of his first 12 attempts through week 8. Weeks 9-16 he was 11 of 11 for 100%. In the two playoff games he went 2/4. So, in the first 8 games of the season he hit on 58% of his kicks, 100% in the last 8 games and 50% in the playoffs.

    Myers is signed through 2022 with a cap hit in ‘20 of $3.6 million. He has a dead cap hit of $2 million in ‘21 if he’s cut. His ‘21 and ‘22 numbers are $4.3 and $5 million respectively.

    Did he show enough in ‘19 to be brought back with little to no competition based on his contract numbers? Or did he show enough inconsistencies that we will see another consecutive year post Haushka where they look for another viable replacement?

    I started to relax a bit in the last half of the year on field goal kicks, anticipating less and less that he would miss makeable kicks. It didn’t surprise me in the playoffs when he missed.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2427
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Kicker
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:53 pm
  • He's fine. Not an area where we need to go into "gotta find a replacement" mode IMHO.

    In short, too many holes to spend draft capital on. If they bring in a UDFA or something, no problem, 90 slots to fill in pre-season, but I think our kicking game is solid for now.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 20175
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Kicker
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:28 pm
  • He was 6 for 11 from 40 plus (including 2 of 4 from 50 plus) perfect from inside.

    Not great, but not a real issue
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 19452
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:35 am
  • How many extra point attempts did he miss?
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1310
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:43 am
  • Does anyone have any insight to coaching kickers and punters?

    It seems like kickers that come to Seattle seem to do a little worse than they did previously. Maybe that's just the natural volatility of the numbers. I don't know. But it occurs to me that Dickson was great as a rookie and he wasn't quite as great last year. I'm not complaining and I don't mean for the conversation to be about specific individuals. I'm just wondering if the nature of kicking might not lend itself to "always compete." I know there are coaches in the league that really believe in the benefit of picking a QB so that starter doesn't have to worry about losing their place and can concentrate on the playbook. Of course, if they stink, they get booted but is there some benefit in avoiding the competition scenario? Could it be the same with kickers/punters?
    chrispy
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 335
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:50 am


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:24 am
  • The problem I have with Myers is that whilst you could argue he is serviceable as a kicker we are, I'm led to believe, paying him as one of the better kickers in the league. I'm not convinced on the ROI. He needs to be better from further out to warrant the big bucks imho.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3200
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 pm


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:29 am
  • Meyers isn't going anywhere, he's got a 3M cap hit for 2020, and Pete doesn't want to continue the revolving door of kicker that's been going on here since Hauschka left.

    Now maybe they'll draft a kicker late, or bring in a couple to push Meyers in camp. But this is a non discussion IMO, doesn't matter that Meyers underperformed this season.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17483
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:32 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:How many extra point attempts did he miss?

    4 out of 44 attempts. Not sure how that compares league wide, but it's a 90.9% rate which is the peak number for his career.

    http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonmyers/25 ... areerstats
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 20175
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:14 am
  • Cap penalty will be too much. Were stuck with him for at least one more year.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 10003
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:00 am
  • The very LEAST of this teams concerns.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36653
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm
    Location: The Tex-ASS


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 am
  • Is 4 ex pt misses an official stat? Seems low to me. I was thinking he missed 3 in one game but maybe it wa just 2 and I lumped in the missed FG.
    Anyway I think Largent is right, at least for this year. We simply have too many other pressing needs when our guy is at least serviceable.
    I will add that having exceptional kickers is underrated. Their impact on the game is why it is called football. Punters go far to establish field position while a good PK can put points on the board when an offense is struggling. It pays to get the best for those positions.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1310
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 pm
  • Kickers sucked leaguewide. A ton of missed x-tra points. It's now a 30 yard FG. Many think it's automatic but it obviously is not. Myers hit some clutch kicks for us. Haushka missed a bunch of clutch kicks for Buff...just sayin.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36653
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm
    Location: The Tex-ASS


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:47 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:Is 4 ex pt misses an official stat? Seems low to me. I was thinking he missed 3 in one game but maybe it wa just 2 and I lumped in the missed FG.
    Anyway I think Largent is right, at least for this year. We simply have too many other pressing needs when our guy is at least serviceable.
    I will add that having exceptional kickers is underrated. Their impact on the game is why it is called football. Punters go far to establish field position while a good PK can put points on the board when an offense is struggling. It pays to get the best for those positions.

    I posted the link. It's from the nfl page. :229031_shrug:

    http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonmyers/25 ... areerstats

    Again, I don't know how that compares to the league wide average, but I imagine its not that far from norm. The reason they moved it back was to take it out of the 99.99% range to something a little more 'exciting.'
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 20175
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:30 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Meyers isn't going anywhere, he's got a 3M cap hit for 2020, and Pete doesn't want to continue the revolving door of kicker that's been going on here since Hauschka left.

    Now maybe they'll draft a kicker late, or bring in a couple to push Meyers in camp. But this is a non discussion IMO, doesn't matter that Meyers underperformed this season.


    Pretty much this. He isn't going anywhere because of his contract. But I think a good draft strategy is to draft a punter or kicker every 3 years or so to keep talent coming. So that would be basically a kicker every 6 years and a punter every 6 years on a rotating basis.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 107408
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:38 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Meyers isn't going anywhere, he's got a 3M cap hit for 2020, and Pete doesn't want to continue the revolving door of kicker that's been going on here since Hauschka left.

    Now maybe they'll draft a kicker late, or bring in a couple to push Meyers in camp. But this is a non discussion IMO, doesn't matter that Meyers underperformed this season.


    Pretty much this. He isn't going anywhere because of his contract. But I think a good draft strategy is to draft a punter or kicker every 3 years or so to keep talent coming. So that would be basically a kicker every 6 years and a punter every 6 years on a rotating basis.

    Plus, you can always drag a UDFA into camp. Hell, you could do that every year if you want. I have absolutely no problem with that. The Janikowski signing was a head scratcher to me, but that's water under the bridge. It seems like there are always out of work kickers out there dying to get a shot.

    :229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 20175
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:58 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:Is 4 ex pt misses an official stat? Seems low to me. I was thinking he missed 3 in one game but maybe it wa just 2 and I lumped in the missed FG.
    Anyway I think Largent is right, at least for this year. We simply have too many other pressing needs when our guy is at least serviceable.
    I will add that having exceptional kickers is underrated. Their impact on the game is why it is called football. Punters go far to establish field position while a good PK can put points on the board when an offense is struggling. It pays to get the best for those positions.

    I posted the link. It's from the nfl page. :229031_shrug:

    http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonmyers/25 ... areerstats

    Again, I don't know how that compares to the league wide average, but I imagine its not that far from norm. The reason they moved it back was to take it out of the 99.99% range to something a little more 'exciting.'


    This last year was like one of the worst year in decades for Kickers, having said that, I think the most exciting aspect of the game is the betting lounge on which play an official will turn over or not, they get more screen time then the players now days. 8)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32768
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Kicker
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:44 pm
  • A stellar kicking game is important in close, tight games. They don't matter in blowouts. Guess what type of games the Seahawks play? That's why an accurate kicker is more important here. Myers was overvalued by the Seahawks. Even though he had a MVP season in 2018 as a Jet, the season he had in 2019 is more of his norm. He is average at best and paying $3+M per year for an average kicker is absurd.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 7788
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Kicker
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 am
  • Kickers used to be a lot better..I can't believe how with supposed better conditioning
    and training that they are this bad.
    It must be that they are weak mentally and cannot handle pressure of kicking in the
    clutch ect.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5507
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Kicker
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:16 am
  • chrispy wrote:It seems like kickers that come to Seattle seem to do a little worse than they did previously. Maybe that's just the natural volatility of the numbers.

    We play outdoors in the cold, wind and rain. There are few stadiums more difficult to kick in (New Era Field, Soldier Field) and nobody gets as much as rain as we do.

    And yes, there is also problem with the sample size. Myers only attempted seven field goals between 40-49 yards and just four field goals at 50+ yards. His accuracy on the season could have varied from 75% to 89% with just one or two different outcomes.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4215
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Kicker
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:21 am
  • Myers was not the reason we lost any games.
    He could have been the reason we lost at San Fran, with that missed kick, but wait! We didn't lose at San Fran, we won! The team bailed him out that time.

    Ya sure, bring in some UDFA or veteran free agent to compete with him.
    Anyone that beats him out will have to be a damn good kicker.

    We also don't usually hear about injuries to our kickers. During his rough streak, Myers' stroke wasn't right. I believe he was either injured or sick in a way that affected his balance. Then he got well and went on a hot streak.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3379
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


Re: Kicker
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:28 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:Myers was not the reason we lost any games.
    He could have been the reason we lost at San Fran, with that missed kick, but wait! We didn't lose at San Fran, we won! The team bailed him out that time.

    Ya sure, bring in some UDFA or veteran free agent to compete with him.
    Anyone that beats him out will have to be a damn good kicker.

    We also don't usually hear about injuries to our kickers. During his rough streak, Myers' stroke wasn't right. I believe he was either injured or sick in a way that affected his balance. Then he got well and went on a hot streak.

    Well, the whole team was sick for a couple of weeks there. Did that coincide?
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 20175
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Kicker
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:31 pm
  • Don't give me outdoor stadium crap, across the league there were a lot more misses of extra points and field goals, most of us that have watched forever seen the league when all the stadiums were outdoor and they didn't look this bad.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32768
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.




It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online