Run Defense Top 5

RCATES

Reaction score
A local beat writer Greg Bell seems to think our ranked Run D is smoke and mirrors due to how bad the secondary has been. He thinks Minnesota will expose us Sunday.

Gregg Bell
@gbellseattle
·
13m
For those seeing #Seahawks run defense 3rd in NFL in rush yards allowed and thinking SEA has been great vs the run, consider: no RB has rushed more than 14 times in a game vs them. It’s been too easy to throw on Seattle to bother running.

That will change vs Dalvin Cook Sunday

Own The West

Reaction score
It may. Although our rush per attempt is also 3rd at 3.4 ypc.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Own The West":210cjmtu said:

This is the stat that gets my attention. I have no numbers to back it up, but just from the eye test, early in the game before going down by a couple scores, our first three opponents were all trying to run the ball with limited success. And that includes Zeke.

sutz

Reaction score
The low number of rushing attempts might also be due to the fact that our opponents have been playing from behind a lot. Sometimes 2 scores behind.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
May as well not even play, I mean a media type thinks the Hawks will get "exposed"
Like they did when they beat the first 4 opponents? The only thing being exposed is opposing defenses while the Hawks continue to rack up 30+ every week. I guess if you predict a loss and/or doom and gloom enough times, eventually you'll be right.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":i6m9jukf said:
May as well not even play, I mean a media type thinks the Hawks will get "exposed"
Like they did when they beat the first 4 opponents? The only thing being exposed is opposing defenses while the Hawks continue to rack up 30+ every week. I guess if you predict a loss and/or doom and gloom enough times, eventually you'll be right.

Its worth discussion don't you think? I'd argue maybe because of the lack of success running the ball caused those teams to run less. Greg has been around the league for awhile. Specifically covering the Seahawks. He's usualy spot on.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Own The West":rvhaut9j said:

That's the only stat I'm interested in. Ezekial Elliot, Early Season Todd Gurley.

"Let Davin Cook" this Sunday will be a good measuring stick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, def. worth discussing. Run D has not been an issue all year. Cook will get his imo. But not enough to get his team a win.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Funny topic. I said this the other day. Now people have blogs and other posts on it. Lot of factors tie into it. Getting stuffed early on in the run game, opponent offenses
Playing from behind or simply because our secondary is a liability. I chose the last. Teams know success is passing against us. It's hard to run effectively only running a handful of plays. Seahawks d against run has seen a low in attempted runs.

Fade

Reaction score
For Greg Bell's theory to play out, he needs the SEA offense to stumble. If the Hawks keep putting up points early, then Minny will have to throw to stay in the game, just like the previous 4 games. Also Minny has 2 of the highest graded WRs in the NFL.

Maulbert

Reaction score
ivotuk":3jqhrlnq said:
Own The West":3jqhrlnq said:

That's the only stat I'm interested in. Ezekial Elliot, Early Season Todd Gurley.

"Let Davin Cook" this Sunday will be a good measuring stick.

Stopping Zeke was impressive. Stopping Gurley is easy. Dude's done, and I don't know why people don't get that.

themunn

Reaction score
RCATES":3d2uious said:
A local beat writer Greg Bell seems to think our ranked Run D is smoke and mirrors due to how bad the secondary has been. He thinks Minnesota will expose us Sunday.

Gregg Bell
@gbellseattle
·
13m
For those seeing #Seahawks run defense 3rd in NFL in rush yards allowed and thinking SEA has been great vs the run, consider: no RB has rushed more than 14 times in a game vs them. It’s been too easy to throw on Seattle to bother running.

Surely if we look only at rushing yards by running backs we are smoking the competition - 120 of our 303 rushing yards given up have been to scrambling QBs

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Fade":4yr7xef2 said:
For Greg Bell's theory to play out, he needs the SEA offense to stumble. If the Hawks keep putting up points early, then Minny will have to throw to stay in the game, just like the previous 4 games. Also Minny has 2 of the highest graded WRs in the NFL.

And probably a top 3 recieving running back next to Kamara and GB jones.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
RCATES":1j5rgxwt said:

Gregg Bell
@gbellseattle
·
13m

I like Gregg Bell.

He is an intelligent guy and his thesis does have some merit.

Who has Seattle played that their team is a "running" team?

1. Atlanta (still a pass first team with Julio and now emerging star Calvin Ridley). Gurley still at times does have something left in the tank but make no mistake, Ryan will throw the ball for Atlanta and that is how their offense moves.

2. Patriots (Belichick knows to play teams weakness (always). Seattle's defense is their pass defense. Belichick and McDaniel's created a game plan for Newton to throw all over Seattle. And their plan worked fine for a lot of the game.

3. Dallas (Dak has been throwing it a lot this season, and it isn't just cause they played Seattle). Zeke has not rushed a lot, at all! Pretty dumb game planning in my eyes. I think Zeke is a top 3 RB bell cow. And what is really dumb about Dallas is, they can be beat Seattle when they choose to run Zeke. But in this latest game against Dallas, Dallas threw the ball a lot because this is Prescott's offense. But since Seattle got the win, I'm not complaining. But Zeke can beat Seattle. Dallas just doesn't want to go with Zeke running any more.

4. Miami (Dolphins has no BACKS) Gaskin a local kid and Husky, I watched his entire UW career and he is not a bell cow back. Miami had to throw against Seattle.

5. Vikings (Yes, this game will test Seattle's run defense!) Minnesota still has a good air game but Cook is how they win games. Dalvin Cook (I hate him cause he's not on my fantasy team and I play him this week) but this guy can run. Minnesota will run Cook at least 20-25 runs this game and this will test Seattle. Expect Minnesota to tote the ball and run heavy play action to Thielen, Jefferson and Rudolph. This game will be close. Seattle will not blow Minnesota out.