Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dolphins bring in Malik Mcdowell

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Dolphins bring in Malik Mcdowell
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:04 pm
  • https://sports.yahoo.com/dolphins-bring ... 32443.html

Say what? What am i missing? That's really weird... sounds like maybe McDowell and the Hawks didn't have a very nice relationship to say the least...

Thoughts?

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: Dolphins bring in Malik Mcdowell
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:28 pm
  • We've all seen draft busts, and free agent busts, but to me Mcdowell is one of the most "what could have been" ones I think of. He was drafted at a position of need to be the interior disruptor to compliment Clark, and we still have not filled that void at pass rushing DT really.

As for the situation, if he's medically cleared and ready to try football again, by all means. But money and fame can also make things worse, so really hope he's in a better place mentally before attempting the rigors of the NFL.
    Teahawks
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:59 pm
  • *allas brought him in last year and didn’t sign him.
    My guess is he blew thru all of his cash, and his agent knows someone in the Miami front office and convinced them to take a look.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:23 am
  • Here's hoping he can turn his life around and become a success. He's still a young man, so hoping for the best.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:49 am
  • KinesProf wrote:Here's hoping he can turn his life around and become a success. He's still a young man, so hoping for the best.

I'm with you on this. I think he would have been a real disruptor on the defensive line like he was at Michigan State, but he's got a drinking problem.

My guess is he was drinking when he crashed that 4 wheeler and is lucky to be alive. I hope and pray the young man gets his life together, and if he hasn't, no team should sign him because they'd just be giving him more resources to kill himself.

I don't care that he didn't work out for us, IMHO, he was a worthwhile risk in the 2nd round because he is extremely talented. But you can't always predict when someone has behavioral problems that bad. And I doubt the Seahawks were given any honest evaluation by Michigan State Athletics.

Remember, his Head Coach at Michigan State got in all kinds of trouble for alleged rule violations. I have a feeling he hid all of Malik's emotional health problems to cover his own butt. He likely told the Seahawks something along the lines of "Oh yeah, he's an elite player, and a good young man who just needs a support system."

I wonder how bad of shape he was that Dallas wouldn't sign him? Hope he gets well.

Dantonio:

"Blackwell is currently suing Dantonio, former athletic director Mark Hollis, former president Lou Anna Simon and two university police detectives in a suit alleging wrongful termination and unlawful arrest.

That suit stems from a February 2017 investigation related to an alleged sexual assault involving three Spartans football players. Blackwell was arrested by two university police for what they deemed to be interfering with an investigation and was suspended with pay."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 0f7aubsjfl
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:09 am
  • Sparty Nooooooo!!!

SeaWolv
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:16 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    KinesProf wrote:Here's hoping he can turn his life around and become a success. He's still a young man, so hoping for the best.

I'm with you on this. I think he would have been a real disruptor on the defensive line like he was at Michigan State, but he's got a drinking problem.

My guess is he was drinking when he crashed that 4 wheeler and is lucky to be alive. I hope and pray the young man gets his life together, and if he hasn't, no team should sign him because they'd just be giving him more resources to kill himself.

I don't care that he didn't work out for us, IMHO, he was a worthwhile risk in the 2nd round because he is extremely talented. But you can't always predict when someone has behavioral problems that bad. And I doubt the Seahawks were given any honest evaluation by Michigan State Athletics.

Remember, his Head Coach at Michigan State got in all kinds of trouble for alleged rule violations. I have a feeling he hid all of Malik's emotional health problems to cover his own butt. He likely told the Seahawks something along the lines of "Oh yeah, he's an elite player, and a good young man who just needs a support system."

I wonder how bad of shape he was that Dallas wouldn't sign him? Hope he gets well.

Dantonio:

"Blackwell is currently suing Dantonio, former athletic director Mark Hollis, former president Lou Anna Simon and two university police detectives in a suit alleging wrongful termination and unlawful arrest.

That suit stems from a February 2017 investigation related to an alleged sexual assault involving three Spartans football players. Blackwell was arrested by two university police for what they deemed to be interfering with an investigation and was suspended with pay."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 0f7aubsjfl

Yeah man. In that arrest video he really looked to be in a dark place; and is more than likely living with an ABI, and ABIs are known to trigger antisocial behaviors in young men.

Hopefully his life, if not his football career, can be salvaged. As I know I sure am glad that the stupidest things I did in my early 20s aren't still impacting my life.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:51 pm
  • Carroll in his Thursday presser was asked was Budda Baker a possible pick for Seattle, and he said, he doesn’t remember the specifics of what happened with the picks, more or less.

Seattle whiffed and picked red flags galore, Malik McDowell.

Arizona then picked next and grabbed Budda Baker.

Boy, Seattle is still feeling the ill effects of that terrible pick.

Every time Budda Bakers plays Seattle, he is so motivated his hometown team did not pick him up.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:35 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Carroll in his Thursday presser was asked was Budda Baker a possible pick for Seattle, and he said, he doesn’t remember the specifics of what happened with the picks, more or less.

Every time Budda Bakers plays Seattle, he is so motivated his hometown team did not pick him up.

This kills my soul......F*CKEN IDIOTS
    PNW
    NET Starter

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:00 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Carroll in his Thursday presser was asked was Budda Baker a possible pick for Seattle, and he said, he doesn’t remember the specifics of what happened with the picks, more or less.

What were Malik's red flags coming into the draft?
    In your opinion, what position would Budda play in the Seattle scheme?
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Safety was not a position of need in that draft.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:56 pm
  • PNW wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Carroll in his Thursday presser was asked was Budda Baker a possible pick for Seattle, and he said, he doesn’t remember the specifics of what happened with the picks, more or less.

If only those idiots had a time machine before making the pick
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:32 pm

You know the Seahawks could have traded back to pick 88 and drafted Nick Foles instead of Wilson in 2013, they could have saved money and had more picks. I think you are onto something here.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:51 pm
  • KinesProf wrote:What were Malik's red flags coming into the draft?

Took plays off, unmotivated, lazy, horrible interview, etc,,,,,,
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:03 pm
  • KinesProf wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Carroll in his Thursday presser was asked was Budda Baker a possible pick for Seattle, and he said, he doesn’t remember the specifics of what happened with the picks, more or less.

What were Malik's red flags coming into the draft?

McDowell was the #1 guy I wanted going into that draft, but I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t an enormous risk. He epitomizes “plays when he wants to”. Has all the talent in the world, but really had an inconsistent motor and underachieved significantly.

Oh well, I love seeing the team swing for greatness. If we passed on all risky players, we sure as hell wouldn’t have taken DK last year.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:09 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:You know the Seahawks could have traded back to pick 88 and drafted Nick Foles instead of Wilson in 2013, they could have saved money and had more picks. I think you are onto something here.

Same number of rings :stirthepot:
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 pm
  • Osprey wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:You know the Seahawks could have traded back to pick 88 and drafted Nick Foles instead of Wilson in 2013, they could have saved money and had more picks. I think you are onto something here.

Same number of rings :stirthepot:

Same amount as Brock Osweiler, who was drafted ahead of both.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:19 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    KinesProf wrote:What were Malik's red flags coming into the draft?

Strange. None of those negative traits involve a predisposition to crashing ATVs.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:30 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Strange. None of those negative traits involve a predisposition to crashing ATVs.

No, but they show a lack of commitment to being the best and maximizing his All-Pro potential. This specifically was unpredictable, but there’s a reason these things don’t happen to Russell Wilson.

And again, loved the pick at the time, happy when they swing for the fences, but it’s not SUPER shocking that his personal issues prevented a successful NFL career. They knew at the time that he was his own worst enemy.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm
  • Hopefully they will allow him to play without a helmet! :stirthepot:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:16 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

No, but they show a lack of commitment to being the best and maximizing his All-Pro potential. This specifically was unpredictable, but there’s a reason these things don’t happen to Russell Wilson.

And again, loved the pick at the time, happy when they swing for the fences, but it’s not SUPER shocking that his personal issues prevented a successful NFL career. They knew at the time that he was his own worst enemy.

And again, crashing a ATV isn’t a personal issue.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:24 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

And again, crashing a ATV isn’t a personal issue.

It is if he's on drugs, intoxicated or not wearing protective head gear.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:57 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

I dont think any player comes with a red flag for riding ATV's. He came with a red flag for not being very intelligent. Was it that far in the stars that he did something stupid and had an accident?
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:44 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:

Exactly. Nothing off the field or anything indicative of the unforseeable accident to come. Things that could have been said about Marshawn pre-Seahawks or Randy Moss before being acquired by the Patriots.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:20 am
  • He could have been riding a wild women and hit his head on a headboard and you guys would still harp on him.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:33 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    I dont think any player comes with a red flag for riding ATV's. He came with a red flag for not being very intelligent. Was it that far in the stars that he did something stupid and had an accident?

To the extent that the Seahawks should have been worried that he would make a mistake that would end his career before he even took a snap? Yes. This is pure hindsite bias.

There are plenty of idiots in the NFL. If this was predicable it would happen a lot more.

The only comparable situation to McDowell i can think of off the top of my head is Jay Williams.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon May 03, 2021 3:27 pm

Mon May 03, 2021 5:43 pm
  • Malik McDowell needs a supervisor.
    gobosgumbo518
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon May 03, 2021 7:42 pm
  • From the article:

"McDowell also was sentenced to 11 months in jail and three years of probation after pleading guilty in 2019 to a series of crimes in Michigan."

Holy hell that was 3 years ago. He was drafted 4 years ago. I just hope this guy got some help and would not really be mad if he made a roster.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon May 03, 2021 7:45 pm
  • Show me a person claiming to have predicted Malik would be severely injured in an off-field accident before it actually happened, and I'll show you an outright liar.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 am
  • PNW wrote:

Lol. F*ckin***
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Tue May 04, 2021 5:30 am
  • And still dwelling on this crap years later. But, apparently it's the Hawks' front office who are supposed to be able to predict the future. While I have no problem saying they have had some serious busts early in the draft, blaming them for what this idiot did BY CHOICE is ridiculous. Good luck Miami, I'll believe the guy can turn it around when I see it.
    Get over it...........
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 04, 2021 7:20 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:From the article:

"McDowell also was sentenced to 11 months in jail and three years of probation after pleading guilty in 2019 to a series of crimes in Michigan."

Holy hell that was 3 years ago. He was drafted 4 years ago. I just hope this guy got some help and would not really be mad if he made a roster.

Umm, 2021 - 2019 = 2 years. He's still on probation?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:From the article:

Umm, 2021 - 2019 = 2 years. He's still on probation?

I could not find anything that says it ended early. At the same time, he was able to move to Florida? So it is a little confusing.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 am
  • The guy is a meathead. Does anyone really believe that he has turned things around? I do not.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Tue May 04, 2021 1:10 pm
  • Looks like the Browns signed him, now he can afford to buy a new ATV since the old one got wrecked..........
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue May 04, 2021 3:52 pm
  • I wish him luck and become an all pro

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 6:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information