The question going forward

chris98251

Reaction score
Are we paper Tigers who played a weak schedule ? Oh don't tell me the percentage of teams when we played them, it takes a few weeks to shake out teams and with no pre season even more so. Or are we building up for a legitimate run ?

We have a gauntlet of Division and very good teams coming up after the Bye, teams that have better defenses and know us well we really don't get a break of a team that is much like those we have played until the Giants again in December. Or the Eagles before them.

Thoughts and ideas?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Well, I think we drop 1 to the Rams, maybe drop 1 to the cards. The way the 9ers have been performing, I can't see us dropping that one in two weeks. The Bills are likely an issue but worst case I think we come out with 3 more Ls at worst.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It is week 5 and depending on how the Patriots play in week 6 they will only have 1 win over a team with a winning record. They do still have Washington, Jets, Giants, and Eagles on the schedule. So there is a very real possibility that this team will only play 3 more games against teams with winning records and their last hard road game is Week 10. No matter how awful the defense is this team is looking like a 13 or 15 win team.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Dak Prescott
Fitzpatrick
Cousins

These are not lower level QB's, I have NO question going forward, we have added personnel that are not playing yet and we have guys coming back from injury. We are going to be fine! I do not know why is is so hard to be happy with being undefeated so far, does it really matter by how much or how things didn't go the way we thought they should have?

For me I love the close games! I do not need to dominate in a game to make me or my team feel good. I love being on the edge and watching my team since 76 pull it out at the last minute or not. If only they could keep us from having any type of anxiety! That would be awesome right??? NO------Live for the moments, sometimes we will win...sometimes not. So far this team has done everything to win, guess what! They HAVE! Why would it be so much better to blow people away? Is it because you might have personnel issues you are dealing with???? If so I am sorry. But I love this team and am so proud of how they are doing during this time of pandemics and all the other bull****. Please take a moment and check yourself for your own short comings before you point out others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a forum! I can say anything I want as long as I am respectful! GET over it....

Respectfully LacenterHawk

:2thumbs:

D

DomeHawk

lacenterhawk":d0skp0ds said:
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Dak Prescott
Fitzpatrick
Cousins

These are not lower level QB's, I have NO question going forward, we have added personnel that are not playing yet and we have guys coming back from injury. We are going to be fine! I do not know why is is so hard to be happy with being undefeated so far, does it really matter by how much or how things didn't go the way we thought they should have?

For me I love the close games! I do not need to dominate in a game to make me or my team feel good. I love being on the edge and watching my team since 76 pull it out at the last minute or not. If only they could keep us from having any type of anxiety! That would be awesome right??? NO------Live for the moments, sometimes we will win...sometimes not. So far this team has done everything to win, guess what! They HAVE! Why would it be so much better to blow people away? Is it because you might have personnel issues you are dealing with???? If so I am sorry. But I love this team and am so proud of how they are doing during this time of pandemics and all the other bull****. Please take a moment and check yourself for your own short comings before you point out others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a forum! I can say anything I want as long as I am respectful! GET over it....

Who said people are unhappy being 5 and 0? People are ecstatic, but yes there are legitimate concerns and that provides for lively discussions. Why be a buzz kill?

As for the OP's question, yes, the meat of the schedule is coming and the obvious areas of concern need to improve, I just can't see us winning our division with the worst defense in all of football.

TraderGary

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2br7krei said:
lacenterhawk":2br7krei said:
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Dak Prescott
Fitzpatrick
Cousins

Who said people are unhappy being 5 and 0? People are ecstatic, but yes there are legitimate concerns and that provides for lively discussions. Why be a buzz kill?

As for the OP's question, yes, the meat of the schedule is coming and the obvious areas of concern need to improve, I just can't see us winning our division with the worst defense in all of football.

Exactly!

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
lacenterhawk":3gj51ztk said:
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Dak Prescott
Fitzpatrick
Cousins

Shortcomings? I am good.

giphy.webp

I was discussing a subject actually, but we can talk shortcomings over dinner if you like.

60d851d10a65eb4b207ff298af316161e814d72dridgiphy

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
lacenterhawk":3ps25ii9 said:
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Dak Prescott
Fitzpatrick
Cousins

Well I look at it as driving a car with bald tires and knowing it, fix them or live for the moment when you arrive at your destination every time, although at some point that luck is going to run out and usually on a rainy day in a isolated location at a time of the day hard to get help.

Easier to fix the problem if you can.

It's in front of our face and that much cushion on 3rd down with a good Team not just a QB will bite us.

It doesn't even matter who is on the field, we need to tighten it up and trust the CB's to cover a shorter field and Diggs to read the plays.

themunn

Reaction score
You can't ask if we're paper tigers and worry about the Rams and Cardinals and ignore the fact that the Rams 4 wins have come against teams a combined 4-15-1, and the Cardinals 3 wins against teams a combined 3-12.

At least with our opponents they have 7 wins - the Patriots only 2 losses coming against us and the Chiefs (playing with a backup QB since Newton tested positive) - and while the Falcons are 0-5, at least they're a decent team who've probably played the toughest schedule so far (opponents combined 18-7), in comparison to the 0-5 Giants that both the Rams and Cardinals have played who are one of the league's worst.

I'm not saying we're going 16-0, but I've seen nothing from our divisional rivals so far that scares me more than anyone else we've played to date.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Well we aren't the most well rounded team on the planet but I'd hardly say we are paper tigers.

Our pass defense is bad, our run defense is mediocre. Those are the weaknesses.
But we are near the top of the league as a passing and rushing offence as well as special teams. You can't just focus on the defensive woes.

KC went to the SB last year with a bad secondary.
SF went to the SB with a poor passing offence.

Every team has weaknesses. Many of our weaknesses are injury related. A healthy Blair, Adams and Dunbar would improve the secondary. A healthy Irvin and Green would improve the pass rush. We are making do like a lot of teams are trying to do with their injuries.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
themunn":1d9cqzks said:
You can't ask if we're paper tigers and worry about the Rams and Cardinals and ignore the fact that the Rams 4 wins have come against teams a combined 4-15-1, and the Cardinals 3 wins against teams a combined 3-12.

At least with our opponents they have 7 wins - the Patriots only 2 losses coming against us and the Chiefs (playing with a backup QB since Newton tested positive) - and while the Falcons are 0-5, at least they're a decent team who've probably played the toughest schedule so far (opponents combined 18-7), in comparison to the 0-5 Giants that both the Rams and Cardinals have played who are one of the league's worst.

I'm not saying we're going 16-0, but I've seen nothing from our divisional rivals so far that scares me more than anyone else we've played to date.

The Giants have played the Steelers, Bears, Niners, Rams and Cowboys - but, more interesting for the Giants is that their first four games came against very good defenses and the moment they got away from that, they put up points. So while I do think the Giants are a bad team, they got a pretty raw deal with their first four games.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I honestly can’t answer this due to the fact we never know until we play our division opponents. Those games are always different. They always have championship feels to them.

However if I was to give a guess of an answer, No we aren’t. as someone stated before we’ve face some damn good QBs with really good receivers, and fared pretty well, at least on offense. Defense? Well, so far they’ve showed up or waken up at the right times in games.

I think if anything as Hawks fans since PC has gotten here we’ve become used to a smash mouth defense. And now the script has flipped. We’re a very Offense tuned team. Our defense seems to just be enough, not as much or as aggressive as it seems a lot of us prefer which I understand. However I feel our defense would look vastly different if we didn’t line up so far off the LoS either.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
lacenterhawk":2ckqysj6 said:
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Dak Prescott
Fitzpatrick
Cousins

Nice! I grew up in LC, class of 02

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We're only Paper Tigers to those who choose to ignore the fact that they are 5-0. All while missing a LOT of guys on Defense for some or most of the season. Adams, Dunbar, Brooks, Green etc. Plus, Snacks to be added to the mix.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I think just about every Hawk fan is frustrated with what we’ve seen out of the defense so far.

I also think our defense will “tighten up” as you say.

Two things that I tend to forget about this season, and I think others are forgetting or at least not giving enough credence.

*Covid19 Season

#Limited practice
#no pre-season games.

I think the 5-0 start makes the “paper tiger” argument invalid but I do think in the end we will have benefited from an easier schedule than we usually deal with.

With that, we also have some big pieces of the puzzle missing, soon to be back.

I’m as concerned as anyone but I think this team is coming together, and by playoff time they will be ok.

PS, I’d also love to see Quinn brought in to help, even if it’s just to take on a group or to add a perspective.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We aren't paper tigers. We aren't a SB threat but we are very very dangerous.

Paper tigers are not.

We are the old Packers. We have a paper defense. The offense is the dangerous part.

The problem is that while our defense is inconsistent, when we occasionally get stops (or a lead)...our HC takes the foot off the gas. We refuse to pile on points like the old Packers used to do. Not sure why.

The other problem is that our defense stays on the field so long it limits touches by our offense.

On the whole this is a very good team just unbalanced. Exceptionally good on offense and exceptionally bad on defense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Adams, Brooks, Snacks, Dunbar (healthier) and Green after the Bye. This D is about to get better. Just my opinion.

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":1gv1f8gw said:
Are we paper Tigers who played a weak schedule ? Oh don't tell me the percentage of teams when we played them, it takes a few weeks to shake out teams and with no pre season even more so. Or are we building up for a legitimate run ?

We have a gauntlet of Division and very good teams coming up after the Bye, teams that have better defenses and know us well we really don't get a break of a team that is much like those we have played until the Giants again in December. Or the Eagles before them.

Thoughts and ideas?

I think after the Hawks Play the Rams and the Bills we will have a really good idea of how good the D is... that gives us after the bye week three divisional games and the Bills...

LTH

themunn

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3puhc30c said:
The Giants have played the Steelers, Bears, Niners, Rams and Cowboys - but, more interesting for the Giants is that their first four games came against very good defenses and the moment they got away from that, they put up points. So while I do think the Giants are a bad team, they got a pretty raw deal with their first four games.

Good defenses sure, and they scored a lot against the Cowboys, sure. But even the 2013 Seahawks allowed more than 12 PPG which is what the Giants scored over the first 4 games - the defenses they were playing are not that good. Even the points they scored against the Cowboys - 7 points on defense, another 7 off a short field when Cowboys fumbled in their own redzone (not to mention the Giants offense giving up 7 points with a fumble 6 of their own) show that the Giants offense has a long long long way to go before it is going to be competitive.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Here's the thing...

I dont see really anymore losses on our schedule. I know some of your are going to be like...whoa...slow ya roll...and dont jinx us...but I dont think the rams are that tough and neither are the cards. Both have played lesser teams. With that being said...I have been hammering about the defense for weeks now and it finally seems like people are paying attention. There isnt a team that can outright flatten us in this league. However, if we lose one game this season it will because we are content with poor pass defense and playing down to our opponents instead of maxing our potential. So yes we are paper tigers because every team is until you come out and win 16 games proving it. But no there arent any teams that are worth fearing. None can beat us down. Question is can our defense put together a game to say as a whole team we are unstoppable. Heck...that is why hanzus put us back in power rankings. People wont say it but they can see we have a good team except we play super close games to really consider us a powerhouse. I think we are number one. I also think the defense needs to step up and prove it. Offense is about the business.