Targets before trade deadline.and what can we afford?

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
Defence needs help, and I believe the secondary talent is there, but you can only cover receivers for so long. I feel edge rusher and containment is a place to start....but with cap space issues and lacking a 1st and 3rd makes it tough landing a productive player. Maybe Ryan Kerrigan...or even Emerson Griffen.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Let's target that team that is selling assets... JJ Watt, please! :229031_thewave:

OP
OP
CDN_C_Hawk

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
TypeSly":bqu1dxqu said:
Let's target that team that is selling assets... JJ Watt, please! :229031_thewave:

With only 3mill + in cap space, Watt might is be beyond our reach, even if we could get him for a 4th round pick.
Maybe Eagles might not want to pay Brandon Jackson the 17 mil he is due next year, but we might be able to afford the 6.5 contract this year.

TypeSly

Reaction score
CDN_C_Hawk":2fih42ry said:
TypeSly":2fih42ry said:

With only 3mill + in cap space, Watt might is be beyond our reach, even if we could get him for a 4th round pick.
Maybe Eagles might not want to pay Brandon Jackson the 17 mil he is due next year, but we might be able to afford the 6.5 contract this year.

Maybe we could leave AB off the wishlist, for JJ Watt? I'll be honest, I don't know anything about the cap situation right now, but I'm going to touch myself thinking about JJ in blue and green tonight :mrgreen:

RockinHawks

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2pyjodno said:
Dallas signed Griffen.
Dallas has been rumored to be open to a trade (ESPN). Not sure if it's true...but...

I'd still be willing to kick the tires on Matthews, at this point. Then again, we'll be getting some guys back very soon.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Trade Hollister and a late draft pick to Cincy for Dunlap. That should clear enough money to fit Dunlap.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":vh7a4wvm said:
Trade Hollister and a late draft pick to Cincy for Dunlap. That should clear enough money to fit Dunlap.

I know all the AB drama but pass rusher is a higher position of need. We should try to get something done here.

balakoth

Reaction score
Trade Willson, 5th rounder, and possibly a cut for cap reasons as Kerrigan is due I believe 9 mil this year. For Kerrigan from the Redskins :p

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Dunlap: Age is a minus. Contract is heavy and will impact us severely in 2021. Bad outlook

Watt: Age is minus. Injury history is minus. Contract heavy but no dead money. Basically a half year rental we'd have to cut.

Mercilus: Age is just ok, toward minus. Injury history ok. Contract is absolutely brutal -- fully guaranteed at 12M for 2020/21.

Kerrigan: Age is minus. Injury history is good. Contract is light and expires after this year. Durable, but not electric talent at this stage in career. Kind of like a KJ Wright of OLB/DE position. Good player, productive. Not splashy or dominant.

Quinnen Williams: Age (22) is absolute plus. Contract is good but fully guaranteed. Doesn't address edge need. Cost would high in draft picks. Good player who hasn't yet dominated at DT in a way a #3 pick would be expected to. But definitely flashes impact ability. If 2021 and 2022 2nd round picks seal the deal, I think I pull the trigger and just patch up/band aid from reject pile on the edge.

McKinley: Age plus. Contract good but expires end of year like Kerrigan. Very underwhelming player who hasn't played with any impact since 2018. Not thinking that getting a downward trending player from a defense worse than ours is the way to go.

Fletcher Cox: Age is ok (30). Contract is very heavy and long. Would be paid more than Wagner and would likely require we move on from Jamal Adams to carry it.

Looking at the standings and teams that are moving on to 2021 (2021 cap hell in red):

Minnesota
Detroit
Atlanta
Washington
NY (both)
Chargers
Bengals
Texans

The pool of teams needing to deal is kind of low. Ngakoue was a steal for Baltimore. Atlanta and Texas don't have real good options to cull. The Bengals just don't trade their players they love them too much. Hard to tell with the NFC East. They all suck and are all in it. Dallas probably looks like they won't be dealing as they should expect to compete strongly in their division next year pending Dak's situation.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks need to trade for a CB. Whenever Flowers has been on the field he has been a disaster.

Candidates:

NYG Logan Ryan
NYG Ryan Lewis
JAX D.J. Hayden
WAS Ronald Darby
DET Daryl Roberts
HOU Vernon Hargreaves
ATL Blidi Wreh-Wilson

None of these players would require a significant pick, but they would be a significant upgrade over Trey Flowers.
6th-7th rounder gets it done. Maybe spend a 7th on one and a 2022 6th on another and get 2. 8)

TraderGary

Reaction score
CDN_C_Hawk":1i507n35 said:
TypeSly":1i507n35 said:

Oh man, getting Watt would be incredible, and I think it would put us over the top. And a good GM can always make room under the salary cap with some creative financing. But I don't think we have the available draft capital to get a deal like that done. A 4th is not going to get it done.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Fade":l11jnhgt said:
The Seahawks need to trade for a CB. Whenever Flowers has been on the field he has been a disaster.

Candidates:

NYG Logan Ryan
NYG Ryan Lewis
JAX D.J. Hayden
WAS Ronald Darby
DET Daryl Roberts
HOU Vernon Hargreaves
ATL Blidi Wreh-Wilson

None of these players would require a significant pick, but they would be a significant upgrade over Trey Flowers.
6th-7th rounder gets it done. Maybe spend a 7th on one and a 2022 6th on another and get 2. 8)
Agreed, Flowers has been a total disaster and seems to have regressed. But Dunbar is expected back this week against the Cardinals, and Griffin after a slow start seems to be getting it together. Amadi has been very good in the slot and everything we could have asked for. But I agree that we could definitely use some insurance should one of them go down with an injury. I would not want to have to depend on Flowers on either of the edges.

If we could get any of those guys you listed for a 6th or 7th rounder, hell yeah, I'm on board.