Let's hire Quinn as a consultant

hawks85

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3t5mio4s said:
This would be the best move for everybody. Norton is pure garbage, and I've said this a thousand times over, we will not win a SB or advance deep in the playoffs with this current D. They need to bring Quinn in and soon. What do we have to lose?, Ive said the same thing. I dont care what pete does or does not do, he needs to bring Quinn in. If they are serious about winning a SB again they need to fix that D.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It would absolutely, positively be one of the best things that happens in 2020 if so, IMHO. KNJr. just seems to have bitten off more than he can chew. I love the guy, but his defense needs a bumper to bumper tune up...if we are to have any REAL postseason aspirations.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I would take Quinn if he would encourage Pete and Ken to just line up AT the los and to bump/jam the receivers and make them earn the yardage instead of giving up free yards.

That right there would be an improvement over what we have going on.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Quinn is getting paid handsomely to stay at home. Why would he take a pay cut to actually work? Not going to happen.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Quinn is a quality Defensive coach and yet Atlanta had one of the very worst Ds in the NFL. Just a reminder that there a few magic bullets available for the NFL.

That said it has been observed by others that something is seriously wrong with the scheme and short passes are seemingly always open, no matter what down it is. Norton looks to be without answers and despite the obvious defensive failings the team is squeaking out Ws so the motivation to change seems absent.

Fade has observed there is scheme deficiency and change will need will need to happen before there is any significant improvement of the pass D. As far as the run D the left side of Minnies OLine was eating our Ds lunch most of the game without adjustment that succeeded.

I think Norton needs help, and while I disagree with many of the most vocal detractors he seems unable to effect changes in his scheme that are effective. Adding Quinn to the staff even as a consultant couldn't hurt but might be unlikely at this point.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Is Quinn really the answer? I think we all have fond memories of him as our D-Coordinator and winning the Super Bowl, but as many have stated that the Falcons have had one of the worst D's this season and in fact 5 of his 6 seasons only once did he rank in the Top Ten of defenses. When Quinn was here he had the luxury of the LOB as well as a bunch of other talented that accumulated and was able to be held together for a few number of seasons before those players eventually drifted apart due to various reasons.

Is Dan Quinn really the guru that we all think he is or remember him to be or was he just at the right place, right time, scored a HC job and now seen for what he is? A Mediocre coach?

PNW

Reaction score
The DL and LB’s seem to be playing well, I would much rather see Richard come back as our DB coach and keep things rolling along.

PNW

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":310ttqu2 said:
Is Quinn really the answer? I think we all have fond memories of him as our D-Coordinator and winning the Super Bowl, but as many have stated that the Falcons have had one of the worst D's this season and in fact 5 of his 6 seasons only once did he rank in the Top Ten of defenses. When Quinn was here he had the luxury of the LOB as well as a bunch of other talented that accumulated and was able to be held together for a few number of seasons before those players eventually drifted apart due to various reasons.

Is Dan Quinn really the guru that we all think he is or remember him to be or was he just at the right place, right time, scored a HC job and now seen for what he is? A Mediocre coach?
Completely agree! Very valid points that are ignored by the hire DQ crowd

Basis4day

Reaction score
The defensive scheme is, and always has been, Pete's. Quinn as a "consultant" isn't going to somehow find all the faults that are happening right now and be able to fix them.

Speaking to Quinn specifically, you're going to need to pay enough to make it worth his while. Hes been making head coaching money for a while now and the college game is always a possibility.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If you did, might as well hire him and fire Norton. Hiring him as consultant would only undermine what Norton is trying to do.. basically and No-Confidence vote by Pete.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Basis4day":2o8ftaoq said:
The defensive scheme is, and always has been, Pete's. Quinn as a "consultant" isn't going to somehow find all the faults that are happening right now and be able to fix them.

^^^ This. Pete is effectively the DC. Getting Jamal Adams healthy is the best tonic we could get right now.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

MontanaHawk05":1nqg227p said:
What if he doesn't want to be just a consultant?

Great way to rebuild your resume after a failed HC tenure.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

HagFaithful":1haewvso said:
Quinn is getting paid handsomely to stay at home. Why would he take a pay cut to actually work? Not going to happen.

Taking a consulting job in no way impacts the Falcon's contractual obligations to Quinn. He would not be taking a pay cut but making money in addition to what he is getting for the remainder of his contract.

It would be the perfect way to reestablish his football credentials/expertise without actually having to take responsibility for any failures in an already low performing unit.

Erebus

Reaction score
The two most common arguments against Quinn are that as a defensive mind, he failed in Atlanta, and he had a buttload of talent here in '13-'14 that he wouldn't have now.

Yes, his defenses sucked in Atlanta, but he was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. Guess who else is a good defensive minded head coach with a terrible defense? Our very own Pete Carroll. There have been plenty of defensive coordinators promoted to head coach, failed at the head coaching job, and went back to being good/great coordinators. Quinn is certainly still capable of that.

The argument that we had a lot more talent in the LOB days is mostly valid, but ignores the talent we have now. Our back seven is loaded (on paper). Before the season started, most people reasonably thought we'd have a very good secondary. The talent is certainly there, but the sum of the parts seems to be much greater than the whole. That's a coaching issue, and I think Quinn can fix it. Personnel-wise, this defense should be similar to the 2012 defense, which led the league in fewest points allowed: stout defensive line that can't generate a lot of pressure, good linebackers, and an excellent secondary. That's a reasonable goal based on the talent of this defense.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DomeHawk":dhcbapqa said:
MontanaHawk05":dhcbapqa said:

Plenty of Ex-Head Coaches get another shot at the HC without taking a lesser position. Failing that there is always college or Coordinator positions.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Basis4day":3rkc41k2 said:
DomeHawk":3rkc41k2 said:
MontanaHawk05":3rkc41k2 said:

Plenty of Ex-Head Coaches get another shot at the HC without taking a lesser position. Failing that there is always college or Coordinator positions.

i'm talking about right now, not as a career choice. We are in the midst of what could be a very good run and if he could just come in and work together with the rest of the coaching staff as just another good football mind it might help. People are misconstruing my remarks, I am not suggesting that he come in and take over. Think "consultant."