Seahawks Sign Jonathan Bullard

QuahHawk

Reaction score
PFF ranked him as the #1 interior run defender in college football for 2015. He impressed athletically at the combine with a decent three-cone (7.31) and vertical (32 inches). He also has good size (6-3, 285lbs, 33.5 inch arms, 10 inch hands) and has the right attitude for this team. Bullard returned to Florida in 2015 because he wanted to prove he was a better player than the mid-round grade he received from the draft committee.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/seven-roun ... mock-draft

nanomoz

Reaction score
This is interesting. If I'm not mistaken, Bullard is more of a 34 end. I wonder if the Hawks see him as a Red Bryant 5 -technique, or as someone that projects well inside.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Sounds like we're throwing some players against the wall and we'll see who sticks.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I've been saying we are more of a 335 team. 335 is at its core 34. Ecspecially with Robinson looking like he has taking on the Irvin extra de role. Plus, when Irvin was starting we began games with just 3 down lineman.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Dam our d line is going to be Bullard, snacks and reed with others rotating in. Just my assumption, but poona and mone subs snacks, collier subs reed or bullard. Robinson and mayowa are going to be full time blitzers with quem and moore thrown in obvious passing situations. Not at the same time, but rotating as well. Wonder what they will do with taylor when he finally gets to play. And this is all because we want to keep as many linebackers on the field at once.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I like this addition, this player is somewhat of an underachiever so far in his career.

He does have demonstrable ability if he is motivated, let’s hope he an show his stuff here.

They are clearly looking for that guy who can make a difference here.

Price is right and he could just be a diamond in the rough. Worth a shot.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He played well at Florida, but has been "meh" in the NFL. I wonder if he struggles to learn the NFL level?
Walterfootball has an interesting take on him...

Bullard totaled 66 tackles with 17.5 for a loss, 6.5 sacks and two passes batted in 2015. He was one of the SEC's best run defenders on the defensive line and demonstrated the ability to rush well from the inside.

In 2014, Bullard totaled 52 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 2.5 sacks and two passes batted, coming on strong late in the season. He showed nice versatility to line up as an end and tackle over his time at Florida.

Player Comparison: Michael Bennett. Bullard's game and skill set remind me of Bennett. Both are able to play end on run downs and move inside in passing situations. Bennett (6-4, 274) is a good pass-rusher with quickness, functional strength, and effort. He is very good at taking on right tackles and guards. I think Bullard could be similar in the NFL.

NFL Matches: Baltimore, New Orleans, Detroit, New Orleans, Buffalo, Washington, Cincinnati, Arizona, Seattle and Denver

Seattle could use an interior disruptor, and Bullard has graded out high in the organization's SPARQ system.

Brandon Mebane left in free agency, and the Seahawks already had problems with a lack of interior pass rush once injuries would hit their defense. Bullard looks like a perfect fit for what the team targets.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepo ... ullard.php

ivotuk

Reaction score
More on Bullard, but Ogbah, who gave us fits in Miami, is ridiculous!

DE Emmanuel Ogbah, Oklahoma State

Ogbah turned some heads when he ran a 4.63-second 40-yard dash with a 1.59-second 10-yard split at 6-foot-4, 273 pounds. He also had a 35.5-inch vertical lap and a 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump

DT Jonathan Bullard, Florida

Bullard checked every box with a 1.66-second 10-yard split, 4.93-second 40-yard dash, 32-inch vertical jump, 9-foot, 8-inch broad jump, 7.31-second three-cone and 4.56-second short shuttle at 6-foot-3, 285 pounds.

And just for fun:

DE Alex McCallister, Florida

McCallister is 6-foot-6, 239 pounds and ran a 4.00-second 20-yard shuttle. Consider that D.J. Foster, who’s 5-foot-10, 193 pounds, led all wide receivers with a 4.07-second 20-yard shuttle.

McCallister also ran a 4.80-second 40-yard dash and a 7.01-second three-cone, and recorded a 34.5-inch vertical leap and 10-foot, 8-inch broad jump. He didn’t bench, but he has 36-inch long arms, so can you really blame him?

DT Dean Lowry, Northwestern

Lowry had a similar performance to Bullard but stands 2 inches taller and 11 pounds heavier. He ran a 1.70-second 10-yard split, 4.87-second 40-yard dash, 7.26-second three-cone and 4.38-second short shuttle. He also recorded a 32.5-inch vertical and a 9-foot, 6-inch broad jump.

https://nesn.com/2016/02/darron-lee-jon ... e-winners/

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1rcp3uag said:
I like this addition, this player is somewhat of an underachiever so far in his career.

He does have demonstrable ability if he is motivated, let’s hope he an show his stuff here.

They are clearly looking for that guy who can make a difference here.

Price is right and he could just be a diamond in the rough. Worth a shot.

I dont know man. Few years back Chicago's d was something fierce with Goldman, bullard and the big man hicks. I think he knows a thing or two.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Bullard's seeming lack of production at the NFL level is due to him having played his entire career thus far as a 3-4 DE, which is not the best use of his skill set. His first three years in the NFL with the Bears he was in Vic Fangio's 3-4, and since last season he'd been in Arizona where Vance Joseph runs a 3-4 as well. So since he's entered the league he's been asked to occupy blocks in a 2-gap scheme, rather than being the one-gapping disruptor that he was at Florida in then-HC Will Muschamp's 4-3 (where during Bullard's freshman season his DC and DL coach was Dan Quinn). He was always best-suited to being a 4-3 strong-side DE (5-tech) on base downs who kicks inside on passing downs. Now he'll finally get that opportunity.

godawg

Reaction score
I love that when we have a problem with a position our front office throws the kitchen sink at it, and more often than not, some of these folks stick.

LTH

Reaction score
If It's true that this guy has underachieved in his career it very well could be for a variety of different reasons. the locker room culture, scheme, Pete is really good at getting guys to perform at their best here is hoping the Hawks can work some magic like they have so many times in the past...

LTH

tersal

Reaction score
Leauge is loaded with guys who miss on theirfirst shot and come on with their second team . Let us hope that happens here. Cannot hurt also with guys like Wagner, Adams and Wright on the defense there are strong influences. Finally suppose he works out then it creates a trade oppurtunity eith say Collier or Green for another Leo perhaps.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Players that might not have been successful if not for being under Pete's wing.

KJ Wright
Kam Chancellor
Chris (7th round) Carson
Brandon Browned
Red Bryant
Chris Clemons

Pete's not always successful, but he and John have hit some home runs.

Looking at Bullard's history, he has the ability to do well in the NFL, he just needs the right situation and motivation.