ST Coach Brian Schenider has left team indefinitely

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1304527962272718848[/tweet]

From Carroll's presser. Pete walked off before clarifying the timeframe, so it's indefinite for now. Larry Izzo has assumed the role in the interim.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":20s6o5r2 said:
Wow, odd timing.
Hope everything is ok with the guy.

Sounds like possibly a personal tragedy of some sort. I'm also wishing him well.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Regarding interim Special Teams Coordinator Larry Izzo:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1304528525442064384[/tweet]

Osprey

Reaction score
They didn’t use the dreaded ‘To spend more time with his family’ so could be anything.
Are NFL teams required to report Covid issues with the staff?

Izzo’s resume looks solid, hoping for the best.

xray

Reaction score
Could it be a parting of the ways for professional reasons too ?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":xzvae2m8 said:
xray":xzvae2m8 said:
Absolutely.
Seahawks Special Teams, aside from Dickson's punting, have been *underwhelming* the last couple years based on the eye test and game impacts. New Orleans game last year was a low point.

We all (mostly) know how highly Carroll values Special Teams, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a parting of the ways for professional reasons. Maybe simply Schneider had trouble functioning effectively in the "new normal" environment, of Zoom meetings, social distancing, etc.

BigMeach

Reaction score
olyfan63":2z5b6pai said:
Sports Hernia":2z5b6pai said:
xray":2z5b6pai said:
Absolutely.
Seahawks Special Teams, aside from Dickson's punting, have been *underwhelming* the last couple years based on the eye test and game impacts. New Orleans game last year was a low point.

We all (mostly) know how highly Carroll values Special Teams, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a parting of the ways for professional reasons. Maybe simply Schneider had trouble functioning effectively in the "new normal" environment, of Zoom meetings, social distancing, etc.

That seems way too strange to me. It's definitely something personal, whether it's health issues for himself or a close family member, or something else serious enough to warrant walking away from your team RIGHT before the season begins. If it were a competency thing it would have likely already happened and I'm sure they'd do it like they and every other team does... they'd fire him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
BigMeach":1azhn5po said:
That seems way too strange to me. It's definitely something personal, whether it's health issues for himself or a close family member, or something else serious enough to warrant walking away from your team RIGHT before the season begins. If it were a competency thing it would have likely already happened and I'm sure they'd do it like they and every other team does... they'd fire him.

Yeah, I think you're right, and I jumped the gun. Carroll is known for loyalty to his assistants, sometimes to a fault. I was over on Kiro's site and read Pete's statement, and just the way it was reported, it sounds like a personal thing, maybe a parent needing medical care or something.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is unfortunate!

I hope whatever the ‘personal reasons’ are can be worked out and everything returns to normal for Coach Schneider. It’s never a good thing to change a coaching staff just when the season is about to start. Brian Schneider will be back coaching somewhere before too long.

Quite honestly I admit I have been a detractor of Coach Schneider though and have thought for a few seasons now the team could be improved on ST with a coaching change, a fresh approach and some new ideas. For Coach Schneider I thank him for his time here and am hoping for better things from Coach Izzo.

I remember Larry Izzo as a player who played with his hair on fire, he was a very good player. Here’s a WIKI on him that tells you a lot about the man. He’s undoubtedly qualified, and likely a wild man as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Izzo

I am hoping the fresh look as the new ST coordinator bring an uptick in ST play. The kicker is in place, as is the punter, and long snapper, the team has a great group of young hungry players to take no prisoners.

Without appearing to sound cold: “next man up”.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I voiced my desired to replace Brian in the past so I am not disappointed that we are going into the season with a change. However, I feel bad for the man and I hope it's nothing too serious. Being on the eve of our first game, I suspect it must be worse than we know. Best wishes to you and your family.

Having said that I think this year will be a very good year for our special teams. Field position is so important to this team. Go Hawks!

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jammerhawk":wtv7qxrq said:
This is unfortunate!

I hope whatever the ‘personal reasons’ are can be worked out and everything returns to normal for Coach Schneider. It’s never a good thing to change a coaching staff just when the season is about to start. Brian Schneider will be back coaching somewhere before too long.

Quite honestly I admit I have been a detractor of Coach Schneider though and have thought for a few seasons now the team could be improved on ST with a coaching change, a fresh approach and some new ideas. For Coach Schneider I thank him for his time here and am hoping for better things from Coach Izzo.

I remember Larry Izzo as a player who played with his hair on fire, he was a very good player. Here’s a WIKI on him that tells you a lot about the man. He’s undoubtedly qualified, and likely a wild man as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Izzo

I am hoping the fresh look as the new ST coordinator bring an uptick in ST play. The kicker is in place, as is the punter, and long snapper, the team has a great group of young hungry players to take no prisoners.

Without appearing to sound cold: “next man up”.

If I had to guess, I'd think that he probably returns here sometime during the next few weeks. The way Pete made it sound was like a temporary absence rather than a permanent resignation, but he was fairly vague so I could be wrong

Stainlesssteve

Reaction score
Maybe he didn’t agree with the plan for his Special Teams Unit to take a knee?

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Stainlesssteve":246b3ghe said:

I wouldn't put that as a likely scenario, but I suppose its possible

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Stainlesssteve":prk8jn99 said:

That seems like an awfully petty thing to draw a line in the sand over. That’s the hill you are going to die for?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3rwpew6j said:
Stainlesssteve":3rwpew6j said:

That seems like an awfully petty thing to draw a line in the sand over. That’s the hill you are going to die for?

Just a reminder the above is pure speculation in the absence of data, not a statement of fact.
Besides, everybody knows he was abducted by aliens. I just hope he survives the experiments and they return him safely without too much trauma. All the special teams breakdowns have been traumatic enough.

Latest posts