Rain Shmain?

Do You Think Russ Still Cooks In The Rain Tonight?

• Absolutely. Maybe not 5 TDs but he will still be cookin' for sure.

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • I'm not sure. I too get nervous thinking about the rain conditions in regards to cookin'.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • No. Not conducive for cookin' weather. Lots of Chris Carson and the running game tonight.

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tonight, it will be rain. A pretty good soggy system is moving in and expected to stick around all day and evening. My confidence level takes a dip when it comes to Russ and the rain. However, he's on a historic pace and MVP campaign this season. Perhaps this year, Russ won't let the rain (and winds?) have as much an affect on him as it has in year's past? I've always felt that rain is Russ' kryptonite, but maybe this year is a different beast altogether. What's your level of confidence in Russ being able to cook tonight in these conditions?

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I think we should still give Russ the ball and trust him, even though it may not look as pretty as the 4 games prior. I’m more worried about Carroll reverting to his philosophy and trying to win the game in the 4th quarter. I’m guessing/expecting a very tight, close game because of this. I also don’t think the Vikings are as bad as they’ve looked so far this year.

nwHawk

Reaction score
If ever there was a time for Russ to quiet the doubters, it's tonight. At home in Prime Time against the hated ViQueens.

I'd don't expect him to light it up, but I don't think does poorly either. 230 yards and a TD and another 30 yds on the ground. I expect him to come in and play it safe due to the poor weather. I can see him throwing a pick tonight, but ultimately coming back to lead the team to victory in a close game. And in the end all that matters is the "W". Go Hawks!

RCATES

Reaction score
nwHawk":209e5in7 said:
If ever there was a time for Russ to quiet the doubters, it's tonight. At home in Prime Time against the hated ViQueens.

I'd don't expect him to light it up, but I don't think does poorly either. 230 yards and a TD and another 30 yds on the ground. I expect him to come in and play it safe due to the poor weather. I can see him throwing a pick tonight, but ultimately coming back to lead the team to victory in a close game. And in the end all that matters is the "W". Go Hawks!

If he plays like he did last week we’re in trouble. Let’s be honest Russ is not good in the rain. Crazy since he plays in Seattle. I’m not at all confident in winning tonight with this forecast. Who knows maybe Russ goes off. Or he could kill his MVP bid.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
RCATES":1cjdjaf3 said:
nwHawk":1cjdjaf3 said:

If he plays like he did last week we’re in trouble. Let’s be honest Russ is not good in the rain. Crazy since he plays in Seattle. I’m not at all confident in winning tonight with this forecast. Who knows maybe Russ goes off. Or he could kill his MVP bid.

Russ may struggle tonight, who knows, but to say he didn’t play well last week is silly. He was like 25-34 for 350+ yards and had multiple big chunk yards dropped by his receivers. He made one bad pass in the end zone that got picked.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Say what you want about Russ and the rain...
He's 10X the QB that Cousins is!
Cousins turns the ball over a lot... Even when it isn't raining! 6 picks this year so far.
They both have to play in these conditions, I think Russ will prevail.
Go Hawks!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wartooth":3l3p2moe said:
Cousins turns the ball over a lot... Even when it isn't raining! 6 picks this year so far.
Go Hawks!
My take as well..

sutz

Reaction score
He'll be fine. The whole "can't play in the rain" thing is a bit over blown. :mrgreen:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Wartooth":2096sa06 said:
Go Hawks!

Yes, Russ is 10X the QB, but unfortunately our defense makes QBs look 10X better than they actually are.

slateman77

Reaction score
Not so worried by the rain but the damn wind is blowing like crazy...I'm 120 miles south of Seattle so hopefully it's not as bad up there as it is here..?? If it is... I think we'll see short passes and a whole lot of #32...

sutz

Reaction score
slateman77":3kycw73w said:
Not so worried by the rain but the damn wind is blowing like crazy...I'm 120 miles south of Seattle so hopefully it's not as bad up there as it is here..?? If it is... I think we'll see short passes and a whole lot of #32...
I'm in Kent (15 miles south of CLink) and my forecast is showing 10-15 mph. Not too bad, I would think.

slateman77

Reaction score
sutz":26vv4eph said:
slateman77":26vv4eph said:
I'm in Kent (15 miles south of CLink) and my forecast is showing 10-15 mph. Not too bad, I would think.
That's good news..!! Thanks for the update. Been to numerous game at CLink but almost always had great weather ( Mid September ) so I don't know how the wind swirls inside the stadium. Still doubt we'll see many long balls thrown.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Seanhawk":yrkd252j said:
Wartooth":yrkd252j said:
Go Hawks!

Yes, Russ is 10X the QB, but unfortunately our defense makes QBs look 10X better than they actually are.

So does the Vikings' D :179422:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The guy I am worried about is Metcalf.

He is a dangerous weapon that is hard to shut down but the rain can certainly shut him down.

A number of his drops happened when it was wet and raining. And he had some problems holding onto a wet ball last year. A lot of his 'problem' with drops seemed to stem from that.

So this rain is concerning.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
From Accuweather.com:

Seattle, WA:

Day: Rain; breezy this afternoon. Wind: S 9 mph, Wind Gusts: 21 mph

Night: Mostly cloudy; windy with a bit of rain. Wind: SW 20 mph, Wind Gusts: 31 mph

They don't define which specific hours represent their "Day" or "Night" data but either way, it's gonna be wet and fairly windy. And yes, the winds swirl in the stadium and can have an affect on throwing and FG attempts. If Russ ends up with average stats (235yds pass, 2 TDs, 1 Int) with the win I will take it. Might not be able to separate himself from the front of the pack in leading the MVP conversation much tonight, unless of course he has some terrific MVP plays.

Steve, love ya bro, but I do not agree that the rain and Russ is an overblown phenomenon. I will be happy as a clam to prove me wrong tonight!

AgentDib

Reaction score
According to Yahoo data, Russ has played in 10 rainy games. Compared to his best weather type (61F-80F), Russ's YPA decreases by 7%, Completion% by 12%, QB Rating by 13%, Passing Yards by 1%, and Passing TDs by 6% in the rain.

Of course, most QBs show a significant drop-off in the rain as seen in the following chart.
1DUbCSuj 4aRmB7FyGEY31g

Russ has historically been below average in the rain, with twice the accuracy drop-off that the average QB experiences but only a minor decrease in yardage overall. Of course 10 games is not a very large sample size and so a good showing tonight could improve those numbers significantly.

RCATES

Reaction score
hedgehawk":3dihyjfe said:
RCATES":3dihyjfe said:
nwHawk":3dihyjfe said:

Russ may struggle tonight, who knows, but to say he didn’t play well last week is silly. He was like 25-34 for 350+ yards and had multiple big chunk yards dropped by his receivers. He made one bad pass in the end zone that got picked.

I missed the part where I said he didn’t play well. I said if he has a similar game this week we’re in trouble.

TypeSly

Reaction score
RCATES":vla7rydx said:
hedgehawk":vla7rydx said:
RCATES":vla7rydx said:
nwHawk":vla7rydx said:

I missed the part where I said he didn’t play well. I said if he has a similar game this week we’re in trouble.

Well, if you weren't implying that he didn't play well... then I missed the point of your whole post.

RCATES

Reaction score
TypeSly":3ilkzvmw said:
RCATES":3ilkzvmw said:
hedgehawk":3ilkzvmw said:
RCATES":3ilkzvmw said:

Well, if you weren't implying that he didn't play well... then I missed the point of your whole post.

Apparently you did because 90% of my post was speaking on Russ tonight in the rain.

RCATES

Reaction score
slateman77":36wjf2q4 said:
sutz":36wjf2q4 said:
slateman77":36wjf2q4 said:
That's good news..!! Thanks for the update. Been to numerous game at CLink but almost always had great weather ( Mid September ) so I don't know how the wind swirls inside the stadium. Still doubt we'll see many long balls thrown.

I’m in Kent as well and sorry for the bad news but it’s raining sideways and heavy. Not good at all. It’s always much worse wind wise at the stadium because it down by the water.