If the defense gets fixed but offense is still clicking...

ZagHawk

Reaction score
So Pete has admitted that he loves close games many times. If the Seahawks somehow manage to fix the defense to at least an average level, BUT the offense is still clicking and finding themselves at a 2+ score lead in games. Does Pete let off the gas on offense leaving a chance for the opposing team to come back or do you see him "keeping his foot on their throats"?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let’s see, there is a major elephant that needs to be taken from the room (improved pass D) before your question can be answered.

My sense is Pete would run the ball and chew up clock with a lead, but has seen the benefit of letting RW loose early..

He doesn’t like running up the score and wants to play a physical game to punish the other team. Better to be the hammer than the nail.

We saw them bottle up Elliott last week and force Dallas to be one dimensional, yet couldn’t get to Dak to force errant throws, when they pressured he was less efffective. 430 passing yards is a lot to give up Without a doubt.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
There is no one right strategy when you get ahead. If you "keep your foot on the gas" and you end up being like the Falcons in the Super Bowl you're going to regret it. You also can't just run the ball too much. You still have to try to figure out what's working, but you don't want to induce a ton of extra risk being dogmatic.

Nunya

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2a8o2afj said:
So Pete has admitted that he loves close games many times. If the Seahawks somehow manage to fix the defense to at least an average level, BUT the offense is still clicking and finding themselves at a 2+ score lead in games. Does Pete let off the gas on offense leaving a chance for the opposing team to come back or do you see him "keeping his foot on their throats"?

The comment Carroll made about close games was made ONCE during an interview in December of 2019....and it is often taken out of context. Here is what he actually said:

“I love close games. I think they help you,” he said. “They make you stronger. They keep you in the game longer. They make you have to focus farther, and it prepares you for more kinds of things that can happen that you need background and experience in.”

“It would really be OK if we could win by a lot sometimes. That’d be fun,” he said. “This is this season. These seasons write a story and that’s kind of the story of what’s been going on all year long. We’re certainly not trying to let them back into it. That’s not the idea.”

So, no, I do not see him "let off the gas". I suspect he would like to score on every series....including defensive series.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Nunya":15jm8heu said:
ZagHawk":15jm8heu said:

The comment Carroll made about close games was made ONCE during an interview in December of 2019....and it is often taken out of context. Here is what he actually said:

“I love close games. I think they help you,” he said. “They make you stronger. They keep you in the game longer. They make you have to focus farther, and it prepares you for more kinds of things that can happen that you need background and experience in.”

“It would really be OK if we could win by a lot sometimes. That’d be fun,” he said. “This is this season. These seasons write a story and that’s kind of the story of what’s been going on all year long. We’re certainly not trying to let them back into it. That’s not the idea.”

So, no, I do not see him "let off the gas". I suspect he would like to score on every series....including defensive series.

So what you are saying is that he doesn't intentionally play the games close?!

pmedic920

Reaction score
When you have a big lead you don’t let up, you use that opportunity to try things that you have in the archive but haven’t tested.

Least that’s my opinion on the matter.

Coasting to the hope of a win, or “prevent defense” will cost you more than it can possibly be worth, and it’s absolutely frustrating for your fan base.

Keep your foot on the gas, things may come down to a “margin of victory”.

GoHawks.

Nunya

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":37xvjfn1 said:
Nunya":37xvjfn1 said:
ZagHawk":37xvjfn1 said:

So what you are saying is that he doesn't intentionally play the games close?!

Why would he? And he never said that he does as some people want to imply..

John63

Reaction score
My feeling if everything we heard that led to this style of play is true, then reverting could cost him Wilson and the team. So no.

olyfan63

Reaction score
IF THE DEFENSE GETS FIXED BUT OFFENSE IS STILL CLICKING...

That's easy... CHAMPIONSHIP!! It worked out in 2005... well, except for those pesky refs and lack of DB depth.

Schottenheimer is having a lights-out year so far, how much of the credit goes to him? I suspect Pete has committed to being a little more hands-off this year and letting Russell and Schotty call most of the shots.

I think what will happen is that rather than backing off on the offense, we'll see more backups and more experimentation. Up 3 scores? Great, let's get Travis Homer and DJ Dallas some reps, let's work on our screen game, let's get our young O-Linemen some reps, get Freddie Swain some extra targets. But it will be stuff they *expect* to work, and are expecting to be delighted by seeing young guys come through in game situations.

That's my hope and wish, anyway. What they better NOT do: unimaginative series of run, run, pass, punt.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete isn’t looking to blow people out just for the sake of it (contrary to what some people thought when he was at USC); he’s not into trying to make an opposing team look bad. He also isn’t opposed to winning easily if that’s the way things end up. The game goes as it goes.

When he says he likes winning close games, it’s because those are more competitive and challenging to win.

themunn

Reaction score
Who doesn't love close games really, as long as you win?

Superbowl 48 is the exception because it was one long party, but the games you REALLY remember are the ones you had to fight tooth and nail to win. NFCCG vs 49ers, Packers. Shootout win vs Texans, Steelers. Every game against the Patriots (except THAT one). Every game this season really.

They're a lot of fun, especially when you win. When you're 20-30 points up in the 4th quarter it's pretty boring to watch.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
themunn":2obsbrs8 said:
Who doesn't love close games really, as long as you win?

Superbowl 48 is the exception because it was one long party, but the games you REALLY remember are the ones you had to fight tooth and nail to win. NFCCG vs 49ers, Packers. Shootout win vs Texans, Steelers. Every game against the Patriots (except THAT one). Every game this season really.

They're a lot of fun, especially when you win. When you're 20-30 points up in the 4th quarter it's pretty boring to watch.

They also have a way of developing players who are tough under pressure. They learn how to perform under the brightest lights, the biggest audiences, and in the most significant circumstances. The "clutch" gene that RW possesses can be taught to a degree by putting the team in those situations.

I'm not sure, as a fan who's getting older, how much more I can personally take. My heartrate gets to high, and the rest of my day I feel exhausted.

If our Defense beings working together, communicating, and preventing a lot of the longer passes, we'll hold teams to less than 25 pts. With our offense playing the way it is, that's a recipe for many more wins, and first in the division.

LTH

Reaction score
I think anytime the Hawks have the lead in the 4th Carroll will drop back into a deep zone and keep everything in front of them to avoid giving up the big play... I never liked this strategy... Holmgren did the same thing drove me nuts...prevent D sucks IMO...

LTH