Thoughts during the Super Bowl Win

murdlem

Reaction score
I remember telling my son midway through the 4th quarter of our Super Bowl victory against Denver.
"This is as good as it gets. There will never be a better day as a Seahawk fan."

I remember thinking that we were at the beginning of a streak that might bring several more super bowl wins. But, I couldn't ever see how it could be better. First Super Bowl win, beating Payton Manning and Denver, in a blowout, etc.

My son was a huge Seahawks fan. Always wearing his # 25 jersey. Since then, my son passed away about 2 years later, and even though we made another SB since that day, we didn't win.

I am really surprised at how right I was, but also extremely sad about it.

Looking back, it was one of the best days of my life. I am so glad I got to share it with my son. A day I will never forget.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
murdlem":26074xvz said:
I remember telling my son midway through the 4th quarter of our Super Bowl victory against Denver.
"This is as good as it gets. There will never be a better day as a Seahawk fan."

I remember thinking that we were at the beginning of a streak that might bring several more super bowl wins. But, I couldn't ever see how it could be better. First Super Bowl win, beating Payton Manning and Denver, in a blowout, etc.

My son was a huge Seahawks fan. Always wearing his # 25 jersey. Since then, my son passed away about 2 years later, and even though we made another SB since that day, we didn't win.

Looking back, it was one of the best days of my life. I am so glad I got to share it with my son. A day I will never forget.
My condolences for your loss. I can’t imagine.

Yeah it was the 3rd best day of my life only behind my nephew and niece being born.
It was awesome because I saw how loaded that team was and telling people the spring before the season Hawks were winning the Super Bowl that year, I felt it in my soul and in my bones. I never had such a sports related feeling that strong before or since. Went to my brothers house and watched the game with my folks, my brother, sis-in law, nephew and some family friends. Best part was it was a family experience. My sis-in-law was laughing and calling me and my brother sissy’s (all in fun) for starting to tear up when the clock hit zeros.

The Super Bowl parade was cold and we froze our bits and pieces off but it was well worth it.
I had a perma-grin and was in a permanent good mood for 6 months after. XLVIII is my “happy place” and no one can take that away from me.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
" beating Payton Manning and Denver, in a blowout... I am so glad I got to share it with my son. Since then, my son passed away about 2 years later"

I was delirious just with the Denver part, but I doubt I will ever hear a better reason for that SB being a special occasion to someone.

PS: Just noticed that was your first post. Welcome to the home crew.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For me it was a catharsis. A fan since 76 and after XL and that pure rip off. The win was freaking special.

Right from Peyton’s safety to Harvin’s spectacular 2nd half KO return it was a spectacular affirmation of a season where the D was amazing. Harvin’s return was the cherry, after that it was a sure thing. The Broncos had no chance as the #1 D was in their zone.

Have to confess, got rather tipsy after that. Whoo Hoo!!! Totally Awesome!!!

Murdlem’s story resonates!!!

evergreen

Reaction score
That was one of the best things to ever happen. It was completely surreal after the injustice of XL. We crushed the best offense ever. But at the beginning it was so intense. Here they come, the mighty and powerful, what's that? I just screamed, "The ball's in the end zone. the ball's in the end zone!" Unbelievable! I think that is what heaven would be like...

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I love a good offense as much as anyone, but there was something validating after holding the most productive offense in NFL history to 8 points on the largest stage of football. The turnovers were fantastic, and showed just how much of a ball-hawking D we had that year. The hits on Manning, Welker and Thomas all said they weren't used to being man-handled. Very few of the mediots projected that result.

To Murdlem, I'm glad you were able to share that memory with your son. It cannot be taken from you, even if you had to say goodbye to him. Most who have been on this board for a decade or more feel that way about our late Mod Radish, too. That he got to see the win before passing away is very meaningful for this community.

Sign37now

Reaction score
murdlem":2je924b7 said:

Jesus man. That's awful. So sorry to hear about your son. I can't even imagine losing one of my children.

What a special memory...

HagFaithful

Reaction score
murdlem":3kxoz2ne said:

You made me cry with your first post, man. Welcome!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome and my sincerest condolences for such a loss, I hope to never experience. No parent ever should. Very grateful for your memory with him to witness what may be the single-most greatest moment ever for all Seahawks fans that may span generations to come.

Teahawks

Reaction score
That is a great memory though that I'm glad the two of you had together.

I will never forget during the game, we decided to not watch it at a big SB party like usual, so that we could actually really pay attention. I'll never forget my buddy was outside at halftime having a smoke, and Harvin ran back the kick, and I'm yelling and he's like, "wait they scored again?!".

Afterward, cigars and 60 year old Crown Royal (from Canada), of which I'm still saving a few more sips to celebrate for when the Hawks win another SB, or I have another kid lol.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
It’s still surreal having been a fan since the beginning I was always excited for every season. Losing XL was so wrong I damn near threw in my towel. They were a team of scruples and role models for our kids. Unfortunately it went down as if to confirm just like in life, good guys get screwed. Sadly it is reality these days.

Don’t get me wrong I luv my hawks but disappointed we had to use “dirtier” players to get it done.

seabowl

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. it's a reminder to all of us to cherish every moment. I'm very happy though you got to share the best day in Hawks history with him.

I am a NY'er and through .Net, found another local hawk fan to splurge on tickets The day of the game we bought tickets on Stubhub for $1560 at 10:30am. Been a fan since 84 and just couldn't miss it.

I actually started a thread on this board I believe the Friday before the game with the title 'Hawks will win by at least 14 points ". I just thought we were too good.

At the game we were sitting next to 2 Bronco fans who were season ticket holders but honestly other than the national anthem and opening kickoff, there was really not a moment they felt any joy or hope. I actually felt bad for them. It was loud in there and was in disbelief at the safety. The rest of the game was just a party. The only other playoff Hawk game I attended was the NFCCG vs the Panthers in 2005 and the game and feel throughout was the same since that game too was a blowout. Just a party.

With about 7 minutes left the lower level corporate crowd left and we moved down to literally the 1st row at the 50 yard line behind the Hawks bench. I missed the Gatorade bath on Pete as I think I was too busy partying and soaking it in.

We stayed for the ceremony and I still have a few pieces of confetti. It was a dream come true that you I and our Hawk family will never forget.