To all of the "Pete Ball" defenders

Fade

Reaction score
Do you guys put on your clown shoes before you go to, or after you come home from work? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOOLOLLOO LOLOOLO.

The ones who fall in that camp, must condemn this current approach as it is completely antithetical to what they have been arguing season after season, FOR YEARS.

As they told us running into loaded boxes repeatedly was required for Wilson to be effective. Punting in enemy territory was smart football, and throwing on early downs was bad.

No matter how much evidence we presented to the contrary. Clowns decided to die on that hill.

Where is the conviction!? The "Let Russ Cook" proponents never wavered, the "Pete Ball" crowd seemed to have rolled over without a fight… Pathetic. LOL

Pete was wrong the whole time. Only when Wilson pretty much said it without saying it, that he was going to leave if things didn't change. THEN Pete folded like a lawn chair. LOL.

"Pete Ball" is garbo. I am glad to see it is dead. It cost the team many wins over the years, higher playoff seedings, and what could have been deep playoff runs.

The Seahawks may very well win the Superbowl this year if they keep up this aggressive, varied attack they displayed on Sunday. But more importantly it is about throwing your best punch and letting the chips fall where they may. Instead of holding back and wondering if they could've won the game had Wilson been more featured.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Clown shoes aren't simply something you can just take off willy nilly before or after work. They're not just footwear. They're a lifestyle, man. We eat, sleep, and snort all the hard drugs with these things on.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":1us4slw8 said:
Do you guys put on your clown shoes before you go to, or after you come home from work? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOOLOLLOO LOLOOLO.

The ones who fall in that camp, must condemn this current approach as it is completely antithetical to what they have been arguing season after season, FOR YEARS.

As they told us running into loaded boxes repeatedly was required for Wilson to be effective. Punting in enemy territory was smart football, and throwing on early downs was bad.

No matter how much evidence we presented to the contrary. Clowns decided to die on that hill.

Where is the conviction!? The "Let Russ Cook" proponents never wavered, the "Pete Ball" crowd seemed to have rolled over without a fight… Pathetic. LOL

Pete was wrong the whole time. Only when Wilson pretty much said it without saying it, that he was going to leave if things didn't change. THEN Pete folded like a lawn chair. LOL.

"Pete Ball" is garbo. I am glad to see it is dead. It cost the team many wins over the years, higher playoff seedings, and what could have been deep playoff runs.

The Seahawks may very well win the Superbowl this year if they keep up this aggressive, varied attack they displayed on Sunday. But more importantly it is about throwing your best punch and letting the chips fall where they may. Instead of holding back and wondering if they could've won the game had Wilson been more featured.

One game against our former DC that knows Pete's tendencies, enjoy it, that will not be the norm, we will rush more then 20 times a game going forward 80 percent of the time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Both mantras are over simplified, Pete Ball, Let Russ Cook.

What we saw Sunday is not Pete just finally unleashing Russell, it was Pete giving Russell and Schotty more freedom within the confines of the scheme, playcalling and letting Russ make timely and key in game decisions (going for it on 4th and 5).

Saw some of that last year (Cleveland game), and that progression is continuing more this year.

Btw, only two QB's had more TD passes in their first eight seasons than Russell, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning. So this false narrative that Russell hasn't been allowed to throw the ball more is fictional. Yep, Pete likes (and still does) balance with a punishing run game.

If you or anyone think that's going to change, you're sorely mistaken. Pete still wants to run the ball, he's just allowing Russell and Schotty more rope on finding creative ways to do it.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hzj6iul said:

But how else should one swipe at those they disagree with, all while not addressing them specifically?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2xp70bt0 said:
Sgt. Largent":2xp70bt0 said:

But how else should one swipe at those they disagree with, all while not addressing them specifically?

Apparently by coming onto a fan site and talking crazy amounts of shit to your own fans?

HAHAHA WE WON WITH OUR GREAT QB PLAYING GREAT............SUCK IT FELLOW SEAHAWK FANS YEAH!!

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1w3k7lbt said:
Sgt. Largent":1w3k7lbt said:

A dissertation breaking down the various points of views each with their own spectrum and standard deviation to mathematically define how fully or not not one fits with their loyalty to "Pete Ball" or their willingness to attempt letting "Russ Cook."

In other words, you swipe with words and numbers. Lots of words and numbers. Across many pages. And with charts.

Mick063

Reaction score
You know what made Peyton Manning such a great Quarterback?

His mental processing on the fly. His pre-snap reads and adjustments. Because football isn't static. It is dynamic. It constantly changers. It constantly evolves.

Yet....the fundamentals never go away. Football is blocking and tackling. Period. On average, (House odds) If you can block and tackle significantly better than your opponent, you dominate. You dominate the turnover battle, you dominate the statistics, you dominate the scoreboard.

Two parts here. Blocking and tackling is executed on the field by the players. Staying ahead of the evolutionary curve is typically done on the sidelines and in the coaches box. Then there are players that can master the intellectual aspects while on the field. Like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Russell Wilson.

There is finally a time that a dad takes the training wheels off his little girl's bike. Some cautious fathers wait a little longer, yet the final result is the same. Training wheels are no longer being used. This is the part where you assume I am talking about Russell Wilson. I am not. I'm talking about Pete's football philosophy. This isn't about Pete's confidence in Wilson. This is about Pete's confidence in himself. It takes a man comfortable in his own skin to realize he must change and evolve and then actually implement it.

The end result of the Pete/Russ symbiotic relationship is the Peyton Manning effect. A QB that can adeptly process rapidly changing events on the field. A man that can identify weakness, strength, tendencies, and mismatches at an almost instantaneous level. It didn't happen over night and it isn't the first time it has ever happened or will ever happen again.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":170h3du3 said:

What we saw Sunday is not Pete just finally unleashing Russell, it was Pete giving Russell and Schotty more freedom within the confines of the scheme, playcalling and letting Russ make timely and key in game decisions (going for it on 4th and 5).

Saw some of that last year (Cleveland game), and that progression is continuing more this year.

Btw, only two QB's had more TD passes in their first eight seasons than Russell, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning. So this false narrative that Russell hasn't been allowed to throw the ball more is fictional. Yep, Pete likes (and still does) balance with a punishing run game.

If you or anyone think that's going to change, you're sorely mistaken. Pete still wants to run the ball, he's just allowing Russell and Schotty more rope on finding creative ways to do it.
Kind of agree.
Running the ball is good. Being less predictable about when you do is better.
It doesn’t mean run the ball less, it’s about being smarter about it when you do.

ATL was stacking the box. Quinn thought the only chance he had was to stack the box to stop the run. Pete was ready for it and adjusted quickly. The only chance ATL had at winning that game was a shootout.

I don’t know how most feel but I view most passes to RB’s as extended run plays.
We had a lot of those in that game.

rcaido

Reaction score
This is also the best receiving core we have had in a long time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1rx24a8h said:
I don’t know how most feel but I view most passes to RB’s as extended run plays.
We had a lot of those in that game.

Yep, if I would have told you that Carson only had six rushing attempts, you would have thought we were either playing from way behind the whole game, or he got hurt halfway through the first quarter.

That's really what I saw Sunday, a WAY more dynamic style of playcalling. More misdirection screens, rollouts, RB flat passes, etc.

Thus my opinion on this subject, I see Russell being given the freedom to check plays, move people around and attack more.

I remember saying this last year after the Cleveland game where Russell's mic wasn't working for an entire drive, and he ran the offense straight down the field for a TD. My hope is that sparked something in Pete and Schotty that Russell was ready to run the show when needed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did they win? Just checking. Hard to tell sometimes when wins are downplayed so often.
Who gives a rats a what they call it? Pete Ball, Cooking, blah blah blah......I call it winning, and they do it a LOT. Shoot, it was creative play calling and it was nice to see. Not the same thing over and over again.
However, even when they are "boring" or "vanilla" etc. they win. Couldn't care less how they get a W, but I loved the play calling on Sunday. And they played aggressive WITH a lead, and that was also nice to see.
It was 38-18 with 3:45 left in the game, that's a flat out blowout in my mind. It felt like 4 quarters of football, and there's nothing wrong with digging that, a LOT :irishdrinkers:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think a lot went into the Atlanta game plan. Part of it was Quinn knowing Pete would run the ball so they mixed that up. Part of it was the WR corps are freaky good. Part of it was let Russ cook and by that, cook early. Part of it might have been the best way to attack the Atlanta defense. Another part I’m wondering about but don’t really know was the offensive line. Other than Brown and Iupati, the line was all new. Maybe this line is just fundamentally better at pass blocking than run blocking. Maybe that’s by design. Maybe they discovered this in training camp.

Week 2 should give us another glimpse into this years overall philosophy. Anyone know what NEs defensive weaknesses are? If it’s stopping the run we could see a return to “Peteball”. If that happens, some around here will have their heads explode.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
It's not hugely unusual for Wilson to throw 35 times. What IS unusual is for him to hit on 89% of those throws. That keeps the offense on the field and provides more downs, and more throwing opportunities.

With Atlanta stacking the box and Carson coming off an injury, I don't find it incredibly odd that they chose to get him the ball via the air instead of handing off to him, and that he split touches with Hyde.

When you have a running back coming off injury and a backup running back who could start for most teams, and a QB having a career day, what we did just seems the logical thing to do.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, and I know people really want this to fit a narrative, but I'm going to play wait-and see with regard to Carroll completely changing his philosophy.

Over the past two seasons (and including yesterday, so 33 games), Wilson's average for bad throws is 16.7%. Yesterday it was only 5.7%. Half the time when Wilson is that hot, he throws 34 or more passes - probably in part because he's converting 3rd downs and creating more opportunities.

However, while Wilson was hyper-accurate, his intended air yards per pass attempt was the 4th-lowest of those 33 games at 6.1 - a full 3 yards shorter than his average over those 33 games. This isn't turning Wilson loose so much as increasing the participation of the running back and making shorter throws. Hell, we even saw a screen pass.

So sorry to burst any bubbles, but for these hoofbeats, I am still calling horses instead of zebras.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That screen pass and 3 blockers waiting.....a thing of beauty. Circle and underline that play Schotty…….

John63

Reaction score
Fade":1pdf7f5q said:

I agree with the sentiment, but not sure we needed an I told you so thread. That said. You also might be premature 1 game does not equate to a change. Let's see after 3 or 4.

John63

Reaction score
One HUGE thing SChotty was in the booth not on the sidelines. This is HUGE!!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Or maybe we could enjoy a win just once? Who cares who was right or wrong? They won the game, that's all that matters. And good point on Schotty up in the booth, Pete said he will continue staying up there.
We all clearly see things our own way, and that's cool. Some are very confident, some are negative, some are cautious, some are wait and see etc. We all want the same thing, wins. Even if we drive each other crazy at times.

Anyway, it's just fun to talk about an actual game in 2020, when it was looking pretty iffy at best for a long while.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is frustrating that Pete consistently leaves chips on the table come playoff time.

However, it would be hard to argue that without Pete - we wouldn't even have a seat at the table.

So I am thankful for what an amazing coach he has been, just always felt Wilson was one of the worst possible fits for him because he will rarely use Wilson to his potential.

The question is why?

Running the ball is easier. Your OL prefers it. The talent is easier to acquire.

It limits touches by the opposing offense and rests the defense.

Given the push to enable QBs, teams have responded by making defensive players faster and lighter. Able to play more in space, but that makes them very vulnerable to the run game.

On the surface it all makes sense. It helps you compete against better teams than you.

But if you are the better team? It holds you back and increases your chances of losing if something goes wrong.

When you have the 2nd coming of Steve Young? You should use him. He literally can win playoff games for you nearly single-handedly. At that point, you find a way to make a passing game work because the player passing is one of the best in history at it....and QB has advantages over every other position.

It makes no sense.

The only thing I can come up with is that Carroll learned to do it that way, believes his way is right, and does not see the reason for change. Nevermind that with one of the best QBs in the league, we have underachieved in the playoffs since 2015.

Honestly I'm baffled. We should/could have done better with the QB we have had.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
"Pete Ball",,,,"Let Russ Cook",,,,,whatever. I'm just enjoying a win that I honestly did not think we would have.

Now going forward, I believe the scheme we ran against Atlanta is the one that is needed to progress throughout the season, but do I feel Pete will hold onto that,,,,,,Lord no. We've just seen it to many times before to doubt this will continue, but if it does, i'll gladly be the first one to eat crow.