Historically, how bad is this defense?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Anyone know how this defense stacks up to worst in history?

35+ pts and over 400 yds a game passing has to be historic, yes?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I've never seen this. Not sure If any d has ever been this bad. Historic is dead on.

mistaowen

Reaction score
They’re almost at 1,500 yards given up through 3 weeks. And a lot of it is on big plays, which is Pete’s biggest no-no. I know there have been injuries but players are wide open all over the field. At the end of the day, you need to evaluate the coaching staff of the 32nd ranked defense.

CPHawk

Reaction score
We are now 3-0. SD, NYJ, Cincinnati and DC are all going to be selling very soon. Keep winning ugly, get to the bye 5-0, and make some moves..

SlickRick

Reaction score
Has not been my favorite lately, 400+ yards to like every opposing Qb, but The mantra kicks in... Like clock work, game winding down seattle makes that play to hold on & Win ... Crazy

mistaowen

Reaction score
Rat":3b9egyuf said:
https://twitter.com/AJDraftScout/status/1310373791621623810?s=20

2011 Green Bay Packers had the most passing yards allowed ever in a single season at 4,796 passing yards (299.75 passing yards per game)

Seattle is currently at 430.7 passing yards allowed per game.

Nice so we should slaughter this record!

tersal

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1wb03sqc said:

They have yet to surrender 35 points in any game this season. Still just hree games weaker offenses coming up see my views below:

One half of the secondary is still new as they jell hopefully they will cover better and help the pass rush. Also Irvin and Mayowa were the off season pass rush help Irvin is gone have to hope Green, Taylor and Robinson help Mayowa out.
Green is in his third year time to produce when he returns. Taylor missed camp not expecting much from him upon his return we will see. As the topic of this thread suggest Robinson has the look. The secondary is giving up to many big plays as that was the focus of the off season investment along with low cost offensive line help. Secondary must improve. Oh yes finding the ball is important Flowers has yet to get the memo.

Sac

Reaction score
Opposing teams are being forced to pass in order to keep up, on top of that we've played two league MVP quarterbacks so far, and an MVP hopeful.

I think people shitting on the D aren't taking those things into account.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1jm28rd2 said:
mistaowen":1jm28rd2 said:
Nice so we should slaughter this record!

Go Hawks!

Wait...

But aren't Pete's teams undefeated when the opposing QB throws for 400+? 19-0, then?

JGreen79

Reaction score
tersal":2sobb4os said:
TwistedHusky":2sobb4os said:

They have yet to surrender 35 points in any game this season. Still just hree games weaker offenses coming up see my views below:

This, and before this game they haven't even allowed more than 25.

The defense is pretty bad though. They have to stop giving up explosive plays. In every drive that has allowed points there have been 15+ yard plays. Most of the time multiple, and usually 20+ yard plays.

Rat

Reaction score
Sac":3a4hbtxj said:
Opposing teams are being forced to pass in order to keep up, on top of that we've played two league MVP quarterbacks so far, and an MVP hopeful.

I think people $h!t on the D aren't taking those things into account.

If that were true, wouldn't most of the all-time best passing seasons be accompanied by historically awful defensive seasons?

They havn't exactly been garbage time stuff the past two weeks. I'm not expecting complete lock down, but getting those passing numbers has been way too easy for opposing offenses. Hopefully itll tighten up soon.

Sac

Reaction score
Rat":37hy8tbu said:
Sac":37hy8tbu said:

If that were true, wouldn't most of the all-time best passing seasons be accompanied by historically awful defensive seasons?

They havn't exactly been garbage time stuff the past two weeks. I'm not expecting complete lock down, but getting those passing numbers has been way too easy for opposing offenses. Hopefully itll tighten up soon.

I guess we'll see when we play JAX next weekend

Rat

Reaction score
Sac":22q7hc05 said:
Rat":22q7hc05 said:
Sac":22q7hc05 said:

I guess we'll see when we play JAX next weekend

Nah, next week is Fitzmagic. Should be looking ahead to the following week.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I can’t tell you why, but as bad as this years defense is, it seems better than last years. Not in yards but maybe in tenacity. I can’t put my finger on it, but I like this defense better. Hated the defense last year. Maybe the offense is making up for the defensive flaws and it’s skewing my perception.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
For all the handwringing about the teams defense, its pretty hard to find a good one in the NFL right now.

Good offenses are dominating the early weeks.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3hje693y said:
I can’t tell you why, but as bad as this years defense is, it seems better than last years. Not in yards but maybe in tenacity. I can’t put my finger on it, but I like this defense better. Hated the defense last year. Maybe the offense is making up for the defensive flaws and it’s skewing my perception.

You'll hate them more next weeK when Fitzpatrick puts up 400+. Hopefully he couples it with a few picks though. Amazingly, the Hawks have seemed to have a harder time with back up level QBs than the great ones.

CPHawk

Reaction score
And of course, just signed this week. Dion Jordan has a sack and plays well for the 9ers.