Why did New England run on that last play?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If they would have thrown a slant, they would have scored a touchdown.

sutz

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: Maybe they learned the lesson of Super Bowl 49. :sarcasm_off:

:242735:

LTH

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2m2cpn7v said:

Because They are almost unstoppable running that play... I bet 90 % of the time they score on that play it was just a really fine play by Collier and Hill..

LTH

Optimus25

Reaction score
I was thinking about it, and i think from the one yard line, if i could have anybody, anywhere, all talent in the league at my disposal, i would choose cam Newton and a go find pay dirt run just like that. We are so fortunate to be 2-0. I would think we could run it back ten times and only stop him once.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1siobzwr said:
They ran it because we didn’t stop it all game and Cam’s ego. He wanted to be the hero and do his stupid Superman crap.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yup. What Hernia said. We hadn't stopped that play all game.

And it was BOBBY FREAKIN' WAGNER who made the play that truly mattered. Check out this Twitter post.

Yes, Llano Hill did great stuff. Yes, LJ Collier put himself in good position. All 3 guys were key. But the difference-maker: Bobby Wagner. Bobby Wagner showed why he will be a first-ballot HOFer.
Wagner, from the backside, took the pulling guard and pushed him into Cam's plant leg just as Cam was going to leap over the pile on his way to the end zone. Instead of leaping, Cam somersaults short of the goal line and the game is over.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1308012888574095364[/tweet]

That Twitter post has some good discussion under it. Some tidbits: Patriots ran this same play earlier in the game. Pete Carroll anticipated it, and gave instructions to Bobby during the timeout, for the D-line to slant a certain way, and for Bobby to pursue from the backside. This time, Carroll guessed right, the players executed, and Carroll outcoached Josh McDaniels on this one!

Cam was dutifully trying to take the play to the designed hole, but it was clogged up. If he sees that a split second earlier and bounces it outside, he walks in, as Cam noted in post-game interview.

Also, credit Jamal Adams for 6 points in this win. Stuffed a 2-point conversion +2 points, and on 3rd and goal, Adams ran down Cam from the backside to stop what looked like it would go for a TD and keep NE to a field goal, 3 instead of 7, so net +4 points on that play. Jamal Adams key plays +2, +4, net +6 points from this guy in a 5-point win. Looks like 2 draft choices well-spent.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1yfit34m said:
fenderbender123":1yfit34m said:
They ran it because we didn’t stop it all game and Cam’s ego. He wanted to be the hero and do his stupid Superman crap.

Cam doing that stupid celebration earlier when he was down short of the goal line...what a dbag.

themunn

Reaction score
I read earlier that in 19 career runs from the 1 yard line, Newton has never lost yardage

Until now