Interesting Stats

ivotuk

Reaction score
Per Michael Shawn-Dugar at the Athletic, in 2019 the Patriots only gave up 4 receiving touchdowns. That's the whole year.

Per Danny & Gallant, this is only the 2nd time a team has thrown for 5 touchdowns against Bill in the last 20 years. :2thumbs:

D

DomeHawk

ivotuk":333emkzb said:
Per Michael Shawn-Dugar at the Athletic, in 2019 the Patriots only gave up 4 receiving touchdowns. That's the whole year.

Per Danny & Gallant, this is only the 2nd time a team has thrown for 5 touchdowns against Bill in the last 20 years. :2thumbs:

I think many of us have been frustrated that Russ didn't just come up with this but has been capable of doing it for a long time.

This wasn't at the expense of the running game either, it was a balanced attack yesterday.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is really frustrating to think of what Wilson could have achieved if Carroll had just allowed him to.

The good news is that we didn't have to fire Schotty. He was been fantastic since he dropped that stupid MartyBall reincarnation he has been forcing on Wilson for years. It turns out the Schotty can be great if he just allows Wilson to be the focus instead of the run game.

So the great news is Wilson can do for 4 quarters what he normally just did for 1. The frustration is that we could have achieved so much more if we bothered to do this sooner.

sutz

Reaction score
Too be fair, I believe that stat is that NE gave up 4TDs to wide receivers. They gave up others to RBs and what not.

Still nice to see us burn them with TDs to 4 different WRs. :)

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
sutz":umxmgnq7 said:
Too be fair, I believe that stat is that NE gave up 4TDs to wide receivers. They gave up others to RBs and what not.

Still nice to see us burn them with TDs to 4 different WRs. :)

I believe your are correct. I did not word that very well, as that is exactly what they said.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Here's a fun stat: The NFL's all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns, Drew Brees, has finished second in MVP voting four times (2006, 2009, 2011, 2018), but he's never won.

Why is that relevant? Because Russell Wilson is putting up Brees-type numbers through the first two weeks of the season. Typically, that's a good thing, but apparently not when it comes to winning the league's Most Valuable Player award.

Per Elias, Wilson is just the second quarterback ever with 9 passing touchdowns and an 80-plus completion percentage in a two-game span. The only other? Brees, in Weeks 14-15 of the 2019 campaign.

Quarterbacks with 5 passing TDs versus Bill Belichick's Patriots? Wilson on Sunday and, you guessed it, Brees (2009).

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-overreacti ... to-win-mvp

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
No NFL game had ever featured head coaches as collectively old as Carroll, who turned 69 last Tuesday, and the 68-year-old Belichick.

On this night, like Jerry Garcia's outlaw in the Grateful Dead classic "Jack Straw," it was Carroll who had to settle one old score -- one small point of pride

Seahawks second-year counterpart D.K. Metcalf (four catches for 92 yards -- including a 54-yard score on which he beasted New England cornerback Stephon Gilmore, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year), and this was as satisfying as a Week 2 regular-season game amid a global pandemic can possibly be.

In March, when I revealed to Carroll that he and Belichick were the two coaches chosen on the All-Decade Team (for the just completed 2010s), he asked jokingly, "Is he the defensive coordinator, and I'm the head coach?"

The first meeting between Carroll and Belichick, in October of 2012, ended up spawning the notorious "U Mad Bro?" meme of cornerback Richard Sherman jawing at the vanquished Tom Brady.

However, the Seahawks' 24-23 victory also served as the coming-out party for Wilson, then a rookie, whose late 46-yard touchdown strike to Sidney Rice propelled the Seahawks to victory.

https://www.nfl.com/news/silver-seahawk ... ick-newton.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
And there's the ST00PID Stats!

Leading passers as listed on NFLN were ranked by Yards, not TDs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the game won and lost based on points scored?

It's not who gets the most yards is it?

sutz

Reaction score
ivotuk":6idrbra6 said:
And there's the ST00PID Stats!

Leading passers as listed on NFLN were ranked by Yards, not TDs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the game won and lost based on points scored?

It's not who gets the most yards is it?
That has always been a problem with the 'official' stats.

Nunya

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that some people still think that a QB that has been in the top 3 for TD's in the last 3 seasons and has passed for over 3,000 yards every season of his career with 4 of those seasons being over 4,000 yards is somehow being "held back".