Our Punter.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Is Michael Dickson the best punter in the league? First, let's not forget he punts in a cold, damp-air city and his average is in the top-5. Not that I watch any other punters, but this guy kicks bombs, he gets it off quick, and he's pretty accurate when he has to be.

Kudos to you MD.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
All-Pro and Pro Bowl in his first year if I'm not mistaken? Dude is so good we almost take him for granted.

He almost makes you look forward to punting.

I said almost.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He's a good punter and a good field goal holder, which is the most underappreciated position in football

rjdriver

Reaction score
Yes...sometimes our fandom gets in the way of objectivity....

But this ?

Not even close. There is not another punter in the NFL I would take over Dickson.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
Aros":3hpef6ml said:
All-Pro and Pro Bowl in his first year if I'm not mistaken? Dude is so good we almost take him for granted.

He almost makes you look forward to punting.

I said almost.

Lol nice :lol:

The times that I've seen the pocket collapse around him and I think he might get blocked, he does a short wind-up to get it off... and still gets 50+ yards easily. It's amazing, and yes... we definitely take that for granted.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Best punter in the league. Hands Down. Damn Aussie can play.

FPD

Reaction score
MVP! MVP!! MVP!!! ........Oh wait lol

Nunya

Reaction score
Dickson is a very good punter, but he has one of the most unorthodox form. He always looks like he is trying a chip shot....even if he is one his own 20 yard line. He often has very little leg extension or elevation. Not complaining...if it works, it works.

Compare his form to another great punter, Ray Guy:

MICHAELDICK12 640x360

Ray Guy USPstoryhighlegkick jpg 015721

seahawks-in-qc

Reaction score
Dickson is really solid this year but I do believe the best one is still Morstead, Super boring of style but never saw a guy that consistent in the past years. Sanchez from the Colts is also a monster in placement punts.

But I still really love Dickson! No hate on him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's one of the best in the league, w/out a doubt. I seem to remember some people blasting him last year like he was a bust or something. Nope

ivotuk

Reaction score
I believe he has more punts inside the 20 than anyone else. Doesn't matter if he has to kick it 60 yards in order to get that result, or 35 yards. That's an amazing ability, and inside the 20 placement in punting is the only stat that matters.

jman316

Reaction score
I still can't believe that he was the MVP of the bowl game Texas played in a few years back.

A punter...

MVP of a bowl game.

Crazy.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
When we let Ryan go I was hurt. How could they let our MVP punter go when he played such an important role.

Then this guy comes along and is better?

HawaiiD

Reaction score
He is the sole reason why SF went out and got their "Australian" punter after what "Big Balls" Dickson did to them in his rookie year!

evergreen

Reaction score
John Ryan will forever live in infamy from Seattle. He is legendary. But this kid is the best punter I've seen since Ray Guy.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Nunya":1ujjfybz said:
Dickson is a very good punter, but he has one of the most unorthodox form. He always looks like he is trying a chip shot....even if he is one his own 20 yard line. He often has very little leg extension or elevation. Not complaining...if it works, it works.

Compare his form to another great punter, Ray Guy:

MICHAELDICK12 640x360

Ray Guy USPstoryhighlegkick jpg 015721

I don't think form is a good comparison at all.
I punted in HS. Jeff West of the Seahawks was my coach.
I could at the time punt further than Jeff West. What I couldn't do was keep the ball in the air longer than him.
I think the leg extension has to do with hanging that thing up there forever?
Dickson doesn't look like the ball rolls off of his foot like Jeff taught me. It looks as if his foot punches the ball so to speak.
It's definitely different, and as you said, whatever works.

sutz

Reaction score
Dickson played Australian rules football, where they are often kicking the ball on the run. I think that makes for the shorter leg stroke and a choppier looking motion. It is unorthodox per American standards, but he obviously still gets distance and his accuracy is top 5 in the NFL, at least.

I remember a comment I heard many years ago. I don't remember exactly what sport it was but it's probably universal. The "follow through" is generally over emphasized. What happens after the ball leaves doesn't really matter. The reason some coaches emphasize follow through is that changing that usually changes what you do before you strike the ball.

Dickson looked a bit more ordinary in 2019, but he looks like he's back to his rookie form now.