The Morning After: My Take

kidhawk

Reaction score
There was a time when i'd spend the week moaning and groaning about the officiating, the RW interceptions & that atrocious defense, but with time and age, I try not to dwell on losses beyond the same day.

For me, My take away from this game is going to be only one thing, and that is just how much of a stud athlete DK Metcalf is. We all knew he was faster than average, but watching him run down Baker last night had me awestruck.

I know it's been talked about (especially throughout the gameday forum), but I just felt it was something positive that had such a wow factor that we can remember it for the great play it was, even in a loss.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1320546282776064000[/tweet]

W

Welshers

He's got a great, great future. Wish we had got him more involved last night. The screen play in OT that almost won it, save the Moore penalty, was just what we needed. Showed his athleticism. Tough loss but I like the attitude. Move on and gear up for a GIANT division game next week. Let's go Hawks and hope the Bears do as a favor tonight.

LTH

Reaction score
They should have won this game but that holding call screwed them that was a really nice play by Metcalf... the guy is a freak of nature for sure..

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Honestly,

I think that even without the hold, Metcalf would have made the 1st. He is so big and shakes off tackles. He was almost at a good speed and tends to spin off guys. And needed something like 3-4 yds.

He wouldn't have scored but the drive would have stayed alive. We likely would have scored.

A lot of dumb penalties last night. Moore wasn't exempt.

But we should have gone to Metcalf more last night.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely. Worst case, he gets very close to the first down. But with his speed, size, momentum etc. he could have had that first down w/out the hold imo.

potatohead33

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ztc5193 said:
Honestly,

I think that even without the hold, Metcalf would have made the 1st. He is so big and shakes off tackles. He was almost at a good speed and tends to spin off guys. And needed something like 3-4 yds.

He wouldn't have scored but the drive would have stayed alive. We likely would have scored.

A lot of dumb penalties last night. Moore wasn't exempt.

But we should have gone to Metcalf more last night.

This was the real disappointment, I thought the same thing. I would rather have had Moore have no hold and DK just get a first. We probably kick a FG and win in that scenario.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
That play was awesome!

I was furious after the loss, but once I cooled off I just had to put things in perspective, you know?

DK is a great player and I'm excited to see what he can do.
I wish that they could've found more ways to get him involved offensively.

The way to beat the blitz is a screen. I thought that playcall was a good way to counter Arizona's aggressive defense. Its unfortunate that it wasn't executed well (referring to the OT wife receiver screen), but going forward I hope to see more of that.
I would love to see DK get the ball on a reverse or a fly sweep with a head of speed. I'm confident he could break a big one. He may even truck a linebacker for all we know man.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Take a few plays from Shanahan's playback and I'd like to see DK get some carries like SF give to DeBoo Samuel.

LTH

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2icunshq said:
Take a few plays from Shanahan's playback and I'd like to see DK get some carries like SF give to DeBoo Samuel.

Yes! the jet sweep! ya wonder if Schotty is thinking about that?

LTH

John63

Reaction score
DK is a flat out BEAST who will only get better. One of my favorites on the team