Wilson was amazing on some plays but he admits he lost game.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I respect his honesty he straight up is admitting his 3 interceptions were the reason we lost.

It's very rare to see someone be so honest but... I'm gonna take this as a learning experience....

Hubris if you will... they just seemed to be too cocky tonight. They felt invincible but really they are playing against world class athletes EVERY SINGLE NIGHT... ya good wake up call you can't win without playing really well... Lesson learned.

I remember 2 of Wilson's interceptions vividily:

1) He totally overthrew Metcalf who spotted up on the goal line and the ball just flew 15 feet over his head...

I think it's understandable, Wilson has a huge arm but Metcalf saw the 100% touchdown opportunity and it was like a 1-2 second delay in air time... right? Metcalf spotted up but Wilson threw it like Metcal would run further for a jump ball, just miscommunication pretty simple.

2) He threw it right into what appeared to be a 3 man zone defense...

I'm not sure if the play was drawn up so Lockett would spot up between those 3 and try to run 1-2 more yards for a first down... but the way it looked on TV Lockett recognized play was dead if he hits that zone gap so he went for the first down or maybe a touchdown beating 3 defenders but Wilson threw it between the 3????

3) I'm not gonna lie I will need to rewatch the game to remember the exact details of the first interception... Wasn't it kind of like the last games interception it just didnt make sense???

Conclusions:

- This is a good wake up call that we can't just be cocky and throw it like we are the greatest ever instead of playing smart like we normally do. There is a chance the receivers messed up every single play of all 3 interceptions (that's how good Wilson is)... but Wilson should be ready for mistakes even if that's what happened. We can't have that many turnovers and I'm a Wilson fan... I'm just speaking truths.

- Wilson seemed to lose momentum after Metcalf sprinted past him to save the pick 6... Maybe it's a coincidence but Wilson seemed mentally tilted after this play probably for his own interception but... he didn't include Metcalf very much for the rest of the game...

I mean maybe it was just a bad night for Wilson but... It looked weird is all I'm saying...

- Our Offense looked a little off, I like the involvement of our Tight Ends, Lockett, David Moore... but DK Metcalf was missing and our offensive line got a little rekt...

HOT TAKE: I think Wilson was why we lost, and he's getting a little overconfident or just not distrubuting the ball correctly. Why can't he hit our tight ends, lockett, and Metcalf + have a running game at the same time... always something is overly used or missing its weird imo.

ducks41468

Reaction score
The concern with Wilson is that he's never been able to maintain a truly elite level for long stretches and fizzles out over the course of a season. It also doesn't help that our defense and now our lack of RB's gives him zero margin for error. He basically has to put up 450+ yards and 4+ TD's for us to even have a chance nowadays.

TreeRon

Reaction score
I can think of at least three elite quarterbacks that have had ho-hum or even poor games this year so he's not the only "elite" quarterback that has been less than elite (or inconsistent). Yes, he was intercepted three times but we should be able to win games if we score 34 points.
Nothing exposed our defense more than the series in overtime esp. when compared to Arizona's.
While they used schemes to put pressure on Wilson, we changed nothing NOTHING. We were so predictable that Arizona could run their offense knowing exactly what to expect.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Every QB who has ever played in the NFL has had a few bad games. The first pick was actually the Budda Baker one that DK ran down, and that was all on Russ. But the 2nd pick which flew way past DK was not, and Collingsworth indicated DK broke off his route too soon. The 3rd pick in OT was just bizarre, no receivers were even looking for the ball, it is possible someone ran the wrong route.

There is a tendency to always blame the QB on picks, but sometimes the receiver runs an incorrect route. When the pass is nowhere near a receiver, that is often the case.

To say Russ has not maintained an elite level for an extended period is ridiculous. He has dealt with awful pass protection for years, and has consistently been among elite QBs in the league for the past few seasons. It is bizarre how many Russ-haters there are. Without him we are a 4-12 team. With him we make the playoffs almost every year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Wilson signed and drafted the D? He calls the plays in D? Wilson and the O didn't lose the game, our terrible D that makes Wilson have to be perfect so we can win did.

PNW

Reaction score
Wilson said that because that’s what great leaders do, they don’t point fingers. I don’t care what he says, I saw a historically bad defense give the game away. Russ feels he needs to press and score 40 points, this is going to happen more often unfortunately, Russ can’t be super human every game. We don’t expect the LOB, we just want an average, mediocre D.

rcaido

Reaction score
Wilson took a lot of chances this game. Throwing the ball that could be intercepted on quite a few plays which he normally plays it safe. Almost seem like he was trying to "pad" his stats which is not like Wilson at all. Seem like he was floating all his passes too.

Also, whatever happened to the screen? Those plays were working beautiful for us in the first few games.

I really thought this was going to be an easy game for us, i guess the curse continues in that arena. We had it in the bag but bonehead penalties the refs were waiting to call.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We scored 34.

His picks did not turn into scores (at least 2 did not).

We came back to take the lead with under 2 min.

Not sure what you want the guy to do ?

If he does not score every drive it is his fault?

Lots of blame to go around but those picks are the result of having a terrible DC where you know you have to score because the DC is going to give up scores.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1xtjquiz said:
Every QB who has ever played in the NFL has had a few bad games. The first pick was actually the Budda Baker one that DK ran down, and that was all on Russ. But the 2nd pick which flew way past DK was not, and Collingsworth indicated DK broke off his route too soon. The 3rd pick in OT was just bizarre, no receivers were even looking for the ball, it is possible someone ran the wrong route.

There is a tendency to always blame the QB on picks, but sometimes the receiver runs an incorrect route. When the pass is nowhere near a receiver, that is often the case.

To say Russ has not maintained an elite level for an extended period is ridiculous. He has dealt with awful pass protection for years, and has consistently been among elite QBs in the league for the past few seasons. It is bizarre how many Russ-haters there are. Without him we are a 4-12 team. With him we make the playoffs almost every year.

Agreed, and well said. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I know we all thought Russell was super human, but he's not. Even as insanely amazing as he's been this year, he's going to have halves like we saw last night.

After the Baker pick on the goal line, you could tell his confidence was shaken. Russell was much more hesitant and less confident as the game wore on with his throws and what he was seeing.

But, give Arizona credit too. Joseph switched up the Cardinal's defense in the 2nd half, they blitzed and played more physical, and it paid off.

Unlike Norton and our defense, which continued to play scared and soft.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It doesn't change the fact that he is and has been one of the best finishers in league history.
Every top tier HOF level QB has had games where they just don't get it done at the end. He knows he didn't finish the job. But come on, it is pretty damn rare that he doesn't.
And he doesn't play defense, just sayin. They wouldn't even have been in that position w/out his ridiculous play in the 1st half and those incredibly throws. Including the 4th and 2 TD that put them up 10 before the DEFENSE choked it away.
He's the type of QB who will come out even more focused. If people want to jump on the guy after what we have seen from him? Have at it. I'm not worried about Russ one bit. I'm a lot more worried about a swiss cheese Defense, absolutely NO pass rush and the play calling that I saw in OT.

The one game that Russ doesn't play lights out at the end of the game, and all the sudden he's "old" and "wearing down" etc. Agree to disagree. You CAN'T just rely on 35 points a game and mistake free football every week. TEAM loss, and that defense better damn well get better. Come on Russ, win the game for us, even if we allow the opponent to get almost 600 yards. Meh, that's too much to ask of any quarterback. Just my opinion.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
At the rate he's playing since this last week, we'll be 5-11 to finish the season. If he wanted to cook, he should have become a chef.

TypeSly

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1d3o0fcn said:
It doesn't change the fact that he is and has been one of the best finishers in league history.
Every top tier HOF level QB has had games where they just don't get it done at the end. He knows he didn't finish the job. But come on, it is pretty damn rare that he doesn't.
And he doesn't play defense, just sayin. They wouldn't even have been in that position w/out his ridiculous play in the 1st half and those incredibly throws. Including the 4th and 2 TD that put them up 10 before the DEFENSE choked it away.
He's the type of QB who will come out even more focused. If people want to jump on the guy after what we have seen from him? Have at it. I'm not worried about Russ one bit. I'm a lot more worried about a swiss cheese Defense, absolutely NO pass rush and the play calling that I saw in OT.

The one game that Russ doesn't play lights out at the end of the game, and all the sudden he's "old" and "wearing down" etc. Agree to disagree. You CAN'T just rely on 35 points a game and mistake free football every week. TEAM loss, and that defense better damn well get better. Come on Russ, win the game for us, even if we allow the opponent to get almost 600 yards. Meh, that's too much to ask of any quarterback. Just my opinion.

Agreed. I think it's crazy that people are jumping on Russ, without humping on Russ lol. One "bad" game in which he puts up 34 pts, and yes, with 3 TO's (2 of which didn't result in a score against). He's one of the only reasons we are where we are, at the top of the division.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":rvbcsuri said:
We scored 34.

Lots of blame to go around but those picks are the result of having a terrible DC where you know you have to score because the DC is going to give up scores.

Why did his 2 picks not turn into scores? because the D stepped up!!

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Gotta' be honest, I was shocked they didn't score on either of those first 2 picks.
Shoot, that play by DK was incredible. You can't teach that desire to win. Totally selfless team play. He saved a TD, and they didn't even score. Shoot, even cheap shot Baker gave him props after the game for catching him on what looked like a sure pick 6. (really bad play call and throw for the record)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm at a loss when reading "the concern with Wilson is he can't sustain" or whatever was said. At 9 years in the league he's as good as anyone has ever been statistically. He's fine. He was a little off last night but Russ is a first ballot hall of famer and people are apparently spoiled if they're waiting for the Babe Ruth level dominance of QB's for them to be happy. He had a bad game, it happens.

John63

Reaction score
LTH":3n8xyd0h said:
TwistedHusky":3n8xyd0h said:
We scored 34.

Why did his 2 picks not turn into scores? because the D stepped up!!

LTH

great so they did their jobs 20% of the game and the other 80% they were giving up 37 points

edogg23

Reaction score
You let Russ continue to cook. With this D if we aren’t up by at least 9 we are actually losing.