Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You guys ready to have Norton fired yet???

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • This is ridiculous.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• You may not have heard but we won, YAY!!!!!!!!
    Hockey Guy
    NET Starter

• Hockey Guy wrote:You may not have heard but we won, YAY!!!!!!!!

Yeah well kinda getting tired of last minute miracles. Not sure what the hell is going on here as Pete's forte is defense; with the secondary being his baby. Could be the weird year, but they're giving up historical yardage.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• You're getting tired of winning?

Cool story.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Starter

• Don’t think we can sustain things with this defense, but what do I know.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Myrtle Beach Hawk, Go Gators!

• Gotta admit it's really hard to believe we can be so generous defensively and still be 5-0. Sure helps to have opposing coaches go for it deep in the red zone instead of taking the points. We got 2 possessions that way tonight to win by 1. Also stopped their 2 -pt try. VERY fortunate to get this win. But we did it. Again.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• This defense is maddening. Every time we rave about benching players, they go out and do that. Jarran Reed, Benson Mayowa, Cody Barton...what do you do?
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• It’s cute that people somehow think if we just changed Defensive coordinators all would be well.
    It’s quite clear we don’t have the horses on defense to be consistent and good, no manner of coaching
    Is going to change that imo.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Hockey Guy wrote:You're getting tired of winning?

Cool story.

The D can be still be really really bad while winning.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Hockey Guy wrote:You're getting tired of winning?

Cool story.

Not what I said hot shot.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Yes
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• While I do agree there are issues defensively, our back 2 back SB’s we had soooo many close last second wins, it’s never easy in the NFL. We didn’t get beat over the top, the D came up clutch when we really needed it and we really got good pressure. Yes we got ran on, however we have Snacks coming to help tighten things up in the run game. Plus once Jamal Adams comes back we’re in even a better spot. Go Hawks!
    PNW
    NET Rookie

• Smellyman wrote:
    Hockey Guy wrote:You're getting tired of winning?

Cool story.

The D can be still be really really bad while winning.

Yeah, but if anybody thinks firing a fairly long time & well liked coach mid-season will go over well in the locker room & improve things then that person is an idiot.

Seriously, you'd have to lack common sense to advocate firing a major coach when the team is 5-0. It is one thing to say "we're struggling & we have a lot of work to do to improve week by week" but another to say "fire the coach" & think things will miraculously do a 180 on defense while keeping the team mentally together.

I guess everybody enjoyed the finger pointing ways during the LOB days.
    Last edited by JustTheTip on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Removed F-Bomb
    Hockey Guy
    NET Starter

• Dan Quinn was just let go.... he knows this team...
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Just because they won’t doesn’t mean anything for the defense. Norton HAS TO GO. Winning doesn’t make him a genius. Especially when his defense calls mostly have the dbs line up 10yards off the receivers and then drop back about another 5–10 for free 1st downs.

I’m sorry I’m tired of it, cool so they’re not getting burned in the back.. but they’re being kept on the field and giving up 1st downs in front of them... doesn’t help.

I’d rather have a more aggressive defense. Jam the Wrs, bump them off their routes throw the timing off. It would also help some of our rushers (what we do have) hit home.

Minny has had to almost rebuild their defense and they did just fine. Why? Coaching. Not lack of talent. We have the talent we see flashes of it, it’s lapses in coaching that we have a vast amount of that needs to go bye bye with Norton.
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran

• Bring in Quinn as a D consultant.
    Palpitation
    NET Bench Warmer

• JPatera76 wrote:Just because they won’t doesn’t mean anything for the defense. Norton HAS TO GO. Winning doesn’t make him a genius. Especially when his defense calls mostly have the dbs line up 10yards off the receivers and then drop back about another 5–10 for free 1st downs.

I’m sorry I’m tired of it, cool so they’re not getting burned in the back.. but they’re being kept on the field and giving up 1st downs in front of them... doesn’t help.

I’d rather have a more aggressive defense. Jam the Wrs, bump them off their routes throw the timing off. It would also help some of our rushers (what we do have) hit home.

Minny has had to almost rebuild their defense and they did just fine. Why? Coaching. Not lack of talent. We have the talent we see flashes of it, it’s lapses in coaching that we have a vast amount of that needs to go bye bye with Norton.

So Minny's defense was "just fine" and gave up 27 points.

Our defense was trash and gave up....26???

I'm certainly not happy with how our D is playing either, but lets not make strange comments along the way :)
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• This is not a defense sustainable for a deep playoff run amongst contenders.
    The Breh
    NET Starter

• The Breh wrote:This is not a defense sustainable for a deep playoff run amongst contenders.

What about a healthy defense with Jamal Adams, Snacks and company?
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    The Breh wrote:This is not a defense sustainable for a deep playoff run amongst contenders.

Today really showed a vet DT to stuff the run is def needed.

Bobby wasn't kept clean all day, LBs were just getting washed out on runs.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• JPatera76 wrote:Just because they won’t doesn’t mean anything for the defense. Norton HAS TO GO. Winning doesn’t make him a genius. Especially when his defense calls mostly have the dbs line up 10yards off the receivers and then drop back about another 5–10 for free 1st downs.

Minnesota has a defensive line.

d*ck Lebeau himself couldn't do any better here. People are just looking for the quickest possible fix and replacing one guy feels easier and quicker than replacing five.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Smellyman wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    The Breh wrote:This is not a defense sustainable for a deep playoff run amongst contenders.

Today really showed a vet DT to stuff the run is def needed.

Bobby wasn't kept clean all day, LBs were just getting washed out on runs.

Agreed.

With Russ and company, this team just needs an average defense for a deep run this year.

Not sure if our current personnel, when healthy, gives us that, but I think they could be.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:This defense is maddening. Every time we rave about benching players, they go out and do that. Jarran Reed, Benson Mayowa, Cody Barton...what do you do?

What do you do? Believe in them!

They are making plays when they have to have them... it's not perfect but it's good enough when ya have an O like the Hawks do... those guys are phenomenal! This team is phenomenal!

LTH
    LTH
    NET Veteran

• For the amount of time our D had to be out there, they did a hell of a job, yes they weren’t perfect. But they came through when we needed them. They’re improving weather you like to admit it or not. We have a bye week now and other key players are going to join us to help us even more. Overall I would like to know what the specific complaints are? The only major thing was giving up runs (we’ve been great all year against the run) but snacks and Adams are going to help. Our Dline was great pass rush wise and we didn’t get beat over the top. I’ll also be the first one to say Barton looked good and helped us. Do you think we will magically get another LOB? That’s not very realistic, especially if you want an MVP caliber and SB winning QB. Every player on the team wants to improve. We all believe and our leadership is top notch. What team would you rather have over the Hawks? I’m sure they’ll take more bandwagon fans.
    PNW
    NET Rookie

• I know folks like to drink the Haterade around here sometimes, but I would like to point out that we were only down 13 at the half. It could have been considerably worse.

:stirthepot:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• This defense sucks...
    except when they need to make a play to win the game or give the offense a chance to win the game.

In every game so far, their overall play has been substandard BUT they've made every big play they've needed to.

I still hope and pray (and think) they'll show steady improvement this year. That's all we need to have a good chance in the post-season.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:I know folks like to drink the Haterade around here sometimes, but I would like to point out that we were only down 13 at the half. It could have been considerably worse.

:stirthepot:

I think our D plays with heart and prides itself on making big plays when it really matters! They have shown that all year long... Period!

LTH
    LTH
    NET Veteran

• Min 39:28-Sea 20:32 TOP
    PNW
    NET Rookie

• The Breh wrote:This is not a defense sustainable for a deep playoff run amongst contenders.

I could not agree more!!!!!
    Hwynboy
    NET Bench Warmer

• the defense makes 3-5 key plays per game that hardly any other defense makes, then plays like absolute swiss cheese the other 95% of snaps. Can't imagine the trend is sustainable.
    ducks41468
    NET Starter

• As a couple of other have suggested: bring on Dan Quinn as a defensive consultant. There is no down side to that.
    KillerB
    NET Starter

• KillerB wrote:As a couple of other have suggested: bring on Dan Quinn as a defensive consultant. There is no down side to that.

Downside is bringing an 0-5 coach who just got fired for sucking and who’s team was garbage on D to a 5-0 team.
    PNW
    NET Rookie

• PNW wrote:
    KillerB wrote:As a couple of other have suggested: bring on Dan Quinn as a defensive consultant. There is no down side to that.

Downside is bringing an 0-5 coach who just got fired for sucking and who’s team was garbage on D to a 5-0 team.

Super weird obsession over Quinn here.

Guy has mostly been a dumpster fire with a horrific defense in Atlanta.

If we are wanting to can Norton for his performance, why on earth would be panning for Quinn after his???
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• ducks41468 wrote:the defense makes 3-5 key plays per game that hardly any other defense makes, then plays like absolute swiss cheese the other 95% of snaps. Can't imagine the trend is sustainable.

Maybe not from a stat and odds perspective but the Seahawks are not about either of those factors... what your not considering is the mentality of this team... the resilience to believe they can get it done is a huge factor and they are living up to that.. also who says they are not going to be better after the bye...new players on the D line number 33 is back.. nothing but optimism... 5-0 first time in team history... games are not won from stats games are won from heart and big time clutch plays...

LTH
    LTH
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    PNW wrote:
    KillerB wrote:As a couple of other have suggested: bring on Dan Quinn as a defensive consultant. There is no down side to that.

If we are wanting to can Norton for his performance, why on earth would be panning for Quinn after his???

Agreed!!!
    PNW
    NET Rookie

• PNW wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    PNW wrote:

Agreed!!!

Thirded.

if Norton was DC during the Quinn era, the D is most likely just as dominant. With that talent, not much had to be done and Bradley was more responsible for it if anything.

That being said I wouldn't mind a shakeup and if they think it's Quinn I hope they pull the trigger. Most likely nothing will be done til after the season though. :(

Snacks and Adams is what we have to hope for.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• PNW wrote:For the amount of time our D had to be out there, they did a hell of a job, yes they weren’t perfect. But they came through when we needed them. They’re improving weather you like to admit it or not. We have a bye week now and other key players are going to join us to help us even more. Overall I would like to know what the specific complaints are? The only major thing was giving up runs (we’ve been great all year against the run) but snacks and Adams are going to help. Our Dline was great pass rush wise and we didn’t get beat over the top. I’ll also be the first one to say Barton looked good and helped us. Do you think we will magically get another LOB? That’s not very realistic, especially if you want an MVP caliber and SB winning QB. Every player on the team wants to improve. We all believe and our leadership is top notch. What team would you rather have over the Hawks? I’m sure they’ll take more bandwagon fans.

How are you defending this defense? Its awful. I'm talking bottom of the league terrible garbage. Sure, they make a crucial play once in awhile after they have allowed themselves to be put in those positions to start with. I'm sorry, but they stunk when Adams was healthy and they will continue to stink when he comes back. Teams go up and down the field at will and average close to 500 yards a game against this defense. Wilson's ability to part seas and walk through lion dens unscathed isnt going to last. You know a defense sucks when the other team has 30 or so seconds left in the game and you're still worried its too much time. This defense is one of the worst i've ever seen in any type of organized football. Its truly awful and will be our downfall.

I dont place all the blame on Norton (oh he needs to go but its not all his fault), when Pete and the FO knew that the Dline and pass rush was the biggest weakness on the team and they did little to nothing to fix it. They deserve most of the blame.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Not a fan of Norton anymore BUT they were without Adam’s who would have brought more pressure and likely forced Cousins into another mistake or 2. Also heard on Sirius radio that Seattle was 2nd in league in takeaways???
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Not a fan of Norton anymore BUT they were without Adam’s who would have brought more pressure and likely forced Cousins into another mistake or 2. Also heard on Sirius radio that Seattle was 2nd in league in takeaways???
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• It isn't the players. It is the scheme.

We are leaving short and medium stuff wide open.

We don't want to give up big plays but that might be better.

The current approach keeps our D on the field, uses our own clock, and assures the other team is likely to score - all the while limiting touches by our offense.

Our DC is and will continue to be the problem until he is gone.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• It's 3rd down, we need to fix 3rd down scheme and tactics.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    PNW wrote:For the amount of time our D had to be out there, they did a hell of a job, yes they weren’t perfect. But they came through when we needed them. They’re improving weather you like to admit it or not. We have a bye week now and other key players are going to join us to help us even more. Overall I would like to know what the specific complaints are? The only major thing was giving up runs (we’ve been great all year against the run) but snacks and Adams are going to help. Our Dline was great pass rush wise and we didn’t get beat over the top. I’ll also be the first one to say Barton looked good and helped us. Do you think we will magically get another LOB? That’s not very realistic, especially if you want an MVP caliber and SB winning QB. Every player on the team wants to improve. We all believe and our leadership is top notch. What team would you rather have over the Hawks? I’m sure they’ll take more bandwagon fans.

How are you defending this defense? Its awful. I'm talking bottom of the league terrible garbage. Sure, they make a crucial play once in awhile after they have allowed themselves to be put in those positions to start with. I'm sorry, but they stunk when Adams was healthy and they will continue to stink when he comes back. Teams go up and down the field at will and average close to 500 yards a game against this defense. Wilson's ability to part seas and walk through lion dens unscathed isnt going to last. You know a defense sucks when the other team has 30 or so seconds left in the game and you're still worried its too much time. This defense is one of the worst i've ever seen in any type of organized football. Its truly awful and will be our downfall.

I dont place all the blame on Norton (oh he needs to go but its not all his fault), when Pete and the FO knew that the Dline and pass rush was the biggest weakness on the team and they did little to nothing to fix it. They deserve most of the blame.

I remember a certain young LOB D giving up a ton of yards in 30seconds to give up the game winning field goal in the playoffs. You must have forgot. I said they are improving, I also wanted actual specific complaints. For the TOP to be almost MIN 40 min to SEA 20 mins we held up well. All I see is the D improving every game, other than the runs we gave up, but Snacks and Adams are on the way to help any run issues. We created sack fumbles, sacks, pressures, pass deflections and interceptions when we needed it. Another thing I don’t get is how everyone is comparing a still then rookie deal #3 with a heavily D loaded roster and salary cap to this current roster with Russ’s huge deal, it’s not the same. Did you forget about the salary cap? Negative Nancy’s coming out the wood works after the first 5-0 start in team history is laughable.
    PNW
    NET Rookie

• I don't think it's time for Norton to go. He's doing the best with what he has to work with. Tre Flowers anyone?!!

The Defense played like: A Sieve. Swiss Cheese.
    They are 32nd out of 32. Last place.
    ...but,
    They have Heart!
    They make clutch plays when they need to!

Also, we have Russell Wilson. The most amazing QB in the NFL who has a good supporting cast on the Offense.

Riding the roller coaster of highs and lows through the game is not good for your blood pressure, but the Seahawks Won.
    That's a capital double-u. "W"

The Seahawks are 5-0 for the first time in history and next week is a bye.

They need some work to tighten up the massive yardage other offenses are getting.
    I hope they can figure that out during the bye week because after that we will be in for many Division games and the NFC West is a tough division to play in.

I would prefer they get their wins in a more decisive manner, but I'll take a W any game.
    Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Even at the height of our defense's greatness, they were prone to over run plays, get out of position and free lance.

Now we're seeing the same things, but with inferior talent. So instead of giving up 1-2 huge plays a game because of bad gap or coverage responsibility, we're seeing it 8-10 times a game.

Does this mean it's Norton's fault? No, but he's obviously not effective in film review sessions and practice making sure these things don't continue to happen.

Long story short, no you don't fire one of your coordinators at 5-0, but I'd be perfectly happy bringing in Quinn as an advisor to help Norton.........then in the off season if Pete still thinks Norton isn't a good fit? Quinn slides in.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Norton is here to stay for the season I am afraid to say.

But that said the real indictment of Norton is that the D is playing a level that is less than the sum of its parts. While there are no All-Pros on the DL and we definitely lack a premier edge rusher, the players on the DL are not terrible in the least. We have an All Pro MLB, and a Pro-bowl OLB. RCB is a Pro Bowl alt, Diggs is more than adequate and with Adams is All-Pro. Ugo is looking good at Nickel. We are really only weak in 2 areas LCB (if Dunbar is available then we are adequate) and EDGE. So maybe the D is top ten, but it should not be bottom 10 either, never mind DEAD ASS LAST!

It has to be Scheme Scheme and Scheme. the DC is responsible for this. But the problem is that say PC recognizes the problem at DC, shouldn't he himself, the Defensive guru that everyone thinks him to be just take over the Defense? Hell maybe he has and is just as bad at it which really wouldn't surprise me.

As far as I am concerned the Seahawks have been the team they have been largely based on the amazing talent they amassed in the early 2010's. RW is the best offensive player in the game (top 3 if you disagree). Wags is not only a talented player but a great on field coach. PC is a good coach but not a guy who does more with less. That has been RW's job and he has done it expertly from day one.
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Here's my 2 cents, I think not having a preseason has hurt the defense so far this year. I think they will get better as the season goes along
    Jayburd14
    NET Starter

• Jayburd14 wrote:Here's my 2 cents, I think not having a preseason has hurt the defense so far this year. I think they will get better as the season goes along

I would have bought this last week after the defense looked pretty good and improving during the Miami game. But after last night, I saw regression, not progression.

Hopefully with Adams back and Snacks in the D-line rotation it'll help. But this defense scares the hell out of me, I don't want them to be the reason we don't go deep into the playoffs.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Jayburd14 wrote:Here's my 2 cents, I think not having a preseason has hurt the defense so far this year. I think they will get better as the season goes along

I would have bought this last week after the defense looked pretty good and improving during the Miami game. But after last night, I saw regression, not progression.

Hopefully with Adams back and Snacks in the D-line rotation it'll help. But this defense scares the hell out of me, I don't want them to be the reason we don't go deep into the playoffs.

I don't see very many teams in the NFL playing good defense, especially in the NFC.

We are hardly alone.

Shootout city so far.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:

Our D was getting terrorized even with Adams.
    Is Brooks going to make that much of a difference?
    Snacks in whatever shape he is ?
    We don't know those answers but we're all dying to find out.
    The Breh
    NET Starter

• Palpitation wrote:Bring in Quinn as a D consultant.

Yes.
    capncrunch
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information