Lockett

Rat

Reaction score
I liken him more to Galloway, but I see what the article’s saying.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Every era of Seahwaks has had that reliable guy that the QB went to whenever he needed to be sure.
Lockett is the current version of Largent/Blades/Engram/Baldwin.

He's most like Largent because Largent was both a possession guy but also could get open deep. Guys like Blades and Engram were more possession guys without the deep ball capabilities.

Galloway was never reliable enough to hold Lockett's jock. Speed guy that only really developed after he was traded away.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1lqxuqpv said:
Galloway was never reliable enough to hold Lockett's jock. Speed guy that only really developed after he was traded away.

Only developed after he was traded away? What?

In his four full seasons with the Hawks, Galloway went over 1000 yards in three of them (987 yards in the 4th) and had 36 TDs. The rest of his career (12 seasons), he had three 1000 yard years and 41 TDs.

I agree that Tyler seems to be heading to another stratosphere, but Joey can't hold his jock? In his first 5 seasons in the league, Tyler has just under 300 fewer yards and 9 fewer TDs than Joey had in his first 4.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I would put Baldwin over Lockett, but Lockett still has a lot of gas in his tank.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seanhawk":14yu640l said:
Mad Dog":14yu640l said:

In his four full seasons with the Hawks, Galloway went over 1000 yards in three of them (987 yards in the 4th) and had 36 TDs. The rest of his career (12 seasons), he had three 1000 yard years and 41 TDs.

Galloway was DK Metcalf with the Hawks. Not Tyler Lockett. His two years in TB were where he really became a combination possession guy and deep threat.

Yards don't tell the whole story. Metcalf will likely have more yards this year than Lockett, but you all know who Wilson and all Seahawks fans have most confidence in when we need 6 yards.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Lockett and Largent were both born on September 28th and are from Tulsa, Oklahoma.
I remember when we drafted him. It was eerie and exciting. Our 2 Tulsa boys have been pretty special indeed. :D

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":9mml2wqo said:
Mad Dog":9mml2wqo said:

I agree that Tyler seems to be heading to another stratosphere, but Joey can't hold his jock? In his first 5 seasons in the league, Tyler has just under 300 fewer yards and 9 fewer TDs than Joey had in his first 4.
Galloway was playing back when there wasn't near as much focus on the ground game & the ball was being slung a lot more.
I like the Bobby Engram comparison, the guy was clutch.

Fade

Reaction score
Lockett is like Largent in that he is sneaky fast, he just has a way of getting behind guys that I haven't seen since Largent with the way he runs his routes. Lockett also has excellent hands, not Largent level, but pretty close.

Baldwin had it all as a slot receiver. He was Steve Smith reincarnate, but stuck in a run heavy offense. He is PFF's highest graded slot receiver of all-time. Lockett is moving up, if he has a couple of special seasons here upcoming, then I will have to reevaluate. I am glad he is on the Seahawks right now that is for sure.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2taac1x0 said:
Seanhawk":2taac1x0 said:
Mad Dog":2taac1x0 said:

Galloway was playing back when there wasn't near as much focus on the ground game & the ball was being slung a lot more.
I like the Bobby Engram comparison, the guy was clutch.

No, it wasn't. In Galloway's 4 seasons with the Hawks, they averaged 523 pass attempts per year. The Hawks have averaged 515 throws per year the last 4 seasons.

D

DomeHawk

Fade":3ulal8rf said:
Lockett is like Largent in that he is sneaky fast, he just has a way of getting behind guys that I haven't seen since Largent with the way he runs his routes. Lockett also has excellent hands, not Largent level, but pretty close.

Baldwin had it all as a slot receiver. He was Steve Smith reincarnate, but stuck in a run heavy offense. He is PFF's highest graded slot receiver of all-time. Lockett is moving up, if he has a couple of special seasons here upcoming, then I will have to reevaluate. I am glad he is on the Seahawks right now that is for sure.

Not to disparage what you wrote here but Largent was nowhere near as fast as Lockett at a 4.7-40 vs Lockett's 4.3-40 Largent just ran incredibly good routes and if there was anything sneaky about him it was his feet as the great Raider's CB Lester Hayes said of him calling him the best WR in the league at that time.

He wasn't sneaky fast but he sneaky quick coming out of those cuts with those sneaky feet.

Tyler Lockett is a worthy replacement and he can do it all now starting to fill the void of possession receiver that ADB left.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":327710y4 said:
Fade":327710y4 said:

Not to disparage what you wrote here but Largent was nowhere near as fast as Lockett at a 4.7-40 vs Lockett's 4.3-40 Largent just ran incredibly good routes and if there was anything sneaky about him it was his feet as the great Raider's CB Lester Hayes said of him calling him the best WR in the league at that time.

He wasn't sneaky fast but he sneaky quick coming out of those cuts with those sneaky feet.

Tyler Lockett is a worthy replacement and he can do it all now starting to fill the void of possession receiver that ADB left.

Largent could get separation in a phone booth with the Refrigerator in there with him, that's what set him apart from everyone else, he was that precise and that good at reading a defender.

Oh Youngens, Google Phone Booth and Refrigerator Perry if you don't understand.

Sac

Reaction score
Lockett's combine numbers were almost identical to AB's, and he's not a head case.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
These player comparison threads are fun! It is so interesting to see how different people see players differently.

Galloway was really fast, but his routes weren't all that clean and I don't think he had nearly the good hands of Baldwin, Lockett, and especially Largent. Baldwin was great at getting separation and had the hands, but, like Largent, he didn't have great speed.
Lockett has all those things. 4:3 isn't sneaky fast, it's blazing fast. He's also quick, which is a different thing than just fast. I think Lockett can be the best we've had if he keeps up his pace.
But, given time and barring injury, DK might just grab that mantle before the dust has settled on his career.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2i1h0kuh said:
Seanhawk":2i1h0kuh said:
Mad Dog":2i1h0kuh said:

Galloway was DK Metcalf with the Hawks. Not Tyler Lockett. His two years in TB were where he really became a combination possession guy and deep threat.

Yards don't tell the whole story. Metcalf will likely have more yards this year than Lockett, but you all know who Wilson and all Seahawks fans have most confidence in when we need 6 yards.

Where did I say yards told the whole story? You said he really only developed after he left the Hawks. His most productive seasons were arguably with them:

3 of his top 4 seasons for total receptions
3 of his top 4 seasons for receiving yards
4 of his top 5 seasons for receiving TDs

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Lockett is no longer 4.4 speed after breaking his leg. He is now quick, vice being fast earlier in his career.

D

DomeHawk

falcongoggles":2dcs1awi said:
Lockett is no longer 4.4 speed after breaking his leg. He is now quick, vice being fast earlier in his career.

And you know this how? A broken bone has no effect on the fast twitch muscles that control how fast or not you are.