Preseason

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I don’t recall the original schedule, but it seems like today or at least this weekend would have Been the first preseason game. With no preseason games to watch, it’s going to be difficult for us fans to get excited about preseason warriors and perceived breakout players. It gets me to wondering how much weight the coaching staff really put on preseason games. It seems that almost every year there are guys that grab the fans attention seemingly out of nowhere. We get to ooh and ahh over their “game” contributions and extrapolate that information to their impending HOF careers only to be disappointed at their release at the final cutdown. This leads to a wringing of hands and the eventual weeks long dialogue that the coaches don’t know what they are doing and need to go ASAP.

Coaches see these players from OTAs to trying camp days to preseason games. We fans get glimpses. How much weight is put on game performance vs camp practice? There are guys who perform better in practice than they do in games just as there are guys that play way better in games than they practice. Does this all mean that there will be a bigger emphasis on intrasquad scrimmages? I’m thinking we might see a higher rate of turnover on the practice squad and those lower roster guys than normal.

Every team will go through a less than normal evaluation period which will result in more guys slipping through the cracks. Leave no stone unturned may be bigger than ever. Talent evaluation will require a different lens and much bigger scope of focus during this pandemic.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I posted this with the intent of finding out what everyone’s thoughts on the lack of preseason games as an evaluation piece would be. Since no one responded I’m guessing I didn’t really pose the question very well. It just seems to me that as fans we based a lot of roster building on preseason game performances. Does/did the coaching staff weigh preseason game performances over practices?
How will no games really affect the final roster? Am I the only one who wonders about this?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2q2maxbg said:
I posted this with the intent of finding out what everyone’s thoughts on the lack of preseason games as an evaluation piece would be. Since no one responded I’m guessing I didn’t really pose the question very well. It just seems to me that as fans we based a lot of roster building on preseason game performances. Does/did the coaching staff weigh preseason game performances over practices?
How will no games really affect the final roster? Am I the only one who wonders about this?

I was just thinking about how I'll miss the preseason. Now I'm not a season tix holder that is forced to pay full prices for two exhibition games. But wetting our football appetite, getting to know the new rookies/FA's and ramping up for the season is great. Especially with warm weather still around. But alas not this year.

Gonna be hard for the UDFA guys, Not sure if Doug Baldwin, Kearse, other key core guys we found that were longshots happens without preseason games.

Torc

Reaction score
I'd really like to see the practice squads expanded to let teams keep some of those bubble guys, as well as provide potential depth in a season where Covid may hit players.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Torc":2cmzalj0 said:
I'd really like to see the practice squads expanded to let teams keep some of those bubble guys, as well as provide potential depth in a season where Covid may hit players.

Would be a catch 22- It's a nice fail safe in case half your roster catches the Covid, But it's also more guys to potentially bring it into your bubble. Plus, you have to pay them.

MLB hasn't shown a model where they actually make teams play without their covid players by using the taxi squad.

I don't know what the answer is.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rosters and practice squads should have been expanded to start the season and then cut down to normal for game 3.

A 60 person roster seems reasonable to me since you always have about 6 or 7 bubble guys.