8-19

W

Welshers

Is the combined record of teams we've beaten so far... Our point differential on the YEAR is +34. But every game has been close in the fourth quarter. I am thrilled to be 5-0 and I love, love, love this team. But is this an issue? Could we be in trouble vs better opponents? Just wondering peoples thoughts. Personally I think we are in every single game with Russel Wilson. And we have proved the last two years that we can compete with any team in the league any given Sunday. And this is just how we win games, regardless of our opposition. Still a bit of a concerning statistic though.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Could we be in trouble? Sure. As could every team. But we won 11 games last year and most of them were tight affairs. I think that's due to Pete's obsession with playing the clock an softening the D late in games we are ahead. It wins but it does produce more nail biters than you'd like to see.

I'll worry about losing when we start losing. I still think for the most part that injuries are the key arbiters in win loss record for teams with great QB's. I doubt scheme is going to be the cause of our demise, if it happens. It will be because too may important guys go down (think Wilson, Wagner, Adams, Brown, Lockett, Carson)

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Mad Dog":1w7kbv9o said:
Could we be in trouble? Sure. As could every team. But we won 11 games last year and most of them were tight affairs. I think that's due to Pete's obsession with playing the clock an softening the D late in games we are ahead. It wins but it does produce more nail biters than you'd like to see.

I'll worry about losing when we start losing. I still think for the most part that injuries are the key arbiters in win loss record for teams with great QB's. I doubt scheme is going to be the cause of our demise, if it happens. It will be because too may important guys go down (think Wilson, Wagner, Adams, Brown, Lockett, Carson)
Well said. I'm thrilled to be 5-0 for the first time ever. It feels great. And I hate to be that kind of fan that has constant negativity. But it's hard to forget we had a 10-2 start last year and things fell apart

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm not concerned. 5-0 is no small feat, even against middling competition. Means they're beating the teams they should beat, and bodes well for their ability to go pound for pound with top competition.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I look at our results and who we've played, and their results vs their other opponents and it's really hard to make any sense of our scores. Last year we were something like plus 4 pts on the SEASON.
Just not enough numbers yet to draw any conclusions. All I know is we're 5-0 right now and looking like we'll be the only unbeaten NFC team after today. So that's what I'm going by.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah but...

3-0 at Home without 12s.

2-0 in 10 am Road Games.

Never started 5-0 even with the best D in the NFL.

NFL is weird this season yet we are the only undefeated team in the NFC.

And these close games are more or less Seahawks football.

We aren’t even full strength, a lot of guys here are either young, or are still getting familiar and within the system and each other or coming back from injury. Not just small things to overlook.

Time will tell... I won’t act like I know what will happen but honestly I don’t even care. Seahawks don’t need to dominate or show up in all facets for me to enjoy this, as long as they continue fight and scrap for everything win or lose, I’m satisfied.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Welshers":2r6ax5y1 said:
I actually found a great article in the Seattle Times on the topic. I'd recommend checking it out.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ose-games/

That's an eye opening article. The main takeaway? At some point, winning close games becomes a "trait" when coached to perform under pressure. It's about discipline, a very anti-rah/rah/rah sort of value and team trait.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
For what it's worth, they are actually 8-14. You have to remove the games we played against them, because that artificially inflates the losses. E.g. they are not bad in those 5 games because they are bad; they are bad because we are good.

Of course a deeper analysis is required to see why - who else have they played and are those teams any good, what injuries have impacted their record, etc.

Smellyman

Reaction score
The other teams aren't bad teams though. This is the NFL and blowouts are hard to come by. Even Atlanta is -22 and played close games. Average loss of 3.6 points per game.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Everytime I think about this, I shit my pants. Then I just take a bath with Calgon and think about 5-0...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And??? You can only play the teams that are in front of you. And they are 5-0
A 5-0 team that is likely to improve as the season continues. Enjoy the ride...….

AlciG

Reaction score
I guess those teams could have been 13-14... would that have looked better? That would have meant the Hawks being 0-5 but that's just semantics

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Coulda, woulda, shoulda...……...so many on dot negative want to downplay the Hawks wins. Year after year.
5-0, nothing else matters. And this team has heart, refuses to give up and can beat anyone in the NFL.
Enjoying this season, a lot. Shoot, we didn't even know if there would be football this year. Just sayin.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Welshers":1ylv07mo said:
Is the combined record of teams we've beaten so far... Our point differential on the YEAR is +34. But every game has been close in the fourth quarter. I am thrilled to be 5-0 and I love, love, love this team. But is this an issue? Could we be in trouble vs better opponents? Just wondering peoples thoughts. Personally I think we are in every single game with Russel Wilson. And we have proved the last two years that we can compete with any team in the league any given Sunday. And this is just how we win games, regardless of our opposition. Still a bit of a concerning statistic though.
Better Opponents?, hell, I use to worry about them playing DOWN to teams that they should easily beat; But THESE Seahawks aren't taking ANY team for granted.
I think they are scheming each and every team for their own play personalities.

94Smith

Reaction score
You play who is on the schedule. It was the same thing with the niners last year. Everyone said at the start of the year they had not played anyone good. but if you look at it if you took the Seahawks wins out of the overall record they would be 8-14 which isn't too bad. Seahawks will be in the top 3 in the NFC seeds at the end of the year, no doubt

rjdriver

Reaction score
94Smith":3o76m7o4 said:
You play who is on the schedule. It was the same thing with the niners last year. Everyone said at the start of the year they had not played anyone good. but if you look at it if you took the Seahawks wins out of the overall record they would be 8-14 which isn't too bad. Seahawks will be in the top 3 in the NFC seeds at the end of the year, no doubt

Yep..

The season is young enough and sample size small enough that 26% of the reason our opponents have a poor record is because of the Seahawks...

We have played teams that are well coached, have former league MVP's, and were projected to be playoff contenders. There are much worse teams out there then those we have played IMO...
These next few games will be a great barometer on where we could be headed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The NFL is a parity league, which means there's a very small margin of talent most Sundays between the two teams. That's why the average margin of victory in NFL games is 3-4 pts.

So it's not a fair metric to just look at who we've played, because Atlanta was a better team in week 1 then they were in week 4 or 5. Same with New England. Now Miami looks like they're a pretty good team, etc.

The NFL is a week to week, game to game league. Momentum, health and just flat out want to play big parts each and every week. So for me comparing schedules is a fool's errand.

One thing for sure, we'll see what kind of team this is in five weeks.