Pete setting up post Bye

chris98251

Reaction score
I get the feeling Pete is stacking the deck on defense for after the bye, he knows it is 10 more games of a season plus post season, he knows that with Covid and injuries possible he needs depth, he is allowing guys like Adams and Dunbar to heal, he has guys on IR that will be healed also in a few weeks and then can be used as needed as well. He has brought in situational guys that may not play for three weeks but will be there for the run.

The defense is going to look vastly different in a month I am thinking.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Post-Bye Defense?

D-Line: Mayowa, Snacks, Reed, Collier
LBer: Wright, Wagner, PREZ
CB: Dunbar, Griffin
NB: Amadi
S: Diggs, Neal

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2y6hsjbx said:
Post-Bye Defense?

Adams not Neal, I think Neal will be a rotational guy depending on need run or pass and downs and yards.

We also have the kid ready that came from S.F. as well at CB, Pete said he was close, we will be deep after the bye and much healthier. Taylor and Robinson and then the two new signings as well, don't rule out Kendrick's as well.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yup, one of Pete's super-powers, taking scrap heap NEAGs*, and UTBAGs, especially on the Defensive side, finding something they do well, and using their strengths to turn them into viable, sometimes even above-average JAGs who outperform their contracts by a large margin, within the Seahawks scheme, while not asking things of them that are outside their strengths. Ryan Neal? Going back a ways, Brandon Browner?

* NEAG = Not Even A Guy, much less Just A Guy.
* UTBAG = Used To Be A Guy

themunn

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2qg1beyf said:
Post-Bye Defense?

Who is PREZ?

I assume that Jordyn Brooks will be back in the lineup by then?

Would also be nice if Darrell Taylor was ready to come off PUP at the earliest opportunity, though at this point I'm expecting a Collier-like rookie season from him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great post, and you can see that he absolutely is getting guys healthy for after the bye. The D may not end up being great, but if they can be average, this team is a flat out contender. Esp. with this offense not only putting up 30 burgers, but consistently. And they are gonna' get better as the season rolls on. They still haven't even had Penny, Gordon or Dorsett.
Back to the Defense.... I can see Ryan moving to situational and that's fine. Depth will be something this team finally has after the bye. If we get Adams, Brooks and Dunbar back, this D has no excuse to not improve. Plus, Snacks.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
themunn":ncb8frvw said:
Pandion Haliaetus":ncb8frvw said:
Post-Bye Defense?

Who is PREZ?

I assume that Jordyn Brooks will be back in the lineup by then?

Would also be nice if Darrell Taylor was ready to come off PUP at the earliest opportunity, though at this point I'm expecting a Collier-like rookie season from him.

Prez is Jamal Adams. It's his Twitter handle.

themunn

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":349gk7g0 said:

Explains why he isn't in there as starting safety!

Adams makes ALL-PRO at his position. Logical thing is to move him? No way. Neal despite his two interceptions hasn't shown enough to me to displace the ALL-PRO that is ahead of him.

And the comparisons to Sherman are off base. Sherman came in on his rookie season and went one-on-one with AJ Green - picking off one pass and tipping up another for Kam to pull in. Neal is in his third season and team, and while certainly he's been a pleasant surprise, I've not seen anything yet that screams to me "FUTURE ALL PRO". Though obviously I'll be happy to be disproven.

olyfan63

Reaction score
themunn":3t0a94w7 said:
FlyingGreg":3t0a94w7 said:

Explains why he isn't in there as starting safety!

Adams makes ALL-PRO at his position. Logical thing is to move him? No way. Neal despite his two interceptions hasn't shown enough to me to displace the ALL-PRO that is ahead of him.

And the comparisons to Sherman are off base. Sherman came in on his rookie season and went one-on-one with AJ Green - picking off one pass and tipping up another for Kam to pull in. Neal is in his third season and team, and while certainly he's been a pleasant surprise, I've not seen anything yet that screams to me "FUTURE ALL PRO". Though obviously I'll be happy to be disproven.

Yup, pretty much. I was celebrating Ryan Neal's rapid ascent to "Just A Guy" from "Not Even A Guy". Sherman was a special, special case.

Likewise, I am excited to see Jordyn Brooks get healthy and get back on the field. He totally has the potential to be a future All-Pro.

With this offense, all we need is an "average-and-improving" defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure this was some grand plan of Pete's, injuries have forced his hand with having to play some of the younger guys.

Which is indeed an attribute of Petes, he's always been willing to give players chances as long as they prove it on the practice field.

Another attribute is Pete never rushes players back. He knows it's a long season, so he's not going to risk long term injury issues just to get a player back for one game.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd say the main issue they are responding to, is the high number of snaps that the starters are playing -- going back to the first game. Injuries cut it even shorter.

Need to keep guys fresh. Especially on the DL, which has seen starters playing far too many snaps for their play and health to be sustained over the entire season.

But yeah, it looks like we're setting up for a mid season infusion of fresh players for what will be our tougher stretch of the schedule. Once past Halloween, it's going to lighten up considerably before the December death march through the divisional foes.

sutz

Reaction score
Smart coaches plan ahead. Almost every game will have trade offs like this. As the season wears on, players get a variety of hurts and injuries, some big, some they can play through. Setting it up so key guys get the time off they need to get healthy enough to play at their best is just good coaching.

:snack:

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27bgko8t said:
Not sure this was some grand plan of Pete's, injuries have forced his hand with having to play some of the younger guys.

Which is indeed an attribute of Petes, he's always been willing to give players chances as long as they prove it on the practice field.

Another attribute is Pete never rushes players back. He knows it's a long season, so he's not going to risk long term injury issues just to get a player back for one game.

I think it's smart to play the younger guys... He knows now what he has and what to expect from them it will pay off later in the season..

LTH

sutz

Reaction score
Appyhawk":me92wwtl said:
However it ends up I sure hope Pete get's the post-bye thing right. We have a genuine gauntlet of games right after that.
Anyone know our W/L record for the game following a bye week during Pete's tenure?

I know it's a helluva lot better than previously. Under Holmie it really sucked.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3e8w3vuz said:
However it ends up I sure hope Pete get's the post-bye thing right. We have a genuine gauntlet of games right after that.
Anyone know our W/L record for the game following a bye week during Pete's tenure?
In Pete’s time as head coach, the Hawks are 7-3 in the games immediately following a bye week, with only two of those games occurring at home.

2010 Wk 6 at Bears: W 23-20
2011 Wk 7 at Browns: L 6-3
2012 Wk 12 at Dolphins: L 24-21
2013 Wk 13 vs Saints: W 34-7
2014 Wk 5 at Redskins: W 27-17
2015 Wk 10 at Cardinals: L 39-32
2016 Wk 6 vs Falcons: W 26-24
2017 Wk 7 at Giants: W 24-7
2018 Wk 8 at Lions: W 28-14
2019 Wk 12 at Eagles: W 17-9

themunn

Reaction score
sc85sis":fx3f2lfc said:
Appyhawk":fx3f2lfc said:
In Pete’s time as head coach, the Hawks are 7-3 in the games immediately following a bye week, with only two of those games occurring at home.

2010 Wk 6 at Bears: W 23-20
2011 Wk 7 at Browns: L 6-3
2012 Wk 12 at Dolphins: L 24-21
2013 Wk 13 vs Saints: W 34-7
2014 Wk 5 at Redskins: W 27-17
2015 Wk 10 at Cardinals: L 39-32
2016 Wk 6 vs Falcons: W 26-24
2017 Wk 7 at Giants: W 24-7
2018 Wk 8 at Lions: W 28-14
2019 Wk 12 at Eagles: W 17-9

All three of those losses really stank too - ignoring the Browns game because Clipboard Jesus - both the Dolphins & Cardinals games we failed to hold on to 4th quarter leads, with both the offense and defense failing to do their parts in both games. Since 2015 though those have been 4 really good wins - against the NFC Champion Falcons & 3 strong road wins (2 of which were 10am starts, and in the Giants game, after going down 7 points in the 2nd quarter on a short field, scored 24 unanswered).

Divisional games are always a challenge, but I really think we've got a strong chance of making it to the Bills game 7-0.

Own The West

Reaction score
The only way I see Adams at LB is if KJ can’t handle Kittle.

We’re pretty much set for depth now with Snacks backing up Ford. I’m more worried about how we are going make room for all the people coming back in the coming weeks: Penny, Taylor, Dorsett, Gordon...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Own The West":3jpq9lz4 said:
The only way I see Adams at LB is if KJ can’t handle Kittle.

We’re pretty much set for depth now with Snacks backing up Ford. I’m more worried about how we are going make room for all the people coming back in the coming weeks: Penny, Taylor, Dorsett, Gordon...

Going to have to make some hard cuts. Willson for one is probably gone, and 2-3 cut from the practice squad as well.