Enthusiasm

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Where is the enthusiasm around here?

We had an early east-coast conference game against a team picked for the playoffs, and came away with a dominant win in which our QB surpassed 30,000 passing yards and 4,000 rushing yards.

We know our division is going to be tough sailing, so every game outside of it is crucial for playoff seeding.

And yes we gave up some garbage-time points while the clock was winding down, but we could because we were up big.

Our offense fired, our defense fired, our special teams make a key play. We looked good. We started well. We came away healthy.

How about some celebrating?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Because game 1 never indicates how a season will go. I’m just stoked we won a road opener. But I’m not counting on the offense putting 38 points on everyone. Teams will adjust.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I was delighted with that team effort - One of the least stressful games I can remember!

Sure there are questions, but: Opening game, away from home, 38 points, 2 sacks and a takeaway?

Cheers everybody!

FPD

Reaction score
I'm flippin' excited! :0190l: :179422: :229031_cheers: :229031_thewave: :fam:

ivotuk

Reaction score
FPD":3eobt6bk said:
I'm flippin' excited! :0190l: :179422: :229031_cheers: :229031_thewave: :fam:

FPD! Always good to see you man! :irishdrinkers:

I'm pretty stoked. And as said above, I didn't get overly stressed like I usually do, but thoroughly enjoyed the game. Kind of like Pete. No super lows on bad plays, but SUPER highs on good plays. I had fun.

And the nice thing about that approach, I"m not worn out after the game. I'm going to do my best to keep my emotions in check. Will probably fail though.

D

DomeHawk

KiwiHawk":2q41ss88 said:

We had an early east-coast conference game against a team picked for the playoffs, and came away with a dominant win in which our QB surpassed 30,000 passing yards and 4,000 rushing yards.

We know our division is going to be tough sailing, so every game outside of it is crucial for playoff seeding.

And yes we gave up some garbage-time points while the clock was winding down, but we could because we were up big.

Our offense fired, our defense fired, our special teams make a key play. We looked good. We started well. We came away healthy.

How about some celebrating?

Both lines had me concerned and they still do.

But we got away from that win it in the 4th qtr BS and that has been my bitch around here for awhile.

Call me satisfied for the 1st gameday and cautiously optimistic for the future.

PS, Adams is a beast.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I don't know how many people are in the same boat as me, but it's not the same. Everything has been weird and screwed up for six months now. It's still kind of fun to watch but with no fans and the possibility the season will get really screwed up later on, it's just off.

I also don't like what I'm seeing with the defense overall with this game. Adams is a beast and there is certainly a lot of good things going on, but this team yet again gave up nearly 25+ points average like they did consistently last season . It's easy to get spun up about the big passing game output today or the two TDs scored in the first quarter (which hasn't happened since season before last), but this team gave up less than 20 points twice last year.

FPD

Reaction score
ivotuk":1nyrpj0c said:
FPD! Always good to see you man! :irishdrinkers:
Always good to be here my friend! Woot Woot!

Go Hawks!

HawkerD

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1i8lthd5 said:
Because game 1 never indicates how a season will go. I’m just stoked we won a road opener. But I’m not counting on the offense putting 38 points on everyone. Teams will adjust.

38 points is a lot but this is a VERY balanced Offense that can hurt you a variety of ways. Run, short and Deep passes. Russ looks completely in command. The Oline may be just good enough.

OP
OP
KiwiHawk

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":df2o3beh said:
I don't know how many people are in the same boat as me, but it's not the same. Everything has been weird and screwed up for six months now. It's still kind of fun to watch but with no fans and the possibility the season will get really screwed up later on, it's just off.

I also don't like what I'm seeing with the defense overall with this game. Adams is a beast and there is certainly a lot of good things going on, but this team yet again gave up nearly 25+ points average like they did consistently last season . It's easy to get spun up about the big passing game output today or the two TDs scored in the first quarter (which hasn't happened since season before last), but this team gave up less than 20 points twice last year.
The present looks bad and the future has the potential to be downright catastrophic, but today, in this moment, something went right. And that much is worth celebrating.

And then the 49ers lost, and that is also worth celebrating.

I know things are tough, but you have to take the small victories when you get them, and today was a good day.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Dude! I said it before the season started - Russ is the NFL MVP, Jamal Adams is the Superbowl MVP! After we go at least 13-3 or 14-2 and win out in the playoffs. This team is going to be a juggernaut, and God help the opponent each week (because they'll need it). Legion of Boom has turned into the Legion of Zoom with all the speed added after last year's slow-assed defense. Adams is ETIII with a little extra, which is exactly what we needed for the last 2 or 3 years. Solari is erasing the stain which was rhymes-with-unable. That bootleg TD today was the exact play that would have won the Superbowl if only the OC at the time wasn't a damn idiot. We got it going this year! WooHoo!

xray

Reaction score
Any win is a good thing . Next week might be more fun . :D

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic.

The Good:

Jamal Adams is the real deal.
Our secondary, as a whole, looks stronger.
The offense should be Top-10 easy.

The Bad:

The Pass Rush is still anemic. There were lot of times in the fourth quarter where we generated zero pressure with four guys, and Matt Ryan took advantage despite being barely more mobile then a statue. That's worriesome, as pressure up the middle is the one thing I hoped we could generate with stunts and creative play calling. It just didn't happen.

The Ugly:

I could point out the run defense didn't shine on that first series, but it would be ticky-tack considering they finished pretty strong. Honestly, beside the gobs of yardage given up in garbage time by the secondary, there really wasn't much to dislike.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":h7vbwokc said:
bmorepunk":h7vbwokc said:

The present looks bad and the future has the potential to be downright catastrophic, but today, in this moment, something went right. And that much is worth celebrating.

I know things are tough, but you have to take the small victories when you get them, and today was a good day.

Present bad and the future catastrophic???

What are you referring to? Hawks looked great today

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":rz26ionk said:
KiwiHawk":rz26ionk said:
bmorepunk":rz26ionk said:

Present bad and the future catastrophic???

What are you referring to? Hawks looked great today

For some people the glass is half-empty. For some people the glass is half-full.. For some people the glass is HOLY SHIT EVERYTHING ISN'T LINING UP WITH ALL FACETS OF THE GAME SHOWING THAT WE HAVE NO WEAKNESSES AND THEREFORE WE WILL DIE IN AN INGLORIOUS SEWAGE FIELD OF SHAME!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1wdkfgn9 said:
1. COVID
2. Politics

Many people I know are just tired of it all and football just is way down on their list of important things right now. But the bandwagonners will be here once we are firmly leading the NFC.