Power rankings

AlciG

Reaction score
I don't really care about power rankings but the MMQB one made me laugh

Rat

Reaction score
I saw one of the main ones had us at #1 and then another had us at #7, and behind the Rams at that. Weird to see such a disparity.

I’d probably have us third atm, but I think there’s a good argument for any spot in the top 5.

Palpitation

Reaction score
Power Polls are the weekly Wet T-Shirt contest for the NFL. Fun for a moment with no real substance.

Rat

Reaction score
Palpitation":flcuuw5h said:
Power Polls are the weekly Wet T-Shirt contest for the NFL. Fun for a moment with no real substance.
I get more aroused seeing us like 20 spots above the Niners than I do for any wet t-shirt contest.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could look at this team and think 'Top 5'.

I know, Parcells said 'You are what your record says you are'. But as we play better teams, or more accurately teams that can exploit our godawful defense more effectively - we are probably going to clearly be a step behind them.

It probably does not matter though.

What matters is not being better but getting good matchups in the playoffs.

And, as long as Carroll does not screw us again by handcuffing Wilson, we always have a chance to win any game when we can use Wilson for 4 quarters.

All we can hope for is a playoff opportunity and an unfettered Wilson. It looks like we might get that this year. Which translates into a possible win.

We have seen other teams get fortunate schedules and fortunate matchups that take them almost to the SB. You can argue the Panther got to the SB one year because of this. No reason we cannot at least expect a reasonable showing in the playoffs this year.

Which is all a team with this defense should really expect anyway.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":359vnqpj said:
I know, Parcells said 'You are what your record says you are'. But as we play better teams, or more accurately teams that can exploit our godawful defense more effectively - we are probably going to clearly be a step behind them.

Ummm. News release, every team is effectively exploiting our defense. They can't get much worse can they?

The teams that will give us trouble will be the ones that can defend Wilson effectively.

Vikings did that and almost won. Other teams will now draw on that experience and hopefully we will gameplan better for cover 2.

Back to the power rankings: I get a kick out of every football analytics geek saying we can't "sustain" these one score victories when it's quite obvious Pete builds his teams to precisely do just that. Seahawks have been great finishers during his whole tenure. It's ingrained into the psyche of these players and Wilson in particular.

I certainly see us as a top 5 team right now purely because we have a top 3 offense and top 3 special teams. That makes up for a bottom 10 defense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":g7d6iz52 said:
I don't see how anyone could look at this team and think 'Top 5'.

It probably does not matter though.

What matters is not being better but getting good matchups in the playoffs.

And, as long as Carroll does not screw us again by handcuffing Wilson, we always have a chance to win any game when we can use Wilson for 4 quarters.

All we can hope for is a playoff opportunity and an unfettered Wilson. It looks like we might get that this year. Which translates into a possible win.

We have seen other teams get fortunate schedules and fortunate matchups that take them almost to the SB. You can argue the Panther got to the SB one year because of this. No reason we cannot at least expect a reasonable showing in the playoffs this year.

Which is all a team with this defense should really expect anyway.

Falcons, Cowboys, Panthers, Vikings offenses are pretty good, maybe better than that. Dolphins just hung 40 plus on the 9ers.

I think we undervalue the Hawks opponents. Hell, the vikings are 3-5 plays from being 4-1.

There is this fear about the upcoming schedule. I'm not sold the Rams, Cardinals, 9ers, Bills are all that much better than the first 5 games. Maybe the Falcons are that bad.

RCATES

Reaction score
I'm surprised we are ranked as high as we are in some of these. Zero Balance on this team. Currently on pace to be the worst defense statistically ever. Getting ran on with ease last week was an eye opener. Just bad everwhere.

Palpitation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2kgvrkdk said:
Falcons, Cowboys, Panthers, Vikings offenses are pretty good, maybe better than that. Dolphins just hung 40 plus on the 9ers.

I think we undervalue the Hawks opponents. Hell, the vikings are 3-5 plays from being 4-1.

There is this fear about the upcoming schedule. I'm not sold the Rams, Cardinals, 9ers, Bills are all that much better than the first 5 games. Maybe the Falcons are that bad.

I think there is a lot of merit to your post. We have played offenses that know how to punch. With that said, there are several opportunities to improve the D. When healthy, I think the players we have can coalesce into a much better unit than they have shown. Whether they will is still to be seen.

Flowers gives me agita.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Si,

It takes a special kind of terrible to be the worst in history. While we might be going up against better offenses than we think...likely not the best offenses in history.

Yes, this year defenses are behind. But even then, we are the worst of that.

However, not in scoring. We happily let teams walk to the RZ and then either toughen up or wait for the other team to make mistakes. Will better teams make those mistakes though?

To those saying it cannot get worse, letting those FGs turn into TDs makes it worse.

It would be one thing if this team had no talent on defense. But we have above average players and even playmakers sprinkled through this roster. Even with the injuries the number of punts we force is abysmally low.

If you are objective, you cannot rank a team with this bad a defense and this poor a DC, very high. You might be right about the upcoming competition but I will just be thankful to split with the Rams at this point. Not sure we have an answer for them and this defense looks tailor-made to let Goff seem better than he is.

If we can beat the Bills and Cards, it will go a long way in showing this team MIGHT be able to overcome this putrid defense. But Rodgers or Brady will murder us in the playoffs if we do not fix this.

And in the playoffs, against more evenly matched teams, will our inability to protect a lead be our downfall?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1l5hn92v said:
Si,

It takes a special kind of terrible to be the worst in history. While we might be going up against better offenses than we think...likely not the best offenses in history.

Yes, this year defenses are behind. But even then, we are the worst of that.

However, not in scoring. We happily let teams walk to the RZ and then either toughen up or wait for the other team to make mistakes. Will better teams make those mistakes though?

To those saying it cannot get worse, letting those FGs turn into TDs makes it worse.

It would be one thing if this team had no talent on defense. But we have above average players and even playmakers sprinkled through this roster. Even with the injuries the number of punts we force is abysmally low.

If you are objective, you cannot rank a team with this bad a defense and this poor a DC, very high. You might be right about the upcoming competition but I will just be thankful to split with the Rams at this point. Not sure we have an answer for them and this defense looks tailor-made to let Goff seem better than he is.

If we can beat the Bills and Cards, it will go a long way in showing this team MIGHT be able to overcome this putrid defense. But Rodgers or Brady will murder us in the playoffs if we do not fix this.

And in the playoffs, against more evenly matched teams, will our inability to protect a lead be our downfall?

I don't disagree.. im just saying that our next 5 opponents may not be all that much better than our first 5.

Chapow

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":13ppgm3x said:
If you are objective, you cannot rank a team with this bad a defense and this poor a DC, very high.

And yet, I can't find a single Power Ranking anywhere on the internet that doesn't have us in at least the top ten, and most have us in the top five.

So is the explanation that there isn't a single Power Ranking on the entire internet that is objective? Every single one is biased towards the Seahawks?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We are absolutely Top Ten. Our offense, by the #s, is one of the best ever.

But Top 5 is stretching it.

If this defense improves? Sure.

EDIT:

Chapow,

I see your point. It says 'very high'. I meant 'this high'. As in Top Five. I've even seen us listed at #1 which is insane.

But the offense is good enough to make us a Top Ten team.

So you were correct in disputing what I said, I just typed it wrong.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Power rankings are (typically supposed to be) how teams are performing right now.

Not analyzing luck
Not predicting what will happen when "better" teams come up on the schedule
Not picking apart the defense and wondering how they are winning in spite of it and then mentally penalizing said team by a spot or 6

Just this: How is the team performing. Right. Now.

Think the other top 5-10 teams don't have flaws? Cmon.

Hawks are undefeated. They deserve to be right next to the other undefeated teams until they aren't.

Simple as that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Anyone not thinking they are a top 5 team is choosing to doom and gloom their way thru the season. Every possible chance we get, let's downplay wins. It never ends...…...

Palpitation

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2dttyfc9 said:
Anyone not thinking they are a top 5 team is choosing to doom and gloom their way thru the season. Every possible chance we get, let's downplay wins. It never ends...…...

Is that a statement for the players of the team or the fans of the team? Our players believe they can beat anyone...thankfully. Our fans opinion of being a top 5 team has no bearing on our players opinion...thankfully.

Chapow

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":31sz3ue1 said:
We are absolutely Top Ten. Our offense, by the #s, is one of the best ever.

But Top 5 is stretching it.

If this defense improves? Sure.

EDIT:

Chapow,

I see your point. It says 'very high'. I meant 'this high'. As in Top Five. I've even seen us listed at #1 which is insane.

But the offense is good enough to make us a Top Ten team.

So you were correct in disputing what I said, I just typed it wrong.

There are 4 teams in the league right now that are undefeated. The Steelers, Titans, Packers, and us. However, only one of those teams has played 5 games, just us. The other 3 have only played 4 games. We are the only 5-0 team in the league right now, the other 3 undefeated teams are 4-0. Every other team in the league has at least 1 loss.

While you might disagree with having us listed at #1 (and I might too), it's hardly insane. Results matter. Results matter a lot. I'd even go as far as saying results matter more than anything else.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ksubpp6 said:

Are we playing the Super Bowl next week ?

Since so many fans can see it you know other teams can, we have weaknesses, good team will exploit them.

5 and 0 is nice, just like seeing a bunch of swimsuit models is, but we have a long way to go and I want a show of strength from this team not more questions going from week to week.

As the old story goes, not how you start but how you finish, we have started hotter ten any season before under Pete, staying hungry and improving especially on defense is how we keep going.

Sometime people take objective as negative, it isn't.