Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4th and 10 deep ball to Metcalf.

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
4th and 10 deep ball to Metcalf.
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:48 am
  • https://www.nfl.com/videos/wilson-locat ... -10-pickup

Watch the DB over run that ball by 5 yards. He has his eyes on it the entire time but just keeps running and leaves DK wide open for the catch. My only explanation is that Wilson's moon ball is hard to track for players that haven't seen it before, like it looks like it will travel further and then just drops from the sky.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Re: 4th and 10 deep ball to Metcalf.
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:27 am
  • The ball probably would have gone farther in the air if it hadn't been soaking wet. I noticed more than a few passes drop out early.
    BChawkfan
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:40 am
  • That play was incredible. Good throw by Wilson, great ball tracking and leaping snag by DK. That was beautiful
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am
  • Watching it live and until you pointed this out, I thought that the DB just made a horrible play on the ball - Now looking back, I see that he was in fact playing the ball and was setting himself up to intercept where the ball was going to...he just didn't factor in how much taller DK was than him and how high DK could leap - this is one situation where the DB may have been better playing DK than the ball.
    Chrome_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 am
  • Watching live I was like "WTF is the DB doing".

Pretty happy he "misplayed" it but I think DK was coming down with that ball anyways.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:55 am
  • DK read that ball in the air and knew it was going to drop. He did a stop and jump. The defender didn't. That type pass is thrown like a frisbee where you throw it tip up. Once that leading tip comes down so does the ball.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:03 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:https://www.nfl.com/videos/wilson-locates-metcalf-downfield-for-clutch-fourth-and-10-pickup

Watch the DB over run that ball by 5 yards. He has his eyes on it the entire time but just keeps running and leaves DK wide open for the catch. My only explanation is that Wilson's moon ball is hard to track for players that haven't seen it before, like it looks like it will travel further and then just drops from the sky.

you are right!. Crazy. Looks to me that when the DB saw the ball in the air he completely forgot there was another player also trying to catch the ball. HAHA. Lots of credit to DK for adjusting the route in order to high point the ball instead of continuing to go to where the ball was going to come down. DK is no MEGATROM. He is F'ing OPTIMUS PRIME. That should be his nickname!
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:05 am
  • see my thread where Travis Homer throws a key block for Russ on that play.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:39 am
  • It def. died a little bit. But the way Russ puts so much air under it allows a beast like DK to adjust and attack the ball. The corner was so worried about getting beat deep, he kind of played it that way.
    And at the end of the 3rd quarter, the Vikings got incredibly lucky that Moore didn't come down with that TD.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:44 am
  • When the camera got Metcalf and the defender in view, the defender was so far off I cringed for a second expecting a flag to fly, because for there to be that much separation my initial thought was DK pushed off.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:52 am
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:When the camera got Metcalf and the defender in view, the defender was so far off I cringed for a second expecting a flag to fly, because for there to be that much separation my initial thought was DK pushed off.

I was more worried about that on the Dissly TD, where the defender fell down. I swore I saw a slight pushoff from Diss, but no laundry.

:bitenails:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:https://www.nfl.com/videos/wilson-locates-metcalf-downfield-for-clutch-fourth-and-10-pickup

Nah after seeing Clinton-Dix freeze and gift Seattle a 2 pt conversion in the NFCCG, seeing Blair Walsh shank a 20 yard FG, seeing that DB not even try to contest that pass to DK Metcalf, and countless other plays over the years - there is no explanation. It's all luck, but at some point you have to say that somehow Seattle has acquired that luck because it just keeps happening.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 am
  • sutz wrote:
    HawkRiderFan wrote:When the camera got Metcalf and the defender in view, the defender was so far off I cringed for a second expecting a flag to fly, because for there to be that much separation my initial thought was DK pushed off.

I was more worried about that on the Dissly TD, where the defender fell down. I swore I saw a slight pushoff from Diss, but no laundry.

:bitenails:

Now that you mention it, I was concerned on that one too.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:32 am
  • That's cute, Rams fan. Yeah, it's only luck that they have won a ridiculous amount of one score games the last 2 seasons. Let alone most of Russ' career. :roll:
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:40 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:https://www.nfl.com/videos/wilson-locates-metcalf-downfield-for-clutch-fourth-and-10-pickup

Nah after seeing Clinton-Dix freeze and gift Seattle a 2 pt conversion in the NFCCG, seeing Blair Walsh shank a 20 yard FG, seeing that DB not even try to contest that pass to DK Metcalf, and countless other plays over the years - there is no explanation. It's all luck, but at some point you have to say that somehow Seattle has acquired that luck because it just keeps happening.

if you think other teams around the league haven't had that kind of fortune too, you haven't been paying attention
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:26 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:https://www.nfl.com/videos/wilson-locates-metcalf-downfield-for-clutch-fourth-and-10-pickup

What do you call it when you commit obvious pass interference but don't draw a flag, essentially gifting your team an undeserved SB berth?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:That's cute, Rams fan. Yeah, it's only luck that they have won a ridiculous amount of one score games the last 2 seasons. Let alone most of Russ' career. :roll:

I didn't say that. Just that Seattle seems to always have this type of good fortune on their side
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:33 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:

What do you call it when you commit obvious pass interference but don't draw a flag, essentially gifting your team an undeserved SB berth?

Also luck?

Similar to how an onside kick bouncing off of an opponents hands is pure luck and could also lead to an undeserved Super Bowl berth?

Ah but in both cases the teams went to overtime and earned the victory there, so maybe it wasn't just luck in both cases.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:34 am
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:

if you think other teams around the league haven't had that kind of fortune too, you haven't been paying attention

Probably true, but I definitely don't pay as much attention to teams outside the NFC West.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 am
  • Sounds just like the media types, Ram. Hawks win a game, it's fortunate and/or luck.
    Other teams win games, it's a gutsy performance. Denial doesn't change the fact that the Hawks get the job done.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:49 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:Nah after seeing Clinton-Dix freeze and gift Seattle a 2 pt conversion in the NFCCG, seeing Blair Walsh shank a 20 yard FG, seeing that DB not even try to contest that pass to DK Metcalf, and countless other plays over the years - there is no explanation. It's all luck, but at some point you have to say that somehow Seattle has acquired that luck because it just keeps happening.

You know what they say...the harder they work, the luckier they get. :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:55 pm
  • We drafted Wilson in the third round and Luck went to Indy. Difference period.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:55 am
  • I've had more than one coach tell me "you make your own luck".
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:

Also luck?

Similar to how an onside kick bouncing off of an opponents hands is pure luck and could also lead to an undeserved Super Bowl berth?

That GB TE screwed up. He was supposed to block and let Jordy catch the Onside kick. Luck? No, it was great Coaching by the Special Teams Coach who knew GB's tendencies, and a great onside kick by Hauschka who kicked the ball where it went 10 yards, but did not go directly to Jordy Nelson, thus causing the nearest, inexperienced player to try and make a play on it. It was also ST Coach Schneider putting the tall WR, Chris, in position to come down with the ball.

Like several here have said, luck is made by practice and hard work. The ST practiced, the throw by the punter to the Tackle Eligible had been practiced. Maybe the only bad luck were Russell's interceptions?

The Seahawks are 15 - 1 in single score games 2019 - 2020. That's not luck, that's Pete's Mantra over and over of "You can't win the game in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter." AND a combination of Russell Wilson having the same kind of "Never Quit" philosophy. RW believes he's always going to win, and his fellow players believe in him. Not true with the other QBs in the league.

Now, take the Chargers on the other hand...they've been through 3 QBs, yet still manage to lose in the 4th quarter after big leads. What would you rather have? A big lead early, start coasting, then lose in the end? Or a strong team full of fight that can pull it out, no matter what?

(I think Anthony Lynn is a great guy, but he needs to go. After watching Hard Knocks, he's just too player friendly. Like Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn, a great coordinator, but not a HC.)
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:57 am
  • Yeah, they are just so "lucky" to win game after game after game. All luck. :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:

Also luck?

Ah but in both cases the teams went to overtime and earned the victory there, so maybe it wasn't just luck in both cases.

It was lucky for Greenbay to have 3 picks that bounced off Kearse hands
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:03 am
  • The funny thing is when a team like the Patriots win close games all the time it's cause they "do the little things" or cause of coaching. Yet with Seattle some naysayers like to say it's luck. Speaking of the Pats, there's a list of things that have worked out in their favour with teams making mistakes that have allowed them to win (not mentioning the big one that hurts us the most)
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:44 am
  • This ^^^
    Hawks win the game vs. the Rams on a missed FG and it's built up by everyone as "lucky"
    Monday night, the Saints win the exact same way, on a missed FG. It is built as "gutsy"
    Come on, you have 60 minutes to score more damn points and/or make more plays.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:27 am
  • Ramsfan,

You know that if the Seahawks beating GB in that playoff game that sent us to the SB was 'luck'...it was terrible luck...right?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:55 am

BChawkfan wrote:The ball probably would have gone farther in the air if it hadn't been soaking wet. I noticed more than a few passes drop out early.

The last two weeks Russell hasn't been as "on" with his throws as the first few games. That said, I think there's a lot of merit to the first point, those moon balls drop pretty hard. I think it's a bit understated how there are a lot of different ways to throw a ball to strategically give the playmaker (DK) the best chance possible to catch the ball and to also give the defender a worse chance. It's not just about throwing the ball long, it's where and how it's thrown. I definitely think DK was more used to that moon ball throw then the DB. It was pretty sweet :) And I think speaks to a really good chemistry and understanding between the pass catchers and Russ.

Speaking to that, the chemistyr has been awesome! They must have worked out a lot more or something because there are very few misreads. David Moore had one or two, but otherwise it's been pretty on and Russ just trying to get throws in tight windows and throwing where the pass catcher is the only one who can have a chance to catch. Seeing the ball leave Russ's hands before Lockett, DK, and Olsen are still a good three or four paces from the target, and sometimes before they are even turned aorund, that's pretty sweet.

:)
    byau
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:16 pm
  • The ridiculous irony of his post. The Rams were literally HANDED a Super Bowl birth on maybe the worst non-call in playoff history. But let's go ahead and start calling other teams "lucky" :?
    The Rams don't even make it to the Super Bowl without that incredibly LUCKY non-call. He blasted the WR while the ball was in the air AND with his back to the ball.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:58 pm
  • Ramfan128 wrote:Nah after seeing Clinton-Dix freeze and gift Seattle a 2 pt conversion in the NFCCG, seeing Blair Walsh shank a 20 yard FG, seeing that DB not even try to contest that pass to DK Metcalf, and countless other plays over the years - there is no explanation. It's all luck, but at some point you have to say that somehow Seattle has acquired that luck because it just keeps happening.

You should tell the trolls at the 49ers Web Zone this. At some point, luck isn't luck, it's being damned good and having it pay off more frequently than others. Look at Tom Brady...all but one of his Super Bowl rings was decided on one play I think, right? Yet, they don't call him lucky.....

I'd say some players are just so good they make their own luck more than others. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:51 pm
  • Chrome_Seahawk wrote:Watching it live and until you pointed this out, I thought that the DB just made a horrible play on the ball - Now looking back, I see that he was in fact playing the ball and was setting himself up to intercept where the ball was going to...he just didn't factor in how much taller DK was than him and how high DK could leap - this is one situation where the DB may have been better playing DK than the ball.

This. The league still underestimates DK's athleticism. Eventually he'll be doubled (maybe tripled) every play.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:34 am
  • Maulbert wrote:What do you call it when you commit obvious pass interference but don't draw a flag, essentially gifting your team an undeserved SB berth?

I call it Golden Tate pushing off for Wail Mary vs Green Bay on Monday night. Clear OPI before the legit catch. But Hawks didn't make the Owl that year, lost to Atlanta that year, IIRC, in the divisional round.

FYI, Vikings coach Zimmer said, in an interview, he expected the ball to be intercepted, when he saw the throw.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:29 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:What do you call it when you commit obvious pass interference but don't draw a flag, essentially gifting your team an undeserved SB berth?

I call it Golden Tate pushing off for Wail Mary vs Green Bay on Monday night. Clear OPI before the legit catch. But Hawks didn't make the Owl that year, lost to Atlanta that year, IIRC, in the divisional round.

FYI, Vikings coach Zimmer said, in an interview, he expected the ball to be intercepted, when he saw the throw.

What does any of that have to do with the Rams committing DPI against the Saints 2 years ago?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 am
  • He's coming out calling the Hawks lucky for their wins. I just find it funny, considering they were handed a Super Bowl birth on a crap non-call. If that's not lucky, I don't know what is.
    Never mind. Can't post anything w/out people getting worked up these days.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:39 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:He's coming out calling the Hawks lucky for their wins. I just find it funny, considering they were handed a Super Bowl birth on a crap non-call. If that's not lucky, I don't know what is.
    Never mind. Can't post anything w/out people getting worked up these days.

How about just this year when a dramatic jerking back of the head by Ramsey draws an offensive PI call on a play where the Cowboys at minimum got into range to tie the game in the opener. Pretty lucky that the ref threw that flag when it could easily have stayed in the pocket.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 am
  • Wandering off topic, guys. :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 am
  • It's easier for a WR to adjust to an under thrown ball.. it also brings into play pass interference... not something you want to do a lot, but on 4th down it increases the chances of extending the drive.
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:17 am
  • Sorry Sutz, noted :mrgreen:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:24 am
  • It’s called trusting your teammate to make a play.
    It’s earned by hours upon hours of hard work and dedication.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:28 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Ramfan128 wrote:Nah after seeing Clinton-Dix freeze and gift Seattle a 2 pt conversion in the NFCCG, seeing Blair Walsh shank a 20 yard FG, seeing that DB not even try to contest that pass to DK Metcalf, and countless other plays over the years - there is no explanation. It's all luck, but at some point you have to say that somehow Seattle has acquired that luck because it just keeps happening.

You should tell the trolls at the 49ers Web Zone this. At some point, luck isn't luck, it's being damned good and having it pay off more frequently than others. Look at Tom Brady...all but one of his Super Bowl rings was decided on one play I think, right? Yet, they don't call him lucky.....

I'd say some players are just so good they make their own luck more than others. :)

True on all points. The same fools over on the Denialzone still claim the same thing. They’ve been doing it since 2012.
    But the again these are the same goofballs that at one time thought the Kraepper and JimmyGlass were better than Russ.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:31 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:It’s called trusting your teammate to make a play.
    It’s earned by hours upon hours of hard work and dedication.

And in large part it's about just flat out not giving up. It's the old cliche about play to the whistle. Game wise it means play to the final whistle. That's the team mantra and it pays off in winning close games.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:12 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:What do you call it when you commit obvious pass interference but don't draw a flag, essentially gifting your team an undeserved SB berth?

What does any of that have to do with the Rams committing DPI against the Saints 2 years ago?

Another example of an uncalled PI that directly affected a game's outcome. At least it involved the Hawks and the same QB who threw the 4th-and-10 ball.

Plus it's so much more fun to remember that night and that moment. Also helping to solidify the branding of that play as "WAIL Mary". The Packer fan tears and wailing over that game have been so delicious for years.

So exactly how is your concern over a DPI involving two non-Hawks teams two years ago especially relevant to Metcalf's 4th and 10 catch?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:58 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:

Another example of an uncalled PI that directly affected a game's outcome. At least it involved the Hawks and the same QB who threw the 4th-and-10 ball.

Plus it's so much more fun to remember that night and that moment. Also helping to solidify the branding of that play as "WAIL Mary". The Packer fan tears and wailing over that game have been so delicious for years.

So exactly how is your concern over a DPI involving two non-Hawks teams two years ago especially relevant to Metcalf's 4th and 10 catch?

It wasn't. I was calling Ramfan128 on his $h!t, and you seemed to take issue with it. Why don't you read the whole conversation instead of going after me?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information