Dolphins bring in Malik Mcdowell

Teahawks

Reaction score
We've all seen draft busts, and free agent busts, but to me Mcdowell is one of the most "what could have been" ones I think of. He was drafted at a position of need to be the interior disruptor to compliment Clark, and we still have not filled that void at pass rushing DT really.

As for the situation, if he's medically cleared and ready to try football again, by all means. But money and fame can also make things worse, so really hope he's in a better place mentally before attempting the rigors of the NFL.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
*allas brought him in last year and didn’t sign him.
My guess is he blew thru all of his cash, and his agent knows someone in the Miami front office and convinced them to take a look.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Here's hoping he can turn his life around and become a success. He's still a young man, so hoping for the best.

ivotuk

Reaction score
KinesProf":178slje4 said:
Here's hoping he can turn his life around and become a success. He's still a young man, so hoping for the best.

I'm with you on this. I think he would have been a real disruptor on the defensive line like he was at Michigan State, but he's got a drinking problem.

My guess is he was drinking when he crashed that 4 wheeler and is lucky to be alive. I hope and pray the young man gets his life together, and if he hasn't, no team should sign him because they'd just be giving him more resources to kill himself.

I don't care that he didn't work out for us, IMHO, he was a worthwhile risk in the 2nd round because he is extremely talented. But you can't always predict when someone has behavioral problems that bad. And I doubt the Seahawks were given any honest evaluation by Michigan State Athletics.

Remember, his Head Coach at Michigan State got in all kinds of trouble for alleged rule violations. I have a feeling he hid all of Malik's emotional health problems to cover his own butt. He likely told the Seahawks something along the lines of "Oh yeah, he's an elite player, and a good young man who just needs a support system."

I wonder how bad of shape he was that Dallas wouldn't sign him? Hope he gets well.

Dantonio:

"Blackwell is currently suing Dantonio, former athletic director Mark Hollis, former president Lou Anna Simon and two university police detectives in a suit alleging wrongful termination and unlawful arrest.

That suit stems from a February 2017 investigation related to an alleged sexual assault involving three Spartans football players. Blackwell was arrested by two university police for what they deemed to be interfering with an investigation and was suspended with pay."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 0f7aubsjfl

KinesProf

Reaction score
ivotuk":1kl8dbza said:
KinesProf":1kl8dbza said:

I'm with you on this. I think he would have been a real disruptor on the defensive line like he was at Michigan State, but he's got a drinking problem.

My guess is he was drinking when he crashed that 4 wheeler and is lucky to be alive. I hope and pray the young man gets his life together, and if he hasn't, no team should sign him because they'd just be giving him more resources to kill himself.

I don't care that he didn't work out for us, IMHO, he was a worthwhile risk in the 2nd round because he is extremely talented. But you can't always predict when someone has behavioral problems that bad. And I doubt the Seahawks were given any honest evaluation by Michigan State Athletics.

Remember, his Head Coach at Michigan State got in all kinds of trouble for alleged rule violations. I have a feeling he hid all of Malik's emotional health problems to cover his own butt. He likely told the Seahawks something along the lines of "Oh yeah, he's an elite player, and a good young man who just needs a support system."

I wonder how bad of shape he was that Dallas wouldn't sign him? Hope he gets well.

Dantonio:

"Blackwell is currently suing Dantonio, former athletic director Mark Hollis, former president Lou Anna Simon and two university police detectives in a suit alleging wrongful termination and unlawful arrest.

That suit stems from a February 2017 investigation related to an alleged sexual assault involving three Spartans football players. Blackwell was arrested by two university police for what they deemed to be interfering with an investigation and was suspended with pay."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 0f7aubsjfl

Yeah man. In that arrest video he really looked to be in a dark place; and is more than likely living with an ABI, and ABIs are known to trigger antisocial behaviors in young men.

Hopefully his life, if not his football career, can be salvaged. As I know I sure am glad that the stupidest things I did in my early 20s aren't still impacting my life.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Carroll in his Thursday presser was asked was Budda Baker a possible pick for Seattle, and he said, he doesn’t remember the specifics of what happened with the picks, more or less.

Seattle whiffed and picked red flags galore, Malik McDowell.

Arizona then picked next and grabbed Budda Baker.

Boy, Seattle is still feeling the ill effects of that terrible pick.

Every time Budda Bakers plays Seattle, he is so motivated his hometown team did not pick him up.

PNW

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":ediqjdw9 said:
Carroll in his Thursday presser was asked was Budda Baker a possible pick for Seattle, and he said, he doesn’t remember the specifics of what happened with the picks, more or less.

Every time Budda Bakers plays Seattle, he is so motivated his hometown team did not pick him up.

This kills my soul......F*CKEN IDIOTS

KinesProf

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":36gdzxei said:

What were Malik's red flags coming into the draft?
In your opinion, what position would Budda play in the Seattle scheme?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2s363epw said:

Safety was not a position of need in that draft.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
PNW":2uhdowc4 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2uhdowc4 said:

This kills my soul......F*CKEN IDIOTS

If only those idiots had a time machine before making the pick

sdog1981

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1tgscvkw said:

You know the Seahawks could have traded back to pick 88 and drafted Nick Foles instead of Wilson in 2013, they could have saved money and had more picks. I think you are onto something here.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
KinesProf":3q8wy8q3 said:

Took plays off, unmotivated, lazy, horrible interview, etc,,,,,,

Rat

Reaction score
KinesProf":312gf7o7 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":312gf7o7 said:

McDowell was the #1 guy I wanted going into that draft, but I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t an enormous risk. He epitomizes “plays when he wants to”. Has all the talent in the world, but really had an inconsistent motor and underachieved significantly.

Oh well, I love seeing the team swing for greatness. If we passed on all risky players, we sure as hell wouldn’t have taken DK last year.

Osprey

Reaction score
sdog1981":9rkm1788 said:
You know the Seahawks could have traded back to pick 88 and drafted Nick Foles instead of Wilson in 2013, they could have saved money and had more picks. I think you are onto something here.
Same number of rings :stirthepot:

Rat

Reaction score
Osprey":q7a9f789 said:
sdog1981":q7a9f789 said:
Same number of rings :stirthepot:
Same amount as Brock Osweiler, who was drafted ahead of both.

Basis4day

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3jwvfbxj said:
KinesProf":3jwvfbxj said:

Strange. None of those negative traits involve a predisposition to crashing ATVs.

Rat

Reaction score
Basis4day":2lozw892 said:
pittpnthrs":2lozw892 said:
KinesProf":2lozw892 said:

Strange. None of those negative traits involve a predisposition to crashing ATVs.

No, but they show a lack of commitment to being the best and maximizing his All-Pro potential. This specifically was unpredictable, but there’s a reason these things don’t happen to Russell Wilson.

And again, loved the pick at the time, happy when they swing for the fences, but it’s not SUPER shocking that his personal issues prevented a successful NFL career. They knew at the time that he was his own worst enemy.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hopefully they will allow him to play without a helmet! :stirthepot: