Sign another teams Practice Squad player?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Seems that we might fill a hole or two that way. Maybe the rules are different this year. It seems like a cheap way to get a Decent player. Any reason not to except finding a good player?

Basis4day

Reaction score
If there is someone they like then by all means go for it. A couple caveats.

If you sign someone from another teams' PS, they have to be promoted to the active roster. So someone on the 53 man roster on the Hawks would need to be released or traded. So you're saying someone on your active roster is less valuable than another player who was not able to make any of the other 31 teams' 53 man roster. Now, injuries or depth at a given position can force your hand.

No team is going to let you give a tryout to their PS player. You have to go on your own scouting reports alone.

You're also competing with the other NFL teams who are also free to sign that player. If that player has traits that are so valuable, why is he on the PS of another team and not on an active roster?

Now once you sign that player hes in competition with the other players in his position group. Is that player who wasn't on any of the 32 teams active rosters going to be immediately better than 5 other players at that position who were?

Now, this isn't to belittle players who spend time on the PS. But when your talking about signing someone from another teams' PS, youre talking emergency depth and development of players.

KinesProf

Reaction score
They signed Jonathan Bullard off of the Cardinals' practice squad a couple of weeks ago.

Erebus

Reaction score
Occasionally you see players on the practice squad simply because the head coach mis-evaluated talent. Shaquem Griffin never should've been on our practice squad. He would've been a good depth addition for many other teams.

sutz

Reaction score
Erebus":2k3f86u9 said:
Occasionally you see players on the practice squad simply because the head coach mis-evaluated talent. Shaquem Griffin never should've been on our practice squad. He would've been a good depth addition for many other teams.
I'm pretty sure Queem was one of the 6 protected veterans under the new covid rules this year. Besides, if a team wants to prevent a PS player from being signed elsewhere they can promote them before the deal goes through.

Some folks around here don't appreciate Queem much, I think Pete and the coaches do.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The other issue is there's a quarantine period before a player can enter the facility so it makes it a longer process. This is part of why practice squads were expanded this year so teams have enough players in reserve so they can fill injury needs more quickly.

Basis4day

Reaction score
sutz":15qm9vv2 said:
Erebus":15qm9vv2 said:
I'm pretty sure Queem was one of the 6 protected veterans under the new covid rules this year. Besides, if a team wants to prevent a PS player from being signed elsewhere they can promote them before the deal goes through.

Some folks around here don't appreciate Queem much, I think Pete and the coaches do.

I might be wrong, but i think you're confusing separate aspects of te PS this year.

My understanding is that 6 of the PS players can be veterans. Separately, teams are allowed to protect 4 players each week. Then, you can also elevate 2 players from the PS to suit up for a game and then be returned to the PS without going through waivers. However, you cant do this two weeks in a row to the same player and only twice in the season for the same player.

Having said that, the PS players make a lot less than an active roster player. Generally speaking, it is in the financial interest for a player on the PS to take an active roster spot on another team.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Basis4day":23yuz958 said:
sutz":23yuz958 said:
Erebus":23yuz958 said:

I might be wrong, but i think you're confusing separate aspects of te PS this year.

My understanding is that 6 of the PS players can be veterans. Separately, teams are allowed to protect 4 players each week. Then, you can also elevate 2 players from the PS to suit up for a game and then be returned to the PS without going through waivers. However, you cant do this two weeks in a row to the same player and only twice in the season for the same player.

Having said that, the PS players make a lot less than an active roster player. Generally speaking, it is in the financial interest for a player on the PS to take an active roster spot on another team.
And the last part is why I’m very happy Snacks turned down a couple of teams to stay in Seattle. He may not be in football shape yet, but it appears he wants to be with the Hawks. I hope that desire translates to him balling out once he sees the field.