The Herd "Seattle has the worst off. & def. lines in NFL

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Well...the Seahawks O-Line last year was pretty bad....and they didn't exactly add any stars to it in the offseason or any continuity.

The Seahawks D-Line last year was also pretty bad...and the arguably the best and only impact player left to Tennessee. Once again with no real stars added to it in the offseason either.

So for a sports analyst to make this bold prediction, I wouldn't find it very insulting and would love for the Hawks to prove it wrong but offseason doesn't say otherwise.

Mick063

Reaction score
Addition by Subtraction. The offensive line is better without Ifedi. You see....the problem wasn't about letting Russ cook. The problem was about Russ being repeatedly forced to overcome Ifedi's unforced errors (pre snap penalties). Persistent "First and fifteen" is why Seattle's offense (and Russ) habitually started so slow.

The Hawks actually spent the money that was set aside for resigning Clowney alternatively on offensive lineman. Indeed, once they decided to move on from Clowney's 20 mil price tag, they invested up front. No one can make an honest assessment about the wisdom of this until we see the offensive line in action. Including Cow Herd.

As far as the defensive line goes, Clowney was a monster.....when he didn't have a hernia. In other words, he had significant impact for about 3 games. Meanwhile, Mayowa and Irvin combined for 15 sacks last year. The Seahawks had a total of 28. Clowney had 3 of them. That was Wagner, Wright, the defensive tackles, the infrequent blitzing safeties, the defensive end rotations, the passing down packages.....everything combined. The whole team........and Irvin/Mayowa combined for more than half that many sacks last season.

I almost wish they would have kept Jacob Martin instead of dealing him for Clowney's one year rental. Martin put Mahomes on the ground early Thursday night. Not an easy thing to do. Just ask the vaunted 49er pass rushers. You know what? It wouldn't surprise me at all if Jacob Martin is on a future Seahawk roster. Pete has a thing for bringing guys back after they develop a little bit (ie. Michael Bennett and now Mayowa/Irvin) and just like Michael Bennett's prosperous return, I expect similar results from Irvin/Mayowa.

The pundits, as usual, don't have any idea until they see the team in action.

pmedic920

Reaction score
His take on the Seahawks lines isn’t necessarily a crazy one, and he’s talking about “betting”with the “points”.

The other points he made aren’t unrealistic either.

Homer in me says he’s going to lose his bet but I don’t think he’s being unreasonable in the slightest.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Offensive line is a complete unknown. This is this first year that it is truly Solari's line. It's the first year he didn't have to plug in a bunch of Cable's reclamation projects all over the line. The Cable leftovers are guys that he feels are serviceable linemen.

Do I think it will be a great line? No. Do I think it will be the best line we have had since 2012? Yes, I actually do. Probably not right away. With no pre-season, and no time working together in a real game, it may be pretty rusty for a bit. But, I do believe that this will be the most Solari line we have had, which is to say it will be a good, perfectly average, NFL line, which will be the best line Wilson has had since 2012.

Addition by subtraction is the correct take. Addition by subtracting Cable, and all the terrible players he stuffed into our line.

As far as the defensive line goes, yeah, I'm worried. Championships are won in the trenches, and I'm doubtful we have the D-line to go the distance.

xray

Reaction score
Both lines are an unknown right now . We haven't seen the team play yet . Sunday will show what the Hawks lines have or don't have . Hopefully they have improved from last season .

Somos doces

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":108wzskx said:
harryjohnson":108wzskx said:
And he's picking Atlanta. He says Ryan will own the Hawks. Put THAT on the billboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_PCh3BMKA
Can’t believe anyone still listens to that clown.
He seems to really like being the contrarian.
For what it’s worth, Cowherd is one of Russell Wilson’s biggest fans.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
If you're not worried about the OL and DL both you're either not paying attention or a total Carroll Koolaid Junkie.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I'm worried about our defensive tackle depth for sure. However, I think our offensive line will be much better than we've had in years. You can see that they're set to pass block better. They have quality running backs that will keep the run blocking looking very good. We stay out of third and long, and win third downs and games will be fun!

rjdriver

Reaction score
Anecdotally...

If there is anything I have learned over the course of my 40 years of fandom, is that the Seahawks perpetually underwhelm on week one, regardless of how good they are on paper. Home. Away. Doesn't matter. Even when they win, they never cover... Cincinnati last year was a typical example.

If we can rush the passer at a below (not a typo) average rate, I think we will have a great year. If we are 30th to 32th (which I'm afraid we may be), I think it is going to be a disappointing season (which for me means a wildcard first round exit).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Somos doces":12ba424a said:
Sports Hernia":12ba424a said:
harryjohnson":12ba424a said:
And he's picking Atlanta. He says Ryan will own the Hawks. Put THAT on the billboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_PCh3BMKA
Can’t believe anyone still listens to that clown.
He seems to really like being the contrarian.
For what it’s worth, Cowherd is one of Russell Wilson’s biggest fans.
But he’s negative and a contrarian about everything else.
He’s still a clown IMHO. Not a fan of “the hot take” shows.

keasley45

Reaction score
Cowherd is a homer. He's giving the hawks billboard material while simply stating what from the outside is common knowledge, and on the surface, accurate. Its smart on his part because if he is right, he can say I told you so and looks like a genius. But he knows the seahawks will be competitive anyway because they have Wilson who he adores... so he can heap praise on him like he has for years. If he is wrong, then he gets to hype up the brilliance of his home team's front office that consistently, under the radar, finds diamonds in the rough and when everyone else goes left, stubbornly swings right - and in doing so, routinely builds perennial contenders. He's creating his talking points for Monday and the rest of the season. He's just smart... 'he just is...' in my best cowherd voice.

Rat

Reaction score
I hope he’s wrong, but I don’t fault anyone who holds that opinion right now. We’re gambling big time in the trenches.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This QB has won a Super Bowl with the #32 DVOA ranked offensive line in the league in adjusted sack rate, so while it isn't ideal, it's hard for me to get worked up.

The DL is collegiate level.

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
The O line during the RW era has never been great but Wilson doesn't require "great" - just reasonable.

Unfortunately he hasn't always been given a reasonable line and I worry the accumulated hits/sacks/scrambles might take their toll regarding longer term durability.

Give him a great line and he would have dominated this league that last few seasons and likely had at least one more SB win.

As far as the D-line, it's a bit hit n miss. Lots of room for improvement, but the D overall has been hit and miss the last few seasons as well.

We were a team with a lot of aging parts that were filled in with newbie parts most of which didn't really work out.

The one mainstay has been Wilson.

Without him we are a .500 at best team.

Give him just a few more positive tools and he can lead us to the Promised Land yet again.

Not sure that'll happen under Pete though.

toffee

Reaction score
Mick063":1rbv76eg said:
Addition by Subtraction. The offensive line is better without Ifedi. You see....the problem wasn't about letting Russ cook. The problem was about Russ being repeatedly forced to overcome Ifedi's unforced errors (pre snap penalties). Persistent "First and fifteen" is why Seattle's offense (and Russ) habitually started so slow.

The Hawks actually spent the money that was set aside for resigning Clowney alternatively on offensive lineman. Indeed, once they decided to move on from Clowney's 20 mil price tag, they invested up front. No one can make an honest assessment about the wisdom of this until we see the offensive line in action. Including Cow Herd.

As far as the defensive line goes, Clowney was a monster.....when he didn't have a hernia. In other words, he had significant impact for about 3 games. Meanwhile, Mayowa and Irvin combined for 15 sacks last year. The Seahawks had a total of 28. Clowney had 3 of them. That was Wagner, Wright, the defensive tackles, the infrequent blitzing safeties, the defensive end rotations, the passing down packages.....everything combined. The whole team........and Irvin/Mayowa combined for more than half that many sacks last season.

I almost wish they would have kept Jacob Martin instead of dealing him for Clowney's one year rental. Martin put Mahomes on the ground early Thursday night. Not an easy thing to do. Just ask the vaunted 49er pass rushers. You know what? It wouldn't surprise me at all if Jacob Martin is on a future Seahawk roster. Pete has a thing for bringing guys back after they develop a little bit (ie. Michael Bennett and now Mayowa/Irvin) and just like Michael Bennett's prosperous return, I expect similar results from Irvin/Mayowa.

The pundits, as usual, don't have any idea until they see the team in action.
If our DL serious under perform for a few games , Pete might, just might bring Bennett back .... Hope we won't got to that situation

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

DJrmb

Reaction score
Colin Cowherd is a piece of garbage. He's so worried about "making it" and appeasing his east coast bosses that he's purposely decided to be contrarian to anything Seattle or pnw. He specifically chooses topics about Seattle or the pnw to be against to try to sell his brand. He's a complete loser.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I think Pocic/Lewis/Shell will be upgrades.

DL has better depth at Ends, less at DT, but Collier and Green will go inside on passing downs. we'll see if that strategy pays off