Covid-19 Helmets

nategreat

Reaction score
I'm on my phone and so am having a difficult time linking the pictures, but I've started to hear rumblings about special covid-19 helmets that may be used this season for precautionary use.

Any creative artists want to entertain us with some "prototype" covid-19 Seahawk helmet mock-ups? You know, with an excessive face-shield and the like? This could be fun :mrgreen:

sutz

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":16xh9b2b said:
Don't know how good it would be for the QB or other players calling plays.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Stadium/status/1273337366359404544[/tweet]

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-covid-19 ... 00842.html
That's actually kind of badass. You're right, though, QB's probably wouldn't like it for the restricted visibility, but I like the absence of a facemask. I've often wondered why they haven't gone to a more one-piece assembly like these.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":19fsl33k said:
Fauci saying NFL wont happen.
I have been saying this since the onset. No contact sports of any kind in 2020. That’s why I have it set in my mind that I will not see any football at all.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I dig it...

Attachments

• covidhelmet.jpg
    covidhelmet.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,385

bigskydoc

Reaction score
No contact sports? UFC is already up and running. NHL small groups are on the ice. Jiu Jitsu gyms are already fully re-opened, and our tournaments are being scheduled. Fauci can say what he wants, but he has no authority to stop the NFL from having a season, and the US appetite for shutting down is pretty sated.

Now, there may be no fans in attendance, but, barring an overwhelming resurgence of da Rona, there will be an NFL season.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I think that Dr Fauci is getting less and less scientific and more and more in love with what he perceives as power and celebrity. IMHO.

Also, riding a motorcycle is way more dangerous than The Rona, and I don't wear that much of a helmet when I'm riding.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Fauci has long been about consolidating, and retaining power. He has spent 35 years as the director of the NIAID, and he has been smart enough to refuse appointment to the NIH directorship. As NIH director, he would have more power, but is too likely to be replaced by incoming administrations.

I think he is bemused by the celebrity status, but I'm not sure he is actively seeking it out. He has always been one to kind of keep his head down and out of the crossfire.

He's a smart scientist, but not a public policy wonk. His recommendations tend to be scientifically correct, but ignore the practical limitations on implementing the policies he suggests.

chrispy

Reaction score
The difference is that riding a motorcycle doesn't kill the person behind you in the checkout line.

balakoth

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2tj87yef said:
Fauci saying NFL wont happen.

Guess it's too bad Fauci really has no damn control over that.. nor do I care about his numb nut opinion.

balakoth

Reaction score
chrispy":16alzva5 said:
The difference is that riding a motorcycle doesn't kill the person behind you in the checkout line.

Nor does friggen Covid....

scutterhawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2i3z1hja said:
I think that Dr Fauci is getting less and less scientific and more and more in love with what he perceives as power and celebrity. IMHO.

Also, riding a motorcycle is way more dangerous than The Rona, and I don't wear that much of a helmet when I'm riding.
Really?...So there's been more than 117,000 U.S. bikers killed in less than 6 months?
I'm in no way shape or form, a Fauci fan, but I like that he's using his expertise in the field to INFORM, rather than blow smoke up everyone's @$$es, like our NON-EXPERT POTUS.
I've been telling my wife for over a month now, that I think it's possible that they could come up with a mask, similar to the ones that are worn by aircraft pilots.
Bottom line for me though?, I'd rather pass on watching Football this year, if it meant that the risks were too high.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Whelp SeahawkGal. The Niners just disclosed they had a positive wideout. The number of players affected? No less than 15. Their whole QB, TE and wideout room.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/6/19/ ... -nashville

So let's say they're playing the Hawks. Now there's potentially 30 players who have to undergo any league or NFLPA mandated quarantine.

I do not know how the NFL/NFLPA will handle this with 108 guys at any one game but until they come up with guidelines that the public has access to, I'm with you.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":21z42rbh said:
No contact sports? UFC is already up and running. NHL small groups are on the ice. Jiu Jitsu gyms are already fully re-opened, and our tournaments are being scheduled. Fauci can say what he wants, but he has no authority to stop the NFL from having a season, and the US appetite for shutting down is pretty sated.

Now, there may be no fans in attendance, but, barring an overwhelming resurgence of da Rona, there will be an NFL season.

Right, except an NFL team has 53 on the primary roster, a practice squad, plus guys rehabbing.

This time of year that's about 90 guys.

Add support staff, and we're talking easily 150 people at the VMAC on a given practice day.

UFC events involve a few dozen people, at most, and training can happen in small groups.

NHL as you note only has small groups doing things.

I just think there's a really really really huge difference when you look at the number of people involved with a given football team, and the extended close contact, both in training and in events.

NBA has 12 man rosters, so roughly 1/4th of a typical NFL roster.

MLB has 25 man rosters, and quite a few of those guys won't see action on a given day, so they could even play games with something like 12 or 15 man rosters. So call that 1/2 or 1/3rd.

When you look at the way the virus spreads, it's significant that the number of people is dramatically less. Having 1/4th of the number of people involved (NBA) might mean that the odds of transmission are 1/20th as much, or even more.

I haven't even started talking about the fact that NFL has 22 players (two teams) on the field at a time, all of which can come in close proximity on any given play, vs NBA having 10 players, vs MLB having a similar player count but usually only the catcher and batter at the plate are in close proximity.

These are ALL very different things.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
With the NHL/MLB/college football info (also heard positives at Alabama and University of Houston among others) it is difficult to see how close contact sports involving hundreds of players plus staff plus contractors can go on, even without fans.

I think if the NFL wants these games to be played, they have to do an XFL and have a couple teams bubbled up, on perpetual quarantine, and ready to play if in fact two teams have to NFI 30 guys total after one game. Which could happen.

pmedic920

Reaction score
chrispy":3qzhk0fe said:

Neither does Covid19 if that person adheres to the guidelines of hand washing, no face touching, wearing a mask him/herself, and distancing.