Most important positions outside of QB?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It seems like there is a wide variance between everyone - including coaches and fans of the most important positions. Of course QB goes without question. Many here, me included think that DE and/or DT is important while PC goes and signs Safeties. Yes, there is certainly a give and take - have a great D line and you can live with not as good of backfield - and vice versa.

So, my general question is if you had RW locked up as QB and then had to pick 3-4 pro bowl level players to build the O and D around what positions do you have? At what positions do you platoon or go cheap? Yes, we can't have all pros at 25 spots but where are you going all in and where are you cutting corners?

Rat

Reaction score
If there had been a DE available as good as Adams, they probably would have considered that. I just like talent. Get the best you can and build around them.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Rat":2j2miwv3 said:
If there had been a DE available as good as Adams, they probably would have considered that. I just like talent. Get the best you can and build around them.

Oh completely agree. It is more a general question. Do you start with a pro bowl MLB, DE WR and Safety or do you pick different positions to build around if you are starting from scratch?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
We built the pretty-much-best-ever defense of 2013 around Earl Thomas. Having that much talent at safety (along with Kam) allowed the rest of the D to be built as PC desired. IMO. Looks like we're doing it again.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If the entire team is an 80 madden rating and you get to add a single 100, and it can't be a QB, then I would add a WR.

However, positions synergize with each other. Having a HOF LT next to a HOF LG was pretty great for us despite LG not being a premium position on its own. Inversely, adding a HOF player to a weak defense isn't that helpful because the offense can just pick on the weak areas.

chris98251

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1adrzgqs said:
It seems like there is a wide variance between everyone - including coaches and fans of the most important positions. Of course QB goes without question. Many here, me included think that DE and/or DT is important while PC goes and signs Safeties. Yes, there is certainly a give and take - have a great D line and you can live with not as good of backfield - and vice versa.

So, my general question is if you had RW locked up as QB and then had to pick 3-4 pro bowl level players to build the O and D around what positions do you have? At what positions do you platoon or go cheap? Yes, we can't have all pros at 25 spots but where are you going all in and where are you cutting corners?

This is a loaded question really, depends on the systems you use.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1chn8sh9 said:

1. DE
2. DT
3. C
4. TE

DE and DT, pocket breakers
C, Wilson is to be protected right up the middle
TE. an elite TE is a mismatch for every defense

You can win consistently if Russ is the QB and had these 4 positions set (assuming they’re elite)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
For a Pete Carroll team the answers will be different than someone like a Holmgren.

For Pete,

You want a shutdown corner that is rangy and physical, great LT, exceptional DE or stud MLB, and a great safeties.

Pete can probably get by with a very good but not great RB, but he almost depends on great safeties.

Homgren would prefer stud OL (LT and Guard), great WR, great RB, and a DE/DT or lockdown corner. Even so, pretty such Holmgren would pick a stud DE over DT. (DTs are often hilariously overrrated in terms of how much they contribute to wins).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MLB is probably the single most important position on defense. He is the "QB" of the defense. Seahawks have Wagner who is regarded top 5 if not the best MLB in the NFL. Panthers defense was great due to Luke Kuechly. All great defenses had an excellent MLB.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":254ft4vh said:

1. LT (silly not to protect the most important player on the team)
2. WR
3. MLB
4. DE

Maulbert

Reaction score
I think it's coach by coach, and I believe very little is more valuable to Pete than the safeties. Consider the fact that Earl was his first big defensive acquisition in year one, and Kam came from the same draft. I don't believe there's a lot of positions he'd shell out for like that.

Nunya

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1xjehkma said:

In today's age of mobile QBs, I disagree with this 110%. If DBs can not cover or read the offense, the QB can often get rid of the ball before the rush can get to them. Also, a good offense can make up lost yards from a sack, but they can not make up for an interception. Yes, QB pressure is important and good DB's can give the DL time to apply that pressure. Not saying a good DL is less important as a good rush will help the DBs, but good coverage pays dividends.

KinesProf

Reaction score
The market for the high end DEs has skyrocketed so much recently that I'm just not sure the value is worth it now for a position that isn't QB. As good as they are, I'm not sure I'd want a Myles Garrett or Joey Bosa on their current deals.

The analytics are also starting to show that coverage is more important than pass rush, and that Safeties contribute a higher WAR than DEs.

So, aside from QB, give me a:
Great MLB like Wagner
Great Safety like Adams
Pro Bowl CB like Shaquill
A monster height -weight -speed WR like Metcalf
A steady high -end LT like Duane Brown

Fade

Reaction score
HC/playcaller.

Is #2 behind the QB. Shanny is why the 9ers will be a problem every year going forward.

McVay working miracles with Goff.

After QB when it comes to players only, right now I would say LT.

A dominant LT makes the QB, RB, WRs, and even the defense better. (Sustain more drives keeping the defense more rested.)

QB
HC

LT
DT (PASS RUSHERS ARE IN LOWER SUPPLY FROM THE INTERIOR.)
DE
CB ( Pete's system swap with Safety.)
RT
IL
WR
S

Slot (Supply outstrips demand)
TE
NB

NT
LB

K
RB (Supply outstrips demand by far.)

LS
P

Teams should pay their stars regardless of position because stars are hard to find.

There is also a money ball approach at play as well. If teams are overvaluing pass rushers, maybe load up on guys that can cover. So it is all relative.

IL has consistently been undervalued in the league since I have been following it. QB & RB play can drastically improve with quality blocking upfront.

Here's one teams should be doing. Draft RBs in the latter rounds and move them to Jet/WR. Run after catch isn't much different than run after handoff when utilizing a quick, short passing game.