My observations from last nights thriller - and a question

TraderGary

Reaction score
First just let me say that I'm as big a Hawks fan as anyone, and have been from day one of the franchise. And I’m absolutely thrilled that we won last night, and ecstatic to be 5-0 going into the bye. And with the extra week, hopefully we get some people healthy like Jamal Adams and Dunbar, and work snacks Harrison into the rotation.

That being said, I've got some questions and some things I need to get off my chest, and if you want to call me a Debbie-Downer after a big win, that’s fine, I’ve got no problem with it. But there are things I fail to understand about Pete Carroll’s schemes, and maybe some of you can offer a different perspective.

For starters, I thought Zimmer had the perfect game plan against the Hawks on both sides of the ball. I think we were terribly outcoached and I was troubled we didn't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball in the first half.

Let’s start with the offense. The Hawks love the deep ball and everyone knows it. So the Vikings come out and play cover-2 to guard against the long passes that Russ is so good at. So instead of running crossing routes in front of their safeties, or seam routes or comeback routes, all designed to take advantage of the defense they were employing, we play right into their hands by consistently running 3 receivers deep, which their defense was specifically designed to stop! We did this the entire first half and we all saw the result. Schotty has been calling great games this season, but last nights play-calling was complete BS based on the defense the Vikings were employing.

Now for the defense. First, let me just say that giving up two separate 97-yard drives to anyone is an embarrassment. But giving up two separate 97-yard drives to a very mediocre QB like Cousins is inexcusable.

It's the same old thing with Pete Carroll and his ridiculous and ultra-conservative “bend-but-don’t-break” defensive schemes. Give up the easy underneath stuff but keep everything in front and don't get beat deep. As a result, we make it far too easy for teams to convert 3rd downs and march right down the field. I have zero confidence in this defense getting off the field on 3rd downs against anyone.

We can't get off the field on 3rd down because we consistently give up the easy underneath stuff in the name of guarding against the big play over the top. Without exaggeration, it's just a simple pitch-and-catch for the QB/receiver. It's a terribly flawed scheme. For a defensive minded coach like PC, it boggles the mind.

I hope someone can talk me off the ledge because I fail to see how allowing teams easy first downs and marching right down the field with little resistance is better than playing more aggressively and risking a possible big play over the top. Please, someone help me understand this because this drives me absolutely insane each and every week. I think I need therapy. :lol: What am I missing? Does anyone have a different perspective on this?

We're 5-0 for the first time, and I absolutely love it! But that 5-0 is despite the defense, not because of it. Against teams in our division, it's going to bite us squarely in the ass if they don't adjust their schemes. Playing 5 to 10 yards off receivers with our corners bailing out pre-snap on 3rd and 7 is not going to get it done against anyone. Had we not opened up the offense, we would be getting crushed! Russ is carrying this team and I personally think PC is overrated and often gets outcoached like he did last night.

Thank you for reading.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We have an opportunistic Defense that will get better. We have plenty of talent and some super stars that will settle in. They won us the NE game, the 4th down vs the vikings was giant too.

The vikings basically had the ball for 75% and our D only gave up 26 points to one of the best running teams in the NFL

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1qeu9z1i said:
We have an opportunistic Defense that will get better. We have plenty of talent and some super stars that will settle in. They won us the NE game, the 4th down vs the vikings was giant too.

The vikings basically had the ball for 75% and our D only gave up 26 points to one of the best running teams in the NFL

And that actually speaks to my point. The Vikings had the ball 75% of the time! And why is that? It's because of our ultra-soft zone coverage schemes allowing easy pitch-and-catch 3rd down conversions for the opposing QB because we'd rather give up easy 3rd down conversions and allow the opposing team to move up and down the field than give up something over the top. Logically it makes absolutely zero sense!

My hope is that Adams will get healthy during the bye and they will make some adjustments to the scheme. If not, we're going to get torched by the good teams like the Rams, and will be one-and-done in the playoffs once again.

Palpitation

Reaction score
I think Cousins is better than you are giving him credit, so you can take a step back from the ledge for that reason alone.

The critical thing our D is missing is pressure, which could/should improve when Adams, Brooks, Green & Taylor are active. Snacks also could provide some help if he requires double teams. Amadi has shown he has some chops and Neal appears to be good depth at the position.

None of these are sure bets to come to fruition (except that Adams definitely makes our D better)...but if you are looking for hope, I think these are all reasonable to consider.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Palpitation":34p8qi98 said:
I think Cousins is better than you are giving him credit, so you can take a step back from the ledge for that reason alone.

The critical thing our D is missing is pressure, which could/should improve when Adams, Brooks, Green & Taylor are active. Snacks also could provide some help if he requires double teams. Amadi has shown he has some chops and Neal appears to be good depth at the position.

None of these are sure bets to come to fruition (except that Adams definitely makes our D better)...but if you are looking for hope, I think these are all reasonable to consider.

In speaking to your point, I am hopeful both Adams in particular, and Dunbar both come back at full strength and they go to a more aggressive scheme on defense. Amadi has been very good and everything we could have asked for from him.

I also agree that lack of pressure is a big issue. But even when we had guys like Avril and Bennett, we still played the soft zone coverages and had a hard time getting off the field on 3rd downs. This has been an on-going issue in the entire PC era because he has this illogical fear of getting beat deep and will guard against it at all costs.

I just don't see how allowing teams to march down the field and convert easy first downs against our passive defense is better. Makes no logical sense to me. And I'm sorry, but Cousins is an average/mediocre NFL QB. Allowing TWO separate 97-yards drives to someone like Cousins is disgraceful.

I watch a lot of NFL games, and I don't see anyone play off coverage the way, or as much as we do. Why trade for guys like Adams, Dunbar, and Diggs if you're not going to allow them to play tight coverage and make plays for you in the secondary. I just think it's such a flawed scheme from the start and I hate our soft zones with a passion!

And with the personnel we have on defense, there is no way we should be dead last in the league in yardage allowed. That's coaching and scheme, pure and simple. We're better than our stats would suggest and I blame the coaches for that. They're holding us back on defense and not putting our players in the best position to succeed.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Wins > Yards Allowed
Turnovers > Yards Allowed
I feel like our D is going to finish at least top 25 but has the talent to be top 16.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3asakrde said:
Wins > Yards Allowed
Turnovers > Yards Allowed
I feel like our D is going to finish at least top 25 but has the talent to be top 16.

Not unless they make some major scheme adjustments.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
TraderGary":32l0fesm said:
First just let me say that I'm as big a Hawks fan as anyone, and have been from day one of the franchise. And I’m absolutely thrilled that we won last night, and ecstatic to be 5-0 going into the bye. And with the extra week, hopefully we get some people healthy like Jamal Adams and Dunbar, and work snacks Harrison into the rotation.

That being said, I've got some questions and some things I need to get off my chest, and if you want to call me a Debbie-Downer after a big win, that’s fine, I’ve got no problem with it. But there are things I fail to understand about Pete Carroll’s schemes, and maybe some of you can offer a different perspective.

For starters, I thought Zimmer had the perfect game plan against the Hawks on both sides of the ball. I think we were terribly outcoached and I was troubled we didn't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball in the first half.

Let’s start with the offense. The Hawks love the deep ball and everyone knows it. So the Vikings come out and play cover-2 to guard against the long passes that Russ is so good at. So instead of running crossing routes in front of their safeties, or seam routes or comeback routes, all designed to take advantage of the defense they were employing, we play right into their hands by consistently running 3 receivers deep, which their defense was specifically designed to stop! We did this the entire first half and we all saw the result. Schotty has been calling great games this season, but last nights play-calling was complete BS based on the defense the Vikings were employing.

Now for the defense. First, let me just say that giving up two separate 97-yard drives to anyone is an embarrassment. But giving up two separate 97-yard drives to a very mediocre QB like Cousins is inexcusable.

It's the same old thing with Pete Carroll and his ridiculous and ultra-conservative “bend-but-don’t-break” defensive schemes. Give up the easy underneath stuff but keep everything in front and don't get beat deep. As a result, we make it far too easy for teams to convert 3rd downs and march right down the field. I have zero confidence in this defense getting off the field on 3rd downs against anyone.

We can't get off the field on 3rd down because we consistently give up the easy underneath stuff in the name of guarding against the big play over the top. Without exaggeration, it's just a simple pitch-and-catch for the QB/receiver. It's a terribly flawed scheme. For a defensive minded coach like PC, it boggles the mind.

I hope someone can talk me off the ledge because I fail to see how allowing teams easy first downs and marching right down the field with little resistance is better than playing more aggressively and risking a possible big play over the top. Please, someone help me understand this because this drives me absolutely insane each and every week. I think I need therapy. :lol: What am I missing? Does anyone have a different perspective on this?

We're 5-0 for the first time, and I absolutely love it! But that 5-0 is despite the defense, not because of it. Against teams in our division, it's going to bite us squarely in the ass if they don't adjust their schemes. Playing 5 to 10 yards off receivers with our corners bailing out pre-snap on 3rd and 7 is not going to get it done against anyone. Had we not opened up the offense, we would be getting crushed! Russ is carrying this team and I personally think PC is overrated and often gets outcoached like he did last night.

Thank you for reading.

Love the thought you put into this post.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Thank you Wenhawk. It was a bit of a rant, but I try my best to make myself clear when attempting to make a point.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah i didn't get the whole deep ball throwing....Wilson was awesome first 4 games getting the short passes, which continued drives...Also it was raining was really odd they did that.

As for the defense, my guess is that they were so bad in stopping the run, they didn't want to be equally bad by giving up the big plays too. Have the opponent team milk as much clock time and give more plays for the opportunistic defense to cause a turnover in the rain.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I echo your concerns as well.. (I just suck as wording.. and as of lately circumstances outside of here my mind has been all over studying for a state board written exam, so most of comes off as ignorant, non intentional lol)

I love that we’re 5-0 , but our defense does have me concerned. The Talent is there, we have literally seen flashes of it. And we have some really good guys who are injured, due back after the bye. So I hope we see a vastly improved Defense. I’m going to stay going against the the grain in, we have a pass rush that’s getting pressure, however when our Corners or the back end of the field are dropping so far back and not jamming/bumping at the snap and throwing routes off and timing, it kind of cancels out any work the rushers do due to that 1 extra second maybe. Someone had a a great post which I agree with. Think that was Fades.

I really hope when the bye is over Ken Norton Jr knows and uses the talent he has (he didn’t in Oakland) and trusts them to play and be aggressive. Like you it boggles my mind that our Corners are lining up 10yards off the receivers then dropping back additional yards giving up easy conversions constantly. Flowers.. I can kind of see why.. the dude seems to touch a receiver and there’s a flag. Shaq.. well, when he plays aggressive is when he is his best IMO. When he bumps and sticks to the receiver I see positive results for us. I feel it’s our coaches or KNJ not trusting them or the ability, I don’t know that’s speculation on my part. But I can’t understand how a kid who Sherman was helping, teaching and mentoring was doing stellar opposite of him, Starts playing just okay. Then in some games when he’s on the receiver and aggressive completely different.

This defense is very hot and cold. I’d like it to stay in the warmer side of hot, and hopefully everyone injured who is coming back will shift it that way. Neal has been beyond a pleasant surprise and someone I would love for Seattle to keep around. KJ.. a position change made a big difference. I love he’s playing a position they said he originally was brought in to play asked to be switched and then a few years later asks to be swapped back. Overall, I’m hoping after the bye we see a better and improved defense.

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
The defense is talented. They just have to put it together. Adams comes back after the bye, which is a huge boost. Diggs is solid. Griffin is playing better and Dunbar had a good game v Minny. Question is, can he stay healthy. Ryan Neal has been a great surprise. Tre Flowers is awful and easily the weakest link on the field at any given time. Amadi has been solid. Bobby is Bobby. KJ is having a stellar year and has maybe been our best player on D. Barton is bad. He is horrendous at shedding blocks. Lets hope Brooks gets back too. I don't think we've seen what he can do. The D line is shaky but it's starting to gel a bit. Collier and Mayowa are playing better. J Reed looked excellent v Minny so lets hope he keeps that up. Ford, Mone, and Rush are all decent. Snacks will help v the run. Robinson has showed promise and we get Taylor soon. Rasheem comes back too. I think this D and this team is one edge rusher trade away from a bowl. I love the idea of going all in and trying to get someone like Von Miller or Ryan Kerrigan. But this D can only get better. Brooks and Adams should make a big difference after the bye. I hope we can find a way to keep Flowers planted on the bench. He looks absolutely lost.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Missing Adams and Dunbar for much of the 5 games. Irvin out for the season early. Green still to come back soon. Brooks to come back soon. Snacks added to the mix.
This D is going to get better. Shoot, they haven't had their full Defensive lineup all season.
And this offense is VERY good obviously. Still have Penny, Gordon and Dorsett on the way.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Wenhawk":3i3yln7v said:
TraderGary":3i3yln7v said:

Thank you for reading.

I agree with Trader's critique about us not making earlier adjustments. I complained about that very thing in the game forum. However, the very thing the Vikes were doing to take away the deep stuff we're so good at is the very thing you criticize the Hawks for doing. The problem was that the Vikes were doing it a whole lot better than we were, partly because they also got good QB pressure from an D Line that was dominating LOS. We did a better job defensively, at times, in the second half, accompanied by our offense opening things up by utilizing TE routes and running more effectively. That's why the game was so back and forth. We were both trying to do the same thing.
Pete's fault may be that he does what he does because he knows it will work. When it doesn't work he keeps trying to do it better until it does work again. That CAN result in keeping on digging when you're already in a hole.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Dunbar has not been great since he got here. He has been better than Flowers, but is that great?

Adams has been a liability in coverage but the sample size is low (people saying he is better than Kam was are either victims of recency bias or completely crazy.). He is stellar in the box, but iffy in coverage.

Norton is not an exceptional DC. So far, as a DC over his career, he hasn't even been good.

I wanted Green Bay PNW, and that is what we got. We are the old Packers.

Hopefully that is enough to get us our first meaningful playoff win since the SB loss.*

But we have to accept that this is the team as long as Norton is making the decisions on defense. In the listings of worst defenses in history of the NFL - we literally get a listing. So this is us, expecting it to change overnight is not rational.

We have to win by outscoring teams because we cannot stop them reliably. If we get the lead and another team needs a FG to come back and win? We better have less than a minute on the clock because this defense is putrid...even though it is lined with what are supposed to be stars.

This defense has little if any chance of getting this team to the SB. But we could at least win a playoff game. That should have been the only reasonable goal for this team with this roster and staff. And it is completely achievable.

If we don't at least win the divisional game, this season is a failure considering what we gave up and the players we have. But winning that game and then losing in the next round shouldn't be disappointing at all. I don't think we have the horses or the staff to make it to the SB with this roster.

*(and no wildcard games do not count, the NFL just lowered the bar for what a playoff team is. Beating a Lions team that had literally never won a playoff game in decades and shouldn't have even been there...is not some kind of accomplishment. Neither is beating a depleted Eagles team with a 40 year old QB. Beating a playoff caliber team is the accomplishment and we have not done this since our SB loss - even with one of the biggest predictors of playoffs success....a stellar All Everything QB.)

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":l7638txv said:
Dunbar has not been great since he got here. He has been better than Flowers, but is that great?

Adams has been a liability in coverage but the sample size is low (people saying he is better than Kam was are either victims of recency bias or completely crazy.). He is stellar in the box, but iffy in coverage.

Norton is not an exceptional DC. So far, as a DC over his career, he hasn't even been good.

I wanted Green Bay PNW, and that is what we got. We are the old Packers.

Hopefully that is enough to get us our first meaningful playoff win since the SB loss.*

But we have to accept that this is the team as long as Norton is making the decisions on defense. In the listings of worst defenses in history of the NFL - we literally get a listing. So this is us, expecting it to change overnight is not rational.

We have to win by outscoring teams because we cannot stop them reliably. If we get the lead and another team needs a FG to come back and win? We better have less than a minute on the clock because this defense is putrid...even though it is lined with what are supposed to be stars.

This defense has little if any chance of getting this team to the SB. But we could at least win a playoff game. That should have been the only reasonable goal for this team with this roster and staff. And it is completely achievable.

If we don't at least win the divisional game, this season is a failure considering what we gave up and the players we have. But winning that game and then losing in the next round shouldn't be disappointing at all. I don't think we have the horses or the staff to make it to the SB with this roster.

*(and no wildcard games do not count, the NFL just lowered the bar for what a playoff team is. Beating a Lions team that had literally never won a playoff game in decades and shouldn't have even been there...is not some kind of accomplishment. Neither is beating a depleted Eagles team with a 40 year old QB. Beating a playoff caliber team is the accomplishment and we have not done this since our SB loss - even with one of the biggest predictors of playoffs success....a stellar All Everything QB.)

Twisted, that is exactly my point. This defense is not without talent. We're better than a last place defense in the league and one of the worst historically. At least we SHOULD be better. That screams coaching and scheme to me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is the coaching and scheme.

BUT

Carroll likes it that way. So until he sees it as a problem, he sees no reason to fix it.*

My worry is that we figure out it is a problem and by then it is too late. My greater worry is that Carroll turtles up into the old PeteBall in the playoffs and we get this defense with the old offense. God I hope not, but Carroll in the playoffs without the LOB is sort of a nightmare for Seahawk fans, so I would not dismiss it out of hand.

* See Link https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/10/1 ... hawks-rams

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1r7j6gyl said:
Wenhawk":1r7j6gyl said:
TraderGary":1r7j6gyl said:

Thank you for reading.

I agree with Trader's critique about us not making earlier adjustments. I complained about that very thing in the game forum. However, the very thing the Vikes were doing to take away the deep stuff we're so good at is the very thing you criticize the Hawks for doing. The problem was that the Vikes were doing it a whole lot better than we were, partly because they also got good QB pressure from an D Line that was dominating LOS. We did a better job defensively, at times, in the second half, accompanied by our offense opening things up by utilizing TE routes and running more effectively. That's why the game was so back and forth. We were both trying to do the same thing.
Pete's fault may be that he does what he does because he knows it will work. When it doesn't work he keeps trying to do it better until it does work again. That CAN result in keeping on digging when you're already in a hole.

It's funny, as I was writing that post yesterday, I had that exact same thought. But as you said, they were doing it a whole lot better than we were and I don't recall them playing as soft or as far off the LOS pre-snap as we were. I think our cover-2 or zone coverages in general are more conservative than pretty much any other team in the league. At times, it almost feels like we're playing a prevent defense the entire game. (Slight exaggeration but not much).

I just think PC has some very irrational fears about certain things like being beat deep, and will make great sacrifices to guard that from happening.

Here's an honest question for you. When you're watching a Seahawks game and it gets to 3rd down for the opposing team, are you confident we're going to get a stop? Because I'm sure not. And it's because we play too damn soft on the back end and allow easy completions underneath. And I don't think the problem is our personnel. We have a lot of talent at LB and in the secondary. The coaches just don't let them play to their strengths or put them in the best position to succeed. I really believe that.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":1kbqnseu said:
The defense is talented. They just have to put it together. Adams comes back after the bye, which is a huge boost. Diggs is solid. Griffin is playing better and Dunbar had a good game v Minny. Question is, can he stay healthy. Ryan Neal has been a great surprise. Tre Flowers is awful and easily the weakest link on the field at any given time. Amadi has been solid. Bobby is Bobby. KJ is having a stellar year and has maybe been our best player on D. Barton is bad. He is horrendous at shedding blocks. Lets hope Brooks gets back too. I don't think we've seen what he can do. The D line is shaky but it's starting to gel a bit. Collier and Mayowa are playing better. J Reed looked excellent v Minny so lets hope he keeps that up. Ford, Mone, and Rush are all decent. Snacks will help v the run. Robinson has showed promise and we get Taylor soon. Rasheem comes back too. I think this D and this team is one edge rusher trade away from a bowl. I love the idea of going all in and trying to get someone like Von Miller or Ryan Kerrigan. But this D can only get better. Brooks and Adams should make a big difference after the bye. I hope we can find a way to keep Flowers planted on the bench. He looks absolutely lost.

Great post. I still have hope PC and company will see the light and find a way to at least make this a league average defense. If they could do that, we have as good a chance of going to the Super Bowl as any team in the NFC. I believe the talent is there. They just need to find a way to maximize it.

The thing that really scares me is if we are still playing these same BS defensive schemes and have to face Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs. I shudder to think what he would do to our defense.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1i9a8yzc said:
Missing Adams and Dunbar for much of the 5 games. Irvin out for the season early. Green still to come back soon. Brooks to come back soon. Snacks added to the mix.
This D is going to get better. Shoot, they haven't had their full Defensive lineup all season.
And this offense is VERY good obviously. Still have Penny, Gordon and Dorsett on the way.

Agree that Adams and Dunbar have been huge losses and have affected our defense tremendously. With those two hopefully at full strength after the bye, I'm hoping to see some changes to a more aggressive scheme.

Irvin's loss has also been significant, though I never viewed him or Mayowa as more than support pieces going into the season. Anxious to see what Snacks brings to the mix. And curious to see how much playing time Brooks will see or how they will utilize him once he gets healthy.