Great read! Russ wants the handcuffs removed before 4th qt

xray

Reaction score
Carroll is too old and stubborn to change his style of coaching at the end of his career . I would be shocked if he did .

Ozzy

Reaction score
A couple of posters got ran out of here for saying the exact same thing as Russ is saying. Strange.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Even if we didn't win 1 extra game because of this, it would still be fun football to watch. Of course we all know that we would win a few more.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
With the bar to entering the playoffs getting lowered, it might make sense to make this change.

There are some good arguments to be made that this strategy keeps us in games and gives Russ a chance to win games we might have otherwise lost. But I think that losing 1 or 2 extra games a year is completely worth it if we do better in the playoffs.

Right now, our success rate in playoff games outside of the wildcards is pathetic. If can stop letting teams roll up multiple touchdown leads by halftime, we can win 1 or 2 of these. That is progress and success. It does not need to be SB or bust. Just don't get blown out by halftime but our team is so used to playing a certain way - we cannot flip the switch to change in the playoffs until it is too late.

I know that Carroll believes that this strategy helps us learn to play well in close games. Thing is, in the playoffs the games are not close. We get our doors blown off by end of the 2nd qtr and then spend the next 2 scratching to catch up. And then, even if we get it close, we lose.

So not sure what the benefit here is. It is a strategy to help us learn to succeed in a playoff environment we rarely find ourselves in. It needs to go, even that costs us a game here and there.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Russell's crazy if he thinks they should throw more at the start of the season!!

Remember the 1st 2 games of the 2018 season where he got hammered by opposing defenses because we had a new Offensive line? How does he think the current OLine, with LITTLE to NO PRACTICES or preseason games, is going to protect him? It can't!

They need to get the run game going until this OLine has a chance to gel. Otherwise we're going to have a beat up and gunshy QB halfway through the season.

Once the OLine starts to come together, then we can open it up. Until then, patience.

Defenses ALWAYS have the advantage early in the season. It will be magnified this year.

Ease up Russell. Your coaches know what they're doing. Last year during the play offs, we were decimated in the run game, and our secondary was garbage. Not so this year.

John63

Reaction score
ivotuk":30tz6crr said:
Russell's crazy if he thinks they should throw more at the start of the season!!

Remember the 1st 2 games of the 2018 season where he got hammered by opposing defenses because we had a new Offensive line? How does he think the current OLine, with LITTLE to NO PRACTICES or preseason games, is going to protect him? It can't!

They need to get the run game going until this OLine has a chance to gel. Otherwise we're going to have a beat up and gunshy QB halfway through the season.

Once the OLine starts to come together, then we can open it up. Until then, patience.

Defenses ALWAYS have the advantage early in the season. It will be magnified this year.

Ease up Russell. Your coaches know what they're doing. Last year during the play offs, we were decimated in the run game, and our secondary was garbage. Not so this year.

Remember that we tried to run the same system in 2018. Now image a quick hitting system like we ran in 2015 when the RBs were all injured. FYI defenses really have the advantage when they know we will wait till 3 or fewer seconds to snap it.

As to your whole last year excuses, sorry the reality is knowing that our defense was garbage but still playing like ti was top 10 was WRONG and shows the coaches don't know what they are doing at all. The only offensive position were we are top 3 is QB so lets start using him like a top 3 QB.

Also given your concern about the oline how is Wilson throwing more on all downs not better than having him in constant 3rd and longs which put him even more at risk. Answer it is not. It is not even about throwing more so much as mixing it in more, changing when the ball is snapped, changing the rhythm and cadence so the defense can not key off on 3 or fewer seconds.

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":328q8bub said:

You make some great points and that's a very useful description. The league's operating environment and team development this year is very different ....... as in unrepresented. We are witnessing an adventure into uncharted territory.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
"Treat every quarter like it's the 4th."

I doubt you will find a single 12 that disagrees.

xray

Reaction score
austinslater25":36og1g5d said:
A couple of posters got ran out of here for saying the exact same thing as Russ is saying. Strange.
You mean some sort of banning ? Hmmm :D

Jville

Reaction score
xray":3mibv8mf said:
austinslater25":3mibv8mf said:

:177692: The "Let Russ Cook" theme has a large following. It dates back to at least as early as January of this year. The theme has legs. Nobody is being run off or banned for posting similar sentiment within a thread specifically dedicated to it's stated subject.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jville":28la2wyw said:
xray":28la2wyw said:
austinslater25":28la2wyw said:

:177692: The "Let Russ Cook" theme has a large following. It dates back to at least as early as January of this year. The theme has legs. Nobody is being run off or banned for posting similar sentiment within a thread specifically dedicated to it's stated subject.

Im with Jville on this. I've even been on the "Let Russ throw more" and "Hike the ball before the playclock is on zero!" wagon, and there've been zero repercussions on myself or my compatriots.

I'm behind Russell too when it comes to giving him more control at the LOS, just not in the 1st quarter of the season.

We've got NOBODY on the OLine this year that's completely healthy, or experienced.

Duane Brown is what? 35? And he's coming off of a knee surgery.

Mike Iupati is 33 and has been knicked up recently, only playing 1 game in 2017, and 10 in 2018.

Then there's who at Center, Right Guard, and Right Tackle?

And they've had how many snaps playing together? Zero.

I think that once these guys get 4 or so games under their belt, and Russell gets used to his new Center, that then we can go with varied snap counts, and have more options to throw the pass on 1st and 2nd down. But until then, I"m all for Pounding the ball with Chris Carson, Carlos Hyde, and whoever RB3 & RB4 are.

Chris Carson 1,151 (4.7 YPC) and 1,250 (4.4 YPC) yards in the past 2 years. Carlos Hyde ran for 1040 yards and 4.4 YPC last year. So we've got the horses to beat up on opposing defenses early in the year.

And with a massively improved defense this year, it won't all be on Russell Wilson's shoulders like it was last year.

Darrell Taylor, if he can get healthy after his leg surgery, will be a revelation this year, and I would expect 9 sacks from him. Dude is a stud that played all last year with a leg fracture, and was under consideration for a 1st round pick.

Add to that, LJ Collier is going to show why Seattle picked him in the late 1st round. We just need a little health, and our DLine will have a bounce back year now that we have a secondary.

THEN, Russell can Cook all he wants, and the Defense will do Clean Up the Pots & PAns!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1hb2gjty said:

Totally agree with this post.. :2thumbs:
Is John on vacation? :sarcasm_on:

TraderGary

Reaction score
Hello fellow Seahawk fans. I've been an avid Seahawks fan from day one of the franchise, and have been reading this forum for quite some time but never posted anything until today. I'm contributing this post, (you might call it a rant), because I feel strongly about it and have felt this way for several years, so here you go.

So we've arguably got one of the top two QB's in the NFL, and a future Hall of Famer. He's clearly the best player on the team, and one of the best in the entire league, and at the most important position on the football field.

So why then would Pete Carrol do everything in his power to turn Russ into a game manager for 3 quarters? I promise you defenses and defensive coordinators are scared to death of Russ. But we have a HC that chooses to take one of the best weapons in the NFL and neutralize him. Every defensive coordinator in the league should send PC a thank you card after they play the Hawks because PC is doing them a HUGE favor by running the style of offense he runs and taking the ball out of his best players hands. Honestly, it boggles the mind. There's absolutely no logic in it. Playing not to lose, which is what PC does, is a losers mentality.

Say what you will about Pete Carrol. You cannot argue with his success since he's been in Seattle, and I thank him for that. And I actually enjoy his high energy style of coaching. BUT, how much of his success here is due to RW bailing him out time and time again in the 4th quarter with a miracle comeback? Put a league average QB on the team and I would argue that Carrol's record in Seattle would be mediocre at best.

His coaching philosophy is archaic and outdated. Wilson's prime years are being wasted because of a HC who refuses to see the gift he's been given staring him right in the face. How many teams in the NFL have been trying desperately, for years, or even decades, to find a franchise QB, and we have one of the best, but refuse to utilize him to his full potential. Russ is a great QB and a future HOF'er, but he could be even better with a coach that knows how to properly use him, like an Andy Reid.

I desperately hope Carroll will listen to Wilson's pleas to remove the handcuffs and actually play to win for 4 quarters instead of one. Remove the handcuffs, sign Clowney, and this is a Super Bowl team once again.

And for the earlier poster that said RW would not survive behind our offensive line, well without going into a lot of detail, I actually think they'll be better than most think. But even if they're not, how many times has RW had a good OL since he's been here? The answer is never. And yet I'd say he's been pretty successful here, wouldn't you? And he's never missed a start. So I don't really consider that a valid argument.

poly1274

Reaction score
Title is so mis-leading.

He wants every quarter to be like the 4th quarter.