Heaps: What Shaquem Griffin brings to the Seahawks’ defense

ivotuk

Reaction score
Heaps: What Shaquem Griffin brings to the Seahawks’ defense

...Shaquem Griffin...wound up on the field on defense, particularly late in the game. He played 17 defensive snaps and recorded both a pass breakup and quarterback hit and lined up both as an edge rusher and also as a linebacker, sometimes “spying” Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll told reporters that Griffin again will be active and play in Week 4 against the Dolphins due to his performance in Week 3. Jake Heaps said that news made him very excited given how Griffin played against the Cowboys.

“What he did at the end of the game versus the Dallas Cowboys as they were going in their two-minute drill and in through the fourth quarter, he actually provided a spark,” he said. “He provided a guy in pass-rushing situations that could legitimately get to the quarterback or create quarterback hurries because of his speed.”

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1191982/ ... s-defense/

sutz

Reaction score
Was good to see him on the field. He made a couple of great plays. :2thumbs:

Reaction score
Shaquem has looked potent towards the end of games, so whether he's still as effective from the start, who knows? You'd have to imagine his speed is more of an asset when facing tired linemen, but even so, I think he showed enough at the end of last season and in the Dallas game to be worthy of more opprtunities. Whether he can be a threat from the first quarter or not, he's certainly useful in some scenarios. so I'd like to see him used more. He's an asset.

sutz

Reaction score
On that note, he'd probably maintain fairly well if used in spot duty throughout the game in long down and distance situations. I kind of like the formation with Queem in as a spy in the shallow middle with Wags playing the deep middle.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm a supporter and fan of both Griffs, for several reasons, but seems to me the great plays contributed by a number of our cast of reserves serves to point out what a loss Blaire is. At the same time it shows we have some genuine quality depth on this team.
Speed is a great equalizer. Hope to see more from Quem.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pass rushing is expensive and in demand. It was mind-blowing we were going to focus on Griffin's weaknesses instead of just getting the one thing from him that he could deliver in spades.

That was confusing and almost maddening.

He isn't the 2nd coming of Rufus Porter or anything, but he can help. I like using him at the end of games as a strategy, and also would like to see him in on those 3rd and +15 type of downs. Additionally, when we have the opponent near their own end zone on 3rd and long, this is a much better option than the dreaded 3-man rush which doesn't even feel worth it when it works.

It will be very interesting to see if the grass doesn't slow Shaquem down too much in Miami to be effective. That worries me a bit, especially if we play in the rain. Very concerned he won't be able to help us much, and then somehow get demoted after that ....because we will need him later.

Note:
Losing Blair was probably devasting to our depth.

I think Blair was also big part of our plan. Sending Adams almost as a LB and keeping Blair out there with Diggs would have been interesting. Having Adams and Griffin on the field alternating rushes would have been amazing.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
He struggles when he locks up with OLinemen, so he needs to avoid that. But when he whips around them, he can blow up a play. I see him playing smarter too. He was good late last year, and it frustrated me to see him not out there. But I think he's learning the game, and how his skills apply best.

I believe all he needs is experience in order to improve and become a real problem for opposing offenses. There have been successful pass rushers with a similar build. Not elite pass rushers, but effective.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Griffin bros. are returning to their home state. They'll probably want to make a splash there, and may even have Miami fans who still like them. If I were Pete, I'd find a way to play them both, and hope to see them put on a show for their University of Central Florida fans.