Dunbar on commish exempt list

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just heard that too. That's a big blow. Someone saying that Pete and John should have seen this coming in 3....2....1...….

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2593txlb said:
Just heard that too. That's a big blow. Someone saying that Pete and John should have seen this coming in 3....2....1...….
Good thing we got that Jamal Adams guy!

Wonder if he makes the secondary better?!

Lol

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This truly sucks. :pukeface:

Dunbar's addition was one of the team's best offseason moves and then this blockhead goes to a gambling party with guys with guns there.

Dunbar's contract may possibly toll as he hasn't even reported to camp yet. Nuts!

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1287815861005242368[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is called the "OMG you did something really serious so we're not even going to give you the benefit of the doubt and play until we vet out what you did, so you're exempt."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Having Adams is massive, considering that we are looking at Flowers back as the starter in front of him. A great safety can help immensely as we have seen in Seattle. It sucks to lose him, but having Adams back there makes it a lot less of a blow. And it's not like we are expecting Dunbar to play, just hoping.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wonder if the team was given a heads up on this situation by the league office? That might have certainly factored in the thinking over the trade for Adams.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Crap. Should get a roster AND SALARY exemption until this clears up. And this could be a cloudy situation this whole season.

No doubt the Seahawks brass has their own investigation going on to make sure their interests are protected, but what a crappy situation all around!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3f2mx0q7 said:
Wonder if the team was given a heads up on this situation by the league office? That might have certainly factored in the thinking over the trade for Adams.

Yes. Teams are usually given the decision days, even weeks sometimes before the press.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It obviously factored in, but that still doesn't change how much this sucks and how great an Adams/Diggs/Dunbar/Griffin secondary could have been. Flowers will look a lot better with Diggs and Adams but we could have had a shot at LOB 2.0.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2jklu5ld said:
Can they cut him?? Time to get rid of him and find a replacement.

Yes, and doubtful.

We can still pay him, but exempt means he doesn't count against the cap. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut to save the 3.5M of cap, especially if we're still trying to get one of the 4-5 free agent DE's or DT's.

Your second question? Highly doubtful there's time to go find a top CB with Dunbar's talent and potential, and most importantly price.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
NFL seems to be opening themselves up to a pretty hefty lawsuit if they just suspend him indefinitely, especially if he is able to eventually wiggle out of charges when this goes to court. I'm hearing that due to covid he might not go to court until 2021/2022.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This seems to essentially mean he won't be playing until legal matters are settled, and that'll be a year or two.

If that's true, it makes sense to get his salary off of the books. It looks like it'd free up $3.4ish million. According to Sportrac, there's no dead cap hit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":8um82boz said:
NFL seems to be opening themselves up to a pretty hefty lawsuit if they just suspend him indefinitely, especially if he is able to eventually wiggle out of charges when this goes to court. I'm hearing that due to covid he might not go to court until 2021/2022.

Doesn't matter what the end result of Dunbar's legal matters are, as we found out with Reed they can suspend a player that wasn't even arrested or convicted of anything.

All the exempt status tells us is that the league sees this as a serious enough offense to not even wait for the legal proceedings to conclude, they're going to not let him practice or play immediately.

Now the ball's in the John and Pete's court to either pay him for sitting all year, or cut him. My guess? Dunbar's going to get cut. Why pay a guy for a year or two when you can free up his salary to use elsewhere.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yf0bi69k said:
therealjohncarlson":yf0bi69k said:

Doesn't matter what the end result of Dunbar's legal matters are, as we found out with Reed they can suspend a player that wasn't even arrested or convicted of anything.

All the exempt status tells us is that the league sees this as a serious enough offense to not even wait for the legal proceedings to conclude, they're going to not let him practice or play immediately.

Now the ball's in the John and Pete's court to either pay him for sitting all year, or cut him. My guess? Dunbar's going to get cut. Why pay a guy for a year or two when you can free up his salary to use elsewhere.

Hmm I know what they have done in the past but Ive never heard of a situation where it could potentially drag on for years with no apparent hard evidence of any wrong doing occurring. Not sure what his legal rights in all this is, but I think if they NFL suspends him until this is all cleared up and it lasts years I could see this being grounds to sue the NFL and change how they conduct business.

The main argument I would think Dunbar could make is that without being convicted of anything the NFL caused him to directly miss out on making mutli millions of dollars in the prime of his career playing in the only league available for him to make a reasonable salary using the skills he has.

I know this is an argument that can be made in other careers where there is no real substitute for their trade skills. Not sure how many protections the NFL has in place against this, but I would guess if this happens the way it appears to be happening we will find out soon enough.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bye Bye Dunbar. Coulda, woulda, shoulda....now get that $3.4M and put it toward someone who contributes to the team in 2020.

Latest posts