Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My observations from last nights thriller - and a question

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • First just let me say that I'm as big a Hawks fan as anyone, and have been from day one of the franchise. And I’m absolutely thrilled that we won last night, and ecstatic to be 5-0 going into the bye. And with the extra week, hopefully we get some people healthy like Jamal Adams and Dunbar, and work snacks Harrison into the rotation.

    That being said, I've got some questions and some things I need to get off my chest, and if you want to call me a Debbie-Downer after a big win, that’s fine, I’ve got no problem with it. But there are things I fail to understand about Pete Carroll’s schemes, and maybe some of you can offer a different perspective.

    For starters, I thought Zimmer had the perfect game plan against the Hawks on both sides of the ball. I think we were terribly outcoached and I was troubled we didn't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball in the first half.

    Let’s start with the offense. The Hawks love the deep ball and everyone knows it. So the Vikings come out and play cover-2 to guard against the long passes that Russ is so good at. So instead of running crossing routes in front of their safeties, or seam routes or comeback routes, all designed to take advantage of the defense they were employing, we play right into their hands by consistently running 3 receivers deep, which their defense was specifically designed to stop! We did this the entire first half and we all saw the result. Schotty has been calling great games this season, but last nights play-calling was complete BS based on the defense the Vikings were employing.

    Now for the defense. First, let me just say that giving up two separate 97-yard drives to anyone is an embarrassment. But giving up two separate 97-yard drives to a very mediocre QB like Cousins is inexcusable.

    It's the same old thing with Pete Carroll and his ridiculous and ultra-conservative “bend-but-don’t-break” defensive schemes. Give up the easy underneath stuff but keep everything in front and don't get beat deep. As a result, we make it far too easy for teams to convert 3rd downs and march right down the field. I have zero confidence in this defense getting off the field on 3rd downs against anyone.

    We can't get off the field on 3rd down because we consistently give up the easy underneath stuff in the name of guarding against the big play over the top. Without exaggeration, it's just a simple pitch-and-catch for the QB/receiver. It's a terribly flawed scheme. For a defensive minded coach like PC, it boggles the mind.

    I hope someone can talk me off the ledge because I fail to see how allowing teams easy first downs and marching right down the field with little resistance is better than playing more aggressively and risking a possible big play over the top. Please, someone help me understand this because this drives me absolutely insane each and every week. I think I need therapy. :lol: What am I missing? Does anyone have a different perspective on this?

    We're 5-0 for the first time, and I absolutely love it! But that 5-0 is despite the defense, not because of it. Against teams in our division, it's going to bite us squarely in the ass if they don't adjust their schemes. Playing 5 to 10 yards off receivers with our corners bailing out pre-snap on 3rd and 7 is not going to get it done against anyone. Had we not opened up the offense, we would be getting crushed! Russ is carrying this team and I personally think PC is overrated and often gets outcoached like he did last night.

    Thank you for reading.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • We have an opportunistic Defense that will get better. We have plenty of talent and some super stars that will settle in. They won us the NE game, the 4th down vs the vikings was giant too.

    The vikings basically had the ball for 75% and our D only gave up 26 points to one of the best running teams in the NFL
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner
     
    Posts: 5026
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 am
    Location: Renton, WA


  • Wenhawk wrote:We have an opportunistic Defense that will get better. We have plenty of talent and some super stars that will settle in. They won us the NE game, the 4th down vs the vikings was giant too.

    The vikings basically had the ball for 75% and our D only gave up 26 points to one of the best running teams in the NFL


    And that actually speaks to my point. The Vikings had the ball 75% of the time! And why is that? It's because of our ultra-soft zone coverage schemes allowing easy pitch-and-catch 3rd down conversions for the opposing QB because we'd rather give up easy 3rd down conversions and allow the opposing team to move up and down the field than give up something over the top. Logically it makes absolutely zero sense!

    My hope is that Adams will get healthy during the bye and they will make some adjustments to the scheme. If not, we're going to get torched by the good teams like the Rams, and will be one-and-done in the playoffs once again.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • I think Cousins is better than you are giving him credit, so you can take a step back from the ledge for that reason alone.

    The critical thing our D is missing is pressure, which could/should improve when Adams, Brooks, Green & Taylor are active. Snacks also could provide some help if he requires double teams. Amadi has shown he has some chops and Neal appears to be good depth at the position.

    None of these are sure bets to come to fruition (except that Adams definitely makes our D better)...but if you are looking for hope, I think these are all reasonable to consider.
    Palpitation
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 28
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:14 pm


  • Palpitation wrote:I think Cousins is better than you are giving him credit, so you can take a step back from the ledge for that reason alone.

    The critical thing our D is missing is pressure, which could/should improve when Adams, Brooks, Green & Taylor are active. Snacks also could provide some help if he requires double teams. Amadi has shown he has some chops and Neal appears to be good depth at the position.

    None of these are sure bets to come to fruition (except that Adams definitely makes our D better)...but if you are looking for hope, I think these are all reasonable to consider.


    In speaking to your point, I am hopeful both Adams in particular, and Dunbar both come back at full strength and they go to a more aggressive scheme on defense. Amadi has been very good and everything we could have asked for from him.

    I also agree that lack of pressure is a big issue. But even when we had guys like Avril and Bennett, we still played the soft zone coverages and had a hard time getting off the field on 3rd downs. This has been an on-going issue in the entire PC era because he has this illogical fear of getting beat deep and will guard against it at all costs.

    I just don't see how allowing teams to march down the field and convert easy first downs against our passive defense is better. Makes no logical sense to me. And I'm sorry, but Cousins is an average/mediocre NFL QB. Allowing TWO separate 97-yards drives to someone like Cousins is disgraceful.

    I watch a lot of NFL games, and I don't see anyone play off coverage the way, or as much as we do. Why trade for guys like Adams, Dunbar, and Diggs if you're not going to allow them to play tight coverage and make plays for you in the secondary. I just think it's such a flawed scheme from the start and I hate our soft zones with a passion!

    And with the personnel we have on defense, there is no way we should be dead last in the league in yardage allowed. That's coaching and scheme, pure and simple. We're better than our stats would suggest and I blame the coaches for that. They're holding us back on defense and not putting our players in the best position to succeed.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • Wins > Yards Allowed
    Turnovers > Yards Allowed
    I feel like our D is going to finish at least top 25 but has the talent to be top 16.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner
     
    Posts: 5026
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 am
    Location: Renton, WA


  • Wenhawk wrote:Wins > Yards Allowed
    Turnovers > Yards Allowed
    I feel like our D is going to finish at least top 25 but has the talent to be top 16.


    Not unless they make some major scheme adjustments.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • TraderGary wrote:First just let me say that I'm as big a Hawks fan as anyone, and have been from day one of the franchise. And I’m absolutely thrilled that we won last night, and ecstatic to be 5-0 going into the bye. And with the extra week, hopefully we get some people healthy like Jamal Adams and Dunbar, and work snacks Harrison into the rotation.

    That being said, I've got some questions and some things I need to get off my chest, and if you want to call me a Debbie-Downer after a big win, that’s fine, I’ve got no problem with it. But there are things I fail to understand about Pete Carroll’s schemes, and maybe some of you can offer a different perspective.

    For starters, I thought Zimmer had the perfect game plan against the Hawks on both sides of the ball. I think we were terribly outcoached and I was troubled we didn't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball in the first half.

    Let’s start with the offense. The Hawks love the deep ball and everyone knows it. So the Vikings come out and play cover-2 to guard against the long passes that Russ is so good at. So instead of running crossing routes in front of their safeties, or seam routes or comeback routes, all designed to take advantage of the defense they were employing, we play right into their hands by consistently running 3 receivers deep, which their defense was specifically designed to stop! We did this the entire first half and we all saw the result. Schotty has been calling great games this season, but last nights play-calling was complete BS based on the defense the Vikings were employing.

    Now for the defense. First, let me just say that giving up two separate 97-yard drives to anyone is an embarrassment. But giving up two separate 97-yard drives to a very mediocre QB like Cousins is inexcusable.

    It's the same old thing with Pete Carroll and his ridiculous and ultra-conservative “bend-but-don’t-break” defensive schemes. Give up the easy underneath stuff but keep everything in front and don't get beat deep. As a result, we make it far too easy for teams to convert 3rd downs and march right down the field. I have zero confidence in this defense getting off the field on 3rd downs against anyone.

    We can't get off the field on 3rd down because we consistently give up the easy underneath stuff in the name of guarding against the big play over the top. Without exaggeration, it's just a simple pitch-and-catch for the QB/receiver. It's a terribly flawed scheme. For a defensive minded coach like PC, it boggles the mind.

    I hope someone can talk me off the ledge because I fail to see how allowing teams easy first downs and marching right down the field with little resistance is better than playing more aggressively and risking a possible big play over the top. Please, someone help me understand this because this drives me absolutely insane each and every week. I think I need therapy. :lol: What am I missing? Does anyone have a different perspective on this?

    We're 5-0 for the first time, and I absolutely love it! But that 5-0 is despite the defense, not because of it. Against teams in our division, it's going to bite us squarely in the ass if they don't adjust their schemes. Playing 5 to 10 yards off receivers with our corners bailing out pre-snap on 3rd and 7 is not going to get it done against anyone. Had we not opened up the offense, we would be getting crushed! Russ is carrying this team and I personally think PC is overrated and often gets outcoached like he did last night.

    Thank you for reading.


    Love the thought you put into this post.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner
     
    Posts: 5026
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 am
    Location: Renton, WA


  • Thank you Wenhawk. It was a bit of a rant, but I try my best to make myself clear when attempting to make a point.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • Yeah i didn't get the whole deep ball throwing....Wilson was awesome first 4 games getting the short passes, which continued drives...Also it was raining was really odd they did that.

    As for the defense, my guess is that they were so bad in stopping the run, they didn't want to be equally bad by giving up the big plays too. Have the opponent team milk as much clock time and give more plays for the opportunistic defense to cause a turnover in the rain.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1314
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm


  • I echo your concerns as well.. (I just suck as wording.. and as of lately circumstances outside of here my mind has been all over studying for a state board written exam, so most of comes off as ignorant, non intentional lol)

    I love that we’re 5-0 , but our defense does have me concerned. The Talent is there, we have literally seen flashes of it. And we have some really good guys who are injured, due back after the bye. So I hope we see a vastly improved Defense. I’m going to stay going against the the grain in, we have a pass rush that’s getting pressure, however when our Corners or the back end of the field are dropping so far back and not jamming/bumping at the snap and throwing routes off and timing, it kind of cancels out any work the rushers do due to that 1 extra second maybe. Someone had a a great post which I agree with. Think that was Fades.

    I really hope when the bye is over Ken Norton Jr knows and uses the talent he has (he didn’t in Oakland) and trusts them to play and be aggressive. Like you it boggles my mind that our Corners are lining up 10yards off the receivers then dropping back additional yards giving up easy conversions constantly. Flowers.. I can kind of see why.. the dude seems to touch a receiver and there’s a flag. Shaq.. well, when he plays aggressive is when he is his best IMO. When he bumps and sticks to the receiver I see positive results for us. I feel it’s our coaches or KNJ not trusting them or the ability, I don’t know that’s speculation on my part. But I can’t understand how a kid who Sherman was helping, teaching and mentoring was doing stellar opposite of him, Starts playing just okay. Then in some games when he’s on the receiver and aggressive completely different.

    This defense is very hot and cold. I’d like it to stay in the warmer side of hot, and hopefully everyone injured who is coming back will shift it that way. Neal has been beyond a pleasant surprise and someone I would love for Seattle to keep around. KJ.. a position change made a big difference. I love he’s playing a position they said he originally was brought in to play asked to be switched and then a few years later asks to be swapped back. Overall, I’m hoping after the bye we see a better and improved defense.
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1183
    Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:32 am


  • The defense is talented. They just have to put it together. Adams comes back after the bye, which is a huge boost. Diggs is solid. Griffin is playing better and Dunbar had a good game v Minny. Question is, can he stay healthy. Ryan Neal has been a great surprise. Tre Flowers is awful and easily the weakest link on the field at any given time. Amadi has been solid. Bobby is Bobby. KJ is having a stellar year and has maybe been our best player on D. Barton is bad. He is horrendous at shedding blocks. Lets hope Brooks gets back too. I don't think we've seen what he can do. The D line is shaky but it's starting to gel a bit. Collier and Mayowa are playing better. J Reed looked excellent v Minny so lets hope he keeps that up. Ford, Mone, and Rush are all decent. Snacks will help v the run. Robinson has showed promise and we get Taylor soon. Rasheem comes back too. I think this D and this team is one edge rusher trade away from a bowl. I love the idea of going all in and trying to get someone like Von Miller or Ryan Kerrigan. But this D can only get better. Brooks and Adams should make a big difference after the bye. I hope we can find a way to keep Flowers planted on the bench. He looks absolutely lost.
    Last edited by FearTheHawk on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    FearTheHawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 63
    Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:06 pm


  • Missing Adams and Dunbar for much of the 5 games. Irvin out for the season early. Green still to come back soon. Brooks to come back soon. Snacks added to the mix.
    This D is going to get better. Shoot, they haven't had their full Defensive lineup all season.
    And this offense is VERY good obviously. Still have Penny, Gordon and Dorsett on the way.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Wenhawk wrote:
    TraderGary wrote:First just let me say that I'm as big a Hawks fan as anyone, and have been from day one of the franchise. And I’m absolutely thrilled that we won last night, and ecstatic to be 5-0 going into the bye. And with the extra week, hopefully we get some people healthy like Jamal Adams and Dunbar, and work snacks Harrison into the rotation.

    That being said, I've got some questions and some things I need to get off my chest, and if you want to call me a Debbie-Downer after a big win, that’s fine, I’ve got no problem with it. But there are things I fail to understand about Pete Carroll’s schemes, and maybe some of you can offer a different perspective.

    For starters, I thought Zimmer had the perfect game plan against the Hawks on both sides of the ball. I think we were terribly outcoached and I was troubled we didn't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball in the first half.

    Let’s start with the offense. The Hawks love the deep ball and everyone knows it. So the Vikings come out and play cover-2 to guard against the long passes that Russ is so good at. So instead of running crossing routes in front of their safeties, or seam routes or comeback routes, all designed to take advantage of the defense they were employing, we play right into their hands by consistently running 3 receivers deep, which their defense was specifically designed to stop! We did this the entire first half and we all saw the result. Schotty has been calling great games this season, but last nights play-calling was complete BS based on the defense the Vikings were employing.

    Now for the defense. First, let me just say that giving up two separate 97-yard drives to anyone is an embarrassment. But giving up two separate 97-yard drives to a very mediocre QB like Cousins is inexcusable.

    It's the same old thing with Pete Carroll and his ridiculous and ultra-conservative “bend-but-don’t-break” defensive schemes. Give up the easy underneath stuff but keep everything in front and don't get beat deep. As a result, we make it far too easy for teams to convert 3rd downs and march right down the field. I have zero confidence in this defense getting off the field on 3rd downs against anyone.

    We can't get off the field on 3rd down because we consistently give up the easy underneath stuff in the name of guarding against the big play over the top. Without exaggeration, it's just a simple pitch-and-catch for the QB/receiver. It's a terribly flawed scheme. For a defensive minded coach like PC, it boggles the mind.

    I hope someone can talk me off the ledge because I fail to see how allowing teams easy first downs and marching right down the field with little resistance is better than playing more aggressively and risking a possible big play over the top. Please, someone help me understand this because this drives me absolutely insane each and every week. I think I need therapy. :lol: What am I missing? Does anyone have a different perspective on this?

    We're 5-0 for the first time, and I absolutely love it! But that 5-0 is despite the defense, not because of it. Against teams in our division, it's going to bite us squarely in the ass if they don't adjust their schemes. Playing 5 to 10 yards off receivers with our corners bailing out pre-snap on 3rd and 7 is not going to get it done against anyone. Had we not opened up the offense, we would be getting crushed! Russ is carrying this team and I personally think PC is overrated and often gets outcoached like he did last night.

    Thank you for reading.


    Love the thought you put into this post.


    I agree with Trader's critique about us not making earlier adjustments. I complained about that very thing in the game forum. However, the very thing the Vikes were doing to take away the deep stuff we're so good at is the very thing you criticize the Hawks for doing. The problem was that the Vikes were doing it a whole lot better than we were, partly because they also got good QB pressure from an D Line that was dominating LOS. We did a better job defensively, at times, in the second half, accompanied by our offense opening things up by utilizing TE routes and running more effectively. That's why the game was so back and forth. We were both trying to do the same thing.
    Pete's fault may be that he does what he does because he knows it will work. When it doesn't work he keeps trying to do it better until it does work again. That CAN result in keeping on digging when you're already in a hole.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1550
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


  • Dunbar has not been great since he got here. He has been better than Flowers, but is that great?

    Adams has been a liability in coverage but the sample size is low (people saying he is better than Kam was are either victims of recency bias or completely crazy.). He is stellar in the box, but iffy in coverage.

    Norton is not an exceptional DC. So far, as a DC over his career, he hasn't even been good.

    I wanted Green Bay PNW, and that is what we got. We are the old Packers.

    Hopefully that is enough to get us our first meaningful playoff win since the SB loss.*

    But we have to accept that this is the team as long as Norton is making the decisions on defense. In the listings of worst defenses in history of the NFL - we literally get a listing. So this is us, expecting it to change overnight is not rational.

    We have to win by outscoring teams because we cannot stop them reliably. If we get the lead and another team needs a FG to come back and win? We better have less than a minute on the clock because this defense is putrid...even though it is lined with what are supposed to be stars.

    This defense has little if any chance of getting this team to the SB. But we could at least win a playoff game. That should have been the only reasonable goal for this team with this roster and staff. And it is completely achievable.

    If we don't at least win the divisional game, this season is a failure considering what we gave up and the players we have. But winning that game and then losing in the next round shouldn't be disappointing at all. I don't think we have the horses or the staff to make it to the SB with this roster.



    *(and no wildcard games do not count, the NFL just lowered the bar for what a playoff team is. Beating a Lions team that had literally never won a playoff game in decades and shouldn't have even been there...is not some kind of accomplishment. Neither is beating a depleted Eagles team with a 40 year old QB. Beating a playoff caliber team is the accomplishment and we have not done this since our SB loss - even with one of the biggest predictors of playoffs success....a stellar All Everything QB.)
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4276
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote:Dunbar has not been great since he got here. He has been better than Flowers, but is that great?

    Adams has been a liability in coverage but the sample size is low (people saying he is better than Kam was are either victims of recency bias or completely crazy.). He is stellar in the box, but iffy in coverage.

    Norton is not an exceptional DC. So far, as a DC over his career, he hasn't even been good.

    I wanted Green Bay PNW, and that is what we got. We are the old Packers.

    Hopefully that is enough to get us our first meaningful playoff win since the SB loss.*

    But we have to accept that this is the team as long as Norton is making the decisions on defense. In the listings of worst defenses in history of the NFL - we literally get a listing. So this is us, expecting it to change overnight is not rational.

    We have to win by outscoring teams because we cannot stop them reliably. If we get the lead and another team needs a FG to come back and win? We better have less than a minute on the clock because this defense is putrid...even though it is lined with what are supposed to be stars.

    This defense has little if any chance of getting this team to the SB. But we could at least win a playoff game. That should have been the only reasonable goal for this team with this roster and staff. And it is completely achievable.

    If we don't at least win the divisional game, this season is a failure considering what we gave up and the players we have. But winning that game and then losing in the next round shouldn't be disappointing at all. I don't think we have the horses or the staff to make it to the SB with this roster.



    *(and no wildcard games do not count, the NFL just lowered the bar for what a playoff team is. Beating a Lions team that had literally never won a playoff game in decades and shouldn't have even been there...is not some kind of accomplishment. Neither is beating a depleted Eagles team with a 40 year old QB. Beating a playoff caliber team is the accomplishment and we have not done this since our SB loss - even with one of the biggest predictors of playoffs success....a stellar All Everything QB.)


    Twisted, that is exactly my point. This defense is not without talent. We're better than a last place defense in the league and one of the worst historically. At least we SHOULD be better. That screams coaching and scheme to me.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • It is the coaching and scheme.

    BUT

    Carroll likes it that way. So until he sees it as a problem, he sees no reason to fix it.*

    My worry is that we figure out it is a problem and by then it is too late. My greater worry is that Carroll turtles up into the old PeteBall in the playoffs and we get this defense with the old offense. God I hope not, but Carroll in the playoffs without the LOB is sort of a nightmare for Seahawk fans, so I would not dismiss it out of hand.


    * See Link https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/10/1 ... hawks-rams
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4276
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


  • Appyhawk wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:
    TraderGary wrote:First just let me say that I'm as big a Hawks fan as anyone, and have been from day one of the franchise. And I’m absolutely thrilled that we won last night, and ecstatic to be 5-0 going into the bye. And with the extra week, hopefully we get some people healthy like Jamal Adams and Dunbar, and work snacks Harrison into the rotation.

    That being said, I've got some questions and some things I need to get off my chest, and if you want to call me a Debbie-Downer after a big win, that’s fine, I’ve got no problem with it. But there are things I fail to understand about Pete Carroll’s schemes, and maybe some of you can offer a different perspective.

    For starters, I thought Zimmer had the perfect game plan against the Hawks on both sides of the ball. I think we were terribly outcoached and I was troubled we didn't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball in the first half.

    Let’s start with the offense. The Hawks love the deep ball and everyone knows it. So the Vikings come out and play cover-2 to guard against the long passes that Russ is so good at. So instead of running crossing routes in front of their safeties, or seam routes or comeback routes, all designed to take advantage of the defense they were employing, we play right into their hands by consistently running 3 receivers deep, which their defense was specifically designed to stop! We did this the entire first half and we all saw the result. Schotty has been calling great games this season, but last nights play-calling was complete BS based on the defense the Vikings were employing.

    Now for the defense. First, let me just say that giving up two separate 97-yard drives to anyone is an embarrassment. But giving up two separate 97-yard drives to a very mediocre QB like Cousins is inexcusable.

    It's the same old thing with Pete Carroll and his ridiculous and ultra-conservative “bend-but-don’t-break” defensive schemes. Give up the easy underneath stuff but keep everything in front and don't get beat deep. As a result, we make it far too easy for teams to convert 3rd downs and march right down the field. I have zero confidence in this defense getting off the field on 3rd downs against anyone.

    We can't get off the field on 3rd down because we consistently give up the easy underneath stuff in the name of guarding against the big play over the top. Without exaggeration, it's just a simple pitch-and-catch for the QB/receiver. It's a terribly flawed scheme. For a defensive minded coach like PC, it boggles the mind.

    I hope someone can talk me off the ledge because I fail to see how allowing teams easy first downs and marching right down the field with little resistance is better than playing more aggressively and risking a possible big play over the top. Please, someone help me understand this because this drives me absolutely insane each and every week. I think I need therapy. :lol: What am I missing? Does anyone have a different perspective on this?

    We're 5-0 for the first time, and I absolutely love it! But that 5-0 is despite the defense, not because of it. Against teams in our division, it's going to bite us squarely in the ass if they don't adjust their schemes. Playing 5 to 10 yards off receivers with our corners bailing out pre-snap on 3rd and 7 is not going to get it done against anyone. Had we not opened up the offense, we would be getting crushed! Russ is carrying this team and I personally think PC is overrated and often gets outcoached like he did last night.

    Thank you for reading.


    Love the thought you put into this post.


    I agree with Trader's critique about us not making earlier adjustments. I complained about that very thing in the game forum. However, the very thing the Vikes were doing to take away the deep stuff we're so good at is the very thing you criticize the Hawks for doing. The problem was that the Vikes were doing it a whole lot better than we were, partly because they also got good QB pressure from an D Line that was dominating LOS. We did a better job defensively, at times, in the second half, accompanied by our offense opening things up by utilizing TE routes and running more effectively. That's why the game was so back and forth. We were both trying to do the same thing.
    Pete's fault may be that he does what he does because he knows it will work. When it doesn't work he keeps trying to do it better until it does work again. That CAN result in keeping on digging when you're already in a hole.


    It's funny, as I was writing that post yesterday, I had that exact same thought. But as you said, they were doing it a whole lot better than we were and I don't recall them playing as soft or as far off the LOS pre-snap as we were. I think our cover-2 or zone coverages in general are more conservative than pretty much any other team in the league. At times, it almost feels like we're playing a prevent defense the entire game. (Slight exaggeration but not much).

    I just think PC has some very irrational fears about certain things like being beat deep, and will make great sacrifices to guard that from happening.

    Here's an honest question for you. When you're watching a Seahawks game and it gets to 3rd down for the opposing team, are you confident we're going to get a stop? Because I'm sure not. And it's because we play too damn soft on the back end and allow easy completions underneath. And I don't think the problem is our personnel. We have a lot of talent at LB and in the secondary. The coaches just don't let them play to their strengths or put them in the best position to succeed. I really believe that.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • FearTheHawk wrote:The defense is talented. They just have to put it together. Adams comes back after the bye, which is a huge boost. Diggs is solid. Griffin is playing better and Dunbar had a good game v Minny. Question is, can he stay healthy. Ryan Neal has been a great surprise. Tre Flowers is awful and easily the weakest link on the field at any given time. Amadi has been solid. Bobby is Bobby. KJ is having a stellar year and has maybe been our best player on D. Barton is bad. He is horrendous at shedding blocks. Lets hope Brooks gets back too. I don't think we've seen what he can do. The D line is shaky but it's starting to gel a bit. Collier and Mayowa are playing better. J Reed looked excellent v Minny so lets hope he keeps that up. Ford, Mone, and Rush are all decent. Snacks will help v the run. Robinson has showed promise and we get Taylor soon. Rasheem comes back too. I think this D and this team is one edge rusher trade away from a bowl. I love the idea of going all in and trying to get someone like Von Miller or Ryan Kerrigan. But this D can only get better. Brooks and Adams should make a big difference after the bye. I hope we can find a way to keep Flowers planted on the bench. He looks absolutely lost.


    Great post. I still have hope PC and company will see the light and find a way to at least make this a league average defense. If they could do that, we have as good a chance of going to the Super Bowl as any team in the NFC. I believe the talent is there. They just need to find a way to maximize it.

    The thing that really scares me is if we are still playing these same BS defensive schemes and have to face Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs. I shudder to think what he would do to our defense.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Missing Adams and Dunbar for much of the 5 games. Irvin out for the season early. Green still to come back soon. Brooks to come back soon. Snacks added to the mix.
    This D is going to get better. Shoot, they haven't had their full Defensive lineup all season.
    And this offense is VERY good obviously. Still have Penny, Gordon and Dorsett on the way.


    Agree that Adams and Dunbar have been huge losses and have affected our defense tremendously. With those two hopefully at full strength after the bye, I'm hoping to see some changes to a more aggressive scheme.

    Irvin's loss has also been significant, though I never viewed him or Mayowa as more than support pieces going into the season. Anxious to see what Snacks brings to the mix. And curious to see how much playing time Brooks will see or how they will utilize him once he gets healthy.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • In the playoffs, the teams we are likely to meet include:

    Packers
    Bucs
    Bucs

    Can we beat these teams? Sure.

    Are we likely to beat them? No.

    We are weak against good QBs when we cannot get pressure. If the QB can make accurate throws, as we will give them time to throw and allow large cushions - we cannot stop them.


    Packers:
    I honestly don't think we could beat the Packers. If we took the lead, they would just come back and take it back. We would likely get a turnover or two, but then we would putz around on offense on later drives allowing them back into it.

    Bucs:
    Brady would walk up and down the field on us. Vita Vea is out for the year, so maybe WIlson would have time to scramble but that is a good defense and an offense we would struggle to stop.

    Rams:
    These guys are build to beat us. Goff makes mistakes when pressured but we won't pressure him. Giving him all day to throw and easy catches are going to torch us. Meanwhile, those long developing plays will get ripped apart by Donald tossing OL aside like dead leaves.

    I need to see us against the Rams and Bills to see if we have any shot against those 3 above. So far with this defense it does not look like it.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4276
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


  • Fair enough. The Ram fear on this site every year is funny to me. Not just because I hate them, but the Hawks are a damn good team. I doubt they would be excited about playing the Hawks. Screw the fear of other teams, bring it on.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • JPatera76 wrote:I echo your concerns as well.. (I just suck as wording.. and as of lately circumstances outside of here my mind has been all over studying for a state board written exam, so most of comes off as ignorant, non intentional lol)

    I love that we’re 5-0 , but our defense does have me concerned. The Talent is there, we have literally seen flashes of it. And we have some really good guys who are injured, due back after the bye. So I hope we see a vastly improved Defense. I’m going to stay going against the the grain in, we have a pass rush that’s getting pressure, however when our Corners or the back end of the field are dropping so far back and not jamming/bumping at the snap and throwing routes off and timing, it kind of cancels out any work the rushers do due to that 1 extra second maybe. Someone had a a great post which I agree with. Think that was Fades.

    I really hope when the bye is over Ken Norton Jr knows and uses the talent he has (he didn’t in Oakland) and trusts them to play and be aggressive. Like you it boggles my mind that our Corners are lining up 10yards off the receivers then dropping back additional yards giving up easy conversions constantly. Flowers.. I can kind of see why.. the dude seems to touch a receiver and there’s a flag. Shaq.. well, when he plays aggressive is when he is his best IMO. When he bumps and sticks to the receiver I see positive results for us. I feel it’s our coaches or KNJ not trusting them or the ability, I don’t know that’s speculation on my part. But I can’t understand how a kid who Sherman was helping, teaching and mentoring was doing stellar opposite of him, Starts playing just okay. Then in some games when he’s on the receiver and aggressive completely different.

    This defense is very hot and cold. I’d like it to stay in the warmer side of hot, and hopefully everyone injured who is coming back will shift it that way. Neal has been beyond a pleasant surprise and someone I would love for Seattle to keep around. KJ.. a position change made a big difference. I love he’s playing a position they said he originally was brought in to play asked to be switched and then a few years later asks to be swapped back. Overall, I’m hoping after the bye we see a better and improved defense.


    Best of luck with your board exam JP.

    Yes I do believe the talent is there, but the coaches are not maximizing that talent to the best of their abilities. I think Griffin for one is better in man than he is playing zone. I have not seen enough of Dunbar to make that determination. Tre Flowers, well he's Tre Flowers. But in his defense, he's a safety who's playing out of position.

    As for Ken Norton, I have no confidence in him whatsoever that he can get the defense straightened out. We have a defense that statistically has gotten worse every year he has been the DC. And as you said, he wasn't any better in Oakland. Carroll's loyalty to bad coaches is going to bite us in the ass once again.

    I think you touched on an interesting point about the coaching staff not trusting their personnel. I would have to think something like that would play into the minds of the players. If you had a coach that you felt didn't have faith in your abilities as a player to man up and make the plays when needed, would it motivate you to want to give 110% to them on the field of play? I think it's an interesting question.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • TwistedHusky wrote:In the playoffs, the teams we are likely to meet include:

    Packers
    Bucs
    Bucs

    Can we beat these teams? Sure.

    Are we likely to beat them? No.

    We are weak against good QBs when we cannot get pressure. If the QB can make accurate throws, as we will give them time to throw and allow large cushions - we cannot stop them.


    Packers:
    I honestly don't think we could beat the Packers. If we took the lead, they would just come back and take it back. We would likely get a turnover or two, but then we would putz around on offense on later drives allowing them back into it.

    Bucs:
    Brady would walk up and down the field on us. Vita Vea is out for the year, so maybe WIlson would have time to scramble but that is a good defense and an offense we would struggle to stop.

    Rams:
    These guys are build to beat us. Goff makes mistakes when pressured but we won't pressure him. Giving him all day to throw and easy catches are going to torch us. Meanwhile, those long developing plays will get ripped apart by Donald tossing OL aside like dead leaves.

    I need to see us against the Rams and Bills to see if we have any shot against those 3 above. So far with this defense it does not look like it.


    The only way we beat those teams is if Russ keeps playing at an MVP level and throws for 300-400 yards and 4-5 touchdowns. We would have to win a shootout and hope we have the final possession of the game, or score with less than 30 seconds on the clock. Actually 30 seconds is probably too much time if all they needed was a FG.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • TraderGary wrote:First just let me say that I'm as big a Hawks fan as anyone, and have been from day one of the franchise. And I’m absolutely thrilled that we won last night, and ecstatic to be 5-0 going into the bye. And with the extra week, hopefully we get some people healthy like Jamal Adams and Dunbar, and work snacks Harrison into the rotation.

    That being said, I've got some questions and some things I need to get off my chest, and if you want to call me a Debbie-Downer after a big win, that’s fine, I’ve got no problem with it. But there are things I fail to understand about Pete Carroll’s schemes, and maybe some of you can offer a different perspective.

    For starters, I thought Zimmer had the perfect game plan against the Hawks on both sides of the ball. I think we were terribly outcoached and I was troubled we didn't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball in the first half.

    Let’s start with the offense. The Hawks love the deep ball and everyone knows it. So the Vikings come out and play cover-2 to guard against the long passes that Russ is so good at. So instead of running crossing routes in front of their safeties, or seam routes or comeback routes, all designed to take advantage of the defense they were employing, we play right into their hands by consistently running 3 receivers deep, which their defense was specifically designed to stop! We did this the entire first half and we all saw the result. Schotty has been calling great games this season, but last nights play-calling was complete BS based on the defense the Vikings were employing.

    Now for the defense. First, let me just say that giving up two separate 97-yard drives to anyone is an embarrassment. But giving up two separate 97-yard drives to a very mediocre QB like Cousins is inexcusable.

    It's the same old thing with Pete Carroll and his ridiculous and ultra-conservative “bend-but-don’t-break” defensive schemes. Give up the easy underneath stuff but keep everything in front and don't get beat deep. As a result, we make it far too easy for teams to convert 3rd downs and march right down the field. I have zero confidence in this defense getting off the field on 3rd downs against anyone.

    We can't get off the field on 3rd down because we consistently give up the easy underneath stuff in the name of guarding against the big play over the top. Without exaggeration, it's just a simple pitch-and-catch for the QB/receiver. It's a terribly flawed scheme. For a defensive minded coach like PC, it boggles the mind.

    I hope someone can talk me off the ledge because I fail to see how allowing teams easy first downs and marching right down the field with little resistance is better than playing more aggressively and risking a possible big play over the top. Please, someone help me understand this because this drives me absolutely insane each and every week. I think I need therapy. :lol: What am I missing? Does anyone have a different perspective on this?

    We're 5-0 for the first time, and I absolutely love it! But that 5-0 is despite the defense, not because of it. Against teams in our division, it's going to bite us squarely in the ass if they don't adjust their schemes. Playing 5 to 10 yards off receivers with our corners bailing out pre-snap on 3rd and 7 is not going to get it done against anyone. Had we not opened up the offense, we would be getting crushed! Russ is carrying this team and I personally think PC is overrated and often gets outcoached like he did last night.

    Thank you for reading.


    As far as the offense is concerned Russ was trying to force the deep ball IMO... I think Russ is just confident.. I think when he spreads the ball around especially when a team is playing 2 deep the offense is more productive.. Not sure if that was on schotty...

    as far as the defense is concerned, there is a reason why the Hawks are playing the scheme they are... Im not exactly sure what it is but maybe they just dont have the confidence in the secondary to man up... There is a reason and Carroll isnt talking about it... we are not in the meeting room so it's really hard to tell what they are thinking... but whatever the reason is I can see that it is frustrating for fans...and probably frustrating for Carroll... I just think they are going to do some re evaluations on this off week and my hope is they will be better because of new players coming in and players coming back from injury... I think we will know exactly how good this D will be this season by the time we finish playing the Rams the first time... as of now it is what it is good enough 5-0...

    LTH
    LTH
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 818
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


  • LTH wrote:
    TraderGary wrote:First just let me say that I'm as big a Hawks fan as anyone, and have been from day one of the franchise. And I’m absolutely thrilled that we won last night, and ecstatic to be 5-0 going into the bye. And with the extra week, hopefully we get some people healthy like Jamal Adams and Dunbar, and work snacks Harrison into the rotation.

    That being said, I've got some questions and some things I need to get off my chest, and if you want to call me a Debbie-Downer after a big win, that’s fine, I’ve got no problem with it. But there are things I fail to understand about Pete Carroll’s schemes, and maybe some of you can offer a different perspective.

    For starters, I thought Zimmer had the perfect game plan against the Hawks on both sides of the ball. I think we were terribly outcoached and I was troubled we didn't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball in the first half.

    Let’s start with the offense. The Hawks love the deep ball and everyone knows it. So the Vikings come out and play cover-2 to guard against the long passes that Russ is so good at. So instead of running crossing routes in front of their safeties, or seam routes or comeback routes, all designed to take advantage of the defense they were employing, we play right into their hands by consistently running 3 receivers deep, which their defense was specifically designed to stop! We did this the entire first half and we all saw the result. Schotty has been calling great games this season, but last nights play-calling was complete BS based on the defense the Vikings were employing.

    Now for the defense. First, let me just say that giving up two separate 97-yard drives to anyone is an embarrassment. But giving up two separate 97-yard drives to a very mediocre QB like Cousins is inexcusable.

    It's the same old thing with Pete Carroll and his ridiculous and ultra-conservative “bend-but-don’t-break” defensive schemes. Give up the easy underneath stuff but keep everything in front and don't get beat deep. As a result, we make it far too easy for teams to convert 3rd downs and march right down the field. I have zero confidence in this defense getting off the field on 3rd downs against anyone.

    We can't get off the field on 3rd down because we consistently give up the easy underneath stuff in the name of guarding against the big play over the top. Without exaggeration, it's just a simple pitch-and-catch for the QB/receiver. It's a terribly flawed scheme. For a defensive minded coach like PC, it boggles the mind.

    I hope someone can talk me off the ledge because I fail to see how allowing teams easy first downs and marching right down the field with little resistance is better than playing more aggressively and risking a possible big play over the top. Please, someone help me understand this because this drives me absolutely insane each and every week. I think I need therapy. :lol: What am I missing? Does anyone have a different perspective on this?

    We're 5-0 for the first time, and I absolutely love it! But that 5-0 is despite the defense, not because of it. Against teams in our division, it's going to bite us squarely in the ass if they don't adjust their schemes. Playing 5 to 10 yards off receivers with our corners bailing out pre-snap on 3rd and 7 is not going to get it done against anyone. Had we not opened up the offense, we would be getting crushed! Russ is carrying this team and I personally think PC is overrated and often gets outcoached like he did last night.

    Thank you for reading.


    As far as the offense is concerned Russ was trying to force the deep ball IMO... I think Russ is just confident.. I think when he spreads the ball around especially when a team is playing 2 deep the offense is more productive.. Not sure if that was on schotty...

    as far as the defense is concerned, there is a reason why the Hawks are playing the scheme they are... Im not exactly sure what it is but maybe they just dont have the confidence in the secondary to man up... There is a reason and Carroll isnt talking about it... we are not in the meeting room so it's really hard to tell what they are thinking... but whatever the reason is I can see that it is frustrating for fans...and probably frustrating for Carroll... I just think they are going to do some re evaluations on this off week and my hope is they will be better because of new players coming in and players coming back from injury... I think we will know exactly how good this D will be this season by the time we finish playing the Rams the first time... as of now it is what it is good enough 5-0...

    LTH



    OKay I agree wiht the concerns on defense, and the very very slow adjustments made. As to the deep ball, and the announcers as well as OP all saw 3 wr going deep or no one open. Wilson does not call the plays unless the head sets go out or we are in hurry up. So that falls on game plan and OC who calls the plays
    . To me PC was trying the same old, same old and then at half realized it was not working so went back to what had been working for 4 games. Hopefully that will be the last time we try that.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3167
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • I'm not currently available to sit down, read the thread, and write a reply worth anything right now - so I'll just note that the OP is a really high quality post, which we need more of.

    Great stuff.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3662
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:I'm not currently available to sit down, read the thread, and write a reply worth anything right now - so I'll just note that the OP is a really high quality post, which we need more of.

    Great stuff.


    I appreciate the kind words Maelstrom. Thank you very much.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • This speaks to exactly why I created this thread.

    https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/10/17/21520836/seahawks-defense-keeps-wasting-great-field-position-special-teams-stats

    If they haven't figured this out during the bye week, we're not going to go far in the playoffs if we even make it there. Our only hope would be that Russ keeps playing at an MVP level and puts up record numbers week in and week out.

    I keep telling everyone it's not the personnel, it's the terrible schemes and their "keep everything in front" soft zone defense. It's no mystery why we can't get off the field on 3rd downs. Should be obvious to anyone watching including Pete Carroll and Ken Norton.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • TraderGary wrote:This speaks to exactly why I created this thread.

    https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/10/17/21520836/seahawks-defense-keeps-wasting-great-field-position-special-teams-stats

    If they haven't figured this out during the bye week, we're not going to go far in the playoffs if we even make it there. Our only hope would be that Russ keeps playing at an MVP level and puts up record numbers week in and week out.

    I keep telling everyone it's not the personnel, it's the terrible schemes and their "keep everything in front" soft zone defense. It's no mystery why we can't get off the field on 3rd downs. Should be obvious to anyone watching including Pete Carroll and Ken Norton.


    The question of scheme and in-game adjustments is a very valid concern . It has been discussed every year on this board since PC,s first season. I am hopeful that Schotty and RW can keep our offense going this year. They will need to with a very bad defensive scheme. Norton is outmatched as a DC. He has no business being in that position. Even the Raiders figured that out firing him during the season. PC isn't going to change, which tells me our offense will need to ball out every game. That isn't realistic.

    Good comments TraderGary. At least you see the issues.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3250
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • No Debbie-Downer accusations here... I'm sure lots of people think I am one. I love our 5-0 record, I'd even be jumpimg for joy if we were 4-1 going into the bye week...

    For some reason, I just don't have confidence this is sustainable with the D going at this rate. Like c'mon... as amazing as Russ is, how long can we honestly convince ourselves that this can happen every game? And into the playoffs as well? Even all you rose-colored mofos feel it in your heart... without changes, this is not going to last. Have you guys seen our BRUTAL schedule coming up?
    TypeSly
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 284
    Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm


  • TypeSly wrote:No Debbie-Downer accusations here... I'm sure lots of people think I am one. I love our 5-0 record, I'd even be jumpimg for joy if we were 4-1 going into the bye week...

    For some reason, I just don't have confidence this is sustainable with the D going at this rate. Like c'mon... as amazing as Russ is, how long can we honestly convince ourselves that this can happen every game? And into the playoffs as well? Even all you rose-colored mofos feel it in your heart... without changes, this is not going to last. Have you guys seen our BRUTAL schedule coming up?


    Yes, these next 5 games are going to be crucial, and should give us a good idea whether this team is capable of going to the promise land this year.

    With Adams and Dunbar hopefully healthy and Snacks Harrison being integrated into the defense, I have to believe we're going to see some adjustments when they hit the field again. It's hard to imagine PC doesn't see the obvious flaws in the defensive schemes we've been running and how ineffective it's been. He's had plenty of time to assess things during this break.

    I was hopeful we would have heard something about Dan Quinn by now. This would have been the perfect opportunity to bring him in given the bye week. Unfortunately it looks like it's not to be. Of course we don't know if Quinn was even open to the possibility. It's possible he just wants a break to figure things out for himself and who could blame him.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • TraderGary wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:We have an opportunistic Defense that will get better. We have plenty of talent and some super stars that will settle in. They won us the NE game, the 4th down vs the vikings was giant too.

    The vikings basically had the ball for 75% and our D only gave up 26 points to one of the best running teams in the NFL


    And that actually speaks to my point. The Vikings had the ball 75% of the time! And why is that? It's because of our ultra-soft zone coverage schemes allowing easy pitch-and-catch 3rd down conversions for the opposing QB because we'd rather give up easy 3rd down conversions and allow the opposing team to move up and down the field than give up something over the top. Logically it makes absolutely zero sense!

    My hope is that Adams will get healthy during the bye and they will make some adjustments to the scheme. If not, we're going to get torched by the good teams like the Rams, and will be one-and-done in the playoffs once again.


    I sound like a broken record, but this is EXACTLY what I have been saying. It's not the players it's Norton. That dude has to go and fast. Norton is a very very bad D-coord, and as soon as people accept that and stop saying the D will get better etc....The D will not get better as long as Norton is the D-coord. Sure, we will have a couple of decent defensive games, but it's not enough. Norton has had 2 years to get better and he has not. He is killing this Defense. Before his arrival, we were a very good Defense, and since he has been D coord we are the laughing stock of the NFL with the worst Defense. This may ruffle some feathers, but I don't care. We are an overrated 5-0 team. We have had a weak schedule, and yet to beat a team with a winning record.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 610
    Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 pm
    Location: Seattle, Washington


  • hawks85 wrote:I sound like a broken record, but this is EXACTLY what I have been saying. It's not the players it's Norton. That dude has to go and fast. Norton is a very very bad D-coord, and as soon as people accept that and stop saying the D will get better etc....The D will not get better as long as Norton is the D-coord. Sure, we will have a couple of decent defensive games, but it's not enough. Norton has had 2 years to get better and he has not. He is killing this Defense. Before his arrival, we were a very good Defense, and since he has been D coord we are the laughing stock of the NFL with the worst Defense. This may ruffle some feathers, but I don't care. We are an overrated 5-0 team. We have had a weak schedule, and yet to beat a team with a winning record.


    Your opinion on Norton has zero impact on whether he stays or goes, just so you know. No amount of fan yelling will remove him, either.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2514
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 am


  • WE??? hmmmmm
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    hawks85 wrote:I sound like a broken record, but this is EXACTLY what I have been saying. It's not the players it's Norton. That dude has to go and fast. Norton is a very very bad D-coord, and as soon as people accept that and stop saying the D will get better etc....The D will not get better as long as Norton is the D-coord. Sure, we will have a couple of decent defensive games, but it's not enough. Norton has had 2 years to get better and he has not. He is killing this Defense. Before his arrival, we were a very good Defense, and since he has been D coord we are the laughing stock of the NFL with the worst Defense. This may ruffle some feathers, but I don't care. We are an overrated 5-0 team. We have had a weak schedule, and yet to beat a team with a winning record.


    Your opinion on Norton has zero impact on whether he stays or goes, just so you know. No amount of fan yelling will remove him, either.


    I understand this, but I'm freaking frustrated with this D. We will not advance in the playoffs or let alone win the SB with this D, and no one will convince me otherwise.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 610
    Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 pm
    Location: Seattle, Washington


  • Look, we all know what this defense is and isn't 5 games into the season. There is a lot of issues that need to be fixed. Personally, I am just happy that we are 5-0 with these issues, as opposed to being 3-2, or even 2-3 with the same exact problem. That could easily have been the case if RW wasn't allowed to ball out starting in the first quarter.

    I do hope some of these defensive issues gets fixed starting this Sunday. They have some D players coming back from injury and some (Dunbar) that probably needed the extra week to feel better and be more in tune with our defensive schemes. That is whatever they are right now.

    I will start to be concerned in about 6 more games if the defense is still the weak point. At 5-0 we have a very strong case for a playoff spot and maybe more. I hope we just get farther than the last few years. That would be improvement which is a good thing.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3250
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:WE??? hmmmmm


    Yes, "WE". We can debate or argue all we want, but are we not all pulling for one team? Would it make you feel that much better if we addressed every opinion as "they" or "The Seahawks"? Next, you'll be making a call to the grammar police? :roll:
    TypeSly
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 284
    Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm


  • Relax man...….
    And I wasn't even referring to you. People who blast the team over and over again just sound funny when they say "we".
    Don't like it, too bad.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Soul, our fan base is just way too smart and/or are perfectionists.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3368
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm


  • Good point. The spoiled is strong. Oh well, to each his/her own.
    5-0 and still plenty of improving to do. Should be a lot of really good battles.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Never said I wasn't enjoying the ride. My frustration stems from the fact that fixing the defense and making it at least league average is in my opinion, easily fixable. Personnel wise, we are a hell of a lot better than a last place defense, and historically one of the worst ever. It just seems so obvious where the flaws are in the schemes they're running and giving receivers too much cushion.

    Don't you get frustrated watching opposing teams converting easy first downs and marching right down the field because we're playing 5 to 10 yards off the receivers?

    If you were watching the Cardinals/Cowboys game last night, even after Arizona built a huge lead, they were still playing aggressive defense with tight coverage all over the field. And it's not like the Cardinals are loaded with all-pro's in the secondary.

    Put the Seahawks in that same situation and we're playing prevent defense, letting the opposing team get big chunks of yardage, and ultimately allowing them right back in the game. If you're being honest with yourself, you know it's true. Coaching and schemes is the issue here.

    And if voicing my opinion makes me a complainer, so be it. I just want the coaches to put the players in the best possible position to succeed and I don't believe they're currently doing that. We have a championship level offense and special teams, and the defense is fixable to the point that we can win a championship this year if they just make the necessary adjustments. I really believe that.
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


  • TraderGary wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:We have an opportunistic Defense that will get better. We have plenty of talent and some super stars that will settle in. They won us the NE game, the 4th down vs the vikings was giant too.

    The vikings basically had the ball for 75% and our D only gave up 26 points to one of the best running teams in the NFL


    And that actually speaks to my point. The Vikings had the ball 75% of the time! And why is that? It's because of our ultra-soft zone coverage schemes allowing easy pitch-and-catch 3rd down conversions for the opposing QB because we'd rather give up easy 3rd down conversions and allow the opposing team to move up and down the field than give up something over the top. Logically it makes absolutely zero sense!


    Logically it does makes sense though. Pete's defensive philosophy has always been not to get beat over the top. Basically he would rather you prove you can do things right 8-10 times a drive. If you allow them to beat you over the top, they only have to do it right once.

    It may be frustrating, but as Wenhawk said we have an opportunistic defense. Allowing a play over the top reduces the number of opportunities.

    They're basically saying "take the yards, run 100 plays, we bet you'll make a mistake and then we will capitalize on it."

    This year they have scored points or ran out the clock after every turnover/4th down stop.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 863
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:26 pm
    Location: Newberg, Oregon


  • You know this Defense if Snacks can be Snacks is basically the 2005 D. Smoke and Mirrors. I don’t mind. The potential is there to be a lot more tougher, a lot more grittier by season end than that D was.

    Let’s see what happens after you incorporate Snacks, Adams to the mix together as well as under-the-radar guys like DJ Reed and Bullard along with other guys still trying to gel in the system like Moore and Dunbar.

    Not to mention the plethora of guys who haven’t even vetted yet: Brooks, Collier, Robinson, Ford, Mone, Quem Griffin, Barton, BBK, Amadi, Neal, and Flowers. Let’s see them after they’ve grind more experience and establish themselves more. Flowers might the only name where I question if he has it...but he’s still green he’s just have had a lot of snaps.

    A chance that Taylor might get right and perhaps compete himself into the mix.

    Let the D galvanize. There are 11 more weeks to come together and figure it out for the games that really count. Much like the 2005 Offense the 2020 is elite enough to win 13+ games.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3368
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Relax man...….
    And I wasn't even referring to you. People who blast the team over and over again just sound funny when they say "we".
    Don't like it, too bad.


    Sorry, I apologize :lol: . I actually like "we" because it just feels like we all belong to something, a common cause :lol:
    TypeSly
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 284
    Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm


  • It's all good. Just was having a crap day. I get riled up, and it's not really needed. It's just a football message board, and should be fun. Something I need to work on. More lurking and less posting/pot stirring. It's nothing personal :irishdrinkers:
    And yes, I say we all the time so...... 8)
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I say WE all the time, still have to get past my past life beheading, burning, and ashes scattered through out the Country I used to rule.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 33389
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • :2thumbs:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16151
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It's all good. Just was having a crap day. I get riled up, and it's not really needed. It's just a football message board, and should be fun. Something I need to work on. More lurking and less posting/pot stirring. It's nothing personal :irishdrinkers:
    And yes, I say we all the time so...... 8)


    Thank you for accepting my apology, brother. :D
    TypeSly
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 284
    Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm




It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online