Kerrigan or Von?

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Thoughts on trying to trade for Ryan Kerrigan or Von Miller after the Bye? I say we go all in and give up the rest of our high end draft capital packaged with someone like Hollister or Homer to grab a vet edge rusher. I like either Kerrigan or Von the most. Chances of this happening? Worth it? Other potential names? I'm 90% sure they'll go get someone opposite Mayowa and rotate LJ instead of start him.

JPatera76

Reaction score
No thanks, I’ll refer to Fades post which echos my thoughts. We’re fine, it’s the back end that’s hurting us. Especially lining 10 yards off the LOs then dropping back another 5 to 10. Not Jamming or bumping the receivers to throw the routes off or timing is hurting our pass rush. It’s not giving them much time. We’re getting pressure, we just can’t finish because the receivers get free passes to their spots because they’re where they need to be instead of having to fight and earn it, we let them run and pass in front. Throw that route off by 1-2 secs and the QB is on his ass. We saw it agains the Vikings. The times Kirk was on his ass or close to it, our Corners were aggressive and jammed or bumped just enough.

We being way to conservative on defense by allowing 10-15 yards in front of us.

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
I think Von is supposed to play after week 8 but I might be wrong.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Miller's ankle injury/surgery was likely season-ending, but I think he could theoretically return though it seems a long shot.

My question would be does one edge rusher really change much? One real difference maker could I guess, but without the rest of the DL stepping up it might be fairly easy to scheme around. Teams would lean even more heavily on the short pass and without further scheme changes those are there all day. Doesn't seem worth mortgaging more of the future on, imo.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We're average on pass rush - better than popularly thought, but not what we could be. If we want genuine Super Bowl aspirations, we could look for improvements. Ryan Kerrigan has been floated as an option by a blogger or two.

JPatera76

Reaction score
We really just need the Corners to be more aggressive and jam/bump off the line instead of back peddling for 15yards per snap to snap

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Can Neal play corner? That may be an in house solution to spelling Dunbar so he stays healthy. As long as I don't have to watch Tre give up play after play while looking totally lost.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There are plenty of terrible teams that are going to be looking to be in the trade market for picks for their veteran DE"s that are no longer in their plans over the next two weeks.

I'm sure Pete and John already have a board of those players to go after.........problem is with no first round picks to give, might not be the splashy impact DE we'd want, might just be a rotation guy we can get for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm all for Ryan Kerrigan.

Von Miller is 31 and will have zero reps in December. He's a phenomenal talent, but at his age, I doubt he plays "well" this year.

Own The West

Reaction score
We're fine on talent. We're not going to fix scheme and assignment by adding a player.

We need to learn how to dance with the people we brought.

Basis4day

Reaction score
We don't really have much "high draft capital" to speak of. We have a 2, 4, 5, 7, and 7 in 2021 right now.

I see many complaints about Homer on this site so it seems contradictory that a team is somehow going to be interested in trading for him. He is currently out best RB at picking up the blitz and we have seen historically how a lack of ability to pass block keeps RBs off the field (cough, CMike, cough). I don't see Pete parting with that easily.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So a quick look at the standings as to which teams are going to be sellers, and what players they might be willing to trade to get off of contracts, and if we can fit those players under our cap with some maneuvering.

Falcons: Dante Fowler, Tak McKinley (last year of deal)

Giants: Dexter Lawrence, Leonard Williams (probably too expensive 16M cap hit)

Jets: Henry Anderson

Bengals: Carlos Dunlap, Sam Hubbard, Carl Lawson

Texans: JJ Watt (no dead cap this year or next for Houston to cut him to save 15M hit), PJ Hall, Jacob Martin back?

Jags: Josh Allen

Vikings: Yannick Ngakoue (last year before he hits free agency), Ifeadi Odengbo (cheap and last year of deal)

So definitely some names to target that we could get for a mid round pick and fit under our cap. Bottom line, we need somebody, we can't keep this same pass rush rotation the rest of the year expecting it to get better.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how they address this. I was gonna type "solve this" but that could be a bit optimistic. I've always been of the belief that a good pass rush helps the secondary and vice versa. Getting Snacks Harrison in the rotation will help. Getting back Rasheem Green will help. Because of the draft capitol, I don't see much happening in the trade department. Maybe because of his age and injury status, JS might be able to pick up Vonn Miller fairly cheap. What cheap means I don't know. The Broncos are looking like they are heading into rebuild mode. Elway might find this the opportune time to ship out Miller.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":2cusejgc said:
JJ Watt would be so sick. But i doubt that happens

As much as Houston might be tempted to get off of Watt's contract due to his lack of production this year (8 tackles, 2 sacks)......he is the face of the franchise, a HUGE pillar in the community, and I believe he has a no trade clause.

So that's a long shot, both fitting his contract (15M, and talking Houston into trading their most popular player in franchise history)................ but I'd never put any trade past Schneider.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'd love Watt..Pretty much a dream.
I'd be happy to have Jacob Martin back though.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q5c3e70 said:
FearTheHawk":2q5c3e70 said:

As much as Houston might be tempted to get off of Watt's contract due to his lack of production this year (8 tackles, 2 sacks)......he is the face of the franchise, a HUGE pillar in the community, and I believe he has a no trade clause.

So that's a long shot, both fitting his contract (15M, and talking Houston into trading their most popular player in franchise history)................ but I'd never put any trade past Schneider.

They fired O'Brien so it would be more difficult to trade for him. That franchise may be a bit gun shy on trades going forward for awhile.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":19v7iig6 said:
Sgt. Largent":19v7iig6 said:
FearTheHawk":19v7iig6 said:

They fired O'Brien so it would be more difficult to trade for him. That franchise may be a bit gun shy on trades going forward for awhile.

Yes, Watt's a long shot. But there's a bunch of other dudes on my list that are very plausible trade options.

We need somebody, we know that. So whatever Schneider needs to do to make it happen he needs to do. Should have done a better job in the off season, mid season trades are rarely a good value because other teams are involved raising the asking prices.

But here we are.