Coverage Sacks

tersal

Reaction score
What is with so many coverage sacks this season? Perhaps the team has gotten bomb happy. Well after the Vikings game the team has to adjust. Love the let Russ Cook production but perhaps time to implement more of the power run game to keep safeties closer to line of scrimmage.

Own The West

Reaction score
Minnesota was playing a lot of cover 2 with two high safeties to take away our deep balls.

If you look at those sacks where Russ just stands there dumbfounded until someone cleans him up, there's 2-3 guys sandwiched between safeties and a line of CB and LB about 20-30 yards down field with nothing in between.

On a couple of those there was an outlet which Russ didn't use. I also noticed that guys would finish their pattern then break into a jog instead of working back to their QB. And lastly, Russ would have an alley and 20 yards of green in front of him and choose to stand there like a deer in headlights instead of running.

We were definitely off this game. It was frustrating and ugly most the way through. Russ didn't know where to go with the football like it was his first game with Schotty all over again, and then there were a bunch of passes he just missed which is weird for him.

I'm happy to get through this 'preseason' 5-0. I'll be interested to see what kind of team emerges after the bye.

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
Own The West":c1vyjqo3 said:
Minnesota was playing a lot of cover 2 with two high safeties to take away our deep balls.

If you look at those sacks where Russ just stands there dumbfounded until someone cleans him up, there's 2-3 guys sandwiched between safeties and a line of CB and LB about 20-30 yards down field with nothing in between.

On a couple of those there was an outlet which Russ didn't use. I also noticed that guys would finish their pattern then break into a jog instead of working back to their QB. And lastly, Russ would have an alley and 20 yards of green in front of him and choose to stand there like a deer in headlights instead of running.

We were definitely off this game. It was frustrating and ugly most the way through. Russ didn't know where to go with the football like it was his first game with Schotty all over again, and then there were a bunch of passes he just missed which is weird for him.

I'm happy to get through this 'preseason' 5-0. I'll be interested to see what kind of team emerges after the bye.

Will probably see that defense again so need to go over that and do better next time.

John63

Reaction score
Pretty simple, we went back to the same old same old, send every long, and they were ready. The supposed check down was not open or there was not a throwing lane, and there was not place for him to run in most cases. 2nd half we started moving Wilson some, and then going back to the quick passing attack And mixing in the long ball, and it worked. Also, once agian on the game winning drive when Wilson is calling the plays we move the ball at will.

the system that works best for us is short quick passing, and the mixing in the long ball along and the run, we went away from it for the 1st half and did not adjust till the 2nd half.

keasley45

Reaction score
tersal":apappoh9 said:
Own The West":apappoh9 said:

Will probably see that defense again so need to go over that and do better next time.

i think we just went in with a scripted first 15 that assumed we'd be able to run better than we did and that the Vikes would be forced to drop their safeties to stop us. They didnt, and we kept calling plays that tried to throw right into their strength. The formula was smash mouth running and big play pass. Except the run wasnt clicking and the passes we had setup were big gainers. Felt a little like they maybe got a bit overconfident (and stubborn) in the passing game being able to just gash and dash and when it didnt, they just didnt adjust quickly enough. Didnt help that we only had the ball for 9 minutes in the first half. They for sure werent playing from the short to mid passing game playbook.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":1ilk0nr9 said:
Pretty simple, we went back to the same old same old, send every long, and they were ready. The supposed check down was not open or there was not a throwing lane, and there was not place for him to run in most cases. 2nd half we started moving Wilson some, and then going back to the quick passing attack And mixing in the long ball, and it worked. Also, once agian on the game winning drive when Wilson is calling the plays we move the ball at will.

the system that works best for us is short quick passing, and the mixing in the long ball along and the run, we went away from it for the 1st half and did not adjust till the 2nd half.

agree 100%. but I dont fault them for drawing up a plan that was run heavy. The weather kind of dictated that to them i think. And lets face it, we can all get high on Russ dropping dimes all day but at some point you have to sharpen all of the tools in your shed. Particularly with a defense that allows opposing teams to just possess the ball for 65% of the game. They just figured it would eventually work and it didnt. i odnt think it was a return to the good ol days. They had 9 minutes of posession in the first half - very little time to adjust.

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":q1qga6sr said:
John63":q1qga6sr said:

agree 100%. but I dont fault them for drawing up a plan that was run heavy. The weather kind of dictated that to them i think. And lets face it, we can all get high on Russ dropping dimes all day but at some point you have to sharpen all of the tools in your shed. Particularly with a defense that allows opposing teams to just possess the ball for 65% of the game. They just figured it would eventually work and it didnt. i odnt think it was a return to the good ol days. They had 9 minutes of posession in the first half - very little time to adjust.

I don't fault them for trying that plan, I fault them for waiting till 2nd half to adjust though.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The bombs away, high risk, high rewards plan that worked over the first four games won't always work, especially with two deep safeties, and in rainy weather. Sometimes just get into 3rd and manageable - whether via power run or short passing game.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Own The West":tg5xc4qe said:

I think you NAILED the biggest problem we have to fix moving forward, which is using outlets more efficiently. Back in his prime, Brady would virtually spike the ball at the feet of a running back, but since he's in the vicinity, it isn't grounding. I've seen at least five times that he used this to avoid sacks of 5+ yds. I know with Russ it's feast or famine, with a lot of feasting, but at some point we gotta avoid at least 1 of those 10 yard sacks.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
At some point, you have to start displaying trust in your 6'4" 230-lb man mountain and give him a chance to make a play.

He has more vertical than anyone on the field. He's a big, strong, physical guy who can go up and bring down a football. He may never truly be "covered".

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":201mnu96 said:
The bombs away, high risk, high rewards plan that worked over the first four games won't always work, especially with two deep safeties, and in rainy weather. Sometimes just get into 3rd and manageable - whether via power run or short passing game.

ahh we were not high risk high reward, we had a quick hitting passing game that took shots. Yesterday we did not till the 2nd half. That was the difference.

John63

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":12wmlkde said:
At some point, you have to start displaying trust in your 6'4" 230-lb man mountain and give him a chance to make a play.

He has more vertical than anyone on the field. He's a big, strong, physical guy who can go up and bring down a football. He may never truly be "covered".

and we did, but again are game plan in the first half was not good., it was the old run, and throw long. 2nd half we did some quick hitters and runs that drew safeties up, and then we hit our long stuff. That is what worked in the first 4 games, for some reason they went away form it.

John63

Reaction score
Optimus25":1c0hwqth said:
Own The West":1c0hwqth said:

I think you NAILED the biggest problem we have to fix moving forward, which is using outlets more efficiently. Back in his prime, Brady would virtually spike the ball at the feet of a running back, but since he's in the vicinity, it isn't grounding. I've seen at least five times that he used this to avoid sacks of 5+ yds. I know with Russ it's feast or famine, with a lot of feasting, but at some point we gotta avoid at least 1 of those 10 yard sacks.

The out let the announces showed time and time again was covered? AS to throwing it away, AS to throwing it away or not, alot depends on son down, distance and situation. on 3rd and long and out of FG range why not try and make a play. Also, again if they were not all running long slow developing routes this would not have mattered. There was 1 sack He took I thought he should have thrown it away. The others down and distance made it not really a big deal/

sc85sis

Reaction score
Russell has more leeway than ever to change plays, so we won’t always know whether a bad play was his call or Schotty’s. He does have a tendency to try to extend plays and look for the deep pass, though. I do wish at times he would just run it or through it away. However, trying to extend the play has worked more often than not, so we can’t complain too much.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nice to see that they didn't give up a sack in the 2nd half. 1st half was hard to watch, to say the least.

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
Own The West":9t7gmpxj said:

I do not have All 22 film but Russ has never shown reluctance to take the check down or run when there. I hope he is not getting bomb happy none the less he came through and won the game they will clean this up. They won one on an off day will take it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":21av6ewm said:

KJ weighs more that 230 lbs. :smilingalien: LOL That one handed High Point Interception was a thing of beauty.