Stephen Sullivan

LTH

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMJASTyQN-Y

According to Norton Stephen Sullivan has been moved to DE. Interesting move... I wonder if we see this guy at DE some point this season... you would think he wouldn't be a factor this year... not playing the position since high school... but the Hawks are keeping him on the practice squad ...

what do you guys think about this one?

LTH

Osprey

Reaction score
If you can fill out the frame with another 20#s, worth a shot.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I was wondering why the Hawks picked a TE in the 7th when the position was stacked... he is big 6'5" almost 250... interesting project... the fact that they are keeping him on the practice squad means they are intrigued as they could be filling that spot with more depth...interesting to see what happens..

LTH

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Our evaluators were sold on him for a reason.
Sullivan has the tools, just not the recent experience. Too bad he missed the early camp reps. With Taylor not yet able to do anything and Irvin out maybe Sully can do enough to earn a shot. We sure could use another effective contributor at that spot. I'd think Kendricks could also give that a go. I'm excited by what Robinson has shown. But having another young guy getting ready in the wings seems like a good thing so long as we afford the patience. Like OP said the TE room is pretty well stacked at this point and we've signed some pretty good players recently that might be too hard give up. Just have to see how it shakes out for Sullivan. All things considered it kind of looks like he needs to make a good impression pretty quick if he's gonna have a chance to stick.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LTH":tqw8d1xp said:
I was wondering why the Hawks picked a TE in the 7th when the position was stacked... he is big 6'5" almost 250... interesting project... the fact that they are keeping him on the practice squad means they are intrigued as they could be filling that spot with more depth...interesting to see what happens..

LTH
More than likely they saw “athlete” with a possible position change if the TE’s are producing and healthy.
I know this isn’t exactly an apples to apples comp but Sherm started out as a WR at Stanford.

ivotuk

Reaction score

TypeSly

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2b4w4qb9 said:
Our evaluators were sold on him for a reason.
Sullivan has the tools, just not the recent experience. Too bad he missed the early camp reps. With Taylor not yet able to do anything and Irvin out maybe Sully can do enough to earn a shot. We sure could use another effective contributor at that spot. I'd think Kendricks could also give that a go. I'm excited by what Robinson has shown. But having another young guy getting ready in the wings seems like a good thing so long as we afford the patience. Like OP said the TE room is pretty well stacked at this point and we've signed some pretty good players recently that might be too hard give up. Just have to see how it shakes out for Sullivan. All things considered it kind of looks like he needs to make a good impression pretty quick if he's gonna have a chance to stick.

Right. It sounds like a move to get a good young athlete into the picture, more than immediate defensive help coming anytime soon. I don't care where they stick him, if he accels... then great for him and the team. It still sounds likeit's still one or two seasons off to me.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
"Let's get to work, coach! Let get to WORK!!!"

Loved the phone call with this guy on draft day.

ivotuk

Reaction score
40 Yard Dash -- 4.66u Seconds

Bench Press -- 0 Reps

Vertical Jump -- 36.5 INCHES

Broad Jump -- 123.0 INCHES

3 Cone Drill -- 7.51 Seconds

20 Yd Shuttle -- 4.62 Seconds

60 Yd Shuttle -- 0 Seconds

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If Pete believes in it, esp. being a defensive guy, I'm in. They are plenty stacked at TE, so bulk him up a little and let him do his thing. Worth a shot, and he's only a 7th rounder, so it's not a huge loss if it doesn't pan out imo.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Wow, the first time this was mentioned, I thought it was a scout team thing, but now it's a real thing... Wow!! Even Tom Cable wouldn't have called this one. Good luck to the young man, hope he becomes our next Cliff Avril.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The reason why he was drafted is Pete was impressed with his attitude and athleticism. He came from a very good college program and performed well at the Snr. Bowl.

The team initially upon drafting him labelled him a WR when he was a TE, then he practiced as a TE when that position was pretty crowded with experienced or higher rated players. Think this is just an attempt to put his athleticism to work helping the team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Seattle has a thing for depth players with the versatility to play both sides of the ball. Tukuafu, Nick Bellore, and now Sullivan looks to be joining those ranks.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'll be more interested if hes elevated from the PS as a DE. Right now they can be using his height and athleticism for Scout team purposes.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Remember Troy Brown? NE WR that Belicheck used as a DB when all his other DBs got injured!

The original "TB" played the position very well, and IIRC, helped them advance to the Supperbowl.

ivotuk

Reaction score
In 2004, Brown earned accolades for his play on offense, defense and special teams, showing a level of versatility unmatched in recent NFL history. After injuries had taken a toll on the Patriots' secondary, Brown pitched in as the team's nickel back for the final nine games of the regular season and for all three of the Patriots' postseason contests as New England won Super Bowl XXXIX. He finished second on the team with three interceptions in the 2004 regular season and matched his reception total with 17 tackles on defense.

https://www.patriots.com/news/wr-troy-b ... ent-155086

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Carroll said that Sullivan is going to get his shot at DE next week...

LTH

Chawker

Reaction score
I've had my eye on the "rooster" jk especially to the TE and DE positions and I knew something had to give at some point. And it still there. We're loaded at the TE position with T. Parkerson now becomming fully heathy. At the "LEO" position we're sure missing a monster of a pass rusher. I think anything at this point is worth a try.

I just wish we had a heath Darrel Taylor.

springscohawk

Reaction score
I am all with coaches looking at Sullivan's profile and envisioning him a different position in NFL.

My problem is that it seems symbolic of overall Seahawks decision to try to go cheap on defensive line. Remember period when offensive line was the position team believed they could get-away with going cheap. There was JR Sweezy project and Tom Cable. Now it is super good defensive line coach Clint Hurtt stuck with team going cheap and defensive line and now has transition project Stephen Sullivan. Besides resigning DT Reed, Seahawks have demonstrated by their actions this year going cheap with defensive line (Not resigning Clowney or acquiring a known talented defensive end) and choosing to invest in offensive line and TE. Without a decent pass rush making it thru playoffs to Superbowl seems unlikely.

Going cheap with defensive line seems like a poor decision to me. It's going to come back and bite us unless me make a trade in the next two weeks before trade deadline.

Basis4day

Reaction score
springscohawk":3i3l7hwk said:
I am all with coaches looking at Sullivan's profile and envisioning him a different position in NFL.

My problem is that it seems like a similar historical replay of JR Sweezy and Tom Cable to do defensive line on the cheap this time with Clint Hurtt and Stephen Sullivan. Besides resigning DT Reed Seahawks have seemed to identify defensive line as position group to go cheap on this year and invest in other positions while letting Clint Hurtt be responsible for getting most out of marginally talented group.

Going cheap with defensive line seeks like a poor decision to me.

Remember, he’s on the practice squad and not the active roster.