Is it time to start talking about Darryl Taylor

godawg

Reaction score
I have been watching his college tapes and he is a beast. I think that after we got Taylor in the draft, Pete and John were less intense in their pursuit of Clowney. Clowney is a big part of the Tennessee defense, but he will never be a pass rusher like Taylor, who has the speed, strength and bend of the great ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Until he sees the field, I'm just going to assume he's another Malik McDowell, albeit with completely different circumstances. But I'm half expecting the same result. I'm not normally pessimistic about things, but the uncertainty around his return timeline really has me down.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He is following the LJ Collier path. We might not see what this guy can do until 2021.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He's definitely a promising prospect. We've got a legit leo prospect waiting in the wings. I've got high hopes, he has dangerous juice and bend.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aiunahthar":167fnphs said:
What happened to him? I totally forgot about this guy...

One of the principle reasons he fell in the draft was he had to have post college surgery and a rod inserted in his leg just prior to the draft. He’s still rehabbing that surgery. There have unfortunately been no reports of him practicing or running yet so it could be a while.

I remain hopeful he might see the field way late in the season but He’ll be way behind in his development. To me he was a good pick but one where we will need to patiently wait to see results from.

TreeRon

Reaction score
The rod in the leg concerns me. My son broke his arm playing HS football as a frosh. As a soph he broke it again at the end of the rod and the surgeon stated that was not uncommon as the bone can flex but the rod will not. My son had the rod removed when he had the last surgery and went on to play his final two years with no injuries (well no arm injuries).
Let's just say I'm dubious.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm kind of with TreeRon on this one, although I had seen enough from Taylor's college play to know he has/had some great potential. I'm just not sold on use of foreign properties in place of natural body parts. $6M man project can turn out to be worthless. But I will hold out hope in Taylor's case. He HAS been doing some running, according to Pete.

kf3339

Reaction score
I seriously doubt he sees the field this year. We added Bullard since the start of the season who played well against the Vikings. If he keep improving it lets us IR Taylor for next year. There is no reason to rush him up and risk further injury.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if we saw Taylor this year, leg and shin stress fractures are a very long rehab.

He was a risky pick, and that is proving out right now. So unfortunately, it's not time to talk about Taylor, and probably won't be time to talk about him until next summer.

Doesn't make me feel any better when Claypool, Diggs and Johnson are all balling out this year for Chicago, Dallas and Pittsburgh.......three guys who were drafted right after Taylor.

Mix that frustration in with Patrick Queen winning the AFC defensive player of the week, drafted right after Jordyn Brooks.........and it makes me think Pete and John are too damn cute for their own good, and it's happening with these defensive picks WAY too frequently now.

Rat

Reaction score
Frustrating. Rumor was that Taylor very well could have been our first rounder if Brooks had been gone. It’d be nice to see why they like this guy so much.

ivotuk

Reaction score
godawg":2d6igrmm said:
I have been watching his college tapes and he is a beast. I think that after we got Taylor in the draft, Pete and John were less intense in their pursuit of Clowney. Clowney is a big part of the Tennessee defense, but he will never be a pass rusher like Taylor, who has the speed, strength and bend of the great ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per John Clayton, Clowney spurned the Seahawks. Didn't return their calls, ignored their counter offers, etc. IMHO, he'd made up his mind where he was going, and where he was not going. Maybe he was upset that he played through injury but the Seahawks didn't break the bank for him?

I'm a huge Darryl Taylor fan! It's too bad COVID hit before the Seahawjks could work with their draft picks. Darryl got his surgery after playing with a leg fracture I think it was? (Shows you how tough he is). And then, from what I understand, he overdid it on his rehab and set himself back.

Pete said something to the effect of "If we could have given him guidance for his rehab, he'd be with us now."

How about Alton Robinson working with Cliff Avril? Wasn't that before the draft? Like he knew where he was going? Crazy.

I think if we get Darryl Taylor on the field, our defense will make a huge jump! Playing without Bruce Irvin and Jamal Taylor has been a HUGE setback for the Defense. Bruce is really talented, and now has the experience.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rat":35w4gam5 said:
Frustrating. Rumor was that Taylor very well could have been our first rounder if Brooks had been gone. It’d be nice to see why they like this guy so much.

Indeed!

I was excited the team picked this player but was unaware of his surgery issues though I knew he had played the last few games of his college year while injured, and while injured he was not as effective as before.

I'm hopeful he pans out and that Collier continues to improve too.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Should re title this thread to “Let’s Talk about players who haven’t done jack shot for the Seahawks and were very poor draft choices so far”

Taylor has played how much? And we could have who instead that was much highly rated pre draft?
Brooks has done what exactly?
Collier is at least on the field sometimes but first rounder?

The ONLY thing Pete has proven with these three is that he is GREAT at drafting players that are injury prone and he is a poor talent evaluator for about 5 years.

Queen over Brooks was obvious but Pete thinks he’s smarter than everyone else is and keeps flunking 1st period.

chris98251

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":23bhjd75 said:
Should re title this thread to “Let’s Talk about players who haven’t done jack shot for the Seahawks and were very poor draft choices so far”

Taylor has played how much? And we could have who instead that was much highly rated pre draft?

The ONLY thing Pete has proven with these three is that he is GREAT at drafting players that are injury prone and he is a poor talent evaluator for about 5 years.

Queen over Brooks was obvious but Pete thinks he’s smarter than everyone else is and keeps flunking 1st period.

Baldwin, Sherman, Chancellor, Wilson, DK Metcalf, Wagner, Wright, there are more, but guys that if we listened to the experts would have never been given much of a chance to succeed or were deemed less then adequate for one reason or another. Taylor had a known injury issue, it was accepted by Pete and John and I am sure the expectations were long term not short, Brooks was contributing but got hurt. Blair, Amadi, Griffin brothers, all contributing and showing improvement.

Collier is starting to show signs of getting it and Robinson is also getting flashes.

Your argument is as empty as the Jets chances to win a Super Bowl.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yeah, sounding like a redshirt year for Taylor.

Those with Queen Envy, I predict that by season's end you will have been won over by Jordyn Brooks, and agree he is a better fit for the Hawks. That is assuming he is back after the bye and barring further serious injury, of course.

If Brooks consistently isn't in the lineup due to injuries, and Queen is, of course your view wins by default.

Remember, Brian Bosworth won AFC Defensive Player of the Week as a rookie too. For similar reasons to Queen's win.
Bosworth's might have been better; he ripped a fumble from a Chicago Bears RB and returned it for a TD. An outright violent mugging, right there on TV. It was awesome. Seattle won that game, IN CHICAGO.

Not intending to diss Queen at all. He'll be a good pro. I sincerely believe Brooks will be a better and longer-lasting NFL player. Like a KJ Wright with SPEED. Wait, we already have one of those, named Bobby Wagner. Or am I backwards and it's really KJ is a slow Bobby Wagner? Who cares, they're both awesome! And Brooks will be too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2rddrxqp said:
Collier is starting to show signs of getting it and Robinson is also getting flashes..

Yes Collier is playing better this year than last, but that's not saying much considering he spent the last half of the season on the inactive list as a healthy scratch.

He's still nowhere near the every down effective player we need him to be, especially as a 1st round pick. All he's doing now is proving he indeed was the reach most draft experts said he was.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1uygh72h said:
chris98251":1uygh72h said:
Collier is starting to show signs of getting it and Robinson is also getting flashes..

Yes Collier is playing better this year than last, but that's not saying much considering he spent the last half of the season on the inactive list as a healthy scratch.

He's still nowhere near the every down effective player we need him to be, especially as a 1st round pick. All he's doing now is proving he indeed was the reach most draft experts said he was.

they have "every down effective players in the front 7?

I don't understand why people get hung up on a late first round pick and keep throwing out "1st Round Pick" as if our pick was in the top 15.

And sure, you can always say after the draft, 5 games in to the season "We should have drafted Player A instead of Player B!"

No team hits every draft pick, and every team picks players every year that don't play up to their "perceived" round/talent.
But trying to place a "talent value" on a player picked after the 15th or 20th pick of the draft is a fool's errand. People get upset if Seattle doesn't pick a "known" player, e.g. one that Mel Kiper and Todd McShay talked up. As if those guys know anything.

I like watching them, and they do put in a lot of time studying draft picks, but the don't have scouts out there learning about the character of a player, and they don't have the experience coaching or playing that it takes to evaluate players.

Even so, the most expert drafters make mistakes, because these are human beings they're drafting.

AND. a rookie's success depends directly on his health, and how good his team is. Look at some of the early 1st round picks that go to a crappy team and bust out.

The ONLY team I've ever seen that drafts consistently well is the Ravens. And now that Ozzy's gone, it will be interesting to see how they go. But remember when they paid Joe Flacco a king's ransom? Where's that guy now?

Dave Wyman said it best, "Hindsight is 50/50." Meaning after game 5, you can look back and say "We should have taken Queen!" But let the season play out and see if you're still saying that.

And Mike Salk made a silly statement. I forget what team he was talking about, the Titans I think. And he said "I'd take their 53 players over ours and put Russell Wilson on that team!" As if the other team was making better decisions that the Seahawks.

Okay Salk, but you have to take the years of losing too. Along with Marcus Mariota.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":17rnuwgz said:

Absolute and total bollocks.

Let's start with how you seem to assume first rounders are all the same. They're not. Picking late in the first, you have about a coin flip chance of landing an average starter. To expect anything more than an average starter from the late first round is a recipe to be perpetually disappointed. That's just not how it works.

It is 5 GAMES into Brooks and Taylors rookie seasons. Both are currently injured. INJURIES HAPPEN. THEY ARE PART OF THE GAME OF FOOTBALL. Taylor's injury was known about, sure, but ya know what? Setbacks happen sometimes, too. You have not even seen the guy play yet - and if he's a solid rusher from that draft slot, guess what? Worth it.

Now, moving on to your Collier jab, that right there is really the tell-tale sign that you're not thinking about this very logically. LJ Collier was injured, and is now healthy and playing... yep, like an average starter. In his first real action. I don't know how you could possibly look at LJ Collier's play right now and say it isn't befitting of a late first round pick's first real action in the league. Him blowing up the Cam Newton draw with Lano was big enough.

As for the Queen over Brooks part, I'd absolutely LOVE for you to tell me why you think Queen would be starting on this defense right now. Prior to his game last week, he was graded horrendously. In the 20s, per PFF. He's up to 39.5 now, still absolutely awful. No doubt, since 5 weeks is enough time to make a determination, you'd be complaining about Queen too had Seattle picked him. But hey, none of that matters right? Name recognition and play time are apparently the only way to determine the best players. Scheme fit and circumstance be damned.

Just all-around nonsense.