Tim Williams? Former Alabama LB 3rd RD Balt pick

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tim Williams the former third round pick of the Ravens has been signed by the Seattle Seahawks practice squad, according to sources.

...All-SEC second team player as well and was on the watch list for the Bedanarik, Lott, Nagurski, Butkus and Lombardi Awards.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/tim-williams/

Tim Williams example of wasted potential for Baltimore Ravens

by Richard Bradshaw 1 year ago

As has been the story for many Baltimore Ravens draft picks, Tim Williams is another classic example of potential completely wasted.

Tim Williams may be the most polarizing player I can remember the Baltimore Ravens drafting in quite some time. Williams had Lawrence Taylor upside per one of his coaches, and I believed in him to become a monster. Instead, he burned out faster than a small candle you use for ambiance.

What happened to this undeniably gifted and talented pass rusher? It’s very simple: he didn’t want to be the best.

https://ebonybird.com/2019/10/01/tim-wi ... al-ravens/

Packers Release Kumerow, Tim Williams on Path to 53-Man Roster

Williams had been running with the second unit alongside Rashan Gary throughout traning camp. A third-round pick by Baltimore, it appeared he had found his niche.

"Coming from Baltimore, it’s a lot of heavy running in that division," he said last week. "They throw the ball around a lot over here and, basically, the teams that we play, they like to throw the ball a lot and do a lot of gimmicks and finesse stuff. It plays into one of my attributes, which is being fast. I’m kind of a hybrid guy that can run sideline to sideline and be able to develop some pressure on the quarterback. Man, I just love to play football."

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/liv ... packers-53

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I used to get excited when we signed some other teams castoff that has great potential. It feels like so long since any of those have worked out that I don’t even follow them anymore.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is a player that has demonstrated skill as an edge rusher, but he has motivation issues which have resulted in his being canned everywhere he’s been since college. Without a doubt he’s a gamble and certainly a reclamation project, but he sure might prove to be a total steal.

I’m very curious about this player.

This is a clear example of JS combing through the castoff pile to find a flawed but talented reclamation project. He could be a swing and a miss, but reward to risk is very high with potential with this player.

olyfan63

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3rldhvhu said:
I used to get excited when we signed some other teams castoff that has great potential. It feels like so long since any of those have worked out that I don’t even follow them anymore.

Yeah, but when one of them works out, it's like hitting a jackpot on the penny slots. So Pete and John keep playing, gambling addicts that they are.

I hear you, though, we bring in guys and most of them, just NOTHING, then released, and another potentially promising guy brought in. This year, I think it matters more than ever, that more of these guys will see the field.

Even if these guys rarely work out, enough of them do, even if for a few games, and it contributes to the team culture of "always compete", which is probably back in force again now, with CaBevell gone.

Mychal Kendricks and Josh Gordon are reclamation projects. Also, Dion Jordan comes to mind, reclamation project, but I think injuries dogged him in Seattle. He's back in the league, getting sacks recently for some other team. On the flip side of it, we dumped Tedric Thompson, and now he's playing 36% of the defensive snaps for KC. Not that I miss him, maybe it says more about KC's D than Seattle's.

chris98251

Reaction score
olyfan63":2gwozhvk said:
JayhawkMike":2gwozhvk said:

Yeah, but when one of them works out, it's like hitting a jackpot on the penny slots. So Pete and John keep playing, gambling addicts that they are.

I hear you, though, we bring in guys and most of them, just NOTHING, then released, and another potentially promising guy brought in. This year, I think it matters more than ever, that more of these guys will see the field.

Even if these guys rarely work out, enough of them do, even if for a few games, and it contributes to the team culture of "always compete", which is probably back in force again now, with CaBevell gone.

Mychal Kendricks and Josh Gordon are reclamation projects. Also, Dion Jordan comes to mind, reclamation project, but I think injuries dogged him in Seattle. He's back in the league, getting sacks recently for some other team. On the flip side of it, we dumped Tedric Thompson, and now he's playing 36% of the defensive snaps for KC. Not that I miss him, maybe it says more about KC's D than Seattle's.

Scheme, we ask our guys to play a simple scheme but with exceptional technique and discipline, some guys don't have that ability, they also put a responsibility on them to be students of the game, some players just want to play, Earl had that problem and it took Kam and Sherm teaching him how to be a professional before he really took off.

Then some guys just don't process information quickly, College and Pro are different animals, natural ability dominates the college game, in the Pro game you have to have the mental game as well which is also why so many gifted college QB's just can't get to that next level, but other positions have a similar fall out.

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":19wyxhgg said:
-snip-
Scheme, we ask our guys to play a simple scheme but with exceptional technique and discipline, some guys don't have that ability, they also put a responsibility on them to be students of the game, some players just want to play, Earl had that problem and it took Kam and Sherm teaching him how to be a professional before he really took off.

Then some guys just don't process information quickly, College and Pro are different animals, natural ability dominates the college game, in the Pro game you have to have the mental game as well which is also why so many gifted college QB's just can't get to that next level, but other positions have a similar fall out.

It's been pretty awesome watching a lot of our guys turn into Students of the Game, seems like that's more consistent quality in our late-round draft picks and UDFAs than our random crapshoot FA signings. Baldwin, Sherman, Kam, KJ, lots more. It's encouraging that our best students of the game are our leaders, Russell, Bobby, Olsen, DK, Tyler, Adams. I get the feeling that most of our rooks, specifically including Jordyn Brooks, Swain, Lewis, DJ Dallas, Parkinson, Sullivan, Taylor, OK our whole damn 2020 draft class, are guys who embrace that culture. I'm digressing a bit here; maybe I'll start a thread on Seahawks students of the game to see what interesting info turns up.

Some great football I.Q. moments that come to mind are the 4th and 7 in the NFCCG where Niners jumped, and all the receivers adjusted to vertical routes, and Russell hit Jermaine Kearse for the TD pass. I always felt Kearse was a higher football IQ guy than people gave him credit for. The final play stuffing Cam and NE this year was a great football IQ play all the way around from several Hawk players.

Back on topic, Pete got a good season or so out of WR Mike Williams, off the scrap heap; the light bulb went on. I'd even consider Bruce Irvin as a scrap heap guy the Seahawks bet big on as a rookie, and who has worked his ass off to come from where he came from and be a good pro. Maybe this Tim Williams will be ready to settle down and do the mental work. Some times there are learning disabilities involved, and a little accommodation on the learning can make all the difference; I suspect the Hawks would be one of the better teams in the NFL on that kind of stuff.

chet380

Reaction score
I wonder who on the Hawlks would be the most likely to take this kid under his wing and mentor him on developing a 'pro mentality' and instilling a tough desire to succeed -- Bobby Wagner is a complete pro, but may have too much on his plate to take it on.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
K.J. Wright would be my answer. He’s so totally underrated it’s criminal.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chet380":2npz7ct9 said:
I wonder who on the Hawlks would be the most likely to take this kid under his wing and mentor him on developing a 'pro mentality' and instilling a tough desire to succeed -- Bobby Wagner is a complete pro, but may have too much on his plate to take it on.
It was Bobby Wagner who came to my mind also; Wagner loves imparting his football smarts, and I believe Williams will take to Wagner's enthusiasm, and love for the game....Mayowa is a good example of someone who appears to have rekindled his love for the game, maybe Williams will catch the same bug. :2thumbs: