B Wags Press Conference

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
Just watched Bobby's press conference and I gotta say, i've never seen him like this in his entire career. He genuinely seemed defeated and almost depressed. He is so smart and he knows how bad this defense is. It's tough to watch. He's one of my favorite Hawks ever and he got to be a part of so many great defenses and he just looks crushed. Lets hope they turn in around but I'm having a tough time staying optimistic. Look for John to make some moves.

Muzz

Reaction score
I didn’t watch the press conference but I can only imagine he probably feels like he cost his team a win with that ticky tack penalty that extended the drive for a 90+ yard TD.

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
that penalty was garbage and not on Wags at all. He thought the guy caught the ball and made the hit. That one was 100% on the refs. Now the penalties on Benson and DMoe? Those were legit unfortunately.

nwHawk

Reaction score
He's probably pissed at the whole defense... from KNJ on down. No excuse for why the defense sucks so bad.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Muzz":j7qd8fxf said:
I didn’t watch the press conference but I can only imagine he probably feels like he cost his team a win with that ticky tack penalty that extended the drive for a 90+ yard TD.

Totally. If I feel like this, and haven't gotten over it yet... I can't imagine how a Seahawks vet would have taken it.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It all boils down to a lack of pass rush.

Idk how you fix it. I thought Shaquem did a fine job of spying Kyler, but I thought that's why we drafted Brooks? Only rushing 3 plus a spy just allowed Kyler to sit back and read a book.

Idk how this team can fix the pass rush. Blitz Adams when he's back? Wait for Darrell Taylor? What happened to Alton Robinson?

If they can somehow generate a pass rush, that will force the opposing QB into some mistakes. Look at how AZ handled Wilson in the 4th quarter and OT. Textbook zone blitz scheme that confused Wilson.

They have a bad combo right now of lack of talented pass rushers and a poor scheme to generate pressure.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Idk. I think you only get that defeated mentality when you are literally put in a situation you cant do anything to fix. He is not just down on himself. There is a lot more to it.

OP
OP
F

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
When they asked him how he knows the D will be ok, he paused for a while and then said "we have great leadership," which sounds like a fill in for "I can't think of anything. We may not be ok." I think Norton has lost this defense.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Jerhawk":9r5f24zs said:

Idk how you fix it. I thought Shaquem did a fine job of spying Kyler, but I thought that's why we drafted Brooks? Only rushing 3 plus a spy just allowed Kyler to sit back and read a book.

Idk how this team can fix the pass rush. Blitz Adams when he's back? Wait for Darrell Taylor? What happened to Alton Robinson?

If they can somehow generate a pass rush, that will force the opposing QB into some mistakes. Look at how AZ handled Wilson in the 4th quarter and OT. Textbook zone blitz scheme that confused Wilson.

They have a bad combo right now of lack of talented pass rushers and a poor scheme to generate pressure.

Why we drafted brooks? What? You know he was a MLB in college right? Basically another bobby. He doesn't spy QBs. And it's not just a pass rush it's a combination of pass rush and poor pass defense.

PNW

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1eig1ivc said:
Jerhawk":1eig1ivc said:

Why we drafted brooks? What? You know he was a MLB in college right? Basically another bobby. He doesn't spy QBs. And it's not just a pass rush it's a combination of pass rush and poor pass defense.
Agreed also, Murray ran away from Brooks multiple times in the open field, he is not fast enough to spy Murray.

TraderGary

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2ecyvmd9 said:
Idk. I think you only get that defeated mentality when you are literally put in a situation you cant do anything to fix. He is not just down on himself. There is a lot more to it.
You nailed it!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":3iovmu8t said:
Jerhawk":3iovmu8t said:

Yes, I'm well aware what position he played in college. He had remarkable speed. Pretty sure that was the consensus when he was drafted. I could be wrong.

Fixing the pass rush would make the pass defense look a lot better. Tough for these guys to be asked to cover for 8+ seconds.

iigakusei

Reaction score
He knows it can't be fixed this year. No pass rush plus soft coverage = one of the worst defenses ever. I would actually prefer they just say to hell with it and go super aggressive on defense, but Pete will never do it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is the only way to fix this.

Lean into the suck.

Assume you will give up 2-3 long plays per game but you are going to hammer their QB in the meantime. Send the house. Regularly. If you get burned you get burned. The offense will come back to score. Assume you are giving up 30 and put a plan to score 35 on offense. Stop burning your own clock down.

Send guys from all directions and be ready to get 1-2 flags per game from the aggressiveness. You will give up easy scores but you will not be easy to score on consistently.

The goal needs to be creating chaos with constant pressure.

Be unafraid to give up big plays.

Trust your offense to cover for the misses but know you will get enough stops it will be hard for them to keep up with your offense.

That is literally the only solution but I do not think Norton is intelligent enough or even has the coaching acumen to successfully implement this kind of strategy. Some kind of defensive equivalent of the Run and Shoot.

iigakusei

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":31fdtv12 said:

Lean into the suck.

Assume you will give up 2-3 long plays per game but you are going to hammer their QB in the meantime. Send the house. Regularly. If you get burned you get burned. The offense will come back to score. Assume you are giving up 30 and put a plan to score 35 on offense. Stop burning your own clock down.

Send guys from all directions and be ready to get 1-2 flags per game from the aggressiveness. You will give up easy scores but you will not be easy to score on consistently.

Trust your offense to cover for the misses but know you will get enough stops it will be hard for them to keep up with your offense.

That is literally the only solution but I do not think Norton is intelligent enough or even has the coaching acumen to successfully implement this kind of strategy. Some kind of defensive equivalent of the Run and Shoot.
You nailed it - this is the only way to play. Press coverage and no soft zones, creative blitzing, create chaos. I think in these instances Pete's incredible positivity bites them. I honestly believe he thinks they can play the same way and they "will turn it around".

potatohead33

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":a656h2dv said:

Lean into the suck.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago. I'd rather they do this because if you get burned at least there is more time in the game for your offence, it hasn't taken the other team eight minutes and then score a TD anyway.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The defense should come up with a number, say 27, and that should be the number they shoot for. Go full Arena Football.

Keep the opposing team under 27. The offense needs to know it HAS to score 30. If not 35. Our problem is we get a TD or 2 scores ahead and then ratchet way back....trying not to give up the lead we invariably do. We did this against Dallas, Miami, and last night.

The offense needs to know if it is on pace and needs to put up a # that is hard to catch. Having the lead in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd isn't good enough.

It should be no big deal, if not expected, to give up a TD or 2 in a quarter. Carroll loves to go against convention. The biggest way to go against convention is to not worry about giving up TDs. Make it like giving up a 3 point basket. Not great but no big backbreaker if you know you are just going to hit a 3 on your own possession. (in this case, your own TD)

What we need is basketball on grass. We have the tools for it. We just have to execute it. Score in bunches and send the defense in waves of pressure and harassment with no concern for giving up big plays if we can stop a good % of the rest of the opponent drives.

Give up points but score more, because no other strategy will win us anything this year.

TraderGary

Reaction score
iigakusei":3czcgdg2 said:
He knows it can't be fixed this year. No pass rush plus soft coverage = one of the worst defenses ever. I would actually prefer they just say to hell with it and go super aggressive on defense, but Pete will never do it.
I disagree that it can't be fixed this year, at least to an acceptable level. Get Jamal Adams back, somehow find a way to trade for an established pass rusher, and stop lining up 10 effing yards off the LOS to protect against the long pass when all the opposing team needs is a field goal to tie or win the damn game.

Agree about going super aggressive on defense, and also agree that PC would never do that.

Coaching and schemes is at the heart of the matter here. I firmly believe that.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carroll is a defensive secondary coach. He is never going to be OK giving up big plays.

But the last team to have a basketball on grass approach was the Rams, and they won a SB with it. Called it the Greatest Show on Turf. That defense was much better than ours but it gave up plenty of TDs when it missed.

Edit:

People are going to be shocked at what a liability in coverage Adams is. And as teams key on him, he won't get home to the QB either. That was why we needed Blair. I wouldn't count on Adams making too much difference when the issue is not the players.

(Some people are even counting on the defense getting better when the team gets Snacks, which is hilarious. A fatter Eddie Lacey playing DT is NOT going to fix this. )

rcaido

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":tw0kgn8h said:
The defense should come up with a number, say 27, and that should be the number they shoot for. Go full Arena Football.

Keep the opposing team under 27. The offense needs to know it HAS to score 30. If not 35. Our problem is we get a TD or 2 scores ahead and then ratchet way back....trying not to give up the lead we invariably do. We did this against Dallas, Miami, and last night.

The offense needs to know if it is on pace and needs to put up a # that is hard to catch. Having the lead in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd isn't good enough.

It should be no big deal, if not expected, to give up a TD or 2 in a quarter. Carroll loves to go against convention. The biggest way to go against convention is to not worry about giving up TDs. Make it like giving up a 3 point basket. Not great but no big backbreaker if you know you are just going to hit a 3 on your own possession. (in this case, your own TD)

What we need is basketball on grass. We have the tools for it. We just have to execute it. Score in bunches and send the defense in waves of pressure and harassment with no concern for giving up big plays if we can stop a good % of the rest of the opponent drives.

Give up points but score more, because no other strategy will win us anything this year.

Sounds like a fun idea but i dont think we even have to go to this length...We need to just play the opponent offense without a 8yrd cushion. Just having someone on the WR will give enough doubts not to throw there.

On offense, i totally agree...Once you have the lead, continue to play like you're behind. I love the aggressive play call this year going on 4th down. My only request is that on 3rd down or 4th down no matter what, Wilson should have the ball. He is the best player in football, i dont want to see a giveup play for Homer to run. I dont want a backup RB to got 3rd and 2. I want Wilson with the ball. i can live with whatever happens happen.