Redshirt Revelation Predictions? 2nd/3rd Yr Players emerge?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Who will be this year's Redshirt Revelation for the Seahawks?

Redshirt Revelation: A player who, as a rookie, or even 2nd year, barely saw the field, aside from perhaps special teams, but in his 2nd or 3rd season "lit it up", the light bulb went on, and they became a consistent force on the field.
We know Pete and John draft players who may or may not have an immediate impact, and give them "Redshirt" years. Maybe they need to develop NFL-level body, NFL-level work habits, and/or NFL-level football IQ.

Last year, Rashaad Penny was a "Redshirt Revelation" during the 2nd half of the year, before his ACL injury. I saw it coming all the way (OK, BS, I was "rooting" and "hoping" and "guessing" for that to occur).

Prior years, guys who might fit this category:
* Golden Tate, in his 3rd year
* Frank Clark, though he had impact as a rookie, he got better each season
* Justin Britt, going from sucking as a Guard, to being surprisingly good at Center
* Jarran Reed, who then regressed last year
* Several DBs over the years

This year, I'm having a hard time finding anyone I feel like betting on. They all either performed well as rookies (DK Metcalf) or reached JAG level, without inspiring flashes.

Some Candidates:
DE LJ Collier - showed so little
LB Cody Barton - achieved JAG level, but didn't show spark indicating another level after that
OG/C Ethan Pocic - Maybe he could surprise at Center? The Justin Britt plan?
TE Will Dissly - Almost disqualified by brief period of rookie excellence, but then injured since, so qualifies.
DB Ugo Amadi - Showed flashes, but had Huh? moments too
S Marquise Blair - Showed flashes, but Carroll seems to have limited confidence in him
OG Jordan Simmons - Actually this isn't a bad bet. Can he stay healthy?
WR John Ursua - His small body isn't built for run game blocking, didn't see the field much

I should clarify, by Redshirt I primarily mean players Seattle drafted.

Who did I miss?
Who is your pick for "Redshirt Revelation"?
If I don't find inspiration otherwise, I will probably to with OG Jordan Simmons. Decent bet if he is healthy and can stay that way.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Awesome thread idea.

I'll go with Blair. He has some raw athleticism that the defense is really missing. If he can figure it out between the ears and get the system down, he could make huge strides this season.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would go with Collier, he is going to be in a position of need and in the grow up fast stage based on needs.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Collier would obviously be a dream outcome given the need at the position. I'm hoping for big things from Blair and Haynes. I think Blair has trouble getting on the field given the players in front of him so I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen. I'm hoping Haynes beats out Iupati.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't know if Ursua will break out but there is room for optimism. Like the other young players he didn't see the field much in his "redshirt" year but he made good use of the NFL caliber training staff and weight room.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/1257168540072767489[/tweet]

Largent80

Reaction score
Going to go with Amadi. Not much competition for that slot CB, and he finally got to play some towards the end of the year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
olyfan63":15mzdtxw said:
Who will be this year's Redshirt Revelation for the Seahawks?

Redshirt Revelation: A player who, as a rookie, or even 2nd year, barely saw the field, aside from perhaps special teams, but in his 2nd or 3rd season "lit it up", the light bulb went on, and they became a consistent force on the field.
We know Pete and John draft players who may or may not have an immediate impact, and give them "Redshirt" years. Maybe they need to develop NFL-level body, NFL-level work habits, and/or NFL-level football IQ.

Last year, Rashaad Penny was a "Redshirt Revelation" during the 2nd half of the year, before his ACL injury. I saw it coming all the way (OK, BS, I was "rooting" and "hoping" and "guessing" for that to occur).

Prior years, guys who might fit this category:
* Golden Tate, in his 3rd year
* Frank Clark, though he had impact as a rookie, he got better each season
* Justin Britt, going from sucking as a Guard, to being surprisingly good at Center
* Jarran Reed, who then regressed last year
* Several DBs over the years

This year, I'm having a hard time finding anyone I feel like betting on. They all either performed well as rookies (DK Metcalf) or reached JAG level, without inspiring flashes.

Some Candidates:
DE LJ Collier - showed so little
LB Cody Barton - achieved JAG level, but didn't show spark indicating another level after that
OG/C Ethan Pocic - Maybe he could surprise at Center? The Justin Britt plan?
TE Will Dissly - Almost disqualified by brief period of rookie excellence, but then injured since, so qualifies.
DB Ugo Amadi - Showed flashes, but had Huh? moments too
S Marquise Blair - Showed flashes, but Carroll seems to have limited confidence in him
OG Jordan Simmons - Actually this isn't a bad bet. Can he stay healthy?
WR John Ursua - His small body isn't built for run game blocking, didn't see the field much

I should clarify, by Redshirt I primarily mean players Seattle drafted.

Who did I miss?
Who is your pick for "Redshirt Revelation"?
If I don't find inspiration otherwise, I will probably to with OG Jordan Simmons. Decent bet if he is healthy and can stay that way.

Pocic is not in his 2nd or 3rd year. He was drafted in 2017 so this is his 4th year.
Blair or Amadi. Any secondary help and improvement is needed.

sutz

Reaction score
I want to say Collier, but with how the pre-season is getting screwed will he get the work he needs?

Next would be Barton, but will we be in base formation as much this year where he'll get reps with Wags and KJ?

Guess Amadi has the best chance.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":3aukdst6 said:
I don't know if Ursua will break out but there is room for optimism. Like the other young players he didn't see the field much in his "redshirt" year but he made good use of the NFL caliber training staff and weight room.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/1257168540072767489[/tweet]

This could be D.K. Metcalf influence, directly or indirectly. Peer pressure can be very strong in the locker room.

toffee

Reaction score
If Collier could have a breakout season, we are in good shape, if both Collier and Green could have breakout season, we are in great shape.

Similarly on the OL, if Simmons and Haynes could establish themselves ...

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

kf3339

Reaction score
Amadi is the only one with a realistic shot. All the others are major question marks.

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm normally optimistic about this sort of thing, but last year's rookies (aside from Metcalf) were really uninspiring. I have no confidence in any of them breaking out. Blair may have the best breakout potential, but he could have a hard time seeing the field if Diggs and McDougald stay healthy. Collier breaking out would be amazing, but (I don't remember where I saw this, probably Field Gulls) nobody that performed like him as a rookie ever broke out. I'd be absolutely shocked if he turns out to not be a bust.

ivotuk

Reaction score
chris98251":1s1z216n said:
I would go with Collier, he is going to be in a position of need and in the grow up fast stage based on needs.

To echo the first poster, excellent thread idea! Some pundit will STEAL this for sure! Or maybe the Athletic will hire you...if ESPN calls, tell them you died! ;)

I'm with Chris on this one. I think LJ Collier is a physical beast who's season was lost as soon as he got injured and missed training camp and early play. That's like getting thrown to the sharks after they've been chummed.

This offseason he's going to be pissed and will show why he was a 1st round pick.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkGA":tgxu6plj said:
Collier would obviously be a dream outcome given the need at the position. I'm hoping for big things from Blair and Haynes. I think Blair has trouble getting on the field given the players in front of him so I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen. I'm hoping Haynes beats out Iupati.
Thanks for the mention of Phil Haynes. He slipped my mind.
I think our OL has a decent shot at being surprisingly good, and DEEP, especially at G. We could have a nice rookie surprise and even a couple Redshirt Revelations there.

hawkfan68":tgxu6plj said:
Pocic is not in his 2nd or 3rd year. He was drafted in 2017 so this is his 4th year.
Thanks for the correction on Pocic! Right now, anything we get out of him would be a plus.

chris98251":tgxu6plj said:
Sure hope you're right. Just didn't see enough to place much of a bet. But, as they say, what a difference a year can make.

AgentDib":tgxu6plj said:
<snip tweet of Ursua looking ripped like DK Metcalf>
Nice find on that tweet! Ursua did catch the one super-important ball he needed to this year, even if the final outcome of the series wasn't what we wanted. Assuming bulked-up Ursua keeps his quicks, for sure he has the smarts and hands. With that improved physique he could be effective enough in blocking DBs. Maybe he spent his offseason watching Steve Smith videos, and will do a Steve Smith impersonation on the field this year. Also, if the Hawks do run some up-tempo passing attack in spots, Ursua would for sure be valuable in those.

HawkGA

Reaction score
olyfan63":1bw3lbpa said:
HawkGA":1bw3lbpa said:
I think our OL has a decent shot at being surprisingly good, and DEEP, especially at G. We could have a nice rookie surprise and even a couple Redshirt Revelations there.

I'm very bullish on the interior the OL but quite concerned about the tackle positions. There seems to be little to no depth there and age. Not a good combination.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
olyfan63":2aptfqw6 said:
HawkGA":2aptfqw6 said:

hawkfan68":2aptfqw6 said:
Thanks for the correction on Pocic! Right now, anything we get out of him would be a plus.

chris98251":2aptfqw6 said:
Sure hope you're right. Just didn't see enough to place much of a bet. But, as they say, what a difference a year can make.

AgentDib":2aptfqw6 said:
<snip tweet of Ursua looking ripped like DK Metcalf>
Nice find on that tweet! Ursua did catch the one super-important ball he needed to this year, even if the final outcome of the series wasn't what we wanted. Assuming bulked-up Ursua keeps his quicks, for sure he has the smarts and hands. With that improved physique he could be effective enough in blocking DBs. Maybe he spent his offseason watching Steve Smith videos, and will do a Steve Smith impersonation on the field this year. Also, if the Hawks do run some up-tempo passing attack in spots, Ursua would for sure be valuable in those.

You're welcome. I didn't realize Pocic was in his 4th year until I looked him up. I guess because the last two years he's been injured most of the time. He is the Prosise of the OL. He needs to show something this training camp or he's going to be camp causualty. They have beefed up the competition at the OL. He has Finney and Hunt to battle at Center, then Lewis, Haynes, Jones, Warmack, Ogbeuhi, Simmons, etc at guard. It looks like a long shot for his chances at the moment.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'm going to say Blair White. Liked some of the things I saw from him, I could see him taking over McDougald's spot.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Whoops! People always called him the Blair Witch project so I accidentally let that sleep in. Marquise Blair.