Shaquem Griffin

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Admittedly, not Aldon Smith. But he did get some pressure for us when we desperately needed it.

Not only was he stuck on the practice squad, but allegedly turned down teams trying to sign him from the PS (not sure why, there is loyalty but if you can get an NFL paycheck...you take it)

I've been pretty adamant that he could and should be helping us in the pass rush. At least rotating in on pure pass downs.

You could certainly argue that his pressure at the end of the game helped and I did not see many accolades for him on this site. Maybe I missed it.

We need him the rest of the year.

Miami, in that humidity, is going to be a problem. A little worried that playing on grass might affect us a bit anyway, that might be a challenge for guys that rely on speed like Mayowa and Griffin anyway. But I hope we see him more.

No more PS for effective pass rushers.

sutz

Reaction score
Good write up in the Times today: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... k-to-work/

RENTON — Shaquem Griffin’s story of perseverance — overcoming the loss of his left hand when he was 4 years old and ultimately reaching the NFL — is one of the most inspiring and unique in sports history.

The traits that got him through that were on display again — if on a much more routine level, maybe — when Griffin was left somewhat blindsided Sept. 5.

On that day, Griffin found out he was being waived by the Seahawks.

If many observers of the team considered it a possibility, Griffin says he didn’t see it coming.

Once he was waived, any team could have claimed Griffin, and he would have had to go and be away from his brother for the only time other than in 2017, when Shaquill played his rookie year with the Seahawks (Shaquem had a redshirt year as a freshman at Central Florida, while Shaquill did not).

With Bruce Irvin out for the year with a knee injury, the Seahawks took advantage of a new rule this year to elevate Griffin off the practice squad Saturday to fill in depth at linebacker and at rush end.

PNW

Reaction score
He said he stayed because he wants to be with his brother. I’m super happy with what I saw, he had a huge impact in just 17 or so snaps. He looked like a man on a mission, give this guy the green light. He will be a great QB spy on guys like Kyler Murray, how many LB’s in the league have CB like acceleration and speed.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If he keeps performing like last week, keep him.

If his progress becomes more like last year, the year before, then it's his last season.

Similar goes for Quill, his games haven't been stellar of late and if that continues maybe it's time to look for a CB1 in the draft or coach someone up.

Those should really be the only fair considerations here, not yet another "feel-good" story about how the brothers made a pact at age 8 to never be separated.

FinNasty

Reaction score
While I obviously hope we beat you guys today... I’m pulling for my boy Shaquem to tear it up!

D

DomeHawk

FinNasty":1040gbt6 said:
While I obviously hope we beat you guys today... I’m pulling for my boy Shaquem to tear it up!

Well, you're halfway there anyway FinNasty, I'm sure there are a lot of Floridians that love these guys. Such a great story the way that Shaq went to UCF when he could have went to a bigger school and now his brother staying on the practice squad so he could stay with him.

HawkGA

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":25xrt5xc said:
Admittedly, not Aldon Smith. But he did get some pressure for us when we desperately needed it.

Not only was he stuck on the practice squad, but allegedly turned down teams trying to sign him from the PS (not sure why, there is loyalty but if you can get an NFL paycheck...you take it)

I've been pretty adamant that he could and should be helping us in the pass rush. At least rotating in on pure pass downs.

You could certainly argue that his pressure at the end of the game helped and I did not see many accolades for him on this site. Maybe I missed it.

We need him the rest of the year.

Miami, in that humidity, is going to be a problem. A little worried that playing on grass might affect us a bit anyway, that might be a challenge for guys that rely on speed like Mayowa and Griffin anyway. But I hope we see him more.

No more PS for effective pass rushers.

I was calling for this last season and people piled on saying he was too small to be a D E . . . As is there aren't different needs for a pass-rush only DE. Now, has he been spectactular? Not really, but nobody else has either.

Heps got speed, though, and that's what they need. Might should try standing him up and moving him around. Let him bounce into gaps to rush.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":14f7eflt said:

If his progress becomes more like last year, the year before, then it's his last season.

Similar goes for Quill, his games haven't been stellar of late and if that continues maybe it's time to look for a CB1 in the draft or coach someone up.

Those should really be the only fair considerations here, not yet another "feel-good" story about how the brothers made a pact at age 8 to never be separated.

This> What we are dealing with isn't just about keeping Shaquill as our CB 1. It is all about whether we pay him big 2nd contract money. So far over these 3 plus years, in my eyes he is not worth that money. Even the "pro bowl" year last year, he was only an alternate. He had an good year, but not great year. A stretch of 30 games with 0 interceptions. That is not an elite CB. This year he has regressed. Also, signing him to the second contract means pressure to keep the twins together. I hate this narrative.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":p4u9dbpd said:

This> What we are dealing with isn't just about keeping Shaquill as our CB 1. It is all about whether we pay him big 2nd contract money. So far over these 3 plus years, in my eyes he is not worth that money. Even the "pro bowl" year last year, he was only an alternate. He had an good year, but not great year. A stretch of 30 games with 0 interceptions. That is not an elite CB. This year he has regressed. Also, signing him to the second contract means pressure to keep the twins together. I hate this narrative.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
He got cut by Seattle but simultaneously Seattle is his best chance at staying in the NFL even if it is practice team.

Another team won’t hesitate to cut him and that’s that.

Shaquem has a lot more heart than most other players, he’s all motor all the time.

He will provide some plays here and there.

billyberu

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":3q2vjivt said:
SantaClaraHawk":3q2vjivt said:

A narrative that only exists in your mind. He's a #1 CB elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2gipedrq said:
SantaClaraHawk":2gipedrq said:

It's nice to meet one other fan that's talking about this.

Won't lie, both Griffins did a nice job out there today. Separately. And if that continues I have no problem keeping them both, or keeping whichever one if they continue to shine.

What I'm really tired of, as a fan, are the "fan favorite" stories about how Quem insisted on staying on the PS because of brotherly loyalty, again bringing it back to their childhood pact or what happened in college and so forth.

It's just really old at this point.

What happens with siblings in real life is that they eventually separate. Even twins. They need to be seen as separate entities without the other sibling coming into consideration and that includes being named in the press for a worn PR story.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
With Cody Barton continuing to play himself off the roster with terrible tackling, Quem should get more snaps.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Appyhawk":25xqnl98 said:
Me too. I hope Quem has a spectacular day.
Is the humidity in Miami that much different than Seattle? In any case the Griffs shouldn't find it troublesome.

Seattle doesn’t have humidity. You’re thinking of rain.

billyberu

Reaction score
Shaquem just doesn't have the value as a situational pass rusher, and it would be crazy to hold a roster spot for him unless you literally have no one else.

If he's going to stick, it'll be as a linebacker who can also rush the QB. I saw flashes of this last week.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Situational pass rushing is VERY valuable.

Especially when almost nobody else gets pressure.

That said, what 'value' does Cody Barton provide?

How does he get any PT when he is essentially worthless on the field?

Meanwhile a guy that DOES get pressure on the QB gets stuck only playing in the 4th when we need stops?

Wouldn't it be better to rotate Shaq, one of your at least effective pass rushers, in at least in 3rd and longs in the 1st half?

billyberu

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1o8k1euz said:
Situational pass rushing is VERY valuable.

Especially when almost nobody else gets pressure.

That said, what 'value' does Cody Barton provide?

How does he get any PT when he is essentially worthless on the field?

Meanwhile a guy that DOES get pressure on the QB gets stuck only playing in the 4th when we need stops?

Wouldn't it be better to rotate Shaq, one of your at least effective pass rushers, in at least in 3rd and longs in the 1st half?
His value is as a backup lb and special teams guy. He's not a 'tweener like Quil. 225 pound DE's are virtually non-existent and if he's going to be out there all the time they're going to have to scheme differently.
I'm thinking about last week when Quil dropped back into the flat and defended well. If he can do that, he'll jump Cody Barton on the depth chart.