4 THOUGHTS

FROZENHAWK

Reaction score
I have been a member of this board for many years but don't post often. However, as I am now quarantined for two weeks due to COVID-19 exposure :pukeface: I have some extra time. I am an NBA fan and on the message board I read for the NBA a poster has something called 4 THOUGHTS. It's a neat little write up after the game and so I put one together for the first time.

4 Thoughts:

1. COVERAGE OR LACK OF

Why do we insist on constantly playing 6-8 yards off of receivers and giving up chunks of yardage and allow teams to go down the field and get cheap points? I have coached football for years and understand not getting beat over the top but this continued behavior is ridiculous. It nearly cost us the NE and MINN games as well. It is maddening to watch. Give a cushion to Hopkins but make it 3-4 yards so you have a chance to make a play on a dig or comeback route. Any time a team wants or needs an intermediate chunk they have it with that D alignment. I am not in the D meeting rooms each week and do not have all the information but IMHO it helped cost us the game (albeit with help from a myriad of other mistakes) as it allowed the Cards to march down the field to end regulation and tie it up and set up the game winning FG in OT. Collinsworth made the comment about it as well on the game winning drive.

2. GAME MANAGEMENT 101

This one drove me nuts last night. On the broadcast Chris Collinsworth noted that Budda Baker kept timing up the snap count and getting pressure. This became a theme last night with the Cardinals as the game went on. I think their DC noticed the same thing that I did last night and that was that RW and the Hawks were consistently snapping the ball with nearly no time or 0 on the play clock. Baker and the Card D were teeing off in part because they knew exactly when the ball was going to be snapped. Get the darn play called make your reads and get the ball snapped at 2-3 seconds and maybe you have a just a little more time in the pocket to make a read as the rusher are a step slower. As the game wore on it got worse and worse. Russ actually burned 2 TO because of it. It is infuriating because the offense can operate at warp speed when it needs to, as a matter of fact I think RW is a better QB in that mode.

3. PLAY CALLING

Do we have any RB screen plays in our playbook? How about a quick slant to the T-1000 a.k.a. DK Metcalf. How about any other blitz beater quick route that every other team in the league seems to have but us. I am sorry folks but we have a once in a lifetime QB who has all the ingredients around him to be successful and our coaches for some reason cannot get the play down to him before the clock is running out or dial up a blitz beater. Also, when in the world did Patrick Peterson become in his prime Deion Sanders? At some point you through a go route to the T-1000 and give him a chance to make a play. We basically went away from whatever side of the field DK was on. It was bizarre to watch.

4. OFFICIATING

This on is a rant but a rant I feel is justified... BWAGS gets nailed for a personal foul unnecessary roughness call that kept the Cards drive alive deep in their own territory and they go down and get a TD. On the other side of the coin the Cards should have been hit with 3-4 major penalties in the game for facemask and targeting. Baker should have been ejected for the helmet to helmet hit on Homer. I know that there are missed calls in every game and the Hawks have benefitted from a few (doesn't seem like to many through the years) but there were some horrible missed calls in the game last night. Refs didn't cost Hawks the game...see above...but a couple of flags really did change the momentum of the game IMHO

fenderbender123

Reaction score
That penalty on Wagner was about the worst call I've ever seen in my life.

TypeSly

Reaction score
1) Pressure-less D-line, that makes every opposing QB look like an All-Star.

2) Soft zone, that leaves opposing receivers 5 yards open, all game, every game.

3) Excellent, powerful feature running back, who's never on the field.

4) The best offence in the NFL, (averaging 33.8 pts/game while having a very soft schedule up to this point), yet we are biting our nails at the end of every game.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It is rare for ANY team to overcome 3 turnovers, especially 3 like we had, and especially a team with a defense leaking like an old rusty bucket.
They won twice and we won once, beating ourselves with a disastrous penalty on that occasion.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Anyone spot a Seattle TE in the last few weeks? Do we even have any TE's on this team? Just wondering.

zetes

Reaction score
fenderbender123":ldgdv862 said:
You must not have seen Super bowl XL.

Z.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
TypeSly":iwmd2hz0 said:

If you are referring to Hyde, he is a good back, an excellent #2, but no longer a feature RB. Look only to that 3rd down carry with 1:40 left in the game. If Carson were in there, I'd say there would be a much better chance of converting the 1st down and winning the game in regulation. That's why Carson is the starter. His foot injury is a huge concern going forward.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Tusc2000":201gh62g said:
TypeSly":201gh62g said:

If you are referring to Hyde, he is a good back, an excellent #2, but no longer a feature RB. Look only to that 3rd down carry with 1:40 left in the game. If Carson were in there, I'd say there would be a much better chance of converting the 1st down and winning the game in regulation. That's why Carson is the starter. His foot injury is a huge concern going forward.

No, I was referring to the often hurt RB Carson.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3hb5akbo said:
TypeSly":3hb5akbo said:

Didn't Hyde have over 1000 yds last year?

Not sure he's that much of a drop off from Carson, who admittedly I'd like to have in addition of course.

Hyde is fine. Carson is great too, if we can just keep him healthy.

Momofantv

Reaction score
It’s easy this offense is not that good, the teams we’ve beaten have a collective best 2 wins being Dallas and ATL and well both teams aren’t very good, yes we beat them when they were healthy etc but doesn’t matter.

Our two star WRs go silent like in the Vikings game if covered two deep, because we depend on deep balls instead of trying to work the middle. We hardly ever work the middle with DK, sometimes we do with Lockett but then there’s games like the last two aside from this Arizona game where Lockett is silent and shut down.

We need to trade something for a DE a CB and a WR3 who can work the middle on short stuff constantly. Flash Gordon isn’t it; we can’t depend on a dude who’s not even playing football and last time he played he played three games (if that) and got suspended for a failed test.

Yes they don’t drug test for weed now, that’s not the problem he typically fails for other drugs compared to weed. We can’t depend on him when he might not be there, Dorset is a deep guy he doesn’t work the middle.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Momofantv":1hsxb2tm said:
It’s easy this offense is not that good, the teams we’ve beaten have a collective best 2 wins being Dallas and ATL

Isn't Miami 3-3, and Atlanta 1-6? Not that this is a very strong point on my part :mrgreen: .

D

DomeHawk

The story of this game is so simple.

1. No pressure on the QB, we made Tyler Murray look a lot better than he is.

1. Game management, this is another example of Pete costing us an important game. Yes, Pete has been a great coach for us but he has cost us too.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
1. Tre Flowers has zero confidence in himself and is afraid of getting beat deep, even in obvious short yardage situations. He is basically a baseball closer that has blown 20 saves at this point and is damaged goods. Sad situation but they need to move on. I also blame Pete as Tre was a Safety to begin with and they tried to make him into something he's not.

TypeSly

Reaction score
FloridaSeahawk18":13vcj00q said:
1. Tre Flowers has zero confidence in himself and is afraid of getting beat deep, even in obvious short yardage situations. He is basically a baseball closer that has blown 20 saves at this point and is damaged goods. Sad situation but they need to move on. I also blame Pete as Tre was a Safety to begin with and they tried to make him into something he's not.

Agreed, that he shouldn't have been shifted from Safety to CB (Since CB is the hardest position to play in football), but him playing 10-15 yards off the receiver is the play call.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
MTHAWK":102p5abl said:
I have been a member of this board for many years but don't post often. However, as I am now quarantined for two weeks due to COVID-19 exposure :pukeface: I have some extra time. I am an NBA fan and on the message board I read for the NBA a poster has something called 4 THOUGHTS. It's a neat little write up after the game and so I put one together for the first time.

4 Thoughts:

1. COVERAGE OR LACK OF

Why do we insist on constantly playing 6-8 yards off of receivers and giving up chunks of yardage and allow teams to go down the field and get cheap points? I have coached football for years and understand not getting beat over the top but this continued behavior is ridiculous. It nearly cost us the NE and MINN games as well. It is maddening to watch. Give a cushion to Hopkins but make it 3-4 yards so you have a chance to make a play on a dig or comeback route. Any time a team wants or needs an intermediate chunk they have it with that D alignment. I am not in the D meeting rooms each week and do not have all the information but IMHO it helped cost us the game (albeit with help from a myriad of other mistakes) as it allowed the Cards to march down the field to end regulation and tie it up and set up the game winning FG in OT. Collinsworth made the comment about it as well on the game winning drive.

2. GAME MANAGEMENT 101

This one drove me nuts last night. On the broadcast Chris Collinsworth noted that Budda Baker kept timing up the snap count and getting pressure. This became a theme last night with the Cardinals as the game went on. I think their DC noticed the same thing that I did last night and that was that RW and the Hawks were consistently snapping the ball with nearly no time or 0 on the play clock. Baker and the Card D were teeing off in part because they knew exactly when the ball was going to be snapped. Get the darn play called make your reads and get the ball snapped at 2-3 seconds and maybe you have a just a little more time in the pocket to make a read as the rusher are a step slower. As the game wore on it got worse and worse. Russ actually burned 2 TO because of it. It is infuriating because the offense can operate at warp speed when it needs to, as a matter of fact I think RW is a better QB in that mode.

3. PLAY CALLING

Do we have any RB screen plays in our playbook? How about a quick slant to the T-1000 a.k.a. DK Metcalf. How about any other blitz beater quick route that every other team in the league seems to have but us. I am sorry folks but we have a once in a lifetime QB who has all the ingredients around him to be successful and our coaches for some reason cannot get the play down to him before the clock is running out or dial up a blitz beater. Also, when in the world did Patrick Peterson become in his prime Deion Sanders? At some point you through a go route to the T-1000 and give him a chance to make a play. We basically went away from whatever side of the field DK was on. It was bizarre to watch.

4. OFFICIATING

This on is a rant but a rant I feel is justified... BWAGS gets nailed for a personal foul unnecessary roughness call that kept the Cards drive alive deep in their own territory and they go down and get a TD. On the other side of the coin the Cards should have been hit with 3-4 major penalties in the game for facemask and targeting. Baker should have been ejected for the helmet to helmet hit on Homer. I know that there are missed calls in every game and the Hawks have benefitted from a few (doesn't seem like to many through the years) but there were some horrible missed calls in the game last night. Refs didn't cost Hawks the game...see above...but a couple of flags really did change the momentum of the game IMHO

If you master the first three, or at least be above average, than officiating doesn't become an issue. You cannot run a game where the officiating is going to decide the outcome.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2kun2ys4 said:
It wasn't event he worst call/noncall in the game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fender is right, that call was absolutely putrid. There is NO reason to call that. It took away a huge 3rd and out stop and changed the entire game.

rjdriver

Reaction score
MTHAWK":3fu7rmz1 said:

4 Thoughts:

1. COVERAGE OR LACK OF

2. GAME MANAGEMENT 101

3. PLAY CALLING

4. OFFICIATING

Three things...

1. Wish you health after your exposure and a speedy recovery if you come down with it.
2. You should post more often...solid material.
3. What is this "NBA" of which you speak? I seem to recall a memory of such a thing prior to July 2 , 2008..but it's hazy.

John63

Reaction score
MTHAWK":1ywn4mik said:

4 Thoughts:

1. COVERAGE OR LACK OF

2. GAME MANAGEMENT 101

3. PLAY CALLING

4. OFFICIATING

I agree with all, especially the snap. This is typical PC wanting to, milk the clock.

HawksBrazil

Reaction score
TypeSly":2m4da162 said:
Anyone spot a Seattle TE in the last few weeks? Do we even have any TE's on this team? Just wondering.
From all games that happened yesterday, there was just 1 team with more receiving yards from tight ends than we had yesterday. So yes, they have been spotted and we do have them producing at a very acceptable pace.