Time to give Ben Burr-Kirven a shot???

PNW

Reaction score
Firstly I’m super happy with the W today, it’s amazing to be 4-0, with that being said is it time to give Ben Burr-Kirven a shot over Cody Barton? I did NOT like what I saw out of him today and haven’t been impressed with him at all really. I would love to see what Ben Burr-Kirven can offer. What are your thoughts???

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure why he hasn't gotten a shot yet. He was a tackling machine in college from what I remember so he sounds like a great fit for us in that regard.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
Appyhawk":6ku1swoo said:
I think Kirvin is gunning to be a ST all star. And he's doing it! IF he could do that well as a LB we might be able to get some better QB pressure out of the deal.
Agreed! He’s a star on ST, I believe that Cody could also fill this ST role and Kirvin should get a shot now. I agree with you that Kirvin could assist with getting QB pressure, although we did decent against the Dolphins today!

HawkerD

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2ajhqjvj said:
He is the Heath Farwell of Special Teams!
:ditto:

He lack speed & size for the NFL. If he is playing on D, we either are up by 28 or desperate.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
HawkerD":34vq28s6 said:
vigilantgrrl":34vq28s6 said:

He lack speed & size for the NFL. If he is playing on D, we either are up by 28 or desperate.

So you’ve been happy with Barton? Cause I’ve been very disappointed, there’s no telling how well Kirvin would do until you get him out there, there’s lots of fast guys (not sure where you got BBK being slow from? 4.56 40yard) that are undersized succeeding in the NFL. As long as he can make a tackle or even hold onto someone until Wagner comes over to clean up he’s already doing better than Barton. Barton ran a 4.64 40yard for the record so he’s at least faster than that.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Let’s do it...we won’t know how it’ll work with BBK until he gets some game action but i’ve seen nothing that’s special about Barton

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, some of the angles Barton takes on tackles, let alone his tackling leave a lot to be desired.
That being said, he could have had a pick 6 and did knock that ball up that resulted in the first pick. The first of what should have been 5 on the day for the Hawks.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I watched Barton totally whiff twice yesterday...like embarrassingly bad whiffs (also saw Diggs take a bad angle at a RB with a chance to make a play and did the old 'olay' looking like he didn't want the contact, ughhh).

Tackling yesterday was not great.

I say give Kirvin some extra reps...can't hurt. I think he has a great nose for the ball.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Osprey":3n27jrfw said:
Worth the experiment and might shock Barton into a reset.

Reset to what? He was awful last year too. I believe Barton may be not suited to play OLB role. He's probably better suited to be a MLB (backup to Wagner) and stick with that. They picked up Tim Williams last week. Hopefully he can fill the role moving forward.

HawkerD

Reaction score
PNW":1rwhd5q0 said:
HawkerD":1rwhd5q0 said:
vigilantgrrl":1rwhd5q0 said:

So you’ve been happy with Barton? Cause I’ve been very disappointed, there’s no telling how well Kirvin would do until you get him out there, there’s lots of fast guys (not sure where you got BBK being slow from? 4.56 40yard) that are undersized succeeding in the NFL. As long as he can make a tackle or even hold onto someone until Wagner comes over to clean up he’s already doing better than Barton. Barton ran a 4.64 40yard for the record so he’s at least faster than that.

The answer to bad is not terrible.

CPHawk

Reaction score
He would be playing if he was better than Barton. Also if he was from MIZZOU or anywhere else but uw, this thread wouldn't exist.

balakoth

Reaction score
I love that defense

"Well he'd be playing if he was better"

Better in practice eh? That's about the only thing they can evaluate.. and we see them reguarly make iconicly stupid starting decisions

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
CPHawk":32lqjifl said:
He would be playing if he was better than Barton. Also if he was from MIZZOU or anywhere else but uw, this thread wouldn't exist.

^I see a lot of truth here^

When you look at his college production it's easy to forget how good those UW defenses were; higher draft picks all over the place. They funneled everything to the middle where BBK cleaned up. And he did it very well. His issue is still he's safety size with LB athleticism. His "tweener" status reminds me of all those great college DEs that you see all over the place who never get a look at the next level. He should continue to be a prototype special teams ace for a long and successful career.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
There was a time when someone on the roster was a starter over Sherman, Why didn’t the coaches have him as a starter? Was it because the guy ahead of him in the depth chart was better? I’m not saying Kirvin is HOF level but you don’t know how it’s going to work until you get the player on that field. If Barton was looking solid on the field I wouldn’t mention anything. This was only brought up due to the flat out awful play of Barton, I would be willing to bet Kirvin would be as good if not better given the low bar Barton is setting, plus he’s quicker, faster and more athletic.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
HawkerD":21lcyssz said:
PNW":21lcyssz said:
HawkerD":21lcyssz said:
vigilantgrrl":21lcyssz said:

The answer to bad is not terrible.

I mean you mentioned Kirvin was lacking speed even though he’s quicker and faster than Barton. Reality is you actually have no clue if he’s worse or not, this is just your opinion at the same time I don’t know either, but what I do know is I see Barton failing his test so I’m open to new things. If Barton is “bad” right now it might be a time to test the unknown. Show me your evidence where you see BBK being “terrible” is it because he’s behind Barton on the depth chart? As stated above Sherman was a backup to someone “better” than him but that did not turn out to be reality.