0-7 offensive 3rd down conversion rate

renofox

Reaction score
and still got the win.

How does that even happen!?!?!

mikeak

Reaction score
2/2 on 4th down :)

With that people blaming Zimmer for going for it ignores that they got two TDs from going for it on fourth down in this game.

This was a game that ended on fourth down plays. One at each end of field

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
mikeak":1d3nm1tu said:
2/2 on 4th down :)

With that people blaming Zimmer for going for it ignores that they got two TDs from going for it on fourth down in this game.

This was a game that ended on fourth down plays. One at each end of field

4th down conversions
Vikings 2/3
Seahawks 2/2

You're right. The 1 miss by the Vikings gave the Seahawks the ball back with the chance to win the game.
The 2 makes by the Seahawks were both on the game-winning drive.
Good call!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
The reason you win with such a 3rd down comp. % is because you stay OUT of 3rd down situations in the first place on enough drives.

I would love to see more of that.

D

DomeHawk

Ad Hawk":2pb4s4t4 said:
The reason you win with such a 3rd down comp. % is because you stay OUT of 3rd down situations in the first place on enough drives.

Yeah, that stat is out of context when you are getting 1st downs on 1st and 2nd downs.

But in all fairness, we weren't great at it yesterday.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Our offense wasn't consistent last night. Our D was! They consistently played tough on the goal line, like they have most of this year. But they can't stop anything outside the red zone. So I guess we're good in a phone booth but in space...not so much.
Neal was great again last night. Kid is a baller!

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Appyhawk":34oo0d0w said:
Our offense wasn't consistent last night. Our D was! They consistently played tough on the goal line, like they have most of this year. But they can't stop anything outside the red zone. So I guess we're good in a phone booth but in space...not so much.
Neal was great again last night. Kid is a baller!

Of course they can make stops outside of the red zone. 3 times in particular basically won the game. Youve got to give the defense credit where credit is due.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Not uncommon to have a bend-but-don't-break Defense. And yes it is harder to move the ball deep inside the red zone because the field is shorter and the D has less territory to cover. That said, the Hawks do this better than other teams.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":30ztw109 said:
So I guess we're good in a phone booth but in space...not so much.

This does not correlate well to yesterday's game.

They gave up three TDs in the red zone.

They only got one stop in the red zone. The two field goals were outside of it.

They bailed themselves out by getting two turnovers and making that one good stop at the end. But they 26 points, gave up almost 450 yards, and spent 2/3rds of the game on the field. And this wasn't primarily the offense's fault; they simply could not get themselves off the field in the first half.

This defense got lucky or did things right at the most dire moments with a problematic defense a lot last season and won. The same thing is happening this year, but the offense is scoring more and Wilson is more locked in.

It's fun but hopefully something changes on defense. They consistently allow other teams to do whatever they want. Luck is critical but at some point they're going to need to play decent to good.

And obviously the run defense isn't magical like so many were mentioning. Teams had just been chucking it a lot.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1d5r455n said:

They did that 11 times this game if my count is correct.