LJ Collier starting at 5T over Rasheem Green

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
On the unofficial depth chart. Update needs to be made to replace Ursua with Hart.

RCB listed as Flowers OR Dunbar, so no update there.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benyarthur/status/1303462547962523653[/tweet]

I'm pretty jacked. I'm hoping to see more of what he put on tape in college - strength, decent pressure, and solid anchor. A healthy minicamp may be just the ticket for him. Also, LJ Collier emerging would keep Rasheem fresh off the bench. Bodes well for the rotation.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thx for sharing. Really looking forward to seeing what this rotation can do. Opportunity right in front of these guys. Did I want them to add more? Absolutely. But, this is what we have, time to rock.

Rat

Reaction score
Glad they're giving LJ a chance. I don't get what anyone sees in Green. He's Captain Invisible.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Certainly won't be an exclusive position given our lack of defensive tackles. He'll be kicking inside a lot.

ivotuk

Reaction score
My money's on Trey Flowers. Dunbar hasn't had enough reps of this defense, and I'm pretty sure Washington's defense was a lot different.

Rat

Reaction score
ivotuk":193gdhys said:
My money's on Trey Flowers. Dunbar hasn't had enough reps of this defense, and I'm pretty sure Washington's defense was a lot different.

Flowers must have bulked up a lot to play 5T. Good on him for stepping in where we need the help.

EDIT: I admit, I only looked at the headline and thought the guy I’m quoting accidentally posted in the wrong thread. I’ll leave my idiocy up though.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
ivotuk":3s8vn5fl said:

I agree. Flowers should start the season, he's had the more complete camp. Dunbar probably needs to work his way in and get some consistent work under his belt.

kf3339

Reaction score
Rat":3ew1muam said:
ivotuk":3ew1muam said:

Flowers must have bulked up a lot to play 5T. Good on him for stepping in where we need the help.

:ditto: What a 5T he will make for our team! :irishdrinkers:

kf3339

Reaction score
To be serious though, if LJ can at least be a serviceable 5T that is a good thing. We certainly do need a young guy to step up on our D-Line, and he is our most recent highest pick in the draft. So time to shine young man!

massari

Reaction score
They signed backup type players like Finney, Ogbuehi, Hollister for around $10M, over a legit starter like Everson Griffen for $6M-$10M.

Old/injury plagued Greg Olsen with one foot in the broadcast booth was more of a priority than the DL.

We shall see

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
massari":25d3vpbv said:
They signed backup type players like Finney, Ogbuehi, Hollister for around $10M, over a legit starter like Everson Griffen for $6M-$10M.

Old/injury plagued Greg Olsen with one foot in the broadcast booth was more of a priority than the DL.

We shall see

Fair to wonder just how much Griffen has left in the tank after a fairly bad second half of last season for him.

godawg

Reaction score
It is also fair to wonder whether Everton Griffin will be able to finish this Covid-affected season without mental health issues interfering .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

massari

Reaction score
I wonder if Collier/Green can consistently play as well as Griffen at his worst from those final 6 regular season games of last season, where he supposedly managed only one game above a 70 PFF grade after his hot start to the season. Griffen was a beast in the playoffs against the Saints though.

godawg":3l9zkhbi said:
It is also fair to wonder whether Everton Griffin will be able to finish this Covid-affected season without mental health issues interfering .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What If? That doesn't sound like a very good reason to avoid signing a proven talent, at a very important position, at the expense of 2-3 guys like that.

toffee

Reaction score
If Collier is starting instead of Green at 5 tech, one got to wonder how much Green sucked at training camp.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It's also fair to wonder if Griffen, like Clowney, simply didn't want to play here, and would only have done so for a significantly larger contract.

I know we all tend to view Seattle as the destination team, and think that the only thing standing in the way of free agents signing with the Hawks is money.

What if I told you that a lot of defensive stars have been pretty unhappy here? Some of them have even been pretty vocal about it. What if I told you that most of these free agents are good buddies with our former, and current, defensive players, and they get the vibe of the team by talking with those who have experience in the system?

Maybe these guys would prefer to go to a system where there isn't so much pressure put on the defense to be the bulwark behind which the offense stands, for three quarters of the game, while looking for pot shots.

Maybe those d-line guys would rather go to a system that lets them shine at attacking the offense, instead of one built around the line being a wall that lets the linebackers and secondary shine.

I'm sure we could have freed up the necessary money to bring in Clowney or Griffen, but maybe they just really didn't want to come here.

Just some thoughts on the situation.

AlciG

Reaction score
toffee":3439lfu8 said:
If Collier is starting instead of Green at 5 tech, one got to wonder how much Green sucked at training camp.

Or maybe neither sucked and Collier just had a very good camp

nwHawk

Reaction score
toffee":1fhajh1i said:

Many fans will think the same way, but I believe Pete wants LJ to start to protect against the run, and then bring in Green on obvious passing downs.

keasley45

Reaction score
nwHawk":14cxm0o8 said:
toffee":14cxm0o8 said:

Many fans will think the same way, but I believe Pete wants LJ to start to protect against the run, and then bring in Green on obvious passing downs.

This

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not sure the term "starter" means as much as it used to, especially on the D-Line where they rotate guys every series, and are changing guys in and out every play based on down and distance.

:Dunno:

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like LJ Collier a lot more than most. He's not your traditional Edge rusher, but will probably average 8 - 9 sacks a year. Where his value comes in is going to be setting the edge, and stopping the run. 2 things we sucked at last year. People ran all over us, then killed us with misdirection and the passing game.

I'm shocked that we won as many games as we did, but that's all a credit to Russell Wilson,Tyler Lockett, DK Metcalk and Chris Carson among others.

I think our defense vastly improves this year, coming in around the top 10, maybe at #12. I've been kind of up an down on this, but I think #12 is reasonable, and good enough, with our offense, to get to the SuperB Owl.

And I think LJ is going to be part of that improvement.

For those that think he was overdrafted, maybe so, but not by much. He was probably valued as a 2nd round pick by most people, and I know Todd McShay had him as a very late 1st, to mid 2nd round pick. And that late in the 1st round, you're unlikely to find a legit first round talent. FYI, McShay thought Seattle was the best place for Collier to go for success in the NFL.

Is TCU’s L.J. Collier a first-round pick?

McShay’s most against-the-grain take is the Patriots taking TCU defensive end L.J. Collier at the end of the first round.

In over 50 mock drafts surveyed in our SB Nation database, it’s the only time Collier appears in the first round. In his mock draft six days ago, McShay had Collier just outside the first round at No. 35 to the Raiders.

There are surprising first-round picks every year (nobody projected Steelers safety Terrell Edmunds in the first round last year), so it’s certainly possible that Collier gets his name called.

Collier’s athletic profile doesn’t scream first-round pick, nor do his 14.5 sacks in four seasons. But McShay clearly sees something in the TCU pass rusher that most others don’t.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/9/1 ... pn-3-round

Latest posts