Brooks over Queen

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I know Brooks is hurt but tell me again why Brooks was chosen over Queen who appears to be having an outstanding rookie campaign??

Osprey

Reaction score
Not a draft expert, but I believe due to better athletic profile and scheme / position flexibility.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Queen had a couple big plays last week, that's for sure. And he has done well overall. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the Ravens' D is top 2/3 and the Bengals struggled to do anything on offense all game.

Jury won't be in with the final grades for a while yet.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No idea. I felt Queen was a far better prospect coming out and was excited he dropped to us. Brooks I felt was worth a 2nd round flier and no more. Queen demonstrated game altering playmaking ability in college in ways that Brooks did not. And Queen was excellent in space and coverage as an OLB. Brooks was more of a middle linebacker prospect, although a high caliber one.

The only reason I could fathom why we took Brooks was that we had internal concerns about Wagner in 2021/22. Namely the expectation that his play would start to degrade naturally as it had appeared to begin over the course of 2019. In that respect, Brooks would be a much more valuable talent as a medium term/long term roster answer.

Queen was/still is a splash play kind of linebacker. Brooks was more of a meat and potatoes kind of tackling machine, with a demonstrated high football IQ. Queen would have been ill suited for that kind of role here. So I think team need/role played the largest part of that.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Cyrus12":384qw0r3 said:
I know Brooks is hurt but tell me again why Brooks was chosen over Queen who appears to be having an outstanding rookie campaign??

Because John and Pete liked Brooks better. Could have been the interview. Could have been something they saw on film. Who knows? Maybe send a letter the John Schneider and ask him. The rest of us have no clue.

But remember: Draft = Crap shoot. I know a ton of people that wanted us to draft Michael Kendricks over Bobby Wagner in 2012. No one questioning that decision now, are they?

Until someone gets a crystal ball that predicts injury risk and a mind reader that can see into a player's motivation, the draft will always be a lottery. Especially after the top 15 picks.

TreeRon

Reaction score
If Queen was on the Hawks do you honestly think Queen would displace Wagner or KJ ? He'd more than likely get as much play time on the Seahawks as Brooks has gotten. Who knows if he'd have got injured w/Seattle as Brooks did?
Who did Queen displace at Balt.? Maybe his path to play was easier there than it would have been at Seattle.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cyrus12":mi3gjcsl said:

Queen is actually playing fairly badly. He's had a few flash plays, but in between, he's been highly inconsistent and fairly lost at points.

39.5 PFF grade. Was in the 20s prior to this past game.

Queen wouldn't be starting here.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3qkvf177 said:
Cyrus12":3qkvf177 said:

Because John and Pete liked Brooks better. Could have been the interview. Could have been something they saw on film. Who knows? Maybe send a letter the John Schneider and ask him. The rest of us have no clue.

But remember: Draft = Crap shoot. I know a ton of people that wanted us to draft Michael Kendricks over Bobby Wagner in 2012. No one questioning that decision now, are they?

Until someone gets a crystal ball that predicts injury risk and a mind reader that can see into a player's motivation, the draft will always be a lottery. Especially after the top 15 picks.
Whenever someone is defending this teams drafts, they always go back to 2012 to find a positive. Since then the only true star drafted is DK. This team has drafted poorly even when you consider their less that great draft position. They have also made a lot of costly BAD trades. (Harvin, S. Richardson, J. Graham). RW has been their saving grace.

Smellyman

Reaction score
HawkerD":39gh5mwd said:
Mad Dog":39gh5mwd said:
Cyrus12":39gh5mwd said:

Whenever someone is defending this teams drafts, they always go back to 2012 to find a positive. Since then the only true star drafted is DK. This team has drafted poorly even when you consider their less that great draft position. They have also made a lot of costly BAD trades. (Harvin, S. Richardson, J. Graham). RW has been their saving grace.

How about those 95' Ms!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HawkerD":3fxis3qv said:
Mad Dog":3fxis3qv said:
Cyrus12":3fxis3qv said:

2019 was a fine draft. Collier is coming into his own in his first healthy action in the league, Blair was blossoming into his nickel role prior to injury, Metcalf is a bona fide star. Barton and Homer are fine role players, the former of which is steadily improving, Burr-Kirven is a solid special teamer, and Ugo Amadi is both a fantastic special teamer and playing very good defense. It's looking like a pretty damn good draft to me.

As for 2020, we look to have two starting caliber players in Alton Robinson and a solid starter in Damien Lewis. Jury is still out on Brooks and Taylor, the first two guys picked. Freddie Swain is developing into a solid receiving option, as well.

Their recent drafts have not been horrible at all. They're getting some solid players. Sure, it ain't 2010 or 2012, but these drafts may continue to look better as time goes on. 2019 certainly is.

It's very, very hard to sustain success in the NFL - even with a great quarterback. Not every draft can reasonably be expected to yield true blue chips, especially with late picks. This front office has done a fantastic job keeping a playoff caliber team, and I can't complain about the past 2 drafts.

mikeak

Reaction score
Lots of teams are asking themselves the same question over Metcalf

It is weird sometimes some guys that the fans hear about slips and turns into great players. We then hear their name over and over again

We don't hear about all the other guys that had names thrown out there, fans wanted and they failed.

You can't draw conclusion about not drafting one guy when there are ten names on the list that people wanted at that time and most of them probably didn't pan out

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":2ysql078 said:
Lots of teams are asking themselves the same question over Metcalf

It is weird sometimes some guys that the fans hear about slips and turns into great players. We then hear their name over and over again

We don't hear about all the other guys that had names thrown out there, fans wanted and they failed.

You can't draw conclusion about not drafting one guy when there are ten names on the list that people wanted at that time and most of them probably didn't pan out

Yeah Seattle has a way of making career back ups, or guys that have one skill set look like all pros....

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
5 games in, might want to pump the brakes a little bit. Let's actually see Brooks on the field before branding it a crap draft pick.

Rat

Reaction score
IIRC the Ravens themselves had Brooks rated over Queen.

I did like Queen a lot though; it was difficult to watch the CFP and not think he was a star in the making. Insane intangibles and athleticism.

Obviously too early to say Queen will definitely be better, but I can’t help thinking the Ravens hit yet another home run. Kind of hard to look at their draft record and call the draft a complete crapshoot.

Ozzy

Reaction score
allegedly. Most people had Queen higher. I guess time will tell. I think Brooks is going to be very good and I say that still thinking he was a very odd pick at that spot considering our team needs, value added etc. It doesn't make any sense to me.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3mhtz04j said:

Queen has been graded very poorly for most of the season, and at 230lbs wouldn't be a future MLB in Seattle. For this season, he wouldn't see the field much behind Bobby and KJ.

ivotuk

Reaction score
What was our biggest problem on defense in 2019? Run defense. Add to that, Kyler Murray, and it was a huge weakness.

Queen is on a very good defense, and he's allowed to roam free and do clean up work. Brooks is fast, big, and a run stopper. I don't think Queen could stand up to that kind of abuse for very long, let alone take on run blockers or running backs.

Queen is also on a good offensive team that has been playing with big leads against crappy teams. Any defensive player will look good there. Look at his stats vs crappy teams, then his stats vs KC. Big difference.

Patrick has played about 70% of the snaps each game, and gotten all of his stats against garbage teams. Look at who they've played, and the scores:

Cincinati 27-3

Washington 31-17

Houston 33-16

Cleveland 38-6

Kansas City 20-34

Then there's the lack of a offseason where Seattle wanted players with starting experience.

Patrick Queen, 1 year. Jordyn Brooks, 4 years.

I know it's interesting to take one's own ideas on the draft, and look for perceived mistakes by the Front Office, but you can't legitimately measure players against each other 5 games in to their rookie seasons.

For example, look at all of the so called "QBs playing at an MVP Level!" after games 2,3 and 4 this year. Yet at the end, there will only be one, Russell Wilson. When all is said and done, the Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson's, Dak Prescott's, and Josh Allen's of the world will fall to the side.

Let's give it some time, and see how our rookie does when his defense is playing with a big lead. Even then, I expect Pete Carroll will "protect" him and not put too much on his plate. One more thing, I think Jordyn will be playing a different game than Patrick. Different responsibilities, and different positioning.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Way too much dwelling on what we don't have and/or a draft pick for another team.
I prefer to concentrate on Hawks players.

RCATES

Reaction score
Until Pete realizes his Zone doesn't work with this current roster it really doesn't matter. Currently on pace to be the worst defense statistically ever. Getting ran on with ease last week was an eye opener. Just bad everwhere. Crazy to witness on a PC team with so many great years on that side of the ball.

Palpitation

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2db9jw7h said:
5 games in, might want to pump the brakes a little bit. Let's actually see Brooks on the field before branding it a crap draft pick.

This...